How to Install and Run Untranslated Visual Novel Text Hooking Tools

OriginalRen

I've tried creating H-codes twice, spending around 3hrs the first time with OllyDebug and around 7hrs the second time with Cheat Engine, using the guides available.  I wasn't successful in either case.  The problem is that the "low hanging fruit" of easy H-codes are usually already on the web.  If you can't find one, then that typically means 1) it's a harder target or 2) there's a better way to hook the game that doesn't require an H-code.  The guides themselves tell you that you need a working understanding of assembly language.  That's nice and all, but if I'm going to have to sink time into learning a language, I'd rather it be Japanese...

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I got the gist of using ITH and TH...can you tell me how you guys translate vn..i meani give and example right..the vn is in jap and i want to rewrite it in english with my own word...thank you for reading...

Unpacking the scripts and reinserting them back into the game is a technically complex process that typically requires a dedicated hacker.  It's not something an amateur should even be contemplating.  If you want to fan translate a game, you need to find a competent hacker to work with.  Visual Novel Reader has a function that allows fan annotation, but I don't think the feature is commonly used.

if i made a copy of the vn and tried to experimenting it can also right..

because all pros start as a beginner...been asking a lot of people to teach how to unpacking the scripts and rewrote it and place it back..and how to fix the minor bug that comes along with it..

edit : I used a different browser and now it works.

I dont know what i did wrong but at step 2

Task 2 - Installing the Edict2 Dictionary:

After successfully installing TA, you are probably nervous that it's only going to get harder, right? Nope! Let's install Edict2 next because it's as easy as pie:

Easy: Click this link: http://ftp.monash.ed...hongo/edict2.gz. Wait for the page to finish loading. After it finishes, save the page by hitting Ctrl+S. Save it anywhere on your computer:

Spoiler 

As: Extract the file (if it is in a zipped folder) by using your zip program (i.e. = WinRAR). Once it is extracted, simply move the new file into your dictionary folder located in your original TA folder:

Spoiler 

Pie: Easy no? That's all there is to it. Good job!

I saved the file edict2 (zipfile) but whenever i try to extract or open it. it gives me an error - The archive is either in unknown format or damaged - tried a couple of times but doesnt seem to be working.

edit : I used a different browser and now it works.

• 2 weeks later...

Do text hookers work on visual novels that are only full screen and no windows option? I tried this with White Album: Tsuzurareru Fuyu no Omoide and the text don't appear in Translation Aggregator. I can only minimize it with Crti Alt Delete to see the Translation Aggregator and the visual novel will lag my Laptop while it's minimized, which can be annoying. I might have to go back to reading it by drawing the kanji's if they don't with the PS3 version. I have the disc and just got the PC port yesterday.

When I was looking for h code for Hanasaki Workspring one guy recommended this:

http://www.hongfire.com/forum/showthread.php/438331-ITHVNR-ITH-with-the-VNR-engine

It's just basically VNR integrated into ITH I guess? Some games that require h codes for hooking originally can be hooked with ITHVNR, like Hanasaki Workspring. Thought I would post this because ITHVNR is not listed.

• 2 months later...

It's been confirmed that ITH doesn't work with Windows 10, and an update to fix the issue is unlikely.  The guide will need to be updated with alternatives.

In addition, the AGTH code database of custom H-codes is no longer.  This is a major setback that will impact English players of older Japanese titles.

The original post has been edited.

Not sure if anybody is still interested in using ITH on Windows 10, but I've attempted to fix that initial crash when selecting a process to attach.

Download the fixed ITH build here

MnLUo6z.jpg

I edited the original guide to include your fix in case users own Windows 10. If people use your fixed executable, do they still need to update ITH and the profile using the updater? Let me know and I can add this to the guide as well.

Not sure if anybody is still interested in using ITH on Windows 10, but I've attempted to fix that initial crash when selecting a process to attach.

Download the fixed ITH build here

MnLUo6z.jpg

I posted your fix in the HongFire thread where the issue (some sort of memory access violation) was first described.  This sort of problem is beyond my technical understanding, so I have to leave it to others to actually determine if your solution has addressed the root problem or simply one symptom of it.

Also, does anyone have the original TA files from the site? I want to upload all of the material to my Google Drive and provide links in the description in case any of this stuff gets taken down. Let me know in this thread or via PM please.

Updated Translation Aggregator

It looks like the creator of AGTH, Setx, has decided to start maintaining Translation Aggregator, so it's being updated for the first time in years.  This is really great news, as some of its functions were starting to break.

I edited the original guide to include your fix in case users own Windows 10. If people use your fixed executable, do they still need to update ITH and the profile using the updater? Let me know and I can add this to the guide as well.

If they've already ran the updater before, it won't be needed again. As long as the fixed exe is not named ITH.exe, it won't be overwritten by the updater.

This guide isn't meant to talk about VNR. From what actual Japanese VN readers in the community have said (Clephas, Mephisto, to name a few), VNR is actually quite shitty compared to other programs out there. I remember them saying that if you want to actually learn words and practice understanding nuances in Japanese meaning, VNR is not the way to go.