Mangagamer Survey

sanahtlig

From: http://blog.mangagamer.org/2015/01/23/the-2015-mangagamer-licensing-survey/

The survey polls users for their tastes in genre, format (digital or boxed), version (ero or non-ero), platform (e.g., PC, console), and asks for suggested titles and favored developers.  Participants are eligible for a raffle for a free Steam key for minori's Eden.

Survey link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/13a8QHOhDX44j6O22EsN3L73AwNTezr22gnWfIlRNAig/viewform

Just wrote Muramasa into the field asking you for the VN you'd like to see licensed. What have I done.

Muramasa is licensed by JAST already, alas. Rumors have it Makoto is actually translating it, expect it by 2020 (optimistic prevision).

Filled up. Get dem hard copies coming! I didn't really know what to put in the VN you'd like to see licensed field though, so I just said "moar Steampunk series translated by koestl!".

Muramasa is licensed by JAST already, alas. Rumors have it Makoto is actually translating it, expect it by 2020 (optimistic prevision).

Filled up. Get dem hard copies coming! I didn't really know what to put in the VN you'd like to see licensed field though, so I just said "moar Steampunk series translated by koestl!".

O-oh... Well, my second entry was SubaHibi and third Dies Irae, so either way I was just picking things that will never happen. :D

Does JAST actually do anything with their licenses? Don't they still own Chaos;Head too, or was that someone else?

On topic though, also went all for physical copies. Getting all the bonus stuff (even if it's completely useless) always makes the purchase so much better.

Does JAST actually do anything with their licenses? Don't they still own Chaos;Head too, or was that someone else?

They licensed Nitro+ games en masse at some point (~2010 I think, after they licensed and successfully got Demonbane out). I don't think there's any point expecting Nitro+ games from anybody else.

Now they're sitting on them and slowly putting them out. The thing is, contrary to MG and SP we actually know they got those licenses, so it feels like it takes them much longer to actually do something. For all we know MG might have been sitting on some licenses for years already, they just didn't announce it.

O-oh... Well, my second entry was SubaHibi and third Dies Irae, so either way I was just picking things that will never happen. :D

Looking forward to them finding a translator for Dies Irae :P. Apparently Makoto (who translates Muramasa and is one of the best translator out there, according to most people) said he wouldn't even consider translating something as hard as Dies.

Eustia, Okujou no Yurirei-san, Bokusen (that's not released yet or anything but what the hell, was having a hard time finding anything I really wanted)

Tried to make /reasonable/ suggestions (koestl even mentioned Okujou no Yurirei-san a bit since it's actually by liar-soft. Also srs yuri!). No nitro+ because JAST partnered, no T-M because very unlikely (and in that case Sekai Project will probably get it...), no iroseka because apparently you need the FD to really appreciate it fully and there's no telling if that would be TL'd as well... etc etc.

The deal with Muramasa is that Makoto already began translating it years ago before JAST started licensing Nitro+ stuff en masse. He got a decent chunk of the way through the game, but then ended up sidetracked with a lot of JAST projects once that started up. He keeps saying that he'll go back to it, officially backed by JAST, but recently he had to postpone the projects he postponed muramasa for in order to help out on stuff like romanesque and sumaga. So yeah, 2020 sounds about right.

I put down Tsujidou-san, Asairo, and since I felt especially rambunctious, Senshinkan. I know the later is especially unlikely but I guess I just felt like I wanted to push them into a more diverse direction, away from the bog-standard slice of life romance stuff they usually do. It seems like they're headed that way anyway but it doesn't hurt to let them know that's the kind of thing I want to see more of.

In honor of the upcoming release of eden* and to celebrate the beginning of a bright new year, we’re holding our first ever licensing survey! 

Is this really their first survey? For some reason I keep thinking I filled one out for them in 2012...

hmmm...

I put down Tsujidou-san, Asairo, and since I felt especially rambunctious, Senshinkan. I know the later is especially unlikely but I guess I just felt like I wanted to push them into a more diverse direction, away from the bog-standard slice of life romance stuff they usually do. It seems like they're headed that way anyway but it doesn't hurt to let them know that's the kind of thing I want to see more of.

FWIW: http://forums.mangagamer.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=79&start=45#p3734

One of the reasons I didn't pick it, realism lol.

God no, if anything, I'd rather leave the quality stuff to people who are paid to do it and do a better job of it. BTW, you're a pirate for downloading the games even if you're using a free translation patch. There is literally no difference, either way you're playing the game without giving money to the creators. It's interesting to see such an arbitrary line drawn.

edit: I'm kind of surprised at the lack of loli games being recommended by our users considering amount of lolicons being harbored here. On that note: http://mangagamerstaff.tumblr.com/post/108985580034/are-there-any-series-or-specific-genres-themes Monobeno? No bueno.

God no, if anything, I'd rather leave the quality stuff to people who are paid to do it and do a better job of it. BTW, you're a pirate for downloading the games even if you're using a free translation patch. There is literally no difference, either way you're playing the game without giving money to the creators. It's interesting to see such an arbitrary line drawn.

edit: I'm kind of surprised at the lack of loli games being recommended by our users considering amount of lolicons being harbored here. On that note: http://mangagamerstaff.tumblr.com/post/108985580034/are-there-any-series-or-specific-genres-themes Monobeno? No bueno.

I personally like the anime community model of self policing what is ok to fan translate and distribute. Once it gets licensed in the west it becomes hands off and most places take down the material. Sometimes it can be a race to watch something before it gets licensed.