What Anime are you watching now?

Ryoji

Watching King's Game and not only I've just experienced a long exposition dump delivered calmly by a character who's LITERALY ON FIRE, but also characters seem to freak out a lot more when the King tells them to hook up than when it forces them to kill each other...

Not only is this anime unlike any other, it also gives me new insights into Japan's demographic crisis. Truly a worthwhile watch. :sachi:

• 3 weeks later...

We had a small covid outbreak in our company, so while I likely didn't catch it, I had a little repeat of lockdown experience, with nearly everyone switching to remote work... So, obviously, I binged some anime in free time.

Already mentioned King's Game, but God damn it, what a mess that was. Quite likely the worst anime I've seen narratively speaking, constantly switching storylines, spoiling itself to the viewers and just being so inept in building tension and emotional engagement that it's barely believable. Every time I thought it was going to do something interesting, like with the rare non-lethal punishments in the death game, it immediately destroyed that potential in most stupid ways. A genuine 1/10, despite production quality not being that awful.

With more interesting stuff, Akebi's Sailor Uniform is quite a unique slice-of-life series. Set in an all-girls middle school, it has this vividly yuri aesthetic despite not having any romantic elements. Very detailed stylization with more feminine than moe vibes... Narratively though, it's pure saccharine with the protagonist being this unstoppable ray of sunshine pulling the best out of everyone around her. Deeply pleasant to watch, but probably not for everyone... Also, I think the mangaka has a foot fetish, which leads to some weird closeups in what is otherwise a very clean show. 😛 8/10

Also, isekais! Caught up on the slime isekai which I stopped watching after the first season. I give both seasons and all the spinoffs and OVAs a collective 7,5/10. It's quite consistent in being this slower-paced, non-evil Overlord – a lot of interesting worldbuilding and extreme power levels, but skewing towards fantasy slice-of-life and general wholesomeness... Until you have to wipe out an army or two to protect your kingdom. For power fantasy, it's really pretty solid and nuanced, showing how protagonist's peaceful nature leads to both great results and grave mistakes, even if he can mostly repair the damage afterwards.

Than I've tried to relax with some humour and checked out Asobi Asobae... What a bonkers show. The opening is a pure trolling of yuri fans, diving 100% into the aesthetic even up to the flower symbolism, and what follows is just glorious absurdist comedy that completely demolishes the moe facade. I didn't love it as much as some poeple seem to do, but the pacing and creativity of the gags was consistently good. Solid 8/10.

And now a bit of a curveball... I decided to get into A Certain Scientific Railgun and I low-key adore this show. I forced myself through the first two arcs (9 episodes) of Index to get some grasp of that side of the story and setting, but I'll be definitely staying away from it. It just feels like every stale, over-dramatic shounen show out there and nothing I read about it makes me feel it would get any better after the opening I've experienced.

Railgun though I really enjoyed, also for the reasons some people criticise it. The way it intertwines slice-of-life with action, slowly building towards major arcs with smaller events and clues in seemingly unrelated scenes... It's actually pretty damn good. It's not a typical or even that consistent of a structure, but so far I haven't seen any real "filler" that I'd dislike, or episodes I felt did nothing for the characters. It's even hard to fully describe the way the show mixes its themes – it's a bit of moe, a bit of slice-of-life, a bit of buddy cop story, a bit of superpowers shounen... But most of the time, it just works. Also, Mikoto is a really fun female lead – incredibly powerful, but also inexperienced and hotheaded enough to put herself in vulnerable position on a regular basis. The worldbuilding isn't amazing, and constant yuri baiting is a bit meh (although it's not just comedy, the bonds between the girls are deep and very relevant for the story), but I find the overall writing and vibes of the story deeply enjoyable. Kind of a nice flower that grew out of a pile of shit... Hopefully, there are no Index fans around. '^^

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

2 hours ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Railgun though I really enjoyed, also for the reasons some people criticise it. The way it intertwines slice-of-life with action, slowly building towards major arcs with smaller events and clues in seemingly unrelated scenes... It's actually pretty damn good. It's not a typical or even that consistent of a structure, but so far I haven't seen any real "filler" that I'd dislike, or episodes I felt did nothing for the characters. It's even hard to fully describe the way the show mixes its themes – it's a bit of moe, a bit of slice-of-life, a bit of buddy cop story, a bit of superpowers shounen... But most of the time, it just works. Also, Mikoto is a really fun female lead – incredibly powerful, but also inexperienced and hotheaded enough to put herself in vulnerable position on a regular basis. The worldbuilding isn't amazing, and constant yuri baiting is a bit meh (although it's not just comedy, the bonds between the girls are deep and very relevant for the story), but I find the overall writing and vibes of the story deeply enjoyable. Kind of a nice flower that grew out of a pile of shit... Hopefully, there are no Index fans around. '^^

Funny, I had the same experience of starting with Index, giving up, and switching to Railgun which I've actually finished a season of.
I enjoyed it, but I've got a vendetta against anime teasing ships that won't ever develop -- or at least in a timely manner -- so I've never really felt like continuing it.

What a thread, i could be sticking hundreds of hours in here to see all these varied opinions on anime, this is truly great. I am personally a giant fan of To aru kagaku no Railgun because the blend of action and slice of life mixed with this intricate scifi plot and the cool school made for a great cocktail. While I like the girls a lot my absolute favourite character is Accelerator. Who gets the idea to be giving a villain basically a math and physics based ability? He might be truly angry, sometimes annoying and generally really loud, i love his dynamic with both Misaka and my waifu of the show, Last Order. 

The Railgun anime will always be inside my heart as something i could bingewatch. The other characters like Saten-san are also pretty cool. 

11 hours ago, HataVNI said:

The other characters like Saten-san are also pretty cool. 

Actually, I find it pretty ingenious how crucial she is for the story. Pairing Mikoto and Kuroko with a character that has no crazy skills whatsoever, going through completely different struggles and offering drastically different perspective on things is a really neat storytelling device... And because of the strong focus on slice-of-life, her presence never feels out of place – as inadequate as she might sometimes feel, she's a dear friend to the lead characters and life is not just about shounen battles. The top-quality voice cast doesn't hurt things either, with Saten in particular feeling very... Real and relatable. :)

...I'll stop fanboying now, but I couldn't help myself with this one... '^^

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently watching Super Gals. It's really intriguing to see the difference between Gyaru of the early 2000s compared to Gyaru in modern anime. Using Galko-chan (Oshiete! Galko-chan) as an example---she would be more akin to one of the background characters in Super Gals than the protagonist of her own series, and yet, here we are. 

The protagonist of Super Gals is an honest to god delight. She's hilarious. I initially went in expecting a certain character to be the love interest, and it turns out I had it completely wrong, which is great because Super Gals going the off-beat route feels on brand.

Finished the second season of Railgun which was pretty awesome, although in quite a different way than the first one. It was a lot more focused and action-filled, with Misaka mostly going on her own and leaving the rest of the crew in pretty much tertiary roles (at least in the first arc, which is massive and goes for 2/3 of the 24 episode season)... Which is not bad, but skips a bit on the things I liked about the first season. The production quality though... It's hard to describe how better the animation and art got in comparison to the early entries in the Index series. Quite excited to see how far the third season of Railgun pushed the whole thing.

The problem is, I wanted to catch up a little bit on Index after all, to see more of its side of Misaka's and Accelerator's stories... But holy fuck, after watching Railgun S the original Index series looks HIDEOUS. Characters also feel like infinitely shittier versions of themselves compared to what I've just watched... I'm not sure I can get used to it. :s

7 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Finished the second season of Railgun which was pretty awesome, although in quite a different way than the first one. It was a lot more focused and action-filled, with Misaka mostly going on her own and leaving the rest of the crew in pretty much tertiary roles (at least in the first arc, which is massive and goes for 2/3 of the 24 episode season)... Which is not bad, but skips a bit on the things I liked about the first season. The production quality though... It's hard to describe how better the animation and art got in comparison to the early entries in the Index series. Quite excited to see how far the third season of Railgun pushed the whole thing.

The problem is, I wanted to catch up a little bit on Index after all, to see more of its side of Misaka's and Accelerator's stories... But holy fuck, after watching Railgun S the original Index series looks HIDEOUS. Characters also feel like infinitely shittier versions of themselves compared to what I've just watched... I'm not sure I can get used to it. :s

Last Order is mai waifu.

19 hours ago, HataVNI said:

Last Order is mai waifu.

She's pretty sus as a waifu material though... But I guess that goes to all Misaka clones, they are like 1 year old at best. :s

Anyway, I forced myself through the first season of Index, and well... never again. I really don't like anything that has to do with magic in this series and it's kind of weird seeing the vastly less epic adaptation of the sisters arc and its fallout... The parts with Accelerator are basically the only thing I genuinely enjoyed, because even Misaka feels quite muted in comparison to how she's portayed in Railgun. The whole season also felt extremely messy with those disjointed, short arcs and a rather forgettable ending. The thing I've said about Railgun, constantly building up towards bigger events and rising the stakes? Nowhere to be found, unless you count the whole magic vs science conflict that apparently climaxes in the trash-fire that is Index III. Anyway, it's tempting to watch some arcs of Index and maybe I'll look out specific episodes to check out in the future, but with the series as a whole, I'm out.

Before going to Railgun T I'll check out the Accelerator series though. Should be a lot of Last Order/Misaka clones stuff in there and while the series doens't seem highly rated, what I read people criticizing it for (mostly lack of character development and high-stakes events) shouldn't bother me much. :3

• 4 weeks later...

There are some pretty good shows this season:

Golden Kamuy - glad to see this amazing series is back with more Hinna. Probably best show of the season for me.

Yojouhan Time Machine Blues - A short OVA, but seeing that Yojouhan Shinwa is one of my favorite animes, I have rather high expectations for it.

Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch from Mercury - it's an AU gundam universe, we'll see whether it gets good.

Tensei shitara Ken Deshita - one of the better isekai novels gets an adaptation.

Akiba Meido Sensou - I originally wasn't planning on watching this, but it was recommended to me. Lol, it's a story about crime syndicates in maid cafes. Really hilarious show by PA works. I didn't see that last time I went to Akiba. Maybe, next time I'll be on the lookout and see if I can spot them in action.

Poputepipikku 2nd Season - it's about what you'd expect, more of the same thing. Meme in anime form.

MLA S2 - is as shitty as ever as an adaptation. Do yourself a favor and skip this. Only good thing is Jam Project singing the OP.

Fumetsu no Anata S2 - so far only 1 episode is out, but good for fans of the show. No new OP though. I like the OP, but getting new OP's is also one of the things I look forward to.

mob psycho, yamasusu, do it yourself, bocchi the rock all delivering on the animation/direction front

urusei yatsura is hard to get used to with the new VAs, too used to the original ones

eminence in shadow is different from how i remember it from the WN, i guess the LN changed a few things

tenken made me wanna start reading its LN as well

spy x fam, CSM, pptp deliver as expected

and i also watch renkinjutsushi, renai flops, beast tamer, and akiba maid war which are alright

I'm not feeling like making a season thread, but just wanted to shill the new otome villainess anime. It's my genuine favourite this season: fun plot without filler, adorable romance between the protagonist and the demon lord, protagonist getting her way not by being OP, but with determination and wit... It's simply all I would ever want from this kind of formula. Obviously not the best anime around, as this season is insane, but deeply enjoyable. ^^

29 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

I'm not feeling like making a season thread, but just wanted to shill the new otome villainess anime. It's my genuine favourite this season: fun plot without filler, adorable romance between the protagonist and the demon lord, protagonist getting her way not by being OP, but with determination and wit... It's simply all I would ever want from this kind of formula. Obviously not the best anime around, as this season is insane, but deeply enjoyable. ^^

Huh, so it's actually good? I remember trying to read the fan translation of the web novel version way before it got the official translation. And either it didn't give the original justice, or it just wasn't my thing, so I dropped it pretty quickly. That's why I got really surprised that this one was one of the few villainess novels that got an anime.

3 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

Huh, so it's actually good? I remember trying to read the fan translation of the web novel version way before it got the official translation. And either it didn't give the original justice, or it just wasn't my thing, so I dropped it pretty quickly. That's why I got really surprised that this one was one of the few villainess novels that got an anime.

I have shitty taste for sure, so not sure how much my opinion is worth, but while Bakarina quickly got me bored with the repeated jokes and lack of character development, I really like how this series is flowing. It focuses on proper romance (the chemistry between the protagonist and the demon lord is actually quite adorable) and intrigue instead of exploitable gags or meandering harem plots. It also seems to breeze through light novel volumes skipping most of the filler, but keeping all the important stuff, so it's not feeling particularly rushed or disjointed but gets to the point pretty quickly in every story arc. It's not very deep and definitely a lighthearted, feel-good show above all, but so far the plot structure felt surprisingly fresh and the overall experience left me with very little to complain about. I really think it's quite solid, beside feeding exactly into my personal preferences. :)

12 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Bakarina quickly got me bored with the repeated jokes and lack of character developmen

I liked the first season of Bakarina, but when it ended I realized that I wouldn't watch the second season, nor read the original. I just felt that the first season did everything that it could with the setting, and the continuation wouldn't add anything new to it.

To be honest though, when it comes to LNs and manga, villainess stories at this point are just as overdone as regular littpg isekais. Usually it's just the same story over and over again: the villainess is actually a literal angel, but nobody understands that; the original heroine is a complete sadistic bitch, and the original love interests are just idiots. Though there are some decent ones as well.

47 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

To be honest though, when it comes to LNs and manga, villainess stories at this point are just as overdone as regular littpg isekais. Usually it's just the same story over and over again: the villainess is actually a literal angel, but nobody understands that; the original heroine is a complete sadistic bitch, and the original love interests are just idiots. Though there are some decent ones as well.

The thing is, the protagonist here is NOT an angel. I'd say she's overall a good person, and it's not clear at this point what the heroine's deal is (likely she's also reincarnated and acting not really from malice but rather selfish disregard for the game characters)... But the protag's ambitious, proud to the point of vanity and at the beginning acting purely from self-preservation and in a rather calculated manner. It somewhat changes after she catches feelings for the demon lord and gets past all the death flags... but I think the charm of the series very much depends on the fact that she's not just a soul from another world inserted into the villainess, she IS the villainess with some memories from a previous life guiding her behaviour. For a female protagonist, I think she's really cool and her personality contrasts with the reserved and brooding nature of the demon lord really well. I feel the reception of this show is a bit lukeworm and I kind of get why but holy crap do I like its main building blocks.

17 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

The thing is, the protagonist here is NOT an angel.

Oh, I wasn't talking about this story in particular. As little as I remember about the original novel, I'm pretty sure she was definitely not like that. 😅 I was mostly just rambling about the villainess genre in general and why I don't follow it as closely as I used to. On the other hand, there are still a lot of really good and creative stories there. And, well, even among stories that follow that formula there are some enjoyable ones.

On another note, have you watched Bibliophile Princess from this season? I'm pretty curious about what people think about this one.

Edited by Dreamysyu

Watched Pokemon (2019) episode 130 last week. Ep 131 comes out in 3 days hands up hands up

Other than that the only anime of recent that I've been able to connect with on a deep level is Sonny Boy. It's super good, super fun, it's def not for everyone but give it a go its only 12 ep. And if you wanna talk about it msg me id be happy to. 

Sifted through some other stuff hyped up by the community but I guess after years and years and hundreds and hundreds (and hundreds...) of anime I just can't enjoy it the same anymore. Well, except for my religious weekly attendance of pokemon which even after 18 years I still remain passionate about every coming week

On 10/31/2022 at 11:06 PM, Dreamysyu said:

On another note, have you watched Bibliophile Princess from this season? I'm pretty curious about what people think about this one.

I have not heard about that one at all until you mentioned it. This season is so noisy it's pretty easy to miss stuff, but I'll add it to my growingly-desperate to-watch list. :P

1 hour ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

I have not heard about that one at all until you mentioned it. This season is so noisy it's pretty easy to miss stuff, but I'll add it to my growingly-desperate to-watch list. :P

I've read the first two volumes of the LN, and it was slightly boring, but generally pretty good. 🐱

Recently watched Maou-jou de Oyasumi where the titular princess is kidnapped by the demon lord. Does she want to escape? No. Her only goal is to find a way to get the most comfortable sleep using her ingenuity and resourcefulness, with a complete disregard for anyone else well being. Combine her selfish and demonic personality contrasted with her cutsy voice and moe appearance as the princess torments in the colourful inhabitants of the demon lord castle and you have a peak comedy show.