What Light Novel are you reading right now?

Jibril

Although that means the fan TL is going to shutdown, at least we're going to get physical copies :)

Though at the rate that YenPress releases stuff, we're in for a long wait for it to catch up with the fan TL. Personally, I'm actually really happy that Overlord is getting a localization since I'm a huge fan of the series and I trust YenPress to do a fantastic job on the translation.

If Yen Press actually able to release LN at decent rate i have no complain.

Highly doubt that tho.

Highly doubt that

I died.  

I picked up Yuusha Party on a whim while searching for something during my stay at my brother's house.  Was not disappointed for a light adventure romance. Translation is slow as balls, but I don't mind at all.  At the rate I'll probably be in the mood for it is about the same as it's pace. 

Started reading Fate/Zero and obtained Fate/Apocrypha volumes 1 and 2 to read afterwards, and know where to read volume 3 after that.  The translation of Fate/Zero feels a little off in the sense that the sentences tend to sound a little strange in English, but other than that, it's good.  I'm kind of glad I watched the anime first, because now I can picture the characters in my mind pretty well.  This is going to be my first light novel :kosame:

• 3 weeks later...

I've finished reading Date A Live volume 1 to 12, and I'm waiting for the english translation of the 13th volume.
Aside from that series, I've only red the 1st volume of Absolute Duo and Oda Nobuna no Yabou volume 1 to 5.

Does anyone around here knows a link to an English translated Gosick light novels? I really want to read that one.

I picked up Magika No Kenshi To Shoukan Maou. End of volume 2 "Qualification of a King".  I really really really can't help but harken back to Fate/Zero banquet of kings.

*sigh* I can tell this story is at least progressing. Nothing is more satisfying than seeing the MC own up to the fact that to keep the status quo he needs to obliterate some fools. It somewhat reminds me of a drawn out Index.

I generally don't read much of LNs. Have read a couple of volumes from some series in the past but I never really read a whole series properly.

I liked the Overlord anime quite a bit and decided to read the LNs, so here I am. Have read all the 8 volumes released in english(waiting for vol 9 translation) and thus Overlord has become my first LN series. 

It was a fun ride, really enjoyed it and the hype for vol 9 is off the charts.

That being said, after blazing through 8 volumes I can't help the urge to read more. So as I was wondering about what else to read, I thought that I'd read No Game No Life. I had watched the anime, but as it was quite a while back so I'll be starting from volume 1. 
I'd like to your views on NGNL before starting.

I generally don't read much of LNs. Have read a couple of volumes from some series in the past but I never really read a whole series properly.

I liked the Overlord anime quite a bit and decided to read the LNs, so here I am. Have read all the 8 volumes released in english(waiting for vol 9 translation) and thus Overlord has become my first LN series. 

That being said, after blazing through 8 volumes I can't help the urge to read more. So as I was wondering about what else to read, I thought that I'd read No Game No Life. I had watched the anime, but as it was quite a while back so I'll be starting from volume 1. 

If you are reading the translated version of Overlord, I hate to break it to you, but YP licensed it, so no more volumes are going to be translated.

I haven't read all of NGNL, but I hold the opinion that Mondaiji-tachi is superior in every respect.  Just personal bias.

As for quality, most of the stuff published before or around 2005 is pretty good. It was after that point where LN quality really goes full tilt into the ecchi territory with less thought.  There are some exceptions, but that's the general trend.

If you are reading the translated version of Overlord, I hate to break it to you, but YP licensed it, so no more volumes are going to be translated.

I haven't read all of NGNL, but I hold the opinion that Mondaiji-tachi is superior in every respect.  Just personal bias.

As for quality, most of the stuff published before or around 2005 is pretty good. It was after that point where LN quality really goes full tilt into the ecchi territory with less thought.  There are some exceptions, but that's the general trend.

I already read about the Overlord licensing on the translators site. They will stop after vol 9 which is the last one that's been written. Vol 9 is likely to be the best the best vol till now, so I'll have satisfy myself with that.

Well Overlord stopping is one of the factors which prompted me to read some other series. The reason I chose NGNL was because I had already seen the anime and was really interested to see where it would lead. Since this is only my second LN I was thinking of restricting myself to stuff I already have an interest in. I haven't seen Mondaiji, I have heard about it though. Will probably read it in the future if my interest in LNs keeps up.
I mostly wanted to know if NGNL goes downhill after the point where the  anime ended. As long as the LN is as good as the anime it should keep me interested. 
And plus I'm a big sucker for 'King' stuff, so a King going around conquering is sure to interest me.

Regariding NGNL, not really. I personally didn't see a drop in quality (note: I haven't read the newest volume), but then again my opinions on most series tend to be rather flat. The one big problem I have with this series is that the "solutions" the main characters come up with... doesn't really allow for too much suspension of disbelief. One thing worth note may be that vol 6...7? I don't remember which, but one of them was the best volume up to that point AND IT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE MAIN STORYLINE. Fun stuff.

I haven't read/watched Mondaiji-tachi, but it's probably worth noting that I've only ever heard mention Mondaiji-tachi being of similar concept, but superior to NGNL, but not the other way around. The first impression of the series is about the only thing making me think twice of picking it up.

Unrelatedly, I have finished Jinrui 4.

Edited by storyteller

As I've said somewhere on the site before, the differences in NGNL and Mondaiji are that NGNL seems to attempt to fake importance and maturity with really shallow dark themes, while Mondaiji plays out with lighter, brighter themes.  From what I had read of NGNL, the characters never really progressed, and it seemed to have fell into shonen character development.

Really though, if I had to complain my biggest gripe about NGNL is that it is entirely based around deus ex machina.  All of the battles are resolved in one way or another by some kind of asspull a la "we are the best". Mondaiji on the other hand reveals the battles in a format similar to a mystery novel, where with sufficient knowledge behind all the mythologies related to the current task and hints given by the author, by the end of the battle everything seemed to be within certain parameters that didn't leave you completely clueless of how the situation resolved.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Gate side story 2.
About done with Jinrui 5.

Next up, either Jinrui 6, wherever I left off with Irregular at Magic High School, Hakomari 2, or something else entirely.
My backlog on LNs only ever seem to grow, as I buy them at a faster rate than I read them >_>

Edited by storyteller

Finished Gate side story 2.
About done with Jinrui 5.

Next up, either Jinrui 6, wherever I left off with Irregular at Magic High School, Hakomari 2, or something else entirely.
My backlog on LNs only ever seem to grow, as I buy them at a faster rate than I read them >_>

I've reached the point where they aren't getting TL'd fast enough.  I filter out 90% of them too, as they don't fit my tastes. The agony of a leecher.  Oh well, by next year this time I should be able to slowly read them for the most part, and have money to actually import, because international shipping >.>

Honestly, I would love to support, but christ, the total cost is way too damn much, so I'd still be supplementing from piracy.

Baka-Tsuki finally promoted The Reunion With Twelve Fascinating Goddesses into a full project due to the first volume getting translated, and man do I love my crappy shounen harems.  So good to read, as I laugh when other people cringe.

Overlord is now over...... sorry for that horribly bad pun

It was great ride. Loved it completely. Volume 9 was the best volume, and I do feel sad that it will take quite a bit of time till I can read more of it. Seriously I'm gonna miss Overlord a loooot.

In other news, I finished till volume 5 of NGNL. It's good but reading it beside Overlord makes it seem lack-luster.

Overlord is now over...... sorry for that horribly bad pun

It was great ride. Loved it completely. Volume 9 was the best volume, and I do feel sad that it will take quite a bit of time till I can read more of it. Seriously I'm gonna miss Overlord a loooot.

In other news, I finished till volume 5 of NGNL. It's good but reading it beside Overlord makes it seem lack-luster.

Protip: Your first LN will always seem the best.  It will take awhile for you to feel that euphoria again.

I'm still waiting for them to finish Zero no Tsukaima, I'm 20 volumes invested at this point, they need to finish the damn thing already, my hype is reals.

Zero no Tsukaima, the series whose author is dead, right?
I see they recently decided to continue the series with another author...

I'm surprised anyone can get invested in that series.
I hear a lot of good stuff about it, but vol 1 was terrible enough that I had trouble finishing it.

Louise is just extremely polarizing. You either like her or you absolutely hate her. If you can get past that obstacle, the story itself is an epic romance that goes through quite a many of the paces of a monomyth, with several miniature cycles included.  It's just really frustrating to not have the last two volumes worth of story released. To make an apt comparison, the story got cut off in the middle of Odysseus's return, and we don't get to see him slay the suitors.  

I have no problem with Louise. If anything, it's Kaito I dislike.
And it's not even that, since I tend to end up liking characters that frustrate me; the writing was just so terrible in the first volume, I have a hard time wanting to reach for the second.

I can enjoy bad writing. All that matters to me is that they tell a good story. If you do it with passable language I'll still enjoy it. I don't need honeyed words to get me hard. Keep plot inconsistency to a minimum and somehow justify what happens, and I'll likely accept a deus ex machina. 

Speaking of good stories, The Lazy King has started TL again. First arc was wierd at the start, but once you get used to the narrative style, it becomes really fun. 

The hype is real for this arc. 

Read volume 6 of NGNL, it was much better than the previous volumes.
Liked it way more than what I had expected. The contrast really did it's job.

And since I couldn't find volume 7 translated, I'm guessing that volume 6 is all that's there for NGNL atm.

It got licensed by Yen Press, but YP did garbage translating it, so people got pissed.  It's basically going to turn into a situation of publisher neglect and fans won't buy it and translators can't translate it because of copyright. We end up with another dead series. 

Same exact thing happened with Hidan no Aria, except Baka-Tsuki has a translation reinstating clause so it got reverted. Now there is a small hope that it gets picked back up. 

Basically NGNL died the moment YP licensed it and the next fan translated volume possible under BT is probably going to be 8, leaving a volume gap.

TL;DR: RIP NGNL. 

Go to any blogger's website directly and you can comment dive to read more about what happened. 

Read volume 6 of NGNL, it was much better than the previous volumes.
Liked it way more than what I had expected. The contrast really did it's job.

And since I couldn't find volume 7 translated, I'm guessing that volume 6 is all that's there for NGNL atm.

It got licensed by Yen Press, but YP did garbage translating it, so people got pissed.  It's basically going to turn into a situation of publisher neglect and fans won't buy it and translators can't translate it because of copyright. We end up with another dead series. 

Same exact thing happened with Hidan no Aria, except Baka-Tsuki has a translation reinstating clause so it got reverted. Now there is a small hope that it gets picked back up. 

Basically NGNL died the moment YP licensed it and the next fan translated volume possible under BT is probably going to be 8, leaving a volume gap.

TL;DR: RIP NGNL. 

Go to any blogger's website directly and you can comment dive to read more about what happened. 

Yep Press' impression is steadily going downhill for me.

Huh, why's that? AFAIK, other than NGNL, YenPress has been providing very solid translations so far (on the LN side of things, don't really read manga). Putting aside the release pace, I'd say YenPress is doing a great job so I'm curious as to why you would have a bad impression of them. 

Huh, why's that? AFAIK, other than NGNL, YenPress has been providing very solid translations so far (on the LN side of things, don't really read manga). Putting aside the release pace, I'd say YenPress is doing a great job so I'm curious as to why you would have a bad impression of them. 

Well I'm fairly new to lns, having read only 2 series properly namely- Overlord and NGNL.
Overlord was recently licensed by YenPress, and I've heard is that they take a long time to publish so we won't getting anymore Overlord as it's already at vol 9. Needing to wait for 3-4 years till I can read a series I really liked, did give me a bad impression on it.