What is your favorite type of visual novel?

kyrt

Favorite type of visual novel? Choose no more than 2  

107 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite type of visual novel?

This poll is closed to new votes

What is your favorite type of visual novel? Not sure what the various terminology means hopefully this can help.

Charage - The game is defined on character interaction but may not have an overarching plot. It is probably one of the most common types of eroge. The games go into character development, interpersonal relationships, and personal stories for the individual heroines. 

Examples: Hoshizora no Memoria and Yume Miru Kusuri

Moege - Very similar to Charage and sometimes interchangeable, these games are known for a lighthearted story with cute characters and visuals. 

Examples: My Girlfriend is the President and the Da Capo series.

Nakige - A game with the purpose of making the reader cry. These games often have lighthearted and comedic and sometimes heartwarming first halves followed by horribly tragic scenarios in the second half. The purpose is to get the reader to care for the characters and then make them go through emotional scenarios to feel more for the characters.

Examples: Clannad and Katawa Shoujo

Otomege - A game with a female protagonist where the player attempts to develop a relationship with one or more male characters. 

Examples: The Second Reproduction and Hakuoki

Utsuge - The purpose of this type of game is to cause the player to despair or become depressed. Unlike nakige games these games often have bad ends with no happy endings and no hope. 

Examples: Kara no Shoujo

Nukige - A game that focuses primarily on erotic content with little to no plot and the only purpose to get from one sex-scene to the next. 

Examples: Bible Black

SLG - This type of game likes to create aspects of reality and put the player in control. These often include dating and raising simulation games but can also include city/shop building and trade simulations.

Examples: Kamidori Alchemy Meister and Little Witch Romanesque

Gameplay - These games often have some element of gameplay. Most common are rpg and strategy elements but can also include puzzles and card games. 

Examples: Sengoku Rance, Yumina the Ethereal, and 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors

Kinetic - A kinetic visual novel does not present a player with any choices or very few choices that don't actually change the course of the story. These games are linear with no choices, and generally a single ending. 

Examples: Umineko No Naku Koro Ni and Eden*

Chuuni - Story with a lot of fights, superpowers, energy beams, and character/attack names that might have been taken from mythology or western sources because they sound cool. Plot and consistency may not matter as it is the genre where the absurd is normal. 

Other - You a fan of something I didn't mention? 

Meaning!?! - If you had no idea what any of these terms were before this post or if you were unsure about some of them you might want this one.

- Now that the definitions are done what are your favorites? What is it about these types that you particularly like? Is there a visual novel type you simply won't read/play?

I voted Charage, Utsuge, and Kinetic novel. 

A good Charage with interesting characters that are meaningfully developed is always nice. What I like about Utsuges is that they are more honest Nakige's. Whereas nakige's focus on emotionally manipulating the reader, Utsuges are depressing from the start. There is nothing to manipulate if your depressed from the start. I just feel that Utsuges hold a lot of potential for dealing with dark themes.

I voted Kinetic novels because I personally don't like choices in VNs, I only care about the story and characters. When a VN isn't a kinetic novel, I just look up a walk through for it.  

I voted Charage, Utsuge, and Kinetic novel. 

A good Charage with interesting characters that are meaningfully developed is always nice. What I like about Utsuges is that they are more honest Nakige's. Whereas nakige's focus on emotionally manipulating the reader, Utsuges are depressing from the start. There is nothing to manipulate if your depressed from the start. I just feel that Utsuges hold a lot of potential for dealing with dark themes.

I voted Kinetic novels because I personally don't like choices in VNs, I only care about the story and characters. When a VN isn't a kinetic novel, I just look up a walk through for it.  

I went for charage, Utsuge and Nakige. I am impartial to whether or not a vn is kinetic or not but the most memorable vns I read are all those with a very strong emotional impact. (maybe philosphical too) Sure there are good ones for comedy and all but in the end it is the emotional ones that make me think "Wow, That was an amazing ride".

Charage, Moege, and Nakige.

I was for introduced to visual novels through Nakige first (Little Busters and other Key games), and those tend to rank pretty high up on my list of favorites. I like having an emotional connection to the characters, so I'm big on character development, which is why I also voted for Charage. However, sometimes I just want some light-hearted fluff (can never get enough of them warms and fuzzies), hence the Moege. My tastes tend to veer towards light-hearted comedy and romance, with a bit of drama and tension mixed in for good measure.

I like having closure and don't want to feel despair or depression after playing a visual novel, so Utsuge would be on the complete opposite end on the types of visual novels that I'd play.

what category does "for busy people" series go? (eosd for busy people, pcb for busy people etc....)

i voted to the ones that i readed fitted to that category, i dont like "rape" games

also can someone give me a link of vn that has a gameplay..

thanks and sory for my bad english

I don't remember seeing laser beams, giant attacks, ultra things, lots of fights, superweapons...etc in Steins;Gate, but since it's in the Chunni section, i choose Chunni section.

(Seriously, did i failed to see the lots of fights and laser beams in S;G?)

I just want to point out that according to ja wiki has a different definition of Charage

Character game is a VN that's a spinoff of stories from other established mediums, like say the AoT VN from Annie's POV. (Or things like Pacman)

And I voted by that definition.

The definition of Charage you use is really just divided between the other genres as appropriate.

I don't remember seeing laser beams, giant attacks, ultra things, lots of fights, superweapons...etc in Steins;Gate, but since it's in the Chunni section, i choose Chunni section.

(Seriously, did i failed to see the lots of fights and laser beams in S;G?)

Technically I've seen it labeled as such because it has a chuuni protagonist. I did look around and that did seem to be a common example that was used. I'm not completely sure it fits since in Steins;Gate since the protagonist character was a chuunibyou for comedic reasons more than serious ones but I figured it was close enough.