Welcome to Fuwanovel Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mr Poltroon

Changes to the DevBoards - What goes where?

I apologize for having this thread in a weird place, but I guess this board is where you curious lot will look, isn't it?

Where things go:

Basically, with the appearance of a new section, the "Creative Corner", some threads will be moved about. Mainly those which have to do with "creativity" and "creation". 

Creative Corner - A place where members can share their creativity!

So, this is the big one. Meant for artists, writers, developers and more.

• Topics discussing Art, VN Development and Writing.
  • All manners of guides on these as well.
  • Help requests relating to the above. 

Fan Translation Discussion - A place to discuss all things related to the translation of VN's.

This includes, of course, various other processes involved in the translation process, like hacking and editing.

• Topics discussing Translation, Editing and Hacking in general.

Translation Projects - A place to easily access Translation projects on Fuwanovel and check their status.

Here we store all projects so they can be easily found.

• Ongoing Translation Projects.
  • Threads trying to create a Translation Team.

Original VN Projects - A place to easily access VN projects on Fuwanovel and check their status.

• Ongoing VN Projects.
  • Threads trying to create an Original VN Team.

Project Archive - The place where the completed, stalled or dead projects go.

• Complete Projects - Started up and finished, releasing the final product.
  • Stalled Projects - Started up but circumstances have prevented any tangible progress for months now.
  • Dead Projects - Started up but never actually went anywhere.
  • Suspended Projects - Started up but circumstances halted the project (may resume with no problems in the future).
  • Shelved Projects - Never did manage to start up.
Zalor, Chronopolis, Diamon and 4 others like this

What's the difference between "Stalled" and "Suspended"? 

Stalled:

The team who started it is up for it, but busy lives prevent tangible progress.

Suspended:

Used for the same reason but in special cases. Imagine a TL that gets licensed.

True enough, there's not that much of a reason to separate the two.

Suspended and Stalled are literally synonyms that mean "to hold off/delay".

So yeah, no real reason to separate the two, I say either use one or the other.

The description can just be "The project has stopped activity due to circumstances, it may resume in the future"

As a writer, I am really liking this implementation of a Creative Corner idea. ^-^

I apologize for having this thread in a weird place, but I guess this board is where you curious lot will look, isn't it?

Where things go:

Basically, with the appearance of a new section, the "Creative Corner", some threads will be moved about. Mainly those which have to do with "creativity" and "creation". 

• Topics discussing Art, Development and Writing.

Fan Translation Discussion - A place to discuss all things related to the translation of VN's.

This includes, of course, various other processes involved in the translation process, like hacking and editing.

• Topics discussing Translation, Editing and Hacking in general.

Ongoing Projects - A place to easily access projects on Fuwanovel and check their status.

Here we store all projects so they can be easily found.

• Projects about a Translation Project or team that's currently Ongoing.
  • Threads trying to create an OELVN Team
  • Threads trying to create a Translation Team 

Project Archive - The place where the completed, stalled or dead projects go.

• Complete Projects - Started up and finished, releasing the final product.
  • Stalled Projects - Started up but circumstances have prevented any progress for months now.
  • Dead Projects - Started up but never actually went anywhere.
  • Suspended Projects - Started up but circumstances halted the project (may resume with no problems in the future).
  • Shelved Projects - Never did manage to start up.

May I ask permission for my signature thread to be moved to the creative corner section please.

Yeah! I'm glad that the idea of creating a creative corner on Fuwanovel went through! :D

Definitely a must! Hopefully we will see more and more thread being created in this section! :)

EDIT :

This is merely my own suggestion, but I believe it wouldn't hurt to try to describe concretely what kind of threads are relevant on this section. Unless it's somehow still not exactly clear what kind of topics should belong here ("creative" is a term rather large).

For example, I don't know if there will be any of those examples, but could also belong here :

- Fanfiction of VN (or others)

- Original work of any fellow writer

- Doodle / scrap of any artist that doesn't have a promotional purpose for a project (don't confuse with fanart)

- Fanart

- AMV / fan made video

- photomontage of any sort (The signatures of Meogii for example :D)

- Guides that relate to any creative processus

- Discussions about any creative processus (For example : "How do you create a story from scratch?")

You could also have video of reviews created by our fellow members, but that's more of a grey area, on one hand a video review (or a review in general) is definitely something that involves a lot of creative process, but on the other hand, it definitely also belongs more to the "VN talk" section. Same deal with the threads aiming to discuss about general trends in VN, or about Visual Novels as a medium (the best example you can find currently being this thread : http://forums.fuwanovel.org/index.php?/topic/8182-visual-novels-a-different-approach/ ), would this kind of topic have it place in this section? If yes, it'd be important to make people understand that those type of posts should be created in the "creative corner".

Roleplay threads could work as well, but again it's a bit of a grey area, since it could also belong to the coliseum of chatter.

Last but not least, I believe the creative corner is probably one of the best place to have individuals "promote themselves". This section is probably a nice spot for a composer, an artist, a writer, or a programmer to create his / her own thread, either to share their creation, or either to ask for opinions, or even ask about how they can improve. It could also be simply a place to offer/propose your services (Again, like the signatures of Meogii, but it could also be an artist taking requests).

The only problem is that mixing all those different kind of topics in this section might seem a little weird or confusing (you'd have a discussion about story writing next to a thread about recruiting for a VN next to a thread about sharing art doodle for example...)

I'm very glad to see this implementation. 

• Topics discussing Art, Development and Writing.

By the way, does "discussing Art, Development and Writing" include critique and analysis of art? Or only creative pieces?

I'm very glad to see this implementation. 

By the way, does "discussing Art, Development and Writing" include critique and analysis of art? Or only creative pieces?

Think like this, if there's a better board for it, use it instead.

A critique of art in VN's goes in VN talk most of the time, for example.

Suspended and Stalled are literally synonyms that mean "to hold off/delay".

So yeah, no real reason to separate the two, I say either use one or the other.

The description can just be "The project has stopped activity due to circumstances, it may resume in the future"

Not entirely true. Stalled is usually used in different contexts than suspended. When used to refer to an action a person is taking, stall implies a much shorter period of time, usually just a few moments ("stalling for time"), while suspend could possibly be indefinite. When used to describe the status of an action or project, stall usually implies that it was unplanned or perhaps caused by outside forces (like a stalled engine), while suspend implies that the postponement was pre-meditated in some manner. To use a non-gaming example, you might say that when a construction project suddenly runs out of money and they can't pay the workers anymore it has stalled, and when a company decided they want to focus on another construction project instead the original one is suspended.

In the context of projects on the forums, the distinction might not be significant enough, though.

13 hours ago, Lumaria said:

I noticed the creative corner is used for original vn section too. Perhaos some maintenance can be done.

"Topics discussing Art, Development and Writing."

I see no particular issue, I think.

Just now, Tiagofvarela said:

"Topics discussing Art, Development and Writing."

I see no particular issue, I think.

Then you should update your own rules.

6 minutes ago, Tiagofvarela said:

What needs maintenance? I don't see what your issue is.

You have to distinct sections. Original VN, and creative corner. Creative corner doesn't seem to stem with VNs at all. 

However original VN (according to your own rules) says that section is for developing VNs too. 

1 minute ago, Lumaria said:

You have to distinct sections. Original VN, and creative corner. Creative corner doesn't seem to stem with VNs at all. 

However original VN (according to your own rules) says that section is for developing VNs too. 

That is because the Creative Corner is where all writers, coders (developers) and artists should flock to. Once together, it's the best place to create or try to create a team which then gets moved to the Original VN section.
The Original VN forum is solely for VN in development (or recruitment) threads. Imagine you have a question about VN Development; where would you put it? That's what the creative corner is for, and why all the tutorials for development/coding are there; as well as tutorials on how to manage a team, for instance.

Just now, Tiagofvarela said:

That is because the Creative Corner is where all writers, coders (developers) and artists should flock to. Once together, it's the best place to create or try to create a team which then gets moved to the Original VN section.
The Original VN forum is solely for VN in development (or recruitment) threads. Imagine you have a question about VN Development; where would you put it? That's what the creative corner is for, and why all the tutorials for development/coding are there; as well as tutorials on how to manage a team, for instance.

Perhaps you should clarify that. Heck I think you'd benefit a lot more by just calling it a "resource center". Creative corner implies a place to share your work unrelated to VNs.

3 minutes ago, Lumaria said:

Perhaps you should clarify that. Heck I think you'd benefit a lot more by just calling it a "resource center". Creative corner implies a place to share your work unrelated to VNs.

Creative Corner implies a place to share your Creativity. That included Coding by our standards.
If a newcomer thinks it's unclear? Don't worry! That's why this thread telling you exactly what goes where exists!

If I were to change anything, I'd clear that development also sort of stands for coding, but that is all. If you really think this needs to be revised, I can bring it up with someone, or you, or just wait for somebody important to read this thread.

33 minutes ago, Tiagofvarela said:

Creative Corner implies a place to share your Creativity. That included Coding by our standards.
If a newcomer thinks it's unclear? Don't worry! That's why this thread telling you exactly what goes where exists!

If I were to change anything, I'd clear that development also sort of stands for coding, but that is all. If you really think this needs to be revised, I can bring it up with someone, or you, or just wait for somebody important to read this thread.

Sharing coding and a thread designed to create a team isn't exactly the same thing. 

I definitely think it needs to be revised. Either way, a section designed for teaming up maybe better suited.