Looking to help someone to self-study Japanese.

rainsismyfav

Update: 03-26-15

Finished almost all "basic" grammar with Nosebleed and Keaton. Congratulations for graduating Nosebleed and ~ Keaton (Grieviious). lol.....

Best of luck for your retention.

Topics I covered can be found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ku-5p27HxMlWySQAqBvZygwhQp8Z1EHFY-oYE-KdBlg/edit#gid=0

Happy Year 2015 to you~

You can call me rains

Do you have a strong motivation to learn Japanese?

Can you spend a fair amount of time on learning?

If you are a beginner and have interests in reading untranslated VNs and/or eventually becoming a part of the translation culture, then this thread might be for you!

I’m looking to help someone become self-reliant in Japanese. That means being able to: independently seek out resources, form your own self-study sessions, and most importantly --- be able to read from VNs and learn from them.

I will serve as the guidepost, giving you tips on what to tackle next. I will devote time to seeing your growth as long as you devote your own time to invest in learning Japanese. My approach will be purely on grammar. You’ll have to do all the vocab/kanji learning on your own. My goal for you is to get you to understand how Japanese sentences work. How do all the words relate to each other in the sentence. I’ll try to get you to learn from patterns and examples.  From then on, you can try to read manga/VNs and put the piece of the puzzle yourself.

Scheduling will be entirely reliant on you. You should create your own schedule. Try to learn it first, then come to me with questions and clarification. If I have time I can teach you the new topic myself. You can contact me anytime I’m free. 

It is imperative that you try to create a study routine --- keyword: routine. It needs to be a habit; it needs to be a lifestyle change.

Ideally, if you want to learn Japanese fast, you’d want to have full immersion. You’d want to have your free time devoted to anything related to Japanese: be it Anime, JP Manga, Drama, TV shows, VNs, etc.

If you have questions or interest, reply to this thread or pm me.

Unfortunately, I am but only a single person so this offer is only for one or two people. Keep in mind I am Eastern Time Zone (EST)… My weekday schedule is EST evenings.

What are your long term aspirations/goals? What are your short-term goals? Which VN would you like to read eventually? How much Japanese do you already know (if you do)? How much time can you devote?

If you’re selected, I’d like the main correspondence to be through skype (rains90), it’s the best way (and the only way really..) you can contact me during my free time. If you’d like, I might also throw you in a very small group of other people who are trying to self-study.

I’m planning to select someone by January 8th.

Extra Sources:

https://forums.fuwanovel.net/index.php?/topic/3801-good-vns-for-starting-reading-it-in-jap-with-help-from-mecab-and-jparser/

https://forums.fuwanovel.net/index.php?/topic/2792-learning-japanese-useful-resources/?hl=%20japanese%20%20learning

http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar Taekim’s grammar guide. I might base the grammar sequence on this.

https://forums.fuwanovel.net/index.php?/topic/7625-why-japanese-is-easier-to-learn-than-you-think/

61dab425aa.jpg

Picture from a youtube video of Steve Kaufmann (a polyglot)

I was waiting for you to post this (when I saw your PM), I'm really interested in this offer, I believe one of my weaknesses when it comes to Japanese is the fact I can't motivate myself to study it for long periods of time (if even 30 mins) on my own.

This type of studying is something I've been looking to do for a while as well.

If you decide to pick me, just know that I'll try my hardest to be diligent, i usually work better when I have someone else guiding me along than doing everything myself.

I also really wanted to improve my japanese before I enter college next year since I'm going to be attending Japanese classes then and was hoping to enter at a higher level (not elementary).

Though my main reason is really just because I like the language and want to be able to read things independently.

I have a lot of free time right now and this would be perfect to fill in that time.

In the end it's your choice who to pick but I can only praise you for being willing to do this.

I'm moderately interested in this, though I'm already reading Tae Kim (not that I'm far into it - last thing I read was transitive / intransitive verbs, but I kinda rushed it.) What I think I need most is more example sentences to grasp the more abstract concepts the guide uses better in practice. I could probably get this somewhere else (genki textbooks or whatever) but that'd be a huge pain.

My vocab is modestly shit, but I've completed Remembering the Kanji 1 which means I know one meaning and writing for each jouyou kanji (I've found it helps me remember words, at least so far.)

The EST timezone isn't ideal, but if your "evening" starts at like 18:00 that's midnight for me which won't usually be horrible (my sleep schedule does, unfortunately, sometimes flip so that I start sleeping at 16:00 EST).

Long-term aspirations: be able to read VNs with difficult language like Dies Irae etc; this would be facilitated the usual grammar -> parser hook moege -> improve chain that people recommend. it would also be nice to be able to express myself, not just read.

Edited by Zakamutt

Im interested in this I have a good amount of free time and am interested in putting a lot of that time into learning Japanese. The only thing that has been holding me back so far has been the fact that I had absolutely no idea where to start or really how to start I have looked over Genki a little bit and done a tiny bit of Tae Kim's guide but other then that tiny bit I am very new to Japanese. The way you plan on helping is actually the way I learn as well If someone can help a little bit by guiding me I am able to pick stuff up rather quickly and learn. I also have been wanting to be able to put some time into translating in the future once I know im at a level that is able to do so.

I am in PST so our timezones are very close together. Im sure it would be easy to work out times.

I have selected Grieviious

Thank you for the interests, everyone. I have your profiles saved in this thread (as long as it lives). If there's any update, I'll let you guys know first.

@MetalUpa1014

I'm also generally interested in learning Mandarin Chinese. Maybe we can study that together sometime in the distant future.

I have selected Grieviious

Thank you for the interests, everyone. I have your profiles saved in this thread (as long as it lives). If there's any update, I'll let you guys know first.

@MetalUpa1014

I'm also generally interested in learning Mandarin Chinese. Maybe we can study that together sometime in the distant future.

How'd you even choose? RNG?

• 2 months later...

As of tonight, I have successfully (???) taught both Nosebleed and Keaton (Grieviious) most of the basic essential grammar. I just want to thank both of them for their participation and patience with me. Any feedback as for my teaching sessions are appreciated (send them via PM please).

Couple of things I learned throughout the sessions:

1. I think interactive skype call is way more efficient, and effective than chatting.

2. Average (with a sample of two people) pacing seems to be two sessions per week.

3. Average topics covered per session is about 4-5 depending on difficulty of topics.

3. It's kinda hard to get you guys to study new material on your own...

4. It pretty much became a 1-on-1 teaching session throughout vs. "Try to learn it first, then come to me with questions and clarification."

5. I cannot spend the effort nor time to track retention or immersion outside of the sessions.

I might take new students in the future. I don't know. Maybe when people start their summer vacation, I might.

If it'll help someone in the meantime, though I don't have the time for lectures, I can do the "Try to learn it first, then ask for clarification." approach.   I might also be able to help with some additional learning/practice materials to fill in the gap between whatever online guide you're reading and the actual books/VN's you're trying to read.  The only difference is nowadays I'm not regularly on Teamspeak etc. like I used to be...will have to figure out a time...

• 2 weeks later...

I Also have an interest in learning Japanese . I tried to learn it a few years ago but never got far. My long term goals are being able to read Japanese VNs and maybe translate them in my own language (Dutch) since there aren't many games available in Dutch at the moment . Are there any fuwanatics wanting to help me achieve that? Any tips?

I Also have an interest in learning Japanese . I tried to learn it a few years ago but never got far. My long term goals are being able to read Japanese VNs and maybe translate them in my own language (Dutch) since there aren't many games available in Dutch at the moment . Are there any fuwanatics wanting to help me achieve that? Any tips?

I recommend you start learning/memorizing Hiragana and Katakana ASAP. It's hard to start learning japanese without those two. Focus on Hiragana, devote about 80-20% versus Katakana. Only after that is it optimal to learn grammar, vocab, and kanji.

You can pm me if you're serious about learning.

If you're on skype you can add me @ rains90 if you need constant tips along the way. I'm sure some people in this forum are also willing to help.

I recommend you start learning/memorizing Hiragana and Katakana ASAP. It's hard to start learning japanese without those two. Focus on Hiragana, devote about 80-20% versus Katakana. Only after that is it optimal to learn grammar, vocab, and kanji.

You can pm me if you're serious about learning.

If you're on skype you can add me @ rains90 if you need constant tips along the way. I'm sure some people in this forum are also willing to help.

Thank you so much. I don't know how much I still remember from when I started learning Japanese three years ago but I'll make sure to get on it . Thank you. Any recommendation on how to memorize them? Would you recommend picking them up a few characters a time or all at once?

Few characters at a time at first, then review the older ones as you learn new~. I suggest learning them by consonant-series, for example all the "k" series か け き こ く etc. Then move on to the next. Once you cover everything, take a stab at reading words you find anywhere, then test yourself. I personally just hard-memorized them. I had printed hira+kata sheets and brought them to school and would look at them during downtime.

Thank you so much. I don't know how much I still remember from when I started learning Japanese three years ago but I'll make sure to get on it . Thank you. Any recommendation on how to memorize them? Would you recommend picking them up a few characters a time or all at once?

You can try writing them, you can try free programs out there online. I'm not really familiar with those.