What Light Novel are you reading right now?

Jibril

36 minutes ago, Arcadeotic said:

Dungeon Defence was something I enjoyed a lot (Overlord as well). I tend to like Dark/evilish characters, political build up, use of intelligence as well as powers, good characters and world building. Harems can be a bonus depending on how they are written. 

Do any of these LN's (or any other you have read not on this list) satisfy these criteria?

Quite a few. Let's see.

• Index New Testament: Just finished Volume 18, waiting for volume 19 translation to finish.
  • Last Embryo
  • Seirei Tsukai no Bladedance: Currently waiting for volume 17 to be released
  • Unlimited Fafnir: Currently waiting for the volume 13 translation to finish
  • CubexCursedxCurious: Just started on this one.
  • Date A Live
  • Ichiban Ushirou no Daimou:
  • Hidan no Aria
  • Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai

I tried reading the oneshot About the Reckless Girl Who Kept Challenging a Reborn Man Like Me because I was intrigued by its high rating on NU, and it didn't disappoint. The morale of the story is actually pretty simple, but at the same time it's something I still can't make myself accept to this day. 😊

Recommend for younger readers (below 25, I guess).

13 hours ago, Akshay said:

Dungeon Defence was something I enjoyed a lot (Overlord as well). I tend to like Dark/evilish characters, political build up, use of intelligence as well as powers, good characters and world building. Harems can be a bonus depending on how they are written. 

Do any of these LN's (or any other you have read not on this list) satisfy these criteria?

From this list, only Kaifuku Jutsushi and Summomed Slaughterer, but both of them are exceptionally dark, especially Slaughterer.

1 minute ago, Arcadeotic said:

It is really good if you can get past/like the protagonist and the messed-up tones of it. It's quite refreshing in how absolutely fucked everything is.

But while I enjoyed the characters, and how generally dark it was, Im looking for the dark, world building seen in overlord or dungeon defence. Any recommendations?

4 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

@Arcadeotic So, any comments?

Ascendance of a Bookworm is horrendously slow, slower than anything I've read before. Therein lies also its core strength. It's an isekai story with amazing world-building. If you can get past how rather whiny the protagonist is in the beginning, it's an enjoyable ride. There's also close to no romance until the last third or so.

6 hours ago, Akshay said:

But while I enjoyed the characters, and how generally dark it was, Im looking for the dark, world building seen in overlord or dungeon defence. Any recommendations?

Goblin Slayer is also extremely dark with great world-building, but it doesn't have a dark protagonist. Dark protagonists are a rarity, y'see. You can give it a whirl, however. I think it's localized via Yen Press.

On 12/10/2017 at 5:31 AM, Akshay said:

Someone translate Black Rod/Blood Jacket/Blightlights Holyland

ブラックロッド (電撃文庫)

ブラッドジャケット (電撃文庫 (0176))

ブライトライツ・ホーリーランド (電撃文庫)

Edited by Beichuuka

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Tensei Oujo wa Kyou mo Hata o Tatakioru turned out to be much, much better than I would've imagined from its description. The basic premise of the story is pretty cliche: the female protagonist gets reincarnated in the world of a shitty otome game as a princess of a certain kingdom, who also happens to be the main love rival of the main heroine of the game. The main gimmick of the game is how messed up the love interests are. They range from a prince who likes his sister way too much, to a wizard who prefers dead women because they don't betray him, to a yandere dark lord. And now, before the events of the game start and the main heroine arrives, the princess decides to use the knowledge she got from the game and prevent the guys from going wrong, in order to avoid a bad ending for herself, while she herself aims for a side character of the game.

First of all, I need to mention that in spite of this premise, the light novel is pretty serious in tone. The first several chapters, dedicated to 'correcting' the two first heroes, are pretty goofy in tone, but then (still early in the first volume) the story takes a serious turn, and the third 'hero' suddenly has a fairly dark backstory with decent amount of political intrigue. For me this LN turned out to be a really good example of how even the most ridiculous cliche could still make a good story if done right. The main problem I have with light novels in general is how boring the characters often are. Some popular LNs I tried literally excel at world-building, but as long as the characters feel like a set of random anime tropes, they don't work on me. The characters in this novel, on the other hand, are pretty well written, though the spotlight definitely goes to the protagonist. She is reasonably smart (finally!) and cute, but she is not Mary Sue. While she has the information from the game and brains to see what it means, she avoids relying on other people to use information, and she literally lacks political power to use it correctly.

So far it's a good 9/10... and probably another reason to learn Japanese. The translation seems to be fairly good, but it's definitely very slow. The latest arc starts to worry me a bit about some tropes the story ends up using, but so far it's nothing major. Also, it's funny how this reminds me a beginning of a certain popular VN.

• 1 month later...

I like to read, from books to manga and VN´s, since two or three years ago i found about ligth novels and such, so i want to ask YOU! If have some recomendations.

Now reading:

-Atelier tanaka

-Boku no Bungeibu ni Bitch ga Iru Nante Arienai

-Campione

-Dungeon ni Deai o Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru no Darou ka

-Goblin Slayer

-Hataraku Maou-sama

-Isekai Maou to Shoukan Shoujo Dorei Majutsu

-Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo

And more.

Do I against the rule If I answer similar question with another subforum ?

well,  this what I currently reading  : 

- Date A Live (Yeah, That's bastard Shido :nico:)

- Goblin Slayer ( Same here, I read their manga too. )

- Amagi briliant Park ( Plan for stop reading it, but Dunno why I'm curious with their story...)

- Oda Nobuna no Yabou ( :OurLordAndSavior: )

- Konosuba ( My Main reason ::meguface: <<<<Cuz her)

- Outbreak Company (Their anime Too short :reeee:)

And more.. 

On 12/9/2017 at 8:26 AM, Strike105X said:
Right  now, whenever i have time, i'm reading Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance Light novels:

And i really love it! Currently at volume 10, reading it gives me a nice warm and fuzzy feeling :3.

Reading this as well. It's funny and I like how it's developing, but it's still not dethroned Zero no Tsukaima as my favorite LN series. 

Spoiler

(Hoping he'll end up with Claire at the end. Tsundere = automatic best girl)

Edited by snowbell55

I've been reading SAO for a little while and getting pretty close to the end of volume 8. I like how Kawahara managed to slip in a familiar story involving Thor towards the end and still surprise me with it, lol. Seriously, I had previously read the tale about Thor's infamous disguise to retrieve his stolen hammer, but I wasn't able to put two and two together until the reveal since I'd forgotten the names of the people involved. It was interesting!

Shouldn't be long before I start the Alicization arc, which I've heard nothing but great things about. Considering how inconsistent the story quality has been lately, I'm pretty anxious to start this. :mare:

• 2 months later...

Seems like it's not very active topic, but anyway. What i'm reading is:

1). SAO. Finished 18 volumes (in December actually). Had been waiting for 19th volume translation (to my lang, not English), but it turned out that some other team/guy translated it. Now i have to finish it and wait for the next one. And man, i won't spoil anything, but how things ended in volume 18th is just... Amazing, i'd say, i really do want to know what'll happen next, story changed completely unpredictably. If you sit and think through some things that happened in volume 18... Man, no words.

Still thinking about starting to read Progressive and Gun Gale Online arcs. All i need is time,  i'd like to read them.

2). KonoSuba. Finished volume 13 not so long ago. And i have to say, i absolutely don't like what had been happening with LN since volume 6, when things began to change between web version and LN version. All humor stopped being funny and became only irritating. All characters are super annoying, someone more, someone less, but still it's just sometimes unbearable to read. I really want LN to finish as soon as possible. First 5 volumes were good, but then... It's a trash now.

3). Mahouka Koukou no Retoussei. Right now i'm reading volume 21. It's just so happened that after volume 18 translator's team kinda stuck, especially editing. And that'd been for a really long time, but then i once again (like with SAO) discovered that another team translated volumes 19-25, so i had to caught up with the series and quickly finished 19 and 20, now's time for 21. more than half is done.

And what i really want to say about the series - i absolutely love the story and characters, it's very interesting to follow the story, participate (as a reader) into events etc. But on the other hand - i ABSOLUTELY HATE Miyuki!!! It became the main concern since volume 16 ( i believe) where

Spoiler

she was appointed as the next head of Yotsuba.

It's totally unbearable to read. Her behavior, especially with Tatsuya, is pissing me off. She's absolutely disgusting!!! When they're together i start to hate Tatsuya as well. I understand their circumstances and relationships, but it's totally overboard behavior!! It's ridiculous!!! I wish she'd just disappear. And author's constant descriptions of how "she's beautiful as a Goddess", "all people froze when she's entered the room", "her goddess beauty", "all forgot how to breath when saw her" are just the worst. It's insane, it's so disgusting i'm feeling sick and can't find words to describe how i hate her. Just ridiculous. So i try to read moments with her as soon as possible. Other than that - all's great, both story and characters.

4). To Aru Majutsu no Index. Well, that's just infinite)) I finished 2 volumes and want to read the rest, but need time and have other things to read. Maybe when i finish all translated volumes of Mahouka, i'll continue with that. I love the story and universe author created and want to return to it, especially to Misaka, she's just the best.

5). Last Embryo. It's a continuation of "Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai kara Kuru Sou desu yo?" So far i finished volume 1, and really liked it. I liked it more that i thought so still waiting for 2nd volume editing, which takes a long time for some reason. Must be team's RL problems, hope they'll finish it soon.

6). Also reading "Re: Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu" chapter by chapter. I'm reading Arc 4 of web-version, right after anime ended, and now finished ~33 chapters or so. Considering every arc consists of 100+ chapters, i still have a long way to go. But at least translation is continuing smoothly, so maybe we'll be able to read till the end and finally

Spoiler

wake up Rem.

Also i really want to read "Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e", after watching anime. But considering the fact that we have only volume 1, 4 and 5, it seems kinda pointless to read it now. Volume 2 is stuck, english translator doesn't translate 2 and 3 at all, only starting from 4th as far as i know... It's presumably because of the show, kinda "go watch the anime to know about things"... But we all know that you can't make a good adaptation of 3 volumes into 12 episodes!! It's all sad, cuz i really like the show. Hope someday they will translate 2 and 3.