VNs with 'dark' or otherwise twisted and unusual romance?

Vokoca

This is going to be a weirdly specific request, so please bear with me.

After reading quite some romance VNs, I've got a craving for a story that breaks the mold and does something interesting in the genre. I'm looking for something that twists romance on its head - something, for example, where the main character would romance the heroine even though there is clearly something wrong with her, and the like.

The best example I can think of is Saya no Uta. I'd like to read something similar - but it doesn't have to be strictly in the same vein. The heroine doesn't necessarily have to be some kind of a weird monster, could be a yandere or something similar of that sort. The only other example I can think of is Muramasa, although since romance is hardly the focus there, it's pretty far off.

Now, I'm not looking for weird fetishistic nukige. I'm sure there are more than enough BDSM-and-similar titles out there, but that's definitely not what I'm asking for. I'm looking for something with a story, if possible.

I know this is an incredibly specific and vague request, but perhaps someone has read something of this sort?

Gekkou no Carnevale maybe? It has antique doll heroines and besides the romance it has an interesting story. 

I see you also haven't read Kikokugai, you should surely try it then. It's romantic but bittersweet, but it's quite short. Same writer as Saya no Uta too.

No others come to mind right now..

Oh right, Gekkou no Carnevale. I will have to check that out eventually. :) Have you finished the VN already? Also Kikokugai is by Urobuchi? Sounds like I wll need to add that to my list too. :o

Euphoria  :scottsune:

This would be funny if I haven't read that already... :D

Oh right, Gekkou no Carnevale. I will have to check that out eventually. :) Have you finished the VN already? Also Kikokugai is by Urobuchi? Sounds like I wll need to add that to my list too. :o

Yeah, I finished it and loved it, some routes more than others of course. In each route there is a lot of new content and for almost each possible outcome of the story is an ending. If you read an ending and think "oh I would be curious how it went if this and this really happened" then theres probably an ending for that too.

The reason I brought Gekkou no Carnevale up here is because the central theme is the protagonist caring a lot about the main heroine for <spoiler> reasons and everybody keeps asking "why do you care about her because she is <spoiler> it makes no sense, why you like her?"

Urobuchi wrote Kikokugai before Saya no Uta, I looked into it before and left it until I read Saya no Uta and became curious about Kikokugai too. I think one way or another you might find what you're looking for in Kikokugai. 

Saya no Uta is the only VN I can think of that has twisted romance in it. Hmm, does Narcissu count? Maybe True Remembrance might fit the bill, but I'm not really sure if it's what you're looking for though....

The only thing left that I can think of is Gekkou. It's an amazing mystery novel with a twisted romance in it, but that's a light novel, not a VN.

Saya no Uta is the only VN I can think of that has twisted romance in it. Hmm, does Narcissu count? Maybe True Remembrance might fit the bill, but I'm not really sure if it's what you're looking for though....

The only thing left that I can think of is Gekkou. It's an amazing mystery novel with a twisted romance in it, but that's a light novel, not a VN.

I've read Narcissu, not really what I'm looking for here. I'm not really sure what to make of True Remembrance based on the synopsis, but it seems different too - though I will keep it in mind, thanks for the tip. :)

Gekkou does sound very interesting. I'll add it to the list of LNs I need to buy, right beside HakoMari. :D

mugen kairou 1 + 2 perhaps? I read this review which somewhat piqued my interest.

Albeit it might fit within the "BDSM-and-similar titles" you don't want to read. -_- Tho, it doesn't seem to have high amount of sexual content. Anyway, read the review.

This would be funny if I haven't read euphoria already... :D

Oh you~~

mugen kairou 1 + 2 perhaps? I read this review which somewhat piqued my interest.

Albeit it might fit within the "BDSM-and-similar titles" you don't want to read. -_- Tho, it doesn't seem to have high amount of sexual content. Anyway, read the review.

Hm, yeah, BDSM stuff isn't rea--

As both Mugen Kairou's are loop games

WHAT, I'M IN! :D

In all seriousness, as long as it has an interesting story, I don't really care if it is a nukige or not. I mean, I did read euphoria, and I would be lying if I said I din't like it... :D But yeah, loops are like a huge weakness of mine, so I'm adding this to my list no matter how weird and bad it might be.

Devils Devel Concept

Ah, the VN I see Clephas mention every now and then. :D Got any impressions of your own on it?

Ah, the VN I see Clephas mention every now and then. :D Got any impressions of your own on it?

posted my thoughts on clephas' thread on that game. it's pretty unique but takes some patience to read. in regards to your post, the protagonist is devoid of certain human emotions, you'll see how that makes things more interesting. mei's route may be what you're looking for

posted my thoughts on clephas' thread on that game. it's pretty unique but takes some patience to read. in regards to your post, the protagonist is devoid of certain human emotions, you'll see how that makes things more interesting. mei's route may be what you're looking for

Oh, very interesting! I think I'll make this my next VN then, sounds very promising.

Semiramis no Tenbin's Ami path is a good example. 

Mai's and Hiiragi's paths of Akagoei 3.

All the heroine paths of Devils Devel Concept.

Harumade, Kururu

Soukou Akki Muramasa

Ariya's path in Vermilion Bind of Blood

Now that you mention it, those AkaGoei's paths really fit, can't believe I forgot to mention those. They were probably my favourite routes, too. Muramasa was also great, yeah, already mentioned that one. Harumade, Kururu was tempting me for quite some time now - I've unfortunately spoiled myself on that genre shift it has, but I suppose I would've never bothered with it otherwise-- I'm still planning to read that soon. Thanks for those other two routes too, I will keep them in mind for the specific routes. :)

Well, you guys have convinced me, I'm going for Devils Devel Concept as soon as I finish Senshinkan. Thanks for all the tips!

Understand, chuunige tend to have a lot of twisted relationships (though Propeller prefers relationships that are twisted on the surface and mostly normal under).  Kei's path in Dies Irae is rofl-worthy for how twisted their relationship is, for instance...  but once you've tasted Dies Irae, there is no going back.  Also, the Sakuya/brother relationship in Kajiri Kamui Kagura is fairly...psychopathic.

Koisuru Doll to Omoi no Kiseki's main heroine path is seriously screwed up at the end, lol.

Jingai Makyou, all paths have their own screwy stuff to them.  However, I particularly like Kaze no Ushiro ni Ayumu Mono's malice-free statement that she will eat the protagonist once he is satisfied with life.

Satsukoi... for obvious reasons, the two mermaid paths, lol.

Yurikago yori Tenshi Made, the Tae and Ritia paths (nature of angels in this world is seriously screwy).

Eiri's path from Hikoukigumo no Mukougawa (it has a wonderful ending, but the actual formation of the relationship is seriously abnormal).

Gun Knight Girl (the protagonist is annoying because he is a pacifist in the traditional sense, but the loli and true paths are what you want).

Midori no Umi (not going to spoil it, but most of the paths are worthy of consideration for you)

Mugen Renkan (to be honest, I don't really want to recommend this openly, but the story is as twisted, horrifying, and corrupt as you could want)

Gore Screaming Show (use the save file to just play the final heroine's path, lol)

Ojou-sama wa Gokigen Naname (I recommend this mostly because of the seriously screwy relationships between the protagonist, the main heroine, and the main heroine's 'aunt')

Reminiscence Aki's route.

Tojita Sekai no Tori Colony (umm... generally speaking this game is hilarious, but what happens toward the ending reveals some really screwed-up stuff, so I can recommend this hesitantly)

Tsukiakari Lunch (I love the bad endings in this VN)

Unmei Yohou wo Oshirase Shimasu (all the paths have their moments, but the little sister's and blonde loli's path are the most messed up... well them and the true heroine's path)

End Sleep (the loli path)

Secret Game Code:Revise (prequel to Killer Queen, true ending on latest version shows how certain characters ended up in their situations)

Baldr Skydive (I like the interdependence with Rain)

Draculius True Route (mmm... I mostly like this for the weird way the 'family' comes together... not even one 'normal' relationship in the bunch, though it isn't that dark, relationship-wise).

Woah, so many recommendations. After reading Muramasa, which was pretty much my entry-VN into the (untranslated) chuuni genre, I knew this sub-section of VNs was something different entirely. Well, to be fair I probably started with just a very good VN, but I assume there are quite some other titles on that level. Dies Irae definitely looks impressive, and so does KKK - I'll just probably give the light library a rest for a bit after Senshinkan, so I don't read all the good stuff in one go.

The only VN I've played from that list was Reminiscence. I wasn't too impressed by it to be honest, as it felt just like a (good) charage with some nice ideas, some of which weren't that well realised (I kept waiting for the protagonist to show his fabled genius side, but the writer didn't seem to handle that all too well, sadly), though Aki's route was definitely the highlight. With the ending aside, it was definitely the best route... they probably should've made her the main heroine instead of Kizuna in that sense. :D

Definitely saving this post for that huge list, thanks again. I'm just wondering, is Secret Game Code:Revise actually any good? I've tried reading Secret Game (the Killer Queen remake) and had to give up after one episode because it all felt just really flat. Do they improve on that at all?

Latest version of Revise was a complete remake and rewrite, with extra paths and a 'true' end that leads into Killer Queen (or the original Secret Game, if you prefer to play that).  Generally speaking, I preferred Revise.

• 2 weeks later...

where the main character would romance the heroine even though there is clearly something wrong with her, and the like.

Congratulations, you just described Katawa Shoujo.

What I had in mind pretty much has been said already. What about the other Innocent Grey games? Something like Kara no Shoujo? That fit the description?

Hm, Blac Cyc is becoming kind of a recurring theme in this thread. :o I am planning on checking out Mugen Kaisou and Gore Screaming Show at the very least... I'm curious how I'll handle those, not a fan of sadism/masochism, and guro will be a first for me. What are you guys getting me into... :D

Congratulations, you just described Katawa Shoujo.

What I had in mind pretty much has been said already. What about the other Innocent Grey games? Something like Kara no Shoujo? That fit the description?

I didn't really mean handicapped heroines by that. :D I did read Hanako's and Emi's routes at least, not sure how I feel about going through the rest thanks to some real life experience. :P Should finish it up eventually though, it's a pretty good VN, especially for an OELVN.

As for Kara no Shoujo, the romance was hardly the focus there, so it's pretty much out. :)