Help Me Find Something to Watch~

Kaguya

There were some problems with my travel plans and so I'll be stuck here for a while longer.

...This makes me schedule awfully empty. I'll get bored soon. 

So I thought- why not watch some anime? 

Here are my restrictions-

I'm awfully picky with comedy. "Crude" forms of it don't interest me too much either. If it's not at the very least nichijou-level, I'll probably dislike it.

Mystery is my favorite genre, but I have high standards for it. I've tried watching several mystery anime before, and it doesn't work out. They're just not as good as the books. If you do have a mystery masterpiece, feel free to suggest it, but it really needs to be at that "masterpiece" level. 

Cute girls doing cute things is boring. I'd rather not watch an anime about it. 

Seeing teenagers being teenagers kinda sucks, even if you add superpowers. Teen drama, romance angst and the like aren't what I'm looking for. 

If it's action you want to suggest me, it needs to have a good plot and lots of combat brilliance. I don't like too much romance in my action too, so keep that in mind. 

Ecchi stuff is tolerable, but pointless. If it happens too much, it's downright annoying. I'll also ask you to keep that in mind before suggesting anything.

Ah, beautiful animation would be nice, though it's not required. 

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. Sci-fi cyberpunk that follows a specialized team of badass characters. Lots of politics, tons of sci-fi concepts. 10/10 series.

Kino no Tabi is a pretty interesting series about an androgynous girl that travels from country to country, witnessing every time the strange local customs.

Baccano is a really good anime with lots of energetic characters and an interesting plot.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. Sci-fi cyberpunk that follows a specialized team of badass characters. Lots of politics, tons of sci-fi concepts. 10/10 series.

Kino no Tabi is a pretty interesting series about an androgynous girl that travels from country to country, witnessing every time the strange local customs.

Baccano is a really good anime with lots of energetic characters and an interesting plot.

I'll watch the first one right now. You should all feel free to keep suggestions coming, I'll be here for two weeks or so before I can move on. 

I'd second Gintama being a great comedy anime, however be aware that the first two episodes are pretty bad and that the show only really starts to get good around ep 25.

I'm not sure how receptive you'll be to some of the shônen tropes in it too, despite it being pretty different from your average battle/adventure shônen.

If you want a good laugh, you should take a look at Detroit Metal City, if you haven't already.

I'd second Gintama being a great comedy anime, however be aware that the first two episodes are pretty bad and that the show only really starts to get good around ep 25.

I'm not sure how receptive you'll be to some of the shônen tropes in it too, despite it being pretty different from your average battle/adventure shônen.

If you want a good laugh, you should take a look at Detroit Metal City, if you haven't already.

Thank you I will try it and I'm always open for other opinions

Mystery is my favorite genre, but I have high standards for it. I've tried watching several mystery anime before, and it doesn't work out. They're just not as good as the books. If you do have a mystery masterpiece, feel free to suggest it, but it really needs to be at that "masterpiece" level. 

Monster by Naoki Urasawa is a masterpiece manga and anime. Both are great (as you know, it's rare that an anime adaptation can be as good as the original source material). If you haven't watched it already, then do yourself a favor. 

Here is a review of it from one of the few Anime reviewing sites I trust: THEM Anime Monster Review

The mystery in this anime is not "who", but "why". The answer is quite complicated and interesting. The show expects you to fit certain pieces of the puzzle yourself and it doesn't hold your hand. All in all it is one of the few anime I have ranked a 9.5 and rests 2nd place on my top 5.   

I wouldn't recommend Gintama or Detroit Metal City as I'm aware Kaguya already hates Gintama (didn't laugh at the Neo Armstrong Cyclone Jet Armstrong Cannon :( ) and DMC is solely about crude/dark humor where the word rape is repeated 10 times in one second ( :makina:)

My recommendation would be Serial Experiments Lain, enjoy the mindfuck.

Hope you enjoy Lain, it's actually quite thought provoking if you  pay attention, though really I just enjoyed being mind raped by it and having to read articles on all the symbolism because after the anime all I could think of was "what the f*ck".

For type-moon fan like me I recommend carnival phantasm

Exactly because they're a type-moon fan, Kaguya's already seen every type-moon anime :P

Including the non existing Tsukihime anime.

I'm a type-moon fan, I've watched the KnK movies already :P

Mindfucks are good. 

Yes, I didn't enjoy gintama when I tried it out. Not my type of humor. 

I'm not going to leave you alone until you mention whether you watched Monster or not. ;P

Serial Experiments Lain is good as well. 

I'm a type-moon fan, I've watched the KnK movies already :P

Mindfucks are good. 

Yes, I didn't enjoy gintama when I tried it out. Not my type of humor. 

I used to think the same thing about Gintama, til the series got in my head and I just had to keep watching XD

hmm lets see, Requiem for the phantom is a good one with a nice story and setting and action scenes, black lagoon is probally the best action anime out there with excelent story to boot.

Monster is also excelent, you dont find many mistery animes on that lvl.

I usually recomend  a bunch of anime but im really drawing a black here lol

I'm not going to leave you alone until you mention whether you watched Monster or not. ;P

Serial Experiments Lain is good as well. 

I haven't. I'll try it out, but I can't make any promises. If it's mystery, I'm used to (and will compare it to) classical works that really are masterpieces. I might just go "meh" midway and quit it if it doesn't seem good enough.

I haven't. I'll try it out, but I can't make any promises. If it's mystery, I'm used to (and will compare it to) classical works that really are masterpieces. I might just go "meh" midway and quit it if it doesn't seem good enough.

Challenge accepted. The first 4 episodes really establish the thesis of the anime (especially the end of episode 4). But I would give the anime at least 10 episodes before considering dropping it (it is 74 episodes long by the way, but no filler). 

Also note, while it is technically a mystery, it is not a conventional mystery story. It uses the genre to debate questions of morality and philosophy rather than thrill you with questions like "who did the murder?". However, the show does keep you on your toes as well. But that is more of a secondary focus.  

crest and banner of the stars, one of the very few good space series.

It has some great characters, a lot of good dialog.

And while the animation is nothing special the combat is decent.

What sets this series apart from the rest is the worldbuilding is does, wich is some of the best i have ever seen.

No ecchi moments in the series at all though, and the fasion sense is pretty terrible for the most part.

But it is practical in space.

I keep hoping for another season, but that is unlikely to ever come.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/290