What Light Novel are you reading right now?

Jibril

1 hour ago, Beichuuka said:

Maou no Hajimekata, maybe?
From what I've seen of the manga it's nowhere near the level of Overlord (and too much H) though.

Ah. I should clarify. I like harems, and don't mind if they are enslaved, but i dislike mindbreak/brainwash. It is really a hard-limit for me. This is because it takes out all the difficulty in the relationship. To begin with it's kind of a lazy way of writing in character relationships since if you can brainwash people then they're just sex bots.. I am fine if he enslaves them, there is rape, and the girl falls in love with him much later, or never does.

But mindcontrol/brainwash just irritates me. 

I tried it, but tis not what I'm looking for. While I appreciate the harem, the main thing that attracted me to overlord was the conquering outlook, the politics, and the presentation. I enjoyed the fact that Ainz cared for his people. The way he changed and began looked down on humans. The way his actions affected him and he changed. And the slightly human outlook he kept.

Thank you for your answer though.

29 minutes ago, Akshay said:

While I appreciate the harem, the main thing that attracted me to overlord was the conquering outlook, the politics, and the presentation. I enjoyed the fact that Ainz cared for his people. The way he changed and began looked down on humans. The way his actions affected him and he changed. And the slightly human outlook he kept.

One I can think of with those items would be Hakai no Miko (which I can tell you is very good), though you may be hard pressed to find a translation.
The only thing that's missing is the evil protag and a real harem.

Edited by Beichuuka

• 2 weeks later...

One question regarding light novels:

I am actually reading Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e, but sometime I see some chapter called for example "Horikita Volume 2 SS", what does "SS" mean exactly? (The MC in this chapter was Horikita). 

1 hour ago, Kirashi said:

One question regarding light novels:

I am actually reading Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e, but sometime I see some chapter called for example "Horikita Volume 2 SS", what does "SS" mean exactly? (The MC in this chapter was Horikita). 

Short Story?

1 hour ago, Kirashi said:

Wow, it might indeed be that. I'll check if those come from the LN.

Thanks

These are Store Bonuses. In Japan, depending on the store you buy the novel you can get a short 4 pages leaflet with a little short story. In general only popular LNs have them, but recently new promising LNs have them too.

8 hours ago, Riku said:

These are Store Bonuses. In Japan, depending on the store you buy the novel you can get a short 4 pages leaflet with a little short story. In general only popular LNs have them, but recently new promising LNs have them too.

Why does it depend of the store and not the LN? Shouldn't all the LNs of the same series have the content?

37 minutes ago, Kirashi said:

Why does it depend of the store and not the LN? Shouldn't all the LNs of the same series have the content?

Well, it exists many stores selling otaku stuff. The store managers asked themselves "how can we make people choose to buy in OUR store?". Answer: having something only possible to have in this store, aka. Store Bonus.

So for example, Youkoso will have a different store bonus for MelonBooks, Animate, Toranoana or Gamers. Rarely a LN has 4 store bonuses, most of the time the maximum is 3, and it's amongst these stores.

That way, true fans are kinda obligated to buy in all the stores who has a store bonus if they want to have everything, thus each store makes a profit.

That's the gist of it.

Edited by Riku

10 minutes ago, Riku said:

Well, it exists many stores selling otaku stuff. The store managers asked themselves "how can we make people choose to buy in OUR store?". Answer: having something only possible to have in this store, aka. Store Bonus.

So for example, Youkoso will have a different store bonus for MelonBooks, Animate, Toranoana or Gamers. Rarely a LN has 4 store bonuses, most of the time the maximum is 3, and it's amongst these stores.

That way, true fan are kinda obligated to buy in all the stores who has a store bonus if he wants to have everything, thus each store makes a profit.

That's the gist of it.

Are those written by the author at least? So to be short: Some store managers will buy the right of the LN for a higher price just to have 20 pages more with some short story about the character? I don't undertsand why all the store managers don't sell the same product, it's obvious they will loose a part of the market (having less content ring like censorship for me... It's stupid too sell the book partially)

Just now, Kirashi said:

Are those written by the author at least? So to be short: Some store managers will buy the right of the LN for a higher price just to have 20 pages more with some short story about the character? I don't undertsand why all the store managers don't sell the same product, it's obvious they will loose a part of the market (having less content ring like censorship for me... It's stupid too sell the book partially)

No, you didn't understand. It's a 4 pages leaflet given WITH the book. It's just a BONUS. And it's first come first served, so only the first buyers can get them. The price is the same as the normal one, it's just something to make people buy.

And of course, they're written by the author.

47 minutes ago, Riku said:

No, you didn't understand. It's a 4 pages leaflet given WITH the book. It's just a BONUS. And it's first come first served, so only the first buyers can get them. The price is the same as the normal one, it's just something to make people buy.

And of course, they're written by the author.

I see, thank you for the explanation

Ascendance of a bookworm, fan-translation. Well, it hard to judge at this point because less than 10% of the whole novel are translated at this point, but so far it seems pretty good.

General premise: a bookworm girl dies in an earthquake and gets reincarnated as a five year old daughter of a poor soldier, in a world with low literacy rate where books are very expensive. Surprisingly, unlike most light-novels, this one takes a semi-serious approach to its setting, and is mostly focused on the MC trying to reproduce (and later commercialize) different things from Earth in that world. The pacing is really slow, and there isn't any action so far, but I personally like slow-paced stories that involve characters doing usual things in unusual ways. Still, I feel like the first 20-ish chapters dragged a bit (and I probably prefer the manga adaptation for these chapters) but then, after a certain merchant gets introduced, it gets better.

There is however one plot hole I really cannot overlook: kid characters in this novel are WAY too mature for their age. Seriously, it isn't even funny. At some point a six year old boy gets gets in serious argument with his parents because he decided to take a different career path from the one they wanted him to take. Come on, in any sane setting he would never get the choice to begin with, nor would he be able to make at least a somewhat conscious decision at his age. I mean, it could be a plot-point, it was probably even hinted at, but he isn't even the only character like that. Still, I honestly don't care. Light-novels aren't particularly realistic to begin with, and as long as overall story is good, I'm willing to overlook it.

I hope this novel gets localized officially, but it's probably not the type of story that is going to become popular, so it probably never will. And I am not going to wait 10 years before it finally gets fully translated, so it looks like it may be another reason why I should finally do what the watch is telling me. :makina:

Edited by Dreamysyu
typo

10 minutes ago, Akshay said:

Yes, I just edited it. Got anything?

Not really, but I'm also interested.

Well, the web-novel Common Sense of a Duke's Daughter kind of fits some of these, but it has a female protagonist and is only fan-translated (and the improved LN version isn't translated at all).

Edited by Dreamysyu

12 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

Not really, but I'm also interested.

Well, the web-novel Common Sense of a Duke's Daughter kind of fits some of these, but it has a female protagonist and is only fan-translated (and the improved LN version isn't translated at all).

An easier recommendation,

do you know any (translated) dark-fantasy-ish LN's . 

(I would appreciate kinky-sex/harem, but this is non-essential) 

23 hours ago, Akshay said:

An easier recommendation,

do you know any (translated) dark-fantasy-ish LN's . 

(I would appreciate kinky-sex/harem, but this is non-essential) 

That's exactly the genre of 2 my favourite LNs :

Overlord

The Lazy King

(Neither of the 2 protags are too interested in girls but the girls who like them are definitely kinky; no sex though)