What Anime are you watching now?

Ryoji

Only at the beginning. Have you tried getting the game first? Like all other adaptations from a game, you should treat the anime as a last resort.

Listen to this man, as Tales of the Abyss is my all time favorite game I can speak that while anime isn't bad, it can't compare.

But... the main character being annoying at the start isn't a flaw, it's supposed to be that way. Things get better, trust me.

Hoho I didn't know there is a game... Is it translated?

It's a fully translated JRPG on PS2. If you don't have the console you can play via emulator. I strongly implore you to play instead, it's by far one of the best (and most underrated) JRPG ever made and I'm sure most people can testify for that.

EDIT: Cheers to my 500th post!! *confetti*

Problem with Mekakucity Actors is that unless you have a decent grasp of the main story beforehand the anime itself is just lacking parts. It's just a very peculiar story that Shaft decided to animate and it is a nice adaptation but as a standalone it's hard for one to get what's going on.

Watching Kotoura-san

Those were the most heavy first 10 minutes on a comedy ever. I like the premise, the characters seem fun, I hope this gets me back into anime marathoning. So far so good.

I've been KagePro fan for a while now and when I heared that Novel was going to be adapted in manga/anime, it really made me happy thought anime was a bit disappointing.

Well obviously the anime didn't adapt everything, it wasn't perfect, and given it was 1 cour it was just impossible to shove everything the original had in there, but i didn't think it was disappointing, it just did its best to form a linear story because let's face it the original is anything but linear, and for what it was I thought it was a nice addition. I just see it as a different version and not an adaptation.

Problem with Mekakucity Actors is that unless you have a decent grasp of the main story beforehand the anime itself is just lacking parts. It's just a very peculiar story that Shaft decided to animate and it is a nice adaptation but as a standalone it's hard for one to get what's going on.

Which I guess is one very apparent flaw, the anime felt like a huge inside joke. Maybe there should've been a big text in the beginning that says "We have an established lore. Go read about it somewhere else."

Watching Kotoura-san

Those were the most heavy first 10 minutes on a comedy ever. I like the premise, the characters seem fun, I hope this gets me back into anime marathoning. So far so good.

Kotoura-san was mostly worth for its first episode, which made quite the talk when it first came out.

The rest is pretty stock comedy with not so bad characters, I guess it was mildly interesting. Nothing out of the ordinary but kinda nice.

Kotoura-san was mostly worth for its first episode, which made quite the talk when it first came out.

The rest is pretty stock comedy with not so bad characters, I guess it was mildly interesting. Nothing out of the ordinary but kinda nice.

I'm on episode 8 now.

Certainly goes back into a regular comedy routine after ep 1 but the characters' quirkiness is entertaining enough (or else I wouldn't be on ep 8 now). It's not some masterpiece but Kotoura is really cute in her own right (I love her exaggerated reactions to the protag's fantasies), the comedy did make me laugh a couple times so I'm not disappointed, the drama blows out of proportion sometimes but meh, it's a nice show overall, I like it~

When it initially started airing, I went into Kotoura-san expecting a light-hearted rom-com series. It surprised the heck out of me with its emotional roller coaster on the first episode, but the rest of the series was very cute. Actually, I'm not sure if my heart would've be able to take any more episodes like the first one (it'd be Clannad Afterstory all over again), so that was actually a bit of a relief. Kotoura and Manabe were still a very cute pairing. :3 I was actually half expecting the series to not be as much of a tearjerker afterwards because of the way the drama was played out. Most series usually won't put everything it has into the opening episode. In order for the series to remain consistent with the drama, it has to build up for it and establish the characters and the premise a little more before throwing in the tearjerkers. Heck, the manga I read didn't even start off this strongly, so it was probably experimental marketing on the anime's part. Otherwise, the rest of the series was still very cute, it's just that the first episode felt a little out of place, lol.

Just finished watching Log Horizon (yes, I know I'm slow) and I enjoyed it. Definitely not flawless, but still looking forward to season 2.

One a side note, does anyone have any good fantasy/adventure anime to recommend? I'm a sucker for the genre but lately I seem to have ran out of fantasy/adventure anime to watch. It doesn't need to be a masterpiece, an enjoyable 'sword and sorcery' style show will do.

Here's what I've already watched:

(I'm including only the fantasy/adventure genre here)

Zero no Tsukaima

Shakugan no Shana

Index and Railgun

Pandora Hearts

D.Gray Man

F/Z

Suisei no Gargantia

Soul Eater

Oda Nobuna no Yabou

Blast of Tempest

Outbreak Company

Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai kara Kuru Sou Desu yo? 

Sunday Without God

Hataraku Maou Sama

Log Horizon

SAO

SnK

Magi

Tokyo Ravens

Noragami

Hitsugi no Chaika

NGNL

Just finished watching Log Horizon (yes, I know I'm slow) and I enjoyed it. Definitely not flawless, but still looking forward to season 2.

One a side note, does anyone have any good fantasy/adventure anime to recommend? I'm a sucker for the genre but lately I seem to have ran out of fantasy/adventure anime to watch. It doesn't need to be a masterpiece, an enjoyable 'sword and sorcery' style show will do.

Here's what I've already watched:

(I'm including only the fantasy/adventure genre here)

Zero no Tsukaima

Shakugan no Shana

Index and Railgun

Pandora Hearts

D.Gray Man

F/Z

Suisei no Gargantia

Soul Eater

Oda Nobuna no Yabou

Blast of Tempest

Outbreak Company

Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai kara Kuru Sou Desu yo? 

Sunday Without God

Hataraku Maou Sama

Log Horizon

SAO

SnK

Magi

Tokyo Ravens

Noragami

Hitsugi no Chaika

NGNL

I'd recommend the .hack// series. Since it's a 4-episode OVA, I'd suggest starting off with Quantum. And if you like what you got from that, try Sign and Roots as well. Granted, you won't get as much from the experience without playing the games, but it's still enjoyable without them. Stay away from Legend Of The Twilight though (worst series in the franchise). And if you ever become a die-hard fan of the series, you can get the full experience from following a certain time line. I had a list and reference links made beforehand, so I'll just go ahead and copy/paste it here. :P I'm not sure if this is the first video game anime ever done, but it is one of the biggest predecessors to series like SAO and Log Horizon. Has a very rich and expansive universe.

AI Buster > Sign > Liminality > IMOQ > Roots > G.U > Returner > Quantum > Link > Sekai no Mukou ni

Finished Kotoura-san's last episodes today.

It was indeed a nice series overall, it had a somewhat conclusive ending and there was never a moment where it got too dark without everything being reliefed soon after. 

The characters were fun and never left me bored and their interaction just made the whole thing solid and enjoyable through out.

I give Kotoura-san an 8/10. Very fun to watch, nothing too outstanding, but not disappointing in the slightest.

I decided I'm going to catch up with stuff I missed from these latest seasons.

Starting with Outbreak Company. Which will be followed by Noragami and Hamatora.

I'd recommend the .hack// series. Since it's a 4-episode OVA, I'd suggest starting off with Quantum. And if you like what you got from that, try Sign and Roots as well. Granted, you won't get as much from the experience without playing the games, but it's still enjoyable without them. Stay away from Legend Of The Twilight though (worst series in the franchise). And if you ever become a die-hard fan of the series, you can get the full experience from following a certain time line. I had a list and reference links made beforehand, so I'll just go ahead and copy/paste it here. :P I'm not sure if this is the first video game anime ever done, but it is one of the biggest predecessors to series like SAO and Log Horizon. Has a very rich and expansive universe.

AI Buster > Sign > Liminality > IMOQ > Roots > G.U > Returner > Quantum > Link > Sekai no Mukou ni

Hmm, I'll check it out for a bit I guess. I stayed away from it because my friend told me that it's just mostly people standing in a circle and talking,, which bored him to death. That may be just him though...

He's probably talking about Sign and could have been expecting more action from it. Sign is a little bit slower than the others as far as action goes, but it has a wonderful soundtrack, beautiful art quality, and the characters do have a significant amount of depth. If you're the type of person that enjoys analyzing characters, the conversations in .hack//Sign will most likely not bore you. The plot is also very good, but it's also incomplete since the storyline continues in the PS2 games. That's also why I suggest starting off with Quantum as it does have significantly improved pacing, gets very emotional, and it handles the mystery themes behind The World very well. Chronologically, it takes place after Roots/GU, so the storyline won't make perfect sense, but it'll still be a good introduction.