Jump to content

What Anime are you watching now?


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

I wonder how botched this series is as an adaptation, considering the LN is relatively respected?

Well, I've never seen the anime, but from the way you describe it, it seems to be quite botched. Sounds as if they included the main plot point but skipped all the explanations and the character motivations. I mean, it's not like the original light novel is that good. The writing is pretty amateurish, and the story is kind of garbagey (in a good sense). I mean, the author literally used "chuuni lover" as a pseudonym when he posted the original WN, so what else would you expect. :serasmug: Still, the pacing is extremely good, and, unlike many light novels which lose any sense of direction after a few volumes, the story in this one actually feels like it knows where it is going, and the humor is indeed genuinely funny. The MC isn't a self-insert, and even if he is an edgelord, it kind of makes sense for him to be one after everything he went though, and he's also extremely entertaining to watch.

Also, the relationship between the MC and Yue in the first volume is actually one of the best things about the LN, and it's a shame that it was kind of ruined after it turned into harem. Though on their own Shea and Shizuku are also pretty good.

PS. I've actually just started reading the prequel recently, and I feel like the writing in that one really improved. It's a bit hard to read, honestly, since I already know how it ends. :komari:

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Watched both seasons of "I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying" today.  

Shirobako is one of the most awesome products to come out of the anime industry in the last 5 years. I highly, HIGHLY recommend :3

Last week, had my occasional anime marathon with my friend. We watched three shows, two of which were new for me. First show was Made in Abyss. At first I thought it was going to be full of furry

8 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

Also, the relationship between the MC and Yue in the first volume is actually one of the best things about the LN, and it's a shame that it was kind of ruined after it turned into harem. Though on their own Shea and Shizuku are also pretty good.

Just from curiosity, does Yue stay as the primary heroine for the whole thing in the LN? The anime suggests she's the only one who's feelings were genuinely returned by the protagonist and this made the harem dynamics somewhat tolerable. At least Hajime wasn't a spineless whimp with no preferences or agency.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2021 at 8:57 AM, Plk_Lesiak said:

Just from curiosity, does Yue stay as the primary heroine for the whole thing in the LN?

Spoiler

My own understanding is that yes, in the sense that any other girl needed a bunch of volumes to even encroach their way to his heart.

After a number of volumes, with Yue's encouragement (and this is important), he starts letting others in, one by one.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Novel21 said:

I'm watching Fruits basket again and i enjoy watching it a lot. 

I have missed watch that anime😀

You mean the remake/the recent one? I think I stalled it around the middle of the second season, but I have to come back to it, from what I read it only gets better along the way. :3

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

You mean the remake/the recent one? I think I stalled it around the middle of the second season, but I have to come back to it, from what I read it only gets better along the way. :3

Yes remake/recent one and yes it's getting better. 

Why did you stalled it? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Novel21 said:

Yes remake/recent one and yes it's getting better. 

Why did you stalled it? 

No reason in particular, other things simply got in the way and I threw me out of my watching habits... But I really do not like leaving stuff unfinished, so I was going to come back to it one day and now that I saw the reviews, it would be a crime not to do so. :3

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

No reason in particular, other things simply got in the way and I threw me out of my watching habits... But I really do not like leaving stuff unfinished, so I was going to come back to it one day and now that I saw the reviews, it would be a crime not to do so. :3

It happens to me too a lot of times and i have just start to watch season 2. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh man, Mahou Shoujo Site... What a delicious trainwreck! Honestly, from what many people wrote about it, I expected absolute crap, but the way the anime flowed throughout the season makes me semi-respect it. Maybe the most hilarious part is that the core premise (revealed around the end of the season) is pretty much the same exact idea that drove Maggot Baits' plot and got realized in the first ending of that VN (and speaking very seriously, it's one of my favourite endings of all time, sadly attached to a very tiring fetish game and somewhat spoiled by the "true" ending). Basically,

Spoiler

the cause of everything being a morally questionable deity that cumulates negative emotion and suffering to ultimately purge humanity of all dark impulses and create an eternity of peace. The tools this time being not the immortal witches, but the magical girls chosen among particularly miserable and alienated kids.

The one-dimensional psycho characters, the angst, the violence of course are in the same pure-trash category as Happy Sugar Life, also without the interesting visual tricks and voice talent from that anime... But I can stomach that a lot more when it's intertwined with over-the-top fantasy elements. And here those are obviously the ultra-dark spin on magical girl themes, ripping off Madoka in some ways, but without keeping up any pretences. It's obvious that the source of magic powers is horrible from the moment they show up and it only gets worse from there. The drama is extremely over-the-top and tasteless, particularly at the start, when we see the horrible abuse the protagonist goes though from pretty much everyone around her... But as the plot progresses, the "so bad it's good" factor kicks in. The supporting characters and the way relationships between them and the main girls evolve is beyond absurd. There's apparently no serial killed they can't be buddy-buddy with after a short alliance of convenience. Also, every one shows off and abuses powers that literally eat your life with every activation. This kind of nonsense is ever-present, but adds up to a decent amount of dumb fun and even possible laughs on how far the series is willing to go (and boy, it goes places...).

The ending is amazingly corny (also arguably yuri-bait) and leaves the plot mostly unresolved, but how could it be any other way? And at the same time, some of the reveals in the last two episodes were really cool/had potential. Obviously, not something a series this crappy would really capitalize on, but still, it made me enjoy the climax of the season quite a lot... Definitely more than I expected. 4/10, highly recommended. 😆

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Soo, looking further for feel-good isekai trash, I stumbled upon Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear, which I liked to a surprising degree. While still silly and pretty shallow, I think it nails the feel-good power fantasy to a much higher degree than this season's 300 Slime anime, despite the two shows sharing a lot of their DNA (female protagonist with insane powers, quick resolution of all drama)... That one had a strong opening, but the writing and characters never managed to utilize the idea to a proper degree. In the Bear anime, it's more of a reverse effect – the opening is kind of weak (the way the protagonist is isekai'd is pretty bland and her first moments in the new world not very exciting), but it build up towards something quite satisfying. This is mostly because it focuses on the protagonist and the few core characters a lot and the adventures are pretty meaningful.

The protag herself, Yuna, is rather mature and strong-willed, despite being a teenager and the overall gag of her being both formidable and fairly smart despite wearing the ridiculous bear costume (and often using cute bear-themed powers) works quite well. People treat her like a weirdo at first but quickly learn to look past the exterior when she shows what she's capable of, which is, well, very human. She's also not omnipotent, despite being able to do a lot of game-like BS – I loved the whole section late in the season when she had to crack the puzzle of taking down a kraken and just barely pulled it of. All that struggle motivated mostly by her love for seafood and the local fishermen not being able to work with the monster lurking. Also, her sisterly relationship with Fina, which builds throughout the whole first season, is more than lovely – the "found family" theme is important for the show, but also not fully realized – Yuna connects with a lot of people, but stays pretty independent and driven by her own whims and instincts throughout the whole thing, while the bond with Fina stands out as the first and deepest she made in the new world. Overall, it's that kind of extremely-wholesome power fantasy that shows with male protagonists very rarely create, if ever (the reborn as a slime isekai being the only example I can really think of). Like, the first episodes of Deathmarch made me hopeful for something like this, but it ended up with a slave harem...

So, I'm not sure if this show deserves more than 7/10 and it's targeted towards a very specific audience... But if you're in that group, you'll likely enjoy it a lot, just like I did.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I guess I should give some context to my previous post. 🙂

Anyway, I recently watched Selector Infected WIXOSS (and its second season, Selector Spread WIXOSS) It was an alright anime. I wouldn't really call it a hidden gem like some online comments I've seen before watching, but my final impressions were still positive, and I can recommend you to watch it if you feel that you might be interested.

Basically, it's a card game anime that was probably quite heavily influenced by Madoka Magica. Our protagonist, Ruuko, gets gifted a set of card for a new popular card game, WIXOSS, and then she realizes that there's a moving and talking girl inside one of her cards. Later she meets another girl with a similar card, who explains to Ruuko that she is now a selector, and now she should fight other selectors in magical card battles. If she wins enough times, her wish will come true. If she loses three times, she will lose her card and will stop being a selector. There's a small problem with that though: Ruuko doesn't really have a wish. But she still decides to fight because she has nothing to lose. Right?..

Honestly, my main problem with this anime is how the battles are presented. Well, maybe I'm just not a fan of soft magic systems. I've never really watched a card game anime before, and I doubt they are different in that respect, but there aren't really any rules to the card battles here. Basically, we know that one of the girls is stronger than another, and thus she wins. Or one of the girls isn't fighting seriously, because somebody said something bad to her, or because she can't bring herself to fight seriously for reasons I can't explain due to spoilers, but she needs to come to her senses to win. You just have to believe what the other characters say about the game progression, because it isn't really possible to see the results of their actions for yourself. When the anime actually presents some rules, they will probably eventually become broken by the power of will or something like that. Though, as I was typing it I realized that it's not really a big problem in this case, because it is done to move the plot forward and kind of fits the type of show this is. So, I guess, in the end, it's not really a problem. Huh.

The characters themselves are a bit cartoonish, but pretty good. It was interesting to see the MC and her friends develop throughout the series. As for the antagonists, Iona turned out to be pretty interesting in the second season, actually. Akira... is just an ordinary yandere. The plot was actually surprisingly unpredictable. It was obvious from the very start that there was going to be some darker twist with the battles, as the show didn't try to hide its atmosphere. However, I never really guessed any of the major twists correctly. Well, technically I was correct with one thing, but for the wrong reasons.

As for the technical stuff, I'm not an expert, but I think this anime is pretty well made. There weren't any things that irritated me. Well, with the exception of Tama's voice, perhaps. :ababa: One thing that stood out to me, however, is that some of the backgrounds are really well drawn and pretty to look at.

As for the final rating, I think I will give this anime as a whole 7/10. The second season is slightly better than the firs, but I don't see any reason to give them different ratings, since they don't work on their own.

OPs and EDs here. The second OP has spoilers.

Edit. Oh, and I should probably mention that it has some incest.

Edited by Dreamysyu
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

How are you doing people? I haven't been around lately but strangely enough,I'm still alive and even watching trash-tier anime!

First, I've finished The Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent which, sadly, fell more into cheesy romance tropes more than the isekai power fantasy in the second part of the season. It's quite an interesting specimen in general, as it does with josei tropes basically the same thing trashiest isekais usually do with shounen tropes – the world is just so convenient for the protagonist it's laughable, but at the same time, the female fantasy is infinitely more wholesome and gentle, so I kind of enjoy it. It's a slow-burn, pleasant series where conflict is barely existent and no forms of malice seem possible outside of natural disasters... But it's all heartwarming enough to justify its existence. Maybe it'd be less so if such shows were common, but this specific spin on isekai wasn't something I've seen before and felt fresh enough to not bore me. 

Than, I fell into the trap of watching Love Tyrant which I knew was a shit anime, but still seemed amusing enough from clips. The clips, sadly, were the best part about it. Bad comedic timing, poor writing, flat characters without charm, plot that for some reason tries to transition from episodic comedy to emotional drama and immediately falls flat on its face... From average ratings you would not think it'd be horrible to watch, but I consider it one of my worst anime experiences to date: not good enough to actually be fun and not bad enough to make for a good ironic watch. It's not "so bad it's good" or outrageous enough to keep you engaged, just a tone-deaf pile of utter mediocrity.

And possibly going even further down the drain, I've started watching The Hidden Dungeon Only I Can Enter. And well, entertainment value is at least infinitely higher than Love Tyrant (that is, higher than zero). In a way, it might be my new favourite perv anime – it has this utterly charming quality of being full-on ecchi and being consistently mild in all it does. The premise is basically the protagonist being OP and regenerating his mana through pleasure – all kinds, like good food and drink, but primarily through mildly sexual acts with a small cast of willing heroines, with a very obvious main girl. And he has to recharge often, as he will die if he overspends his power. I'm not sure if that makes sense to anyone else, but what makes Hidden Dungeon enjoyable to me, outside of being generally a somewhat-competent trash fantasy show, is that it's not over-the-top juvenile – it's just the right, mostly believable levels of juvenile, with surprising attention to detail in both how the world is built and how the ecchi is done. And it's not even a tease, like, you have a fully consensual kissing scene in the first episode! What anime does that? I dunno, I might be crazy, but I respect what this show does. :wahaha:

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

How are you doing people? I haven't been around lately but strangely enough,I'm still alive and even watching trash-tier anime!

First, I've finished The Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent which, sadly, fell more into cheesy romance tropes more than the isekai power fantasy in the second part of the season. It's quite an interesting specimen in general, as it does with josei tropes basically the same thing trashiest isekais usually do with shounen tropes – the world is just so convenient for the protagonist it's laughable, but at the same time, the female fantasy is infinitely more wholesome and gentle, so I kind of enjoy it. It's a slow-burn, pleasant series where conflict is barely existent and no forms of malice seem possible outside of natural disasters... But it's all heartwarming enough to justify its existence. Maybe it'd be less so if such shows were common, but this specific spin on isekai wasn't something I've seen before and felt fresh enough to not bore me. 

Than, I fell into the trap of watching Love Tyrant which I knew was a shit anime, but still seemed amusing enough from clips. The clips, sadly, were the best part about it. Bad comedic timing, poor writing, flat characters without charm, plot that for some reason tries to transition from episodic comedy to emotional drama and immediately falls flat on its face... From average ratings you would not think it'd be horrible to watch, but I consider it one of my worst anime experiences to date: not good enough to actually be fun and not bad enough to make for a good ironic watch. It's not "so bad it's good" or outrageous enough to keep you engaged, just a tone-deaf pile of utter mediocrity.

And possibly going even further down the drain, I've started watching The Hidden Dungeon Only I Can Enter. And well, entertainment value is at least infinitely higher than Love Tyrant (that is, higher than zero). In a way, it might be my new favourite perv anime – it has this utterly charming quality of being full-on ecchi and being consistently mild in all it does. The premise is basically the protagonist being OP and regenerating his mana through pleasure – all kinds, like good food and drink, but primarily through mildly sexual acts with a small cast of willing heroines, with a very obvious main girl. And he has to recharge often, as he will die if he overspends his power. I'm not sure if that makes sense to anyone else, but what makes Hidden Dungeon enjoyable to me, outside of being generally a somewhat-competent trash fantasy show, is that it's not over-the-top juvenile – it's just the right, mostly believable levels of juvenile, with surprising attention to detail in both how the world is built and how the ecchi is done. And it's not even a tease, like, you have a fully consensual kissing scene in the first episode! What anime does that? I dunno, I might be crazy, but I respect what this show does. :wahaha:

Hmmm, I'm adding 2/3 to the list...

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

The Hidden Dungeon Only I Can Enter. And well, entertainment value is at least infinitely higher than Love Tyrant (that is, higher than zero). In a way, it might be my new favourite perv anime – it has this utterly charming quality of being full-on ecchi and being consistently mild in all it does.

Well... For some reason I was mildly interested in the original novel without knowing anything about it. Now I'm not interested anymore. :mare:

16 hours ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

First, I've finished The Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent which, sadly, fell more into cheesy romance tropes more than the isekai power fantasy in the second part of the season. It's quite an interesting specimen in general, as it does with josei tropes basically the same thing trashiest isekais usually do with shounen tropes – the world is just so convenient for the protagonist it's laughable, but at the same time, the female fantasy is infinitely more wholesome and gentle, so I kind of enjoy it. It's a slow-burn, pleasant series where conflict is barely existent and no forms of malice seem possible outside of natural disasters... But it's all heartwarming enough to justify its existence.

Oh, yeah, after I recommended it to you I decided to go and see how the anime is compared to the source material. I'm not sure if I actually watched it to the end. I think, there were still one or two episodes left. I think it gave the source material justice, as far as I can tell, considering that I read it years ago, before it was officially picked up for translation. They completely got rid of the game-like level system, but, honestly, it was only mentioned in the novel a few times anyway, and the anime pretty much showed everything that it implied in a different way.

I believe I mentioned it in the past, but the story being very wholesome is exactly the reason why I enjoyed it so much. I understand what you say about the world being convenient and the romance being cheesy. And, truth be told, I probably won't finish the novel since I pretty much got enough sweetness from this story already, and it's time to move to something else before it gets bad. On the other hand, I'd say that the fact that the conflict is nonexistent is a massive advantage this series has compared to many other "wish-fulfilling" female-oriented isekais. Honestly, I find it extremely annoying how many of isekais, both female and male oriented, add cheap badly written angst and drama just for the sake of there being drama, and to make the later "healing" parts seem different. Usually, the protagonist is literally the kindest and the most gentle person ever, but everyone bullies them and hates them just because they are assholes or idiots, and etcetera. Actually, this novel/anime manages to subvert many cliches typically associated with the stories like that. It's has an extremely common beginning, with two people being summoned, and the MC being neglected after that. On the other hand, the MC quickly found her place in the world; the other characters realized her worth and didn't try too much to make her life miserable due to their stubbornness; and, finally, the fact that the other summoned person didn't turn out to be a literal Hitler in a body of a schoolgirl. Overall, this story is still very cliche, but the fact that it skips these particular tropes, in my opinion, just make it feel more tasteful. Sure, it's a wish-fulfillment story, but it doesn't pretend to be something else, and it does the job it takes extremely well.

I'd watch this series after a difficult day or when I feel bad. I wouldn't recommend to watch it if you want something epic or something like that, but it should be given. :)

16 hours ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Maybe it'd be less so if such shows were common, but this specific spin on isekai wasn't something I've seen before and felt fresh enough to not bore me. 

Well, since I read a lot of female-oriented isekais in novel and manga format, I pretty much got to the point where it's hard to impress me, and I find many of the common tropes extremely annoying. On the other hand, for some reason not many of them go this particular route. And, like we should probably expect from something that originates from web-novels, the writing in most of those is a lot worse, so I'd say Seijou still stands out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dreamysyu said:

Actually, this novel/anime manages to subvert many cliches typically associated with the stories like that. It's has an extremely common beginning, with two people being summoned, and the MC being neglected after that. On the other hand, the MC quickly found her place in the world; the other characters realized her worth and didn't try too much to make her life miserable due to their stubbornness; and, finally, the fact that the other summoned person didn't turn out to be a literal Hitler in a body of a schoolgirl. Overall, this story is still very cliche, but the fact that it skips these particular tropes, in my opinion, just make it feel more tasteful. Sure, it's a wish-fulfillment story, but it doesn't pretend to be something else, and it does the job it takes extremely well.

Right, what I didn't mention is that I actually enjoyed the drama around the second saint and the way her story was resolved to a decent degree. While in a normal series indeed either her or the prince would simply be villains, here it's probably the most nuanced and emotional part of the plot. And overall, what I said about the final act is kind of a minor complaint, although...

Spoiler

...I don't even mind that the final message is about saint's power coming from love, I just think it'd be a lot more compelling if it wasn't just about her love for the Captain and her constantly getting bashful like a teenager. It makes all the other connections she made in the new world and the kindness she received kind of meaningless. I like my romance subplot all-right, but the protagonist's journey in the first chapter felt like it was about a bit more than just "the blonde guy is hot". 😛

 

Edited by Plk_Lesiak
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

Well... For some reason I was mildly interested in the original novel without knowing anything about it. Now I'm not interested anymore. :mare:

Going a bit deeper into the anime, I can't imagine the original being worth anyone's time TBH. There are some gloriously inappropriate moments in the show that can be enjoyable on some level, but generally, it's the kind of content that makes some sense in decently-animated form, but would be completely dull to read through. And whenever it strays away from dumb comedy, it gets boring right away. If anyone watched it and remembers the giant tiger episode, they might know what I'm talking about – it was not only weirdly dull and humorless, but also did a tonal 180 at the end with the weirdest sexual joke I might've seen in all anime.

There are still things I like about it though, mainly the small harem and the absolute openness in which the show embraces the bad meme that it is. A bit like Maou-sama Retry, but infinitely more pervy. Also, the incel parody in episode 5 was so out there that I won't be able to fully hate this series or consider it forgettable no matter what happens in the last few episodes. xD

Edit: And after finishing the last few episodes, they weren't horrible, but they were mostly your average. serviceable action plot. Also, in the end everything evolved in the traditional harem fashion, with more girls being added, without much personality or context... The final rating is "meh", although still with some funny moments to enjoy. The initial act was wacky and had some creative energy in it, but that didn't translate into a full season, everything becoming rather stale and a bit too serious after 5th episode. Kind of like Love Tyrant, it just couldn't commit to the comedy and self-aware stupidity for long enough to make the formula consistently fun. I'm mildly disappointed. :<

Edited by Plk_Lesiak
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...