Sharin no Kuni discussion

Roach

houzukis route in the fd was definitly a good xtra to the whole plot, felt little more sympathy towards him after that, but rest of the routes.... dunno. it took me great efforts to overcome myself to finish especially toukas route in the fd where 90% was all about what to to cook today and who ate my chocolate

houzukis route in the fd was definitly a good xtra to the whole plot, felt little more sympathy towards him after that, but rest of the routes.... dunno. it took me great efforts to overcome myself to finish especially toukas route in the fd where 90% was all about what to to cook today and who ate my chocolate

Dude...it's so not worth it.  It's just fanservice or fluff, and the machine TL is so off-putting I'm surprised anyone managed to read the other routes at all.  Houzuki's route is really the only thing worth reading in the fandisc.

That said, after reading his route, the plot of Sharin just felt complete.  It explains so much about Houzuki, from his personality and disposition to his motivation.  You can't get a good understanding of him without reading his route.

The Eri Nagumo's story wasn't bad at all just a bit short, but i agree the other ones were really bad, just you fucking everything...no plot no meaning whatsoever, just pure fan service. I was hoping to see a little more about sepai's background story, that character was really interesting..

he even saves natsumi from being rape one time!

!!

Touka is best girl.

Sharin gets 8/10 from me. The best thing about Sharin no Kuni is Kenichi Morita. He's on the same league as Grisaia's Yuuji. Strong and dependable protags.

The biggest difference is that Morita is M while Yuuji is S.

Another good thing about this VN is that even when you're entering a certain heroine's route, other heroine's do not just fade out. I really appreciate that. As for BGM, it's not good as a set but some certain soundtracks are excellent like Hikari no Saki, Watch out! and the mentioned Mallow. Mallow is one of the best things I have heard.

What I only find awkward about the whole thing (including fandisk) is that 

Morita had to rehabilitate 3, while Houzuki and Morita's father (working together) only had to do 1.

Yes, I know, it's because of the plot. Not that I find it wrong, it's just it made me feel awkward.

Touka is best girl

Touka is best girl.

Sharin gets 8/10 from me. The best thing about Sharin no Kuni is Kenichi Morita. He's on the same league as Grisaia's Yuuji. Strong and dependable protags.

The biggest difference is that Morita is M while Yuuji is S.

Another good thing about this VN is that even when you're entering a certain heroine's route, other heroine's do not just fade out. I really appreciate that. As for BGM, it's not good as a set but some certain soundtracks are excellent like Hikari no Saki, Watch out! and the mentioned Mallow. Mallow is one of the best things I have heard.

What I only find awkward about the whole thing (including fandisk) is that 

Morita had to rehabilitate 3, while Houzuki and Morita's father (working together) only had to do 1.

Yes, I know, it's because of the plot. Not that I find it wrong, it's just it made me feel awkward.

Touka is best girl

The number of people you need to rehabilitate or what you need to do in the first place to become a special high class individuals depends only in the instructor/supervisor, the number wasn't the issue but the people itself with Kenichi (all of them childhood friends,

except touka but she did have a relation with his sister

)

As for Akutsu

it was only one because Arii Masaomi knew what kind of girl she was and how she was going to affect Akutsu in the first place, for example as for Saburou the test was to give up after those years in prison (he really didnt give up as you may know for the events that happened when kenichi was young)

Touka is great but I still think that Sachi was the best heroine :P

The number of people you need to rehabilitate or what you need to do in the first place to become a special high class individuals depends only in the instructor/supervisor, the number wasn't the issue but the people itself with Kenichi (all of them childhood friends, except touka but she did had a relation with his sister)

As for Akutsu it was only one because Arii Masaomi knew what kind of girl she was and how she was going to affect Akutsu in the first place, for example as for Saburou the test was to give up after those years in prison (he really didnt give up as you may know for the events that happened when kenichi was young)

Like i said, not that i find it wrong. Number of people to rehab does not actually matter and I'm actually aware of that. I just said that it bothered me. :lol:

I would have been happier if Ririko's appearance kind of matured/changed on her second appearance -_-

Like i said, not that i find it wrong. Number of people to rehab does not actually matter and I'm actually aware of that. I just said that it bothered me. :lol:

I would have been happier if Ririko's appearance kind of matured/changed on her second appearance -_-

One may think that after spending many years without talking with anyone and being ignored like a death person would change her but still her character was really good, and she did teach touka the "Korosu" aka "I'll kill you" phrase

:P

Sharin no kuni is one of my favorite vn's. The biggest flaw imo was that it feels like it gets more stale and the progression feels slow after a while. The characters are still interesting, the environment and stuff hasn't really changed. It just kind starts to feel same'ish. The vn is helped by having such a damn awesome protag such as Kenichi. He is a beast.

The theme with how obligations is that way they current criminals was interesting. It does bring the interesting parallel with real life. Giving power to the special high class individuals creates corruption and overly powerful individuals as in all societies that is governed by people of high power. The way how many of the heroines were really just normal people inside. They were all warped in some way like normal people. Difference in this story is that they served obligations because of that. They had to fix it or get deemed criminals of the state. Because they didn't do as hard as they could. Or because they couldn't think for themselves.

These are all faults we all have to some degree. They might cause some to do harm to others or crime.. In sharin those people get obligations to correct their behavior. But the system is broken indeed...

• 1 year later...

Sorry I'm necro-ing this topic, but it doesn't seem that there's another thread for Sharin no Kuni.. Anyway, I finished it the first time today with Touka's ending and it was great. Really amazing story overall and I love the characters (even Houzuki :P).

Had a few questions though.. what illness is Natsumi talking about in the beginning of the game?

Spoiler

I assume she is talking about Ririko, since that scene was shown when they were explaining how Ririko was actually by Kenichi's side most of the game.. but what exactly is the illness she is referring to? The tattoo of the Maximum Penalty? Or did she think Ririko was a mute?

Also, I was wondering about the sci-fi novels Kenichi and the other characters in the game keep bringing up. Are they really sci-fi novels from our world or are they history textbooks? And are they about our world, as in, the reader's world, and not the in-game world? I mean, even Houzuki reads them apparently, and I'm not sure why some sci-fi novels would really be this important. Is there some deeper meaning behind them?

On 12/31/2014 at 5:36 AM, bluethunder91 said:

It was foreshadowing for the fact that

Hidden Content

Spoiler

The whole sister thing shadowing him was perhaps the silliest thing in this otherwise fantastic vn. 

Natsumi takes the best girl trophy for me. It was sad to see how she was when she was young and how she is at present and pretty touching when she started realizing you are truly back. Loved the route.

Edited by Zenophilious
Spoilers >.<

• 1 month later...

WORST VN I'VE EVER READ.

Yeah I said it. It's even worse than Hoshimemo (which I gave 4.8/10).

But why? What s this delusional madman talking about? Sharin is so good, isn't it? Well... t is no. Like hell it's not. Almost everything with this title is wrong.

But let's start with the good things. SPOILERS EVERYWHERE, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. LIKE SERIOUSLY.

- Music. Really good, long soundtrack, few track are really awesome. I love 'clapping' in Extras Menu BGM, I love tension of other songs, and bright and happy ones weren't annoying.
- Sepia. Man, he was awesome! He was intelligent, logical, good written know-it-all, his actions have motive and meaning, and his randomness made him also very funny. Best character in the game, hands down.
- Mana BEST GIRL. I know she wasn't heroine, but she was just great! Cute in good way, not annoying at all, intelligent, chlidlishly-naive, very good written kid. I really cared for her. As myself, but I was happy that Ken was able to sacriface her for the sake of canceling Sachis' obligation. That was good.
- Ririko twist premonitions. They were really good. All those fairies, panties in metal case, leaving food, etc. Clever. And I didn't saw that coming.
- Pops. I loved how intelligent he was, how manipulative he was in Mana and Toukas chapter endings. 
- It was easy reading. Somehow it was just flowing.

That's...all? Not much, huh? But enough to give this VN whole 4.6

Now for the bad things. Or not, I would just go through whole VN.

Start, interesting begining, protag gave nice impression, I liked the idea of all those obligations system, etc. Common route was also prety funny with all those randomnees from Sepia, and overall mood. But I have to take Natsumi out of thi equation, she was (justifable) mood killer. I didn't liked her, and her sprite, which looked like a Mummin idn't helped at all. I just can't stand all those unsociable characters. I just don't care, so I awoid them, but protags HAD to intereact with her, so it was little painfull for me. But oh well, it's not that bad right?

Sachi chapter. It was nice at the begining, but non logicall explanation of her obligation (she has to learnhow to work, so we jut take her time from her, so she can't work, and thus can't cancel her obligation).
And what was their problem? She was living just fine form al lthose gambling, etc. I know she didn't payed her bills for gas, but she amnaged. So whats wrong with living without a 'proper job', working (as VN said - average) 9 hours per day? And also - 'she has so much fun from making money ,thats so wrong, I have to chenge her' bullshit. Jesus Christ earning money through doing thing one person like/love is a life goal! But no, you can't have any fun, working must be a hard labor, becaus reasons. I hate al lthose 'collective society' bullshit. And it wasn't like Ken saw that and said that this society must change. He literally thought that he must change Sachi, because she can't have fun from working. So, yeah I was pretty angered.
Then was a nice scene in a cave, which ended with a lot of bullshit with this whole rock breaking. And how exactly he managed to take her out of there on his own? But okay, at this point I knew that logic is not a strong point of this VN. (I miss Steins;Gate, where almost everything made sense...)
And then his whole painting bullshit. I could understand why this could lead to end her obligation. But what was she doing? First she decided to LET MANA BE SOLD, and from diamond money she wanted to buy her obligation. But 30 seconds later it suddenly, without a reason, taked a 180 degree spin, and now she is a loving sister, who will work for Manas sake. Oh no you bitch, you came to Pops with money to buy your obligation. But...everybody suddeny forget about that. The what? How? How can you trust her now? How can anybody see this as good writing, that she is now really loving her imouto, when she was just a while ago agreeing to SOLD HER to strange people. Yeah, right, great writting VN, once again - logic is beaten to bleed.
But okay, price was risen, so out of nowhere we find that Ken is a rich man (yeah, right, speaking of overpowered, unbelievable characters... he also ended university, and is at final exam for this supervisor, while being in Sachi, Natsume, Isono and Touka age.)and he will buy the painting. And she is slacking off. ust how, why, this is sooo stupid. Sachi is such a dumb bitch, and she relly don;t care for her sister. She proved that. I don't believe in any teary scene with them never again. Then Ken put his foot down, which was good, and she finally started working. Well, a little too late dumb bitch. 
Then sudden fever, because why not, and ending of this chapter, where Pops show his true manipulative awesomness. Painting was bad, Ken didn't bough this, Mana was cryign, Sachi was sheding her fake tears of horrible person, Mana was sold. Great, I liked that. Her obligation cancelled, onto next route.

But no. Now we have a short retrospection of Ken and her sister. OMG, how painfull it was. Ririko is a bitch. I'm started to wondering (at this point in VN) is there any good character. But those scenes whe she was treating her brother like shit, and he was believing in everything she was saying were just bad. And that had to convice me why he love her so much? Oh hell no. Another locicall messup.

Oone Touka chapter. Damn I have no time to write now. I will write rest of this post (and edit what's above) later. Feel free to argue. ;)

I agree with Vorathiel that this work is horribly overrated.

Yeah, Sachi's route is pretty mediocre, and Mana integrates badly with the whole of it, but... dem tits!! Just joking, it was pretty meh, and made me stay away from reading the VN for a while.

I have currently cleared up Sachi and most of Touka, and have Natsumi left. But I'm pretty much expecting that the whole story behind the characters (i. e. what happened in the past) won't save it. Medium tier novel.

1 hour ago, Vorathiel said:

And what was their problem? She was living just fine form al lthose gambling, etc. I know she didn't payed her bills for gas, but she amnaged. So whats wrong with living without a 'proper job', working (as VN said - average) 9 hours per day? And also - 'she has so much fun from making money ,thats so wrong,

This is basically an extremely meritocratic society where incapable people will be put into concentration camps.

On 29.12.2014 at 6:08 AM, Deep Blue said:

Touka is great but I still think that Sachi was the best heroine :P

Sachi is the only route I liked and which looked natural. And she is great as a person. Maybe too loud, but that's part of her charm. Lazy and illogical sometimes, but in the end she can overcome herself and pull herself up. That's so rarely happen in real life, and it really need even more efforts than it shown in VN. So I do not know how anyone could complain about this being stupid, you seems live in a paradise, if you never saw such problems. That was awesome route with great characters. Sadly cannot tell this about the rest...

26 minutes ago, Okarin said:

It's not the problems themselves which are stupid, it's the way they're addressed. Much as in Yume Miru Kusuri. Supposedly a game about very serious stuff and H scenes every 5 minutes. That just isn't consistent.

If speak about whole game - probably yes, especially in Touka route. If speak about this particular route - I think they were addressed just right. Means, they need a way to make Sachi stop lazing around and they used all leverages they had.to do that. And Sachi got her portion of despair as well - in the cave, and in the end of the route, twice. Want her to suffer more?

Sachi was a mess, but in truth she alternates being a mess of a person and being a good sister. For the majority of her route she was okay with Mana departing to... slavery, pretty much. It's not that being a piece of trash makes sense -it's that her full-blown transformation is not very convincing. Still, with all the twists and the ups and downs, it's hard to empathize with her. It's not a bad idea per se, it's just inconsistent writing.

I agree with Scorp that Sachi's route was the best one.
Yeah at a point she did agree to Mana being sent off to slavery but that was an impulsive statement due her giving in her angry. Nearly everyone has at some point in their life gotten angry and given such comments which they actually wouldn't want to happen.

And as for the rant that Vorathiel posted, I have to point that he has mistaken something in Sachi's obligation.
Sachi did earn money at the start but then there was a period when she made a lot of losses and fell in a lot of debt. At that time the state took care of the debt and imposed the obligation on Sachi. What they wanted to do was that show Sachi that time is important and should be utilised effectively and not be spent idling and gambling.
Well obviously the obligation is not sensible by any means, which is actually what the whole vn is about ......... how the state interferes in a person's life behaving like they everything.