How to Install and Run Untranslated Visual Novel Text Hooking Tools

OriginalRen

You have two options: use ATLAS or start on the long journey to learn Japanese.  Both are viable.

ATLAS is commercial translation software sold for ~$1000.  That's ridiculous for personal use so just pirate it.  You'll need to mod it extensively to improve the translation.  There's HongFire threads that can instruct on how to do this.  After a few days or weeks you'll become accustomed to ATLAS-speak (like a terrible form of Middle English) and you'll be able to more or less understand what's going on.  I spent years playing VNs this way.  It works.

Alternatively, you can learn some basic grammar, use JParser, and look up every word you see.  Eventually you'll learn Japanese, which obviously improves comprehension over ATLAS in the long run.  Learning enough grammar to use JParser effectively will take a few weeks, and after that you can learn just by playing games.  It took me a couple years to improve my reading speed to about speaking pace.

ATLAS for quick results, JParser + grammar study for better comprehension.  You can mix and match too, like I did.

Also, while Translation Aggregator is better for parsing (JParser), Visual Novel Reader may be preferable for machine translation.  VNR is certainly easier to set up, at least, and it supports many more machine translation options.  Chiitrans seems more or less equivalent to Translation Aggregator.

If you want to learn you should get rid of any kind of help the soon as you can, I'm trying not to use the parser anymore and is really hard for me to do so even if I know that most of the time I don't need it  im so used to see the text divided and separated for me that is hard to read without it now. Granted, without it at the beginning it would have been a lot harder to learn but now is like "in my way" and holding me back and i cant get rid of it. Machine translations are a double edged weapons when you are learning so bear that in mind

Parsing just removes the need to learn kanji, and thus you won't learn them very well.  Japanese actually isn't that difficult to parse with or without help.  The parsing is there more for the dictionary lookup function than anything else.  I have to look up words on most lines so I can't really forgo the parser.

and furigana, i can't live without furigana and probably wont drop them... ever, japanese is not difficult to parse when you have basic grammar understanding, specially handling particles, nouns and verbs but if not it can be really tricky. 

edit: i also suck at katakana i just hate them (i still have hard times to differentiate シツ ンソ ) so i keep using it for that although chiitrans just auto translate the word automatically so yeah i know it's not what i should be doing but i dont care.

Yooooo. A big thank you for making this guide. I just followed every step and everything is working perfectly.

I'm currently learning Japanese and this is waaaay more efficient than looking up kanjis by radicals in the dictionary. I knew programs like these existed, but stumblig across this thread sure made things easy.

15 hours ago, sanahtlig said:

You have two options: use ATLAS or start on the long journey to learn Japanese.  Both are viable.

ATLAS is commercial translation software sold for ~$1000.  That's ridiculous for personal use so just pirate it.  You'll need to mod it extensively to improve the translation.  There's HongFire threads that can instruct on how to do this.  After a few days or weeks you'll become accustomed to ATLAS-speak (like a terrible form of Middle English) and you'll be able to more or less understand what's going on.  I spent years playing VNs this way.  It works.

Alternatively, you can learn some basic grammar, use JParser, and look up every word you see.  Eventually you'll learn Japanese, which obviously improves comprehension over ATLAS in the long run.  Learning enough grammar to use JParser effectively will take a few weeks, and after that you can learn just by playing games.  It took me a couple years to improve my reading speed to about speaking pace.

ATLAS for quick results, JParser + grammar study for better comprehension.  You can mix and match too, like I did.

Also, while Translation Aggregator is better for parsing (JParser), Visual Novel Reader may be preferable for machine translation.  VNR is certainly easier to set up, at least, and it supports many more machine translation options.  Chiitrans seems more or less equivalent to Translation Aggregator.

Can you please link me some of these threads? I don't think I can tolerate all this broken english anymore.

2 minutes ago, VirginSmasher said:

I at least want to understand what's being said.

I don't think so, machine translations work well when there is some easy text and short sentences and even then can screw up everything, to be honest I don't know how people can read an entire vn like that :P that's why I'm learning japanese, which by the way I recommend you to do so, if you really are into vns and anime the hard work will pay off.

Just now, Deep Blue said:

I don't think so, machine translations work well when there is some easy text and short sentences and even then can screw up everything, to be honest I don't know how people can read an entire vn like that :P that's why I'm learning japanese, which by the way I recommend you to do so, if you really are into vns and anime the hard work will pay off.

I'm planning on really starting to learn it after I'm finished high school. I'll probably take courses in College on how to learn fluent Japanese.