VN List: Kamige

Clephas

Ahaha, people are probably being a little bit too critical.

There’s really not many objective standards for good fiction. There’s a few guidelines people can follow, but at the end of the day it’s impossible to produce a scientific style checklist that categorises the attributes necessary for great fiction. Any list that is produced will come down to a matter of taste and preference and would just be a guide, which is what Clephas’ list is. It’s a detailed guide produced by a very knowledgeable and experienced member of the forums for those looking for suggestions on what to read, which should be useful to most of the people interested in Visual Novels. Whether it will be useful to any individual is up in the air though.

Heh, Kaguya’s 50 translated VNs you must read before you die is of undeniable use to the majority of people, but I disagree with the majority of it *insert raspberry here.* That I disagree with it doesn’t make it of any less use to those being introduced to the genre, though.

Anyway my advice to Clephas is to just trust your gut and not to worry too much about producing criteria, because any attempt to quantify what makes great fiction always comes unstuck. For example, your guidelines could be interpreted to mean Dostoevsky wrote great fiction but not Tolstoy, who’s works were not as intellectual. Also, there is an often recited story on the internet (which originated from Arthur C Clarke,) of how Hemingway bet he could write a 6 word novel. It can’t be verified, but the result “For sale: Baby shoes, never worn” (one of the best examples of flash fiction) is probably an excellent example of how great stories just can’t be quantified in any set way.

For instance, I don't know if there are any OELVNs that could be considered kamige.

Heh, Kaguya’s 50 translated VNs you must read before you die is of undeniable use to the majority of people, but I disagree with the majority of it *insert raspberry here.* That I disagree with it doesn't make it of any less use to those being introduced to the genre, though.

Well someone cannot possibly be fully objective. It is simply stupid to say that anything is completely objective. Something as basic as looking at a scenery(any beautiful sight like waterfall, mountains, etc.) is completely different for two people looking at it at the same time. So expecting full objectivity in a story is nigh impossible.

First of all I added all the translated vns which I haven't read yet to my 'wishlist'.

Since I don't pass the 100+ vn requirement (still at 20+) I can't ask you add my top vns. But I would like to know what you didn't like in them. My top vns are basically the ones I have rated 10/10 namely - Little Busters! and Steins;Gate.

• 5 months later...

glad that hapymaher made it onto the list, truly enjoyed the ride, totally not obsessed with yayoi..nonono...
& for the term kamige, from my point of view its like the ultimate total package, or whatoever description may fit it better....

• 2 weeks later...

I should clarify about Key's games.  When it comes to technical issues, I don't think anyone does non-ero VNs quite as well as Key does.  However, while all their works are memorable, I don't recall ever being completely satisfied with one of their VNs, except Planetarian (and that is because Planetarian is designed to be self-contained).  That isn't to say they aren't enjoyable or amusing, because they are.  They are the template for the nakige sub-genre for a reason.  However, the tendency toward an overemphasis on adorable-ness has a tendency to weaken the actual storytelling, and there are frequently plotholes plaguing at least some of the paths in each.  If you asked me 'did this stimulate my emotions' I can always say yes with them (except Rewrite), but I've yet to ever have my intellect stimulated even slightly by a Key game.  Air had some interesting aspects, but the anime was actually better at bringing those aspects out than the VN, which is kind of sad.

Edit: It doesn't help that I've run across VNs that do emotionality better in the last few years while also stimulating intellect. 

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have to say that this is one amazing list. It turns out that most of stuff I read/plan to read actually matched this list.

Though I don't really have the right to suggest anything because I don't have 100+ VN under my belt, but I would still like to ask a question. Why nothing was included from such powerhouses like Steins;Gate, Umineko or Baldr Sky Dive franchises? Considering their ratings on VNDB they belong to top 10. Considering popularity - they are very iconic and belong to most popular and respected franchises list. Quality wise they at least were equal or higher than some of entries on this list. 

9 hours ago, Sparteh said:

I have to say that this is one amazing list. It turns out that most of stuff I read/plan to read actually matched this list.

Though I don't really have the right to suggest anything because I don't have 100+ VN under my belt, but I would still like to ask a question. Why nothing was included from such powerhouses like Steins;Gate, Umineko or Baldr Sky Dive franchises? Considering their ratings on VNDB they belong to top 10. Considering popularity - they are very iconic and belong to most popular and respected franchises list. Quality wise they at least were equal or higher than some of entries on this list. 

Iconic doesn't mean good. Not a single one of them has truly what it takes to be considered a Kamige. Granted, S;G is preety close, but still falls flat.

That said, as Clephas mentioned above - for one to be a kamige does not necesarilly mean it has to be super entertaining. That goes the other way around, as well - a vn does not have to be a kamige to be truly entertaining. In the end, "kamige" is just a tag, people tend to stick to games they feel to have something more than just being plain entertainment carriers. Some games even do have artistic value. Does that mean they will be trully great as games, though? Not necesarilly. Beyond being able to distinguish between those factors, one can't forget that the most important thing is it's own, personal enjoyment that comes from reading these games and other people's guides shouldn't ever cloud your own judgement.

Tsukihime really impressed me. I'm really sensitive to graphics and musics in general, and in this aspect... it's actually pretty mediocre (except some CG here and there, but there's not many).

But, it must be one of my favorite works of all times (doesn't mean it must be one of the best for everyone, just for me). Well, I don't know much about VNs yet so I don't feel qualified to talk about quality of VNs in general, but I sure love Tsukihime.

Edited by Pinkaw

Just to be clear, I regret making this particular thread... I can't help but wince looking back on when I made it.  While the VNs named are all excellent in their own ways, my definition of a 'kamige' has gotten a lot stricter since then... in the sense that I'm no longer willing to merely name games I love as kamige, hahaha....

2 hours ago, Clephas said:

Just to be clear, I regret making this particular thread... I can't help but wince looking back on when I made it.  While the VNs named are all excellent in their own ways, my definition of a 'kamige' has gotten a lot stricter since then... in the sense that I'm no longer willing to merely name games I love as kamige, hahaha....

Isn't that totally normal? The more one is exposed to something, the more familiar one gets with it, therefore one can judge better. For example, when I first watched anime I considered some shows like Infinite Stratos to be nearly masterpieces. The more I watched, the less I considered it to be good. Now, when I am getting close to 800 completed anime mark I consider it to be nearly trash (though I keep kind ratings on MAL)... I even want to say that I feel nearly shameful for my past opinion about it.

13 hours ago, Narcosis said:

Iconic doesn't mean good. Not a single one of them has truly what it takes to be considered a Kamige. Granted, S;G is preety close, but still falls flat.

That said, as Clephas mentioned above - for one to be a kamige does not necesarilly mean it has to be super entertaining. That goes the other way around, as well - a vn does not have to be a kamige to be truly entertaining. In the end, "kamige" is just a tag, people tend to stick to games they feel to have something more than just being plain entertainment carriers. Some games even do have artistic value. Does that mean they will be trully great as games, though? Not necesarilly. Beyond being able to distinguish between those factors, one can't forget that the most important thing is it's own, personal enjoyment that comes from reading these games and other people's guides shouldn't ever cloud your own judgement.

Well, isn't this still too subjective? Well, with my VN count I'm not really qualified to comment on this list, but even I can see that that there are some titles which include some major problems. Major enough to override all the artistic value they might have.