What Light Novel are you reading right now?

Jibril

Well, that mainly depends on what genre you're looking for. If you're new to LNs, maybe you can start with one that has an anime adaptation...? Though I personally feel that you can start with any novel you like. You can check out my thread (link in my sig) if you want my recommendations.

Did not see that I'll take a look  :holo:

• 1 month later...

Picking up the Toaru series. I'm gonna start from the very beginning!

I'm assuming you have the entire series translated already?  Please, let us have a discussion once you get past book 17, where the really fun stuff starts.

I'm currently reading Gakusen Toshi Asterisk and Antimagic Academy "35th Test Platoon".   I really have a guilty pleasure about school battle series.  Asterisk falls into the romcom variety while Antimagic is lacking it for once.  Both fall into the slight harem genre, as they aren't full blown "I want you! I'm going to have your children!" girls, but rather the MC is just surrounded with them and I can't seem to see it ever devolving into the harem, unlike other series, no matter how stupid the MC is.

Recently finished Is It Wrong To Try To Pick Up Girls In A Dungeon. It was definitely more enjoyable than I expected, but I'm a novice with light novels (I guess I've read Haruhi, 1/3 of Spice & Wolf, and now that). I'm not reading any light novel right now, though I have a stack of Spice & Wolf (volumes 8 - 13) waiting for me - I'm trying to space those out a lot, since otherwise I'd tear through all of them in a week, even at my slow reading pace.

I'm definitely in the market for light novel recommendations, ideally for ones available on the Kindle store (or fan translations that I can put on my kindle, I suppose). This is an area where I really don't know what's good, aside from picking up stuff that already has an anime adaptation that I know is good. Are there any "classics" I'm missing out on?

Recently finished Is It Wrong To Try To Pick Up Girls In A Dungeon. It was definitely more enjoyable than I expected, but I'm a novice with light novels (I guess I've read Haruhi, 1/3 of Spice & Wolf, and now that). I'm not reading any light novel right now, though I have a stack of Spice & Wolf (volumes 8 - 13) waiting for me - I'm trying to space those out a lot, since otherwise I'd tear through all of them in a week, even at my slow reading pace.

I'm definitely in the market for light novel recommendations, ideally for ones available on the Kindle store (or fan translations that I can put on my kindle, I suppose). This is an area where I really don't know what's good, aside from picking up stuff that already has an anime adaptation that I know is good. Are there any "classics" I'm missing out on?

For recommendations, just go to Baka-Tsuki.  Everything in that link is at least one volume completed.  On the sidebar you can find finished series too.  Personally, out of the finished series I enjoyed Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou, it plays around with the idea of religion a whole bunch in a very literal (deconstructed, meta?) manner.  If you like romcom, then Baka to Test is also completed, and it is probably one of my favorite romcoms simply because the setting revolves around class wars with actual military tactics involved  :wafuu:

Out of the unfinished series, its literally try and see what you like.  Most of the popular ones are already anime, so you will probably recognize quite a few titles.  If you want consistency, look for anything being translated by Js06 and Zzhk as they are fairly frequent (I swear Js06 has nothing better to do, he releases an equivalent of 2 volumes a month).

For everything else, Krytyk's links on his blog cover pretty much anything not on Baka-Tsuki.

Oh right.

HakoMaria

I could probably go into far more detail and describe the differences and subtleties of every series I've read and the current state of the scene to an extent, but this is pretty much the short summary of where to find everything.  If you want more, I'd be happy to oblige, but that's for a different post.

I prefer Shinki Duelist to Dungeon Deai.  It just has a better story.

Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria (hakomari)

Gekkou

Sword Art Online

Toradora

Fate/zero

Would love to start on

Bokura wa Mahou Shoujo no Naka

Kamisu Reina wa Koko ni Iru

^^ (Hakomari's author latest and before work)

Accel World

NGNL

Sakaurasou no Kanji no pet (although i seem to not be able to get a completed translation of this)

The list can be endless :)

Accel World 2. I've read the first book in a lot of series but Accel World was the only one that really made me want to immediately pick up the 2nd book and keep reading. Not sure if I'll plow through to book 3 without pausing to read anything else though, as some of the momentum from book 1 gets lost and the way Arita acts around the loli girl is really creepy, but it's still a pretty solid series. Bizarrely, I like Accel World a lot better than Sword Art Online, but my taste in LNs is weird to begin with.

In the midst of reading Toaru Majutsu no Index volume 21, since the anime adaptation left me wanting more (And oh God is it GLORIOUS). Also in the process of purchasing the officially licensed translations by Yen Press as they are released. 

Isn't Accelerator AMAZING? Also, this book cemented my feeling that Lessar is best girl  :heart:

Mikoto only manages to make headway in NT3 (I think that's the volume) with the Hawaii Arc.

currently reading "Seikoku no Dragonar" & enjoying it pretty much. yes you´ve heard that right, i´m enjoying it, cause compared to the teaser anime its a really fluffy & funny ride

Same goes of course for "Hagure Yūsha no Esutetika", which is simply a blast!

Started reading Overlord because I can't wait for the adaptation.

So far so epic, looks like someone takes Log Horizon except its only 1 person, and he's a supervillain with loyal NPCs turned real. I mean just look at this official picture...

bWpZcvf.jpg

That is beyond epic.

Oh and Shalltear Bloodfallen is probably the best name I've seen so far in my life.

Currently reading: Highschool DxD - I´m still not so far but until now it seems funnier than the anime, so it looks promising.

Toaru Majutsu no Index: New Testament - To be honest it hasn´t been as great as the last volumes of the first series yet. I´ve read the 3 first vol. so I guess it can still improve (and Index successfully crushed my hopes that she is finally going to become an important character :amane: )

@seth i felt absolutely the same way. additionally i hoped the magic god gets one of the main loveinterests, after all that stuff what happened & the 2 against the whole world.....but fucking noooooooo

instead she gets transformed into a miniature loli...wtf?

main love interests

Ahahahahahaha.  Ahahahahahahahahahahaha. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *cough* *cough* *hack* *cough*

Anyone who takes Index as a romance story with love interests is hilariously out of touch with how the story is written.  There is no such thing as love interests in Index, there is only Touma who indiscriminately saves them hoes (get over it, they're all equal), and the said hoes who one sidedly love Touma.   This story will NEVER progress into a romance, EVER.  Asking for a love interest is hilarious, Touma was surrounded by ~20 girls when he finally came back at the end of book 1 in new testament and jack shit happened. He 

was confessed to by Index twice so far in the series, and nothing has happened. All that stuff in Railgun and Hawaii arc happened with Mikoto, and nothing happened.

Expecting any sort of romance out of this story, isn't going to happen. Have I made myself clear yet? It isn't going to happen. Merely suggesting it is absurd.

However, the magic god is here to stay it appears in book 12, and I, for one, absolutely love it.  We get to have another character constantly foil themselves with Index, who is technically a magic god candidate. I fully support the fairyizing of her, it made the interaction with the Calico cat owned by Index at the beginning of book 12 perfectly worth it, and once again displayed it isn't going to happen.

Also, he doesn't even know about the magic god yet, that starts happening ~book 5.  book 3 is still GREMLIN derping around and we don't know their true purpose.

please dont rip my delusions apart & yeah i know it happens much later, but, but.....a 15cm loli?!??????

the writers should have simply killed her, like she intended to do, seriously who deserves that fate?

Accel World 2 was getting too boring, mainly because I already know everything that happens thanks to the anime. Considering just skipping over the books covered in the anime since there doesn't seem to be much they didn't cover (in fact they actually skipped around and put stuff like The Elements in way earlier than they appear in the books). So anyway I dropped that and am now instead reading... I'm gonna call it 'Bookworm Revolution' (honzuki no kakoujou or something like that). It's... amazing. It's refreshing reading a fantasy book in which the main character gets teleported to a fantasy world and neither 1. becomes the savior of said world despite being an otaku loser IRL 2. creates a harem of random girls who all love him at first sight. Instead the main character is a female college graduate who gets turned into a 5 or 6 year old in a fantasy world and the only thing she cares about is books. Since books in the fantasy world are reserved for nobles and her family is super poor she basically decides that she's just going to need to make her own books and so she starts the painstakingly slow process of modernizing her life.

It's adorable, it's thought-provoking, and it's intelligent. No fanservice. No mary-sueism (the main character/perspective narrator is incredibly human and has flaws up the wazoo, and none of them are 'flaws that are not flaws'). The narrator/main girl is super fun to read and a huge change from all the frustrating guy leads from most LN series.

Anyway the whole 'little girl in a fantasy world that is obsessed with knowledge' reminds me a lot of Kemono no Souja which is a very, very good thing since anything that reminds me of Uehashi Naoko is in a good place.

It's a little tough for Japanese learners since it's meant to be for Japanese bookworms (thus containing lots of hard kanji and very little furigana) but if you can read Japanese well enough and want something that is still an escapist fantasy while not being a wish-fulfilment harem story I highly recommend it.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/4864723427/ref=s9_psimh_gw_p14_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=AN1VRQENFRJN5&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=0A4VK8H35P7YK81HP3WH&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=155416509&pf_rd_i=489986