The GD Overhaul

Good morning/afternoon/evening comrades,

Today is a day long alluded to and which has been the subject of much prophecy. I speak, of course, about the great General Discussion board overhaul. I've spoken at length (literally. We're talking huge... ... tracts of land walls of text) about why I feel the GD and G&C boards need to be overhauled. I'll list the key reasons down below. Point being: it's time to finally get this done and over with.

I will start with the tldr version of the changes. Further down I'll give you the Tay version of the changes (Directors Cut! Now with %several-thousands more content!). 

Two important definitions (because that’s just how I roll) (sorry.):

• Chatter: Spam (joke or filler) or fluff (meaningless). Note: the word “chatter” does not mean “garbage”. I don’t use that word as a pejorative, and I ask that others try not to, too.
  • Discussion: Does not refer to the # of replies, but rather to the quality of the exchange of ideas and opinions in a particular topic (note: not the quality of the ideas themselves – this isn’t though police – but rather the word “discussion” as used below means actual dialogue without too much chatter and derailing)

What is Changing?
  1. - The Games & Chatter board is being dissolved and the General Discussion board is being re-tooled. Posts active in 2014 will be filtered to new homes as described below. Posts with activity older than 2014 will remain in the GD board
  2. - The “General Discussion” board: is being re-tooled for topical discussion that doesn’t fall into the other boards
  3. - A new board, the “Lounge” is opening up: meant for more relaxing discussion, getting to know each other, having fun, etc., without excess chatter. Posts will be included in your post count. Personal topics, games which require effort, contests, and relaxed discussion are the idea, with the goal being getting to know each other and making some friends
  4. - A new board, the “Coliseum of Chatter” (“Coliseum”) is opening up to encompass chattery posts (see guidelines below). 
  5. - The Coliseum of Chatter has a meta-game presided over by a secret group: the Bloody Senators. More information coming in a separate post.
  6. - VERY IMPORTANT: Posts which qualify as General Discussion WILL BE MOVED TO THE “GENERAL DISCUSSION (LIMBO)” BOARD. This is temporary so that mods aren’t repeatedly going over the same threads which should be staying in GD. This’ll be a pain for some of you. Much apologies, but hopefully it’ll be over quick.

When is this going down?
  • It will open today and go until the work is done. It may take a few days (nobody expected to work on Christmas eve/day), but I hope to get it done in a decent timetable 

What sorts of posts will go into the GD board?
  • Has a topic
  • Topic isn’t chatter-y
  • Discussion not too derailed
  • Isn’t a “stuff” (ex: rice) thread (those go in coliseum)
  • Isn’t a game (chattery games with fast repost and little work go into coliseum; games that require effort can go into lounge)
  • Isn’t a joke thread (jokes about an event, outright joke, inside jokes. These go in coliseum)

What sorts of posts will go into the Lounge?
  • Needs a topic insofar as it just needs meaningful discussion
  • Groups/Clubs which are non-superficial
  • Personal topics (get to know you-esque, share personal information, share likes/dislikes)
  • Posts about oneself (unless chattery)
  • Contests
  • Joke threads (Can stay up to a day, depending on hilarity and the whims of mods) (gotta be pretty dang hilarious, tho, to stay that long)

What sorts of posts will go into the Coliseum?
  • Games that don’t require a lot of effort (high post rate, low effort)
  • Jokes (super inside jokes, outright jokes)
  • Threads which have been derailed into oblivion
  • Random chat topics: any topic that has no particular topic or its topic is to talk about a random thing that is not really a topic
  • Spam (joke or filler) or fluff posts
  • Threads about stuff. Like, literally stuff. (*cough* rice *cough*)
  • Topics with very specific weak topic: any topic that focuses on a very specific single instance or very specific single incident
  • Superficial groups or clubs
  • Note: Non-superficial groups can still be made in the coliseum or request to be moved there (why would you want to do that? Well, because in the minigame groups/clubs/guilds can fight (and kill) other groups/clubs/guilds)

Lots of info, so please don’t hesitate to ask any questions or offer feedback.

Yeah, the jargon is 100% my fault if it's confusing : P. I tried to include "chatter" to explain what kinds of posts go in there. But, yeah, having "Coliseum" and its themed sub-boards does stand out from the rest of the forums.

If it's a mistake, it's easily corrected. Simple as choosing a new name : ).

EDIT: PS: Once the initial wave of post-moving is finished, I'll finalize and post a concise guide to all the changes, explaining what types of posts go where. Hopefully that'll help. This thread has a little more detail than the everyman needs, methinks.

Holy section batman! That's a lot of sections we have now. I don't really have problem with that if someone wondered (noone? ha! fine..)

You might want to think about how get these rules out. Because I can see people posting all over the place with all these small rules. Luckily we got the great mods to move stuff if needed. Might as well just wait and see if there becomes a lot of posts everywhere development. I doubt that btw. Just a minor concern.

Good point, Bolverk. I've got a post 90% finished which will hopefully explain all the changes (and suggestions for where to post) in an easy-to-read format. I hope to post it once the initial move is done.

What do you guys think of moving Lounge to the Fuwanovel Community section?

With Fuwanovel Community section having an Introduce Yourself forum as a "Get to introduce yourself/meet new people!" kind of thing I think the Lounge's "The place for locals to relax and congregate. Get to know each other and have some fun!" will compliment it nicely.

With Fuwanovel Community section having an Introduce Yourself forum as a "Get to introduce yourself/meet new people!" kind of thing I think the Lounge's "The place for locals to relax and congregate. Get to know each other and have some fun!" will compliment it nicely.

My brain's a little fried, so I'm not really able to parse this one out tonight. That said, I'm not opposed to the idea, and I'm curious to know who else feels the same way.

My brain's a little fried, so I'm not really able to parse this one out tonight. That said, I'm not opposed to the idea, and I'm curious to know who else feels the same way.

I totally agree with this. I made the same suggestion in the secret police HQ.

If I were to point out a valid reason it'd be this one :P

...that's actually a big reason why I suggested this, but earlier some peeps were like "oh you'll get used to Other Discussion being so cluttered" so I came up with that other reason I used above. xD

But yeah both sections are fine~ 

(Move Lounge to Fuwanovel Community!!!@#)

Edited by Eclipsed

Haha Werent we trying to reduce the clutter

:shrug:

Perhaps xD

The thing is, Games & Chatter which used to house *all* clutter has essentially been separated into Lounge and The Coliseum of Chatter(plus its subforums) to house *specific types* of clutter

So I'd say the Other Discussion revamp was more for organizing clutter rather than reducing it.

I disagree with moving the Lounge personally.  When looking at all the topics in it, it seems to belong better in general discussion, at least in my opinion.  Just evening out the forums doesn't seem like a valid reason.  I think some members will get confused about where to create topics as well. 

Alright, my final attempt at persuasion before I admit defeat xD.

We all know Fuwanovel Community's "The place for all things Fuwanovel" is the vaguest thing ever.

My goal is to have clear definitions for it:

• "Work" aspect of Fuwanovel: Community Hub, Improvements Board <- Tay already mentioned plans for this (3rd paragraph).
  • "Social" aspect of Fuwanovel: Introduce Yourself, Lounge <-  Tay did NOT mention this; this is what I would like everybody to consider​. It wouldn't really be "Fuwanovel Community" if you don't have a social aspect, right?

If you guys disagree that Fuwanovel Community should have a "social" aspect, then I lose xD.

If you do agree, read on as to why I feel the Lounge would thus be a valuable addition to supplement this social aspect:

~~~

The Lounge is currently defined as: "The place for locals to relax and congregate. Get to know each other and have some fun". More specifically:

• (Tay) "Lounge- this forum is meant to get to know each other, or relax, or have some fun, and it's not meant to be chatter-y."
  • (Rooke) "The lounge is a forum dedicated to getting to know each other in a friendly environment because Fuwa likes to emphasise friendships."

2.  Adding to this, Rooke had this to say regarding a philosophy of Tay's:

The lounge has been separated on Fuwanovel partly due to the emphasis Fuwa places on building friendships. Tay likes to talk about it constantly and thus it probably deserves it's own special place.

TL;DR  
  • I understand that Lounge in all technicalities is valid for Other discussion.
  • But wouldn't it be nice to have the Fuwanovel Community section be the 'special place' that Tay envisioned to emphasize friendships among members of the community (via the Lounge as it is defined above) rather than, say, Other Discussion?

TL;DR #2: I'm trying to give Fuwanovel Community section a purpose (the social aspect). When you go to a Community, there's gotta be a Lounge for you to hangout right?!

TL;DR #3: I'm annoying you guys aren't I :P

Alright, my final attempt at persuasion before I admit defeat xD.

We all know Fuwanovel Community's "The place for all things Fuwanovel" is the vaguest thing ever.

My goal is to have clear definitions for it:

• "Work" aspect of Fuwanovel: Community Hub, Improvements Board <- Tay already mentioned plans for this (3rd paragraph).
  • "Social" aspect of Fuwanovel: Introduce Yourself, Lounge <-  Tay did NOT mention this; this is what I would like everybody to consider​. It wouldn't really be "Fuwanovel Community" if you don't have a social aspect, right?

If you guys disagree that Fuwanovel Community should have a "social" aspect, then I lose xD.

If you do agree, read on as to why I feel the Lounge would thus be a valuable addition to supplement this social aspect:

~~~

The Lounge is currently defined as: "The place for locals to relax and congregate. Get to know each other and have some fun". More specifically:

• (Tay) "Lounge- this forum is meant to get to know each other, or relax, or have some fun, and it's not meant to be chatter-y."
  • (Rooke) "The lounge is a forum dedicated to getting to know each other in a friendly environment because Fuwa likes to emphasise friendships."

2.  Adding to this, Rooke had this to say regarding a philosophy of Tay's:

TL;DR  

• I understand that Lounge in all technicalities is valid for Other discussion.
  • But wouldn't it be nice to have the Fuwanovel Community section be the 'special place' that Tay envisioned to emphasize friendships among members of the community (via the Lounge as it is defined above) rather than, say, Other Discussion?

TL;DR #2: I'm trying to give Fuwanovel Community section a purpose (the social aspect). When you go to a Community, there's gotta be a Lounge for you to hangout right?!

TL;DR #3: I'm annoying you guys aren't I :P

I'm too busy with Visual Novels for Fuwanovel. It sucks. 

Actually, it might've just been Christmas' fault... Nevermind that, I'm here to share my opinion.

I totally agree with what you have said.

Lets look at what each thread contains, and what Tay's definitions say they should contain.

What sorts of posts will go into the Lounge?
  • Needs a topic insofar as it just needs meaningful discussion
  • Groups/Clubs which are non-superficial
  • Personal topics (get to know you-esque, share personal information, share likes/dislikes)
  • Posts about oneself (unless chattery)
  • Contests
  • Joke threads (Can stay up to a day, depending on hilarity and the whims of mods) (gotta be pretty dang hilarious, tho, to stay that long)

----

The important bit here is the "contests". For what the Lounge is, I totally agree contest should go there. Now, look at the Community Hub:

• Birthday Thread - Sounds like lounge material to me.
  • Sakura Spirit giveaway "contest" in name only - It's a contest, so Lounge, right?
  • Ren's countless giveaways, contests and messages - Lounge indeed. Topics about oneself, Contests, groups and clubs.
  • A member telling the story of his absence - Personal topic, topic about oneself.

And so on. In fact, it might be easier if we look at what should be in the Community Hub.

• Fuwareviews
  • Announcements pertaining the Forum, the Website, the Fuwanovel twitter, the Fuwanovel Facebook, the Fuwanovel Gazette
  • Essentially, official Fuwa-shenanigans.

And these are just the more clear-cut stuff.

Free Fuwa Membership Cards - An effort by a member to do stuff for the community. Similar threads like "Signatures" threads are also located Lounge. How community Hub is it? How Lounge is it?

Quote/spoiler broken? - An issue with the website/forum. We don't actually have any board to post this kind of stuff, so we either make one or keep these issues in the Community Hub. Or something else. Either way, it isn't clearly defined.

Most of the stuff I pointed out was created before the Lounge existed. So, does this warrant moving, or does the Community Hub and Lounge definitions need more details/redefinitions?