Rance series - what's translated and what's good?

Zodai

So, a while back I downloaded Sengoku Rance in addition to a few other games I had on my list.

Despite my initial concerns of it being the 'rape as character development' game I had heard it was, holy fuck I was not expecting it to be this good.  I'm usually one of the anti-sex scene people and even I can say it was more well-done than most games on that front.

After looking through Fuwa a bit more, the number of games there seems to be...limited, at best, in addition to being a lot older graphically than Sengoku Rance.

Which ones are translated?  Among those, which ones are worth playing?  Which ones are most recent, and if there are translated ones unavailable on Fuwa, is there a specific reason they aren't?

Regrettably, I'm not very familiar with the franchise at all, which is why I turn to you, fellow Forum-folk.  Would anyone be willing to assist me?

KosakiFag made a pretty good thread showing which ones are translated here. Sengoku is pretty much standalone so it isn't a bad place to start. For the other ones in the series I would say to start from the beginning if you are interested in the story. Rance 1 isn't really worth playing much but there is a digest version that covers the important parts. Then play Rance 02, Rance III, Rance 4 and Rance 4.1 and 4.2. Kichikuou is the latest one translated. Not really sure why some of them they aren't available on Fuwa. Personally I really liked 4 and the remake of 2.

KosakiFag made a pretty good thread showing which ones are translated here. Sengoku is pretty much standalone so it isn't a bad place to start. For the other ones in the series I would say to start from the beginning if you are interested in the story. Rance 1 isn't really worth playing much but there is a digest version that covers the important parts. Then play Rance 02, Rance III, Rance 4 and Rance 4.1 and 4.2. Kichikuou is the latest one translated. Not really sure why some of them they aren't available on Fuwa. Personally I really liked 4 and the remake of 2.

I see, thanks for the info.  Are the downloads on the thread torrent-based, or are they using a different format, such as .rar?  It would be quite useful information?

Aside from that, how is Daibanchou?  It seems to be of a similar level to Sengoku Rance graphics-wise.  How similar is it to the Rance series?

Rance pls.

If possible, do play it in chronological order. Although starting from Sengoku might be inevitable, since I myself started from that. It was just so good that it changed my outlook in basically everything that's related to h-scenes. Well, at least a little.

About Rance games missing... I think it was because they're not legit VNs or something. I can't really remember it clearly, since it's been a few months since I discussed that topic. It goes against the slogan of 'making VNs popular in the west', where Rance is more of a game, rather than a visual novel. In other words, the ever continuous debate on whether a game can be called a visual novel or not affected the sharing of the Rance games on the site as well. You can find them in the link though. :D

It has an interesting lore. That's my main drive in playing the games. Also, h-scenes.

Daibanchou is a nice way of spending your free time. Like, you can't really get everything without following guides. And the actions you need to take to clear things are oddly specific. It's fun though. Try it out.

Yep rar. And If you liked Rance then you might like Daibanchou since it is pretty similar.

Dammit.  Not very good at extracting .rar files.  I usually uninstall Winrar after I'm finished using it, so re-installing tends to be a pain in the ass.  Are there easier ways to unpack .rar files?

Truth be told it's the same with Utorrent, but at the very least I find that easier to sort through.  Utorrent tends to be more difficult ><

And thanks, Kosaki.  I'm not much for 100% completion on a first run, though.  But thanks for the tip anyway :P

Dammit.  Not very good at extracting .rar files.  I usually uninstall Winrar after I'm finished using it, so re-installing tends to be a pain in the ass.  Are there easier ways to unpack .rar files?

Truth be told it's the same with Utorrent, but at the very least I find that easier to sort through.  Utorrent tends to be more difficult ><

I don't get it. Why would you uninstall a program that's basically free?

If you don't like it, 7zip's also there for you.

They have almost the same extraction speed though.

I don't get it. Why would you uninstall a program that's basically free?

If you don't like it, 7zip's also there for you.

They have almost the same extraction speed though.

Personally, I'm not sure anymore why I uninstall Winrar.  The Utorrent thing is more a protection measure, both because I'd rather keep myself to legal methods if it's something I know I can get reliably, and because I'd rather not accidentally risk the safety of my computer, considering the massive amount of false piracy-related downloads that just turn out to be viruses and whatnot.

More a personal choice than anything else, though.  I'll grab 7zip and get Rance 2's remake sometime soon.  After that I suppose I'll go for Daibanchou off the Fuwa site?  Do Rance 4's graphics seem to detract from the experience to some degree, or does it more or less go unnoticed as time goes on, such as Tsukihime (They weren't perfect, but they served the game quite well.)

I never minded the graphics, heh.

Actually, they were quite good for an old game.

The h-scenes were still nice.

Or is it because I'm at the lewd point of no return?

Anyway, the main appeal is the dialogue anyway.

And how things get related with each other after each game.

It all falls in place after some time.

You going with Rance 02 first?

I never minded the graphics, heh.

Actually, they were quite good for an old game.

The h-scenes were still nice.

Or is it because I'm at the lewd point of no return?

Anyway, the main appeal is the dialogue anyway.

And how things get related with each other after each game.

It all falls in place after some time.

You going with Rance 02 first?

The first one seems far too aged for my tastes from a technological/graphic standpoint.  I'd rather wait til the first one's remake is finished.

That's going to take a while.

Gekkou just suddenly appeared and disappeared, leaving that 2% progress behind. It's been a long while since he disappeared.

I mean, he only posted one time. We could already interpret that as 'false hope'.

Given that Ludo already died as well in the general, we have no way of knowing what the actual progress is.

You also can't count on Arunaru doing 01 anymore, since he has a line of games that he wants to translate after Mamatoto, which starts with Rance VI. He might, but not in the near future.

You can always read the digest version, you know...

Regrettably, I'm not sure where to find it.  Didn't see it on the translated games list Q_Q

I still have others in the franchise to play through anyway.  I'm usually a chronological order person myself but this seems like such a long series I've sort of given up on playing it full chronologically TBH.

Waiting still seems like the most viable option on my end.  Though I can hop into Rance 2's remake just fine xD

I didn't put the digest version in the thread?

Whelp.

Edit: If you want to patch things yourself (like me),

http://www.mediafire.com/download/25mps8650s8n5y9 (Rance 1 Digest)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/rlg8ksusbl5ex7r (Rance 2 Digest)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/r5hba56m273pc8p (English patch for both)

Now, lemme put that in the thread.

Well Alicesoft are soon to release a new game in April which is exactly the same as Rance:

"「お嫁さんがいっぱい欲しい! 」
ひたすらエロを求める若者の冒険譚

エロを求めて広い世界を縦横無尽に駆け巡るフィールドRPG誕生!"

So, there's that to look forward to.

Well Alicesoft are soon to release a new game in April which is exactly the same as Rance:

"「お嫁さんがいっぱい欲しい! 」

ひたすらエロを求める若者の冒険譚

Not likely to get translated for some ~5 years at minimum, though.  These days a current release in Japan has no bearing on our audiences if you haven't learned the language yet.  Though the number's been rising tremendously high over the past few months.

Not as far as I could find it, at least.

I edited it in.

Thanks for notifying me.

"「お嫁さんがいっぱい欲しい! 」

ひたすらエロを求める若者の冒険譚

I don't know what you meant by 'the same as Rance', unless you were referring to the large amount of H-scenes.

I edited it in.

Thanks for notifying me.

I don't know what you meant by 'the same as Rance', unless you were referring to the large amount of H-scenes.

Sounds good.  I'm downloading Rance 02's remake but it's taking a bit of time.

I think it means in the same world as Rance.  I think I saw something about this earlier but I don't know anything myself.

No, it's the same as in, exactly the same. An adventurer whose only goal and purpose is get girls and fuck them, nothing more. That blurb is a perfect description of the Rance series, but it's for a new game.

No, it's the same as in, exactly the same. An adventurer whose only goal and purpose is get girls and fuck them, nothing more. That blurb is a perfect description of the Rance series, but it's for a new game.

That's to be expected, since they're placed in the same world or something.

Hi Alicesoft General.

On the contrary, I actually don't agree with this statement.  Sure, Rance's only goal is to have sex with everyone he can find, but the rest of the elements are quite well-done despite it.  Despite Rance being Rance, the other elements are actually strong enough for it to be more than just flat-out sex.  Though I can't tell whether or not it would be considered a nukige as of yet.