Ever 17 (CLOSED)

I'm a while into this, and while I'm glad to finally be able to play it, I can't help but notice the various grammar problems. Missing commas all over the place, missing spaces and capitalization... Maybe it's just because I'm an editor with another translation group, but these things stand out to me.

I'm a while into this, and while I'm glad to finally be able to play it, I can't help but notice the various grammar problems. Missing commas all over the place, missing spaces and capitalization... Maybe it's just because I'm an editor with another translation group, but these things stand out to me.

They drive me nuts, too. Unfortunately, bad grammar is an aspect of fan translation that's difficult to correct once patches are released and groups disappear : (. That's part of the reason why I'm really excited about the newest iteration of Visual Novel Reader coming out.

Is it not fixable? I was under the impression that all these VNs had been translated by this group, Fuwanovel.

Fuwanovel's not a translation group, it's a website collecting download links of the existing translations of VNs (plus a community of VN lovers). Although some of the people (notably Aaeru) who founded this website do translations.

Editing the text would require a rehack of the game and would be a major pain in the ass... Never heard of re-translation projects going to an end, so we have to deal with what we have (or learn moon speak)

Didn't somebody do an edit of the dialogue file for Ever 17? I think they went in and cleaned up a lot of these issues so it reads a lot better. I don't know details though since I've never used it before...

If that were the case, I'd be really irritated. There's just no excuse when it's an official thing.

The early Final Fantasy titles and many other games that were brought to the US had the same issues due to low translation budgets and time constraints. I imagine for a VN, the issues would be the same. A very small team translating using a very small budget. If you feel like editing Ever17, by all means please do. But remember, you are playing it for free and it is easily readable.

To legally play the game, you'd need to pay upwards of $200, and no matter what the budget, that is not an excuse for a sloppy job. I'm on a team with only two others, and none of us are getting paid anything. But we still go to great lengths to ensure the quality of the product. That should be all the more true if you are releasing a product officially and expect people to pay money for it.

To legally play the game, you'd need to pay upwards of $200, and no matter what the budget, that is not an excuse for a sloppy job. I'm on a team with only two others, and none of us are getting paid anything. But we still go to great lengths to ensure the quality of the product. That should be all the more true if you are releasing a product officially and expect people to pay money for it.

Except that the game is out of print, thus the reason for high prices is from individual sellers who want to make a profit on an item that is fairly rare. Especially for the English version, in comparison to a Japanese version.

The publisher doesn't get any money from the copies you would purchase nowadays, unless you bought one of the newer re-releases, and even then KID died as a company, and their property is now owned by Cyberfront.