VN Openings: Good or Bad?

kyrt

After sifting through the favorite vn openings thread a thought came to me. Do people like visual novel openings or do they find them unnecessary and annoying. Some visual novels have the opening right at the beginning of the game upon start up these can usually be skipped but what about visual novels that have the opening appear automatically right after the prologue. Do you skip this or do you watch it?

Do you think vn openings can actually worsen a reading experience by spoiling things or putting ideas in your head based on the vn opening? How much does an opening actually effect the way you go forward in the visual novel. Do visual novel openings serve a purpose beyond just previewing the routes in the game? Has there ever been a visual novel opening that purposely ended up misleading you? 

Basically do you like visual novel openings or do you think they are bad or unnecessary? Explain.

Openings are cool.

I mean, they fulfill the role of an opening: be a visual trailer for what's to come. If it's well made it's always cool to watch and can hype you up.

For example, let's imagine you do a VN about giant robots and the epic struggle of humanity against extinction. You are culturally obliged to call JAM Project and make them do an opening for you.

I still get shivers every time I watch this.

Did anyone not see it coming?

Most of the time I find the opening after the prologue abrupt, it takes me out of the story right after it has managed to hook me in. I usually sit through the opening a couple of times in order to make an appropriate judgment on whether I like it or not, after that I usually skip it if I've added it to my collection. Openings are a good way of cementing the tone if introduced after the prologue and also of providing a glimpse of what character I might choose for my initial route.

Openings are cool.

I mean, they fulfill the role of an opening: be a visual trailer for what's to come. If it's well made it's always cool to watch and can hype you up.

For example, let's imagine you do a VN about giant robots and the epic struggle of humanity against extinction. You are culturally obliged to call JAM Project and make them do an opening for you.

that op still gives stuff from way later away in the VN

I hate openings, most of the time they spoil away plot stuff...

Openings are cool.

This opening is the perfect example, look at it, they are even showing you the ending of the novel!!! (

when meiya is being killed by the BETA)

For me, i love VN openings and consider them a plus.

The spoiler thing doesn't affect me because I usually completely forget which CGs appeared and for which heroine since I don't even know who the hell everybody is at that point.

Then after finishing the VN it's fun to play the opening again and reminisce.

For me, i love VN openings and consider them a plus.

The spoiler thing doesn't affect me because I usually completely forget which CGs appeared and for which heroine since I don't even know who the hell everybody is at that point.

Then after finishing the VN it's fun to play the opening again and reminisce.

Um lucky you try having a photographic memory T_T There are things I some times wish I didnt see

I like them a lot. I don't really see a lot of really direct spoilers in openings, mostly just scenes that you know are spoilers after the finish the game, but seeing it for the first time doesn't mean anything to you. Also I really, really, really love when VNs have an animated opening.

A good opening shows you what to expect from the the story, and gets you hyped about it. 

I love Swan Songs opening because it deepens and intensifies as it goes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENwrNUGYb-c

At first the music and the images are kind of relaxed, then they get unsettling, and then it gets disturbing. Exatly what you should expect from the story as well.

So yes, I love a good opening.