How to Install and Run Untranslated Visual Novel Text Hooking Tools

OriginalRen

32 minutes ago, VirginSmasher said:

I saved it as a .gz file because it was the only option. Does WinRar work with those type of files as well?

"WinRAR provides complete support for RAR and ZIP archives and is able to unpack CAB, ARJ, LZH, TAR, GZ, ACE, UUE, BZ2, JAR, ISO, 7Z, XZ, Z archives."

Source

That'd be a yes.

22 hours ago, VirginSmasher said:

Can you upload yours? I can't find the right one.

I think I figured out what's wrong.  The file currently on the server (edict2.gz, 14MB) is already uncompressed.  Just delete the .gz from the filename and stick it where it's supposed to go.  Translation Aggregator should generate an edict2.bin file from that once you start it.

13 minutes ago, sanahtlig said:

I think I figured out what's wrong.  The file currently on the server (edict2.gz, 14MB) is already uncompressed.  Just delete the .gz from the filename and stick it where it's supposed to go.  Translation Aggregator should generate an edict2.bin file from that once you start it.

In the file name for me, it doesn't have a .gz. It just says Edict2.

So um, for those of you that are failing this here's a simpler guide.

Before that I just want to say OP made a mistake in his guide. He linked you to the bad version of ITH. The one that fails to hook a lot of games. In the image below, you can see the 2 better versions of ITH I use, though I highly recommend ITHVNR, that's what I'm using all the time right now, and never find myself needing ITH because iTHVNR hooks every game I want to play.

I've had to change 3 computers so far these past few years and all I had to do was transfer this folder to the new computer:

Spoiler

H4Q6bEU.png

Inside my Translation Aggregator folder's 'dictionaries' are:

Spoiler

AKEODEm.png

Only other thing I had to do was install this:

Spoiler

uH1DN2p.png

And that was it, TA is running perfectly with Mecab in just these steps.

If you're wondering what my setup looks like, I only use Mecab in TA, no machine translators. Here:

Spoiler

dJ9wWSi.jpg

I don't even know what JParser does and I've never needed it, not that I knew what it did lol because I never need it.

OP, I highly recommend you to change the ITH part of your guide.

Don't make people download outdated products.

Link them to ITHVNR instead PLEASE. This as far as I know, use Visual Novel Reader's hooking system, which means its able to hook far more games than the outdated ITH.

Outdated ITH fails to hook a lot of the new games. Even March 4th 2015 version of ITH hooks way more games than that old ITH is able to.

ITHVNR is exactly the same as ITH in appearance, but its very different for what I've already said. The hooking part. You can see where it's different visually too:

Spoiler

RgAvC4z.jpg

I uploaded my entire working version of a recent build of Translation Aggregrator (may not be latest).  This includes my interface customizations, plugins, and edict2 dictionary, but not my game profiles.  You'll have to install Mecab and ATLAS separately to get those plugins to work.
MediaFire

I use both ITHVNR and ITH, though I always try ITHVNR first.  Some H-codes won't work with ITHVNR, so I have to use ITH instead.

2 hours ago, Zznbh said:

Link them to ITHVNR instead PLEASE. This as far as I know, use Visual Novel Reader's hooking system, which means its able to hook far more games than the outdated ITH.

Outdated ITH fails to hook a lot of the new games. Even March 4th 2015 version of ITH hooks way more games than that old ITH is able to.

ITHVNR is exactly the same as ITH in appearance, but its very different for what I've already said. The hooking part. You can see where it's different visually too:

ITHVNR still misses a lot of ITH's functionality... (unless it was updated recently) and the guide mentions ITHVNR

25 minutes ago, Kiriririri said:

ITHVNR still misses a lot of ITH's functionality... (unless it was updated recently) and the guide mentions ITHVNR

May I ask, what are those functionalities? I don't think I've noticed something that ITHVNR lack. But yeah, using the old ITH there was a lot of games I couldn't hooked, so I searched for some solutions, then I came across the other version of ITH which was updated unregularly (the 2015 one), first version I got was the 2014 July one, then I think the last released version was 2015 March. It worked much better than the old ITH, then one day I had trouble with a game I wanted to play, so I ended up with ITHVNR, and never had any more problems with hooking again.

And I did CTRL F the first page but ITHVNR didn't show up, and I reread the OP it didn't mention it.

1 minute ago, Zznbh said:

May I ask, what are those functionalities? I don't think I've noticed something that ITHVNR lack. But yeah, using the old ITH there was a lot of games I couldn't hooked then I came across the other version of ITH which was updated unregularly (the 2015 one), first version I got was the 2014 July one, then I think the last released version was 2015 March. After that it had trouble with 1 game I wanted to play, so I ended up with ITHVNR, and never had any more problems with hooking again.

And I did CTRL F the first page but ITHVNR didn't show up, and I reread the OP it didn't mention it.

Many things in the options that normal user wouldn't really use but still. Also there is no reason to change the ITH part since it still works and can hook some games VNR can't.

It actually didn't mention ITHVNR my bad. Thought it was ITHVNR that it mentioned but it was actually the fix to get ITH working on win10. Would be nice to get mention of ITHVNR there since it actually isn't there but at least it's mentioned here in the comments many times and in other threads about hooking.

1 hour ago, Kiriririri said:

Many things in the options that normal user wouldn't really use but still. Also there is no reason to change the ITH part since it still works and can hook some games VNR can't.

It actually didn't mention ITHVNR my bad. Thought it was ITHVNR that it mentioned but it was actually the fix to get ITH working on win10. Would be nice to get mention of ITHVNR there since it actually isn't there but at least it's mentioned here in the comments many times and in other threads about hooking.

ITHVNR aside. I mean the only reason I stopped using the old ITH was because I wanted to play Hoshi Ori Yume Mirai and it doesn't hook it.

https://vndb.org/t5586

Saw this thread and it linked me to updated ITH which hooked the game. I honestly don't think the outdated ITH should be recommended. Even if you don't like ITHVNR at least change it to the 2015 March version of ITH?

I don't know what kind of games that ITH can hook and ITHVNR can't, but I haven't came across any. And ITH certainly can't hook quite a few newer games.

Here are all the versions of ITH btw: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/19cccdf5op3cg/ITH

9 hours ago, Zznbh said:

Hidden Content

Do you have a good tutorial on how to get ITHVNR to work because it honestly sounds like the best option for me.