Visual novels I am looking for

visualnovelfan

Hi.

I am quite new to visual novels. The ones I read I really liked. Now I would like to read another one but I have a hard time deciding. I am looking for a visual novel that is at least around 20-30 hours long, I don't mind if it is longer. I would like a visual novel with a smart, male protagonist and a really good story. I would prefer story to have battle of wits and great, intense, emotional moments. I am not looking for a slice of life story.

I already read

G- Senjou no Maou (Great story, which is closest to what I am looking for)

Ever17 (Great story, very emotional and incredible character development)

Sharin no Kuni (I really liked its protagonist, and his role as well as story intensity)

Danganronpa (I really liked the story, it was well-written)

Fate Stay Night (I guess it was interesting in terms of action and balancing it with everyday life but the main character was not really smart).

So, too long, did not read: translated,  great story, epic moments, not slice of life, suspenseful, important things happen to world, not just inside protagonist, smart male protagonist, longer than 20 hours, preferably battle of wits or action or some mystery

It would be great if you could give me some recommendation. Feel free to ask me if I didn't explain well what I am looking for.

great story   epic moments √  not slice of life √  suspenseful √  not just inside protagonist √ smart male protagonist √ longer than 20 hours √  battle of wits √  action √  mystery √  important things happen to world √ 

All of these have the bold, depends on the VN what more they have

Umineko no Naku Koro ni 

I/O

Steins;Gate

Demonbane

Steins;Gate has a lot of slice of life (though not hugely long as some) to start with, Grisaia's common route can take like 30 hours and is mostly comedy.

Remember11 might leave you disappointed at the end, but holy shit is it a ride before then. You liked Ever17, so it should be good.

You liked F/SN, so you should really read Tsukihime.

Rewrite has a long-ass mostly comedic common route. If you actually read the text, you'll see that the protagonist mostly isn't retarded except for a tragic moment in Lucia's route. God damn it Ryuukishi. Otherwise it has battles, one helluva lot of world changing in some routes, and even sorta-mindgames in its true route!

It's also really long.

After the common route Rewrite gets pretty serious (and there is some serious stuff building up before it ends too.)

The ending in Remember11 doesn't explain much of what happened, unlike Ever17's. You need to grind through a lot of bad ends to get stuff you need to begin to really understand what the hell happens in many parts, and you might be best advised to consult a blog explaining it afterward lol. Nevertheless, I do recommend it.

After the common route Rewrite gets pretty serious (and there is some serious stuff building up before it ends too.)

I am a casualty to Rewrite's common route. My short lived journey felt so long... I remember crawling through the trenches of text, the only salvation I saw amidst the downpour of monotonous dialogue was the white light at the end of the tunnel. Shell shocked laying in the mud, my comrades encouraged me, "Once you pass the common route, eternal joys shall be known to you". But I was too weak, my abdomen still bleeding from one of Lucia Konohana's punches. I closed my eyes and exited, never to continue that journey again. I'm sorry comrades, I let you down...

Thank you for all your suggestions. I already watched Steins;Gate Anime so I probably wouldn't enjoy Visual novel as much.

Maybe wait 10 years later so you can sort of forget what happens and then read the VN.  :sachi: 

Jk, but most people say it's still worth to read the VN even if you watched the anime first.

~~~

I am a casualty to Rewrite's common route. My short lived journey felt so long... I remember crawling through the trenches of text, the only salvation I saw amidst the downpour of monotonous dialogue was the white light at the end of the tunnel. Shell shocked laying in the mud, my comrades encouraged me, "Once you pass the common route, eternal joys shall be known to you". But I was too weak, my abdomen still bleeding from one of Lucia Konohana's punches. I closed my eyes and exited, never to continue that journey again. I'm sorry comrades, I let you down...

RIP