Tomb Raider

InvertMouse

I've been playing the new Tomb Raider game. Just wondering if anyone else has been as well. I've heard many people are having issues on the PC. That's unfortunate. It's running fine so far for me, and I'm on a pretty dated duo core. There are plenty of fire and water effects going on, and for my machine to be able to handle those, I think they did a great job. Far Cry 3, on the other hand, struggled to run on my PC.

This game has plenty of quick time events. I'm interested to know what you guys think of those in general. For all those quick time events in Tomb Raider, if they were just cutscenes that required no button spamming from me, I think their value would've just been the same.

Then there's the upgrade system. You collect salvages to upgrade your weapons. I've been thinking hard about which one to pick. Then, last night, I found out that by the game's end, you'll have enough salvage to upgrade everything. In that case, I may as well just go down the list one by one without any thought. Of course, getting one before another might help, but still. In games like Dead Space, your upgrade points are really limited, so your decisions feel like they matter. In Tomb Raider's case, the decisions feel almost artificial. Would love to hear some opinions on this, too.

New tomb raider might as well been renamed Uncharted With Boobs. Barely feels like any of the old ones.

i think that was the point, one of the reviews they did forever ago with game informer said they wanted it to feel completely different from the rest of the series.

Ryoji, yeah, it's very much a guided experience, but it has been fun so far :).

Wahfuu, I haven't played Uncharted so I'm not sure XD~ In fact, I've never finished the older Tomb Raider titles so I don't know how much has changed. There's nothing groundbreaking about this new title but it is fundamentally sound.

Yes! I've been sick this week, and Tomb Raider has been a faithful companion : ). Great game -- really amazing graphics. I feel like this is the first time the character of Lara has been fleshed out in a meaningful way, and that sort of story building makes all the difference for me. Also, the optional tombs (which hearken back to older games) are fabulous.

What are you enjoying about it?

Well, Tay, before anything else, I hope you'll get well soon!

Hm, what do I like about it~ The optional tombs are indeed nice. Each item has its own story, model and voiceover. I appreciate that effort. It gives me incentive to actually find them all.

The combat is fun considering it's your standard current generation action title. Those torch throwers force you to move, so you don't just duck in and out of cover. In some situations, you get to study the area before engaging your foes. That's great, too. Really makes you feel like your decisions matter.

Last, the platforming is forgiving, which I appreciate. If you reach for a ledge, Lara will glue herself toward that direction. It helps avoid a lot of frustration present in 3D platformers. Again, nothing new about it, but everything is done well :).

Well, Tay, before anything else, I hope you'll get well soon!

Hm, what do I like about it~ The optional tombs are indeed nice. Each item has its own story, model and voiceover. I appreciate that effort. It gives me incentive to actually find them all.

The combat is fun considering it's your standard current generation action title. Those torch throwers force you to move, so you don't just duck in and out of cover. In some situations, you get to study the area before engaging your foes. That's great, too. Really makes you feel like your decisions matter.

Last, the platforming is forgiving, which I appreciate. If you reach for a ledge, Lara will glue herself toward that direction. It helps avoid a lot of frustration present in 3D platformers. Again, nothing new about it, but everything is done well smile.gif.

Wow, well said. I'm probably ~halfway done, and I'm encouraged by the fact that I'm still interested/engaged, and rooting for Lara.

breasticles are both fleshy and meaningful. i don't believe we're playing the same games.

Oh, dear. Yes, it would seem I truly did pick the worst words for that thought. Totally deserved that one ; )