VN Openings: Good or Bad?

kyrt

As others have said before. It depends on the opening if it's bad or not. But they ain't really naturally bad or good haha. I prefer it to be at the boot up of the game. Then I come more into the mood as I start the vn. Ahhh, that's the feeling. That's the experience I get from a good vn op. Otherwise I just skip it lol.

Because the prologue gets you all nice and ready to delve into it then this highly upbeat op starts ruining the mood

If the OP ruins the mood, then it is a bad OP. I actually prefer OPs placed after some sort of a prologue, no matter ho long it might be. It can serve like a nice marking point to let you know that the real story is starting, so to speak, showing you a bit of a preview of what's to come.

Most of the time I'm neutral with the OPs. They are necessary though to provide us a summary and to introduce us to the story but usually it does not make me excited. The only thing that annoys me with OPs is that some VNs doesn't allow to skip the OP when you find them atrocious or already saw them multiple times.

I just realized I did not actually post my own opinion. 

I am of a divided mind, on one hand I like visual novel openings because of the artistic qualities (music, art, and basically a trailer) as well as they give you a hint at what you are getting into. On the other sometimes knowing too much can be a bit problematic. Say you watch a visual novel opening for me this could potentially (purposefully or not) help determine the route I go with and the choices that I might make. This basically is a fault with myself as I constantly am over thinking things and sometimes it's a wonder how I play these games at all with how indecisive I am. Does this hurt anything, not at all. The opening my spoil something especially if a character is bleeding out or a supposedly normal visual novel now has a scene in space or with some sort of fantastical creature. A visual novel opening can and quite often do spoil things that you might not have known was coming by picking it up blind. This is unlikely with most people these days; hell does anyone actually go into a visual novel blind? The majority of people probably look up ratings, reviews, read the description, view trailers or openings and as such don't actually go into it completely spoil free anyway. So I don't mind them so long as they don't give away anything not in a product description. If they manage to basically show what the product description says then it works as a good summary to introduce one into a story. The opening can also ruin the mood of a visual novel quite easily; I don't want a dark and foreboding beginning of a visual novel to be bright and cheery while people are being killed in the images. Basically the music and the art have to mesh well together as well as not disrupt the mood of the visual novel itself.

I would however also say that I cannot stand visual novel openings that are not able to be skipped. You should have the option to view the opening if you want it shouldn't be forced on you. The visual novel openings that do not give you the option to skip them those are unnecessary and annoying. I also have not to my recollection ever seen a visual novel opening that tells us information that we will not end up reading. If a visual novel had a cinematic opening I think that would be completely different as it would not be showing future events of the visual novel. I will often watch the openings but I think the option to skip it should be available as well since they don't actually add anything to the story.