What Anime are you watching now?

Ryoji

3/4 of the way through Conception and I low key really like this show. It's relentlessly unserious and stupid, and it's hilarious to see people complaining and incomprehensible plot and uncomfortable gags like if it was a genuine harem. At the moment the show is on the red herring BL episode, with the protagonist looking for the yet unknown 13th magical waifu and getting confused by the horny magical-tanuki-mascot-thing that the missing maiden might be a guy... And the protagonist REALLY gets into the mindset. Harem fans on Crunchyroll were not amused, I think it's pretty hilarious. 🙃

So yeah, while the last episode of Conception was a bit more serious and cohesive (ie. boring), for the most part the show stayed consistently degenerate and mind-breakingly stupid. I'm tempted to throw in the major spoilers, because it's hilarious how fucked up they are, but I think I'll refrain. I kind of want more people to watch this show for themselves, because I genuinely feel it's overly vilified – the parody and off-putting perviness was so obvious from the beginning that I'm shocked there were so many people unable to immediately identify the kind of parody it is. It's like they expected genuine ecchi and romance in something absolutely disinterested in delivering those and got offended by not getting any. I give it a somewhat shaky 6/10 and a fairly confident "so-bad-it's-good" seal of approval. :mare:

Ayy what’s good you old FuwaFucks 🤙

I’ve been watching Glass Mask the “newer” version, its pretty good for a drama, shoujo. Romantic elements present but not overt, realistic setback and character growth. When i saw it had a pretty gold score on MAL i had to give it a shot, and havent been disappointed 

• 5 weeks later...

Sooo, I've been catching on some stuff from my to-watch list.

First, Mushoku Tensei pretty much lived up to the hype. Really cool, character-driven isekai, with barely any weak points outside of the pervy stuff (which is not necessarily all bad, there is a narrative reason for some of it, but it's definitely overdone). I've wanted to watch it before the new season starts this summer and you can easily see how the original LN kickstarted the non-game side of isekai – it's so rich in its world and narrative that 90% of isekais after it ripped off major parts of it while rarely getting anywhere near it with either personality and/or complexity. Also loved how complete the first season felt, showing this massive personal journey of growth and overcoming trauma for Rudeus, while also giving a clear direction for the future. A few minor arcs felt rushed and slightly confusing, but overall, excellent piece of anime. 9/10?

Cyberpunk: Edgerunners was another one I wanted to watch for a while and also enjoyed a lot. It feels like a short story more than a full series, but considering the subject matter, that's very fitting. It's all about how the world of Cyberpunk crushes people, and how it uses the very desperation it creates to exploit them even harder at every step. How Cyberpunks themselves, supposedly ones outside of the mundane oppression of the system, are actually another cog in the machine, used by the corpo powers as they please and discarded as soon and they lose their utility... But in the end, it's also not as depressing and grimdark as some reactions made me believe. I'm not sure there is much hope in it, but there's definitely some space for humanity and for some characters finding a better future, it's not just a tragedy for the sake of tragedy as some people make it out to be. Also 9/10 for me.

Then, I've decided to finally check out Tokyo Ghoul... And... WTF? Just how botched that adaptation has to be if the manga is well-regarded? I kind of like the world, as I like vampires and this is basically a not-that-major spin on that theme... But holy crap the storytelling, it's just a neverending cycle of stupid->edgy->even more stupid->even more edgy, and then just fucking end in the most awkward moment imaginable. I actually quite hated the experience of watching it, and I didn't go in with such bad expectations, only with the knowledge that the adaptation was very imperfect. Maybe watching it as a dumb 15-year-old who really enjoyed Elfen Lied would leave me with a better impression... But I don't even think that's the case, it doesn't try to be a tear-jerker, it's just over-the-top brutal and obnoxious, on top of being rushed and sucking at character development... Meh/10.

1 hour ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

First, Mushoku Tensei pretty much lived up to the hype.

I bought the first volume of LN for this a few years ago, but I'm yet to read it. Honestly, I'm afraid that this protagonist will be too much for me, but I also think from what people were saying about the story that it might make up for his flaws.

2 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

I bought the first volume of LN for this a few years ago, but I'm yet to read it. Honestly, I'm afraid that this protagonist will be too much for me, but I also think from what people were saying about the story that it might make up for his flaws.

Mushoku Tensei is above all a redemption story and at least in anime while Rudeus' pervyness and his horrible past life are present, his positive qualities and him overcoming past traumas are much more prevalent. The very beginning of the story is pretty uncomfortable IMO but it only gets better after that, so I don't think it should be unbearable by any standards. :)

9 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

The very beginning of the story is pretty uncomfortable IMO

Yeah, I read a few chapters at the start. I think the last chapter I read was from the maid's perspective, where she said how uncomfortable she was around the MC, while no one but her realized that there was something wrong with him. And yeah, that was pretty disturbing.

17 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

Yeah, I read a few chapters at the start. I think the last chapter I read was from the maid's perspective, where she said how uncomfortable she was around the MC, while no one but her realized that there was something wrong with him. And yeah, that was pretty disturbing.

My un-favourite thing is actually all the instances of Rudeus pervying over his own mother, but yeah, I think this is as bad as it ever gets. Also, I feel that this part of Mushoku Tensei is why so many isekais after it made the protagonists either reincarnate as adults or awaken their memories of previous life at grade-schooler age. You can easily imagine how traumatic the experience of a fully self-aware toddler would actually be unless they're some kind of extreme pervert. 😛

• 4 months later...

Undead-Girl-Murder-Farce.jpg

Undead Girl Murder Farce

I am only on 5 episode but.... the plot was awsome about first 2. And then you see some Detectives and MORE detectives.... like Sherlock and alike. Not realy interesting but will do for a wile. Actualy i watched so many anime, so recently just whaiting for some good things from my list come out.

• 3 weeks later...