How to Install and Run Untranslated Visual Novel Text Hooking Tools

OriginalRen

This guide isn't meant to talk about VNR. From what actual Japanese VN readers in the community have said (Clephas, Mephisto, to name a few), VNR is actually quite shitty compared to other programs out there. I remember them saying that if you want to actually learn words and practice understanding nuances in Japanese meaning, VNR is not the way to go.

I think you're confusing the various functions of VNR (and the point I'm trying to make).  VNR can be used as a text hooker (just like ITH) in combination with Translation Aggregator.  It can also be used to do other things, replacing Translation Aggregator.  You made a guide to text hook in one very specific way, but realize that text hooking is very complex (and spottily documented), and your guide covers only a fraction of what a dedicated text-hooker user should probably know to make the best use of the tools available.  I myself use a combination of ITH, ITHVNR, VNR, and Translation Aggregator as the situation demands.  Clephas does something similar, as ITH alone just isn't sufficient these days as a text hooker.

tldr; You shouldn't try and argue with me based on second-hand knowledge.

I think you're confusing the various functions of VNR (and the point I'm trying to make).  VNR can be used as a text hooker (just like ITH) in combination with Translation Aggregator.  It can also be used to do other things, replacing Translation Aggregator.  You made a guide to text hook in one very specific way, but realize that text hooking is very complex (and spottily documented), and your guide covers only a fraction of what a dedicated text-hooker user should probably know to make the best use of the tools available.  I myself use a combination of ITH, ITHVNR, VNR, and Translation Aggregator as the situation demands.  Clephas does something similar, as ITH alone just isn't sufficient these days as a text hooker.

tldr; You shouldn't try and argue with me based on second-hand knowledge.

Interesting, because your original post said nothing about combining all of them. In fact, if I may quote:

"But honestly, if you want to machine translate VNR is probably the better tool..."

I click the link you provide, and the 1st thing I see is a "use VNR for everything" post. No offense, but in no way does that make anyone believe a combination of all of these elements is what your original intention was. That simply tells me that VNR is superior in the writer's eyes.

"Machine translate" is the common parlance for a fully automated Japanese -> English translation.  What I said was accurate.

Based on that statement, you seemed to have assumed intent that wasn't there, which prompted me to further elaborate.  My guess is you took my statement as some sort of provocation?  A suggested change to the guide?  A recommendation to include VNR in the guide?  One of those, I suppose?  In reality it was just an offhand comment summing up the results of my last few hours of research on the topic.

• 1 month later...

I still need help with this game "Watashi ga Suki nara "Suki" tte Itte!".

ITH and VNR can't do anything about it.

For the trial version...

/HSN-8@48A37:私が好きなら「好き」って言って!体験版.exe

You might want to set the message speed to max or else ITH will read each row as a separate "line".

Also, if ITH doesn't like Japanese characters in the H-code, rename your exe to game.exe

and use /HSN-8@48A37:game.exe instead of the one above.

• 3 weeks later...

My guess is that the Trial version needs an AGTH code, but people usually don't spend time developing codes for Trials.

I'm getting a weird issue with VNR.  Hook codes will work the first time I launch a game (any one game) after restarting my computer, but hooking will fail whenever Iaunch any subsequent game.   Is this a common issue?  The same codes work fine in AGTH, and hooking works fine in games that don't require specific codes (such as KiriKiri games).

Edited by PO

Likely an issue with random base address. Is this a hook you made yourself? If so you can fix it by finding the address where it works, then take away the entry point address so you're left with a relative address, and then use the form of address:name instead of just an absolute address.

These are not codes that I developed on my own.  The codes work fine in AGTH.

For example, this code /hb30@42efcc works in AGTH, but only works if in VNR if it is the first game I launch of the boot cycle.

EDIT:  I posted the question elsewhere, I as I think that is the more appropriate place.

Edited by PO

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the full version of Watashi ga Suki nara "Suki" tte Itte! or also known as 私が好きなら「好き」って言って! from chuablesoft also requires a code. It uses the Majiro engine, if that helps. Would be nice if someone who knows how to figure out /h codes could help.

Thanks.

Looks like the full version of Watashi ga Suki nara "Suki" tte Itte! or also known as 私が好きなら「好き」って言って! from chuablesoft also requires a code. It uses the Majiro engine, if that helps. Would be nice if someone who knows how to figure out /h codes could help.

Thanks.

It changed slightly. For the full version...

/HSN-8@48A57:私が好きなら「好き」って言って!.exe

Like before, rename the exe to game.exe and use  /HSN-8@48A57:game.exe  since ITH might not handle japanese in the H-code. Also remember to increase the game's message speed and/or ITH's split time.

Hello. I just downloaded ITH but when I try to add anything I get:

Exception code 0xC0000005

Address: 0x0040ED86

PS. I run Win10 64bit

ITH doesn't work on Win10. Try ITHVNR or find binaryfail's ITH-fix that is somewhere here on the forum :P 

PS. I run Win10 64bit

ITH doesn't work on Win10. Try ITHVNR or find binaryfail's ITH-fix that is somewhere here on the forum :P 

His post is actually in this thread... Here is the link.

http://forums.fuwanovel.net/topic/8239-how-to-install-and-run-untranslated-visual-novel-text-hooking-tools/?do=findComment&comment=322977

PS. I run Win10 64bit

His post is actually in this thread... Here is the link.

http://forums.fuwanovel.net/topic/8239-how-to-install-and-run-untranslated-visual-novel-text-hooking-tools/?do=findComment&comment=322977

Thanks. Fixed. Everything works.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have luck getting these to work recently? Translation Aggregator has been taken over by someone else and now my antivirus goes nuts with it... Can anyone verify that the latest version is really clean? 

Also for some reason 7Zip doesn't want to recognize Edict2.gz as an archive file, so I can't extract it. Any ideas or alternative downloads in Zip or Rar format? I tried getting Edict.zip from the site but it doesn't seem to work, or maybe TA just failed to load anything because my antivirus hates it... I'm not sure where I went wrong.

I'm on Windows 7 64-bit, in Japanese locale, trying to play "Sumire" by NekoNekoSoft. ITH picks it up but Translation Aggregator does nothing -- no output in any of the 4 panes left up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: After trying it all over from the beginning, now when I open Translation Aggregator I get "Error: Unable to create socket. Hooking engine won't work." Hmm.

Edited by WelkinDust

Anyone have luck getting these to work recently? Translation Aggregator has been taken over by someone else and now my antivirus goes nuts with it... Can anyone verify that the latest version is really clean?

It's clean.

Also for some reason 7Zip doesn't want to recognize Edict2.gz as an archive file, so I can't extract it. Any ideas or alternative downloads in Zip or Rar format?

7zip has no problem with gz-files. Your file is probably corrupt or something like this. I just downloaded the newest version of edict2.gz and opened it with 7zip without any problem.

I'm on Windows 7 64-bit, in Japanese locale, trying to play "Sumire" by NekoNekoSoft. ITH picks it up but Translation Aggregator does nothing -- no output in any of the 4 panes left up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You need to explicitly activate the online translator windows. Offline translators and kanji parsers are activated by default, I think.

Nothing will work, if your antivirus interferes, obviously.

Also for some reason 7Zip doesn't want to recognize Edict2.gz as an archive file, so I can't extract it. Any ideas or alternative downloads in Zip or Rar format?

You if re-downloading the file doesn't work. Then you prbly don't need to extract it with 7zip. Just put the edict2 file into the dictionary folder of TA. Then run TA. You will know it works if TA has created a edict2.bin file in the dictionary folder.

You if re-downloading the file doesn't work. Then you prbly don't need to extract it with 7zip. Just put the edict2 file into the dictionary folder of TA. Then run TA. You will know it works if TA has created a edict2.bin file in the dictionary folder.

Put the Zip file in TA ?