(Announcement) Leadership Changes + Site Council

The long-prophesied day has come.

Today I'm announcing a shift in the way Fuwanovel works. It's the big "leadership overhaul" I've been referring to, and hopefully it makes working on the site better for everyone. At the least it'll mean project leaders get more control and autonomy so I'm not in their way as often.

We have a lot of projects going on in the community. Some are personal, which we're not going to touch, but others are done by or for the Fuwanovel community: social media, the blog, moderators, reviews, etc.

Today's changes focus on that second category: projects which are meant to be by the community (like an official project) or for the community. I'm going to call them FuwaProjects for clarity's sake, to distinguish them from personal projects (which aren't co-opted into this program at all).

The Short Version:

• The big change is that FuwaProjects are going to be made a lot more autonomous, and representatives or team leaders from each project will be gathered together in a board here on the forums called the "Leadership Council" (LC).
  • The purpose of the LC is to give each other updates and feedback and discuss relevant site issues before any big decisions are made by myself and any relevant project leaders.
  • If you are part of a project you consider a FuwaProject and it's more than a short-term effort, you are more than welcome to PM me (Tay) and request access to the LC. 
  • All project leaders are considered equals on the LC. Nobody pulls rank on anybody else, and discussion is meant to be constructive (since, after all, you can't force a project lead to run the project your way). The primary oversight over a project leader will essentially be me: we'll have periodic check-ins to refine the project's direction, goals, and reasonable activity requirements. 
  • The FuwaDirectory will list all of the active projects and project leaders on the site so you know what's going on and who to contact about it. 

16037972267_5341022c37_z_d.jpg

A few more minor details if you're interested:

• There will be a few jobs in the LC itself to help it function well and make coordination more effective. These are being finalized, and will be included in the FuwaDirectory.
  • I will continue to maintain a controlling vote on community affairs. If the day comes that this changes or I leave the site (on my own or by request), the community will be notified and any changes to site leadership structure will be explained publicly.

• Global mods are also part of the LC. As part of this change, GM rulings on rule-breaking and respect violations will correspondingly hold more weight. Appeals to the best-two-out-of-three GM rulings will generally be the last word on the matter, though GMs can elect to pass an appeal to me, instead.

Final Note: 

The "Leadership" part of LC refers to the fact that those on the LC are community leaders -- they're running the projects making the community what it is (and making it better). It's not a decision making body, exactly, but it's meant to be the hub of site direction and planning. In the past we often confused the distinction between the real and on-the-ground community leaders, and the badges assigned by our forums software (like the "Admin" badge under my avatar). We need a paradigm shift: forums badges do not a site leader make. The FuwaDirectory shows all the folks working on Fuwanovel, and each of them deserve a corresponding amount of respect.

Thanks for your time! Feel free to let me know if you have any questions or problems.

Sounds like a great thing  :)

I'm not particularly active on the forums but I'm glad for people who dedicate much time and effort

to make Fuwanovel the place it is. They really deserve to be thanked and this way, their work

will have an even greater effect on the development of these projects.  ^_^

I feel like this would've gotten more attention and feedback if it was releases simultaneously with a change to the Fuwadirectory (i.e. the announcement of the founding of a new team). Feels a little underwhelming of an announcement considering its relative importance to the site.  -_-

• 2 months later...

Question!  How will this impact OELVNs with threads on Fuwa?  Are the OELVN projects part of the LC as well?  Probably not, though it's good to ask, but how will communication between the OELVN devs and the LC be handled?  What kinds of things would need to be discussed between the two to get things moving smoothly?

Question!  How will this impact OELVNs with threads on Fuwa?  Are the OELVN projects part of the LC as well?  Probably not, though it's good to ask, but how will communication between the OELVN devs and the LC be handled?  What kinds of things would need to be discussed between the two to get things moving smoothly?

(Abbreviations: LC = Leadership Council; PM = Project Managers/Leaders over either a TL or OELVN project on the dev boards)

The LC is centered on Fuwanovel itself, so the TL and OELVN project managers aren't a part of it. That said, as soon as I hear back from some people about a possible VN tracking program (one way or the other), we'll be rolling out a separate coordination system between PMs and Fuwa community leaders.