What Anime are you watching now?

Ryoji

I just finished Kamisama Dolls. That was a pretty good watch, with intrigue, action, comedy and romance. It was a little flawed;  at times it felt quite disjointed in the way it moved from serious to comedy and somewhat inconsistent bits of supernatural capabilities and story telling, but it all came together fairly neatly by the end, and despite the fact that there is obviously a second season in the works (clearly anticipated by the story and previewed at the end) they weren't afraid to having romantic progress and a relatively nice conclusion to the first season. That's rather unusual given most shows with more seasons planned simply leave you in the lurch with a half arsed conclusion as a minor consolation. On the other hand, the first season was in 2011 and there's no sign of any second season in the works.

But those boobs... man... I'm not sure if I watched simply fixated by those... The promo pic doesn't do them justice.

kamisama-dolls_837_1680.png

On 1/20/2017 at 5:54 AM, Arkamondal said:

started to watch a little old anime named 'Happy Lesson'.....don't know if it's worth watching cause didn't hear anything about it...after it planning to watch SABER MARIONETTE J...also don't know anything about it....if u guys hv any suggestion on old anime pls suggest me....of course no tear-jerkers though....cause i can't handle them very welll....

Happy Lesson is not worth it.  Saber Marionette J ... I saw ages ago, and at the time I thought it was worth it but I don't know how I think it would hold up if I tried watching it today.

Old anime that are really awesome, in no particular order:  Evangelion, Escaflowne, Cowboy Bebop, Fruits Basket, Princess Tutu, Kanon (2006), the first two seasons of Kenshin, Full Metal Panic, Kino's Journey, Haibane Renmei, Dragon Half, Koi Kaze, Akazukin Cha Cha (no, really, it's hilarious), Crest of the Stars (and the Banner of the Stars sequels), and Spice and Wolf.

On 21/01/2017 at 0:54 AM, Arkamondal said:

started to watch a little old anime named 'Happy Lesson'.....don't know if it's worth watching cause didn't hear anything about it...after it planning to watch SABER MARIONETTE J...also don't know anything about it....if u guys hv any suggestion on old anime pls suggest me....of course no tear-jerkers though....cause i can't handle them very welll....

How old is old? 2+ 5+ years? 10+ years?

2 hours ago, Nandemonai said:

Happy Lesson is not worth it.  Saber Marionette J ... I saw ages ago, and at the time I thought it was worth it but I don't know how I think it would hold up if I tried watching it today.

Old anime that are really awesome, in no particular order:  Evangelion, Escaflowne, Cowboy Bebop, Fruits Basket, Princess Tutu, Kanon (2006), the first two seasons of Kenshin, Full Metal Panic, Kino's Journey, Haibane Renmei, Dragon Half, Koi Kaze, Akazukin Cha Cha (no, really, it's hilarious), Crest of the Stars (and the Banner of the Stars sequels), and Spice and Wolf.

From my 10+ year old list, in addition to what @Nandemonai recommended, Eureka 7, Ghost in the shell (SAC), Love Hina, Lovely Complex, My Hime, Planetes, Kaleido star.

Planetes is an awesome manga, but the anime pales in comparison; to the point I couldn't even sit through a couple episodes of it.  It's a very short manga that got drawn out to a full 2-cour show, and the added content is not nearly as good.  Love Hina I didn't much care for either, since the girls are entirely too willing to be homicidally violent over things they know aren't the main guy's fault.  Instead of Love Hina, I'd recommend going back to the progenitor of the whole harem genre: Tenchi Muyo - the first 2 sets of OVAs are great, and the first TV show is pretty good too.  Also, I second Stand Alone Complex; season 1 is excellent, season 2 is ... still good, but not as good.  Never seen any of the others @ittaku mentioned, but My Hime and Kaleido Star are both on my list of shows I want to check out one day.

Edited by Nandemonai
WTF fuwa I know you know how to fill in an @notify

So I'm watching 'Lagrange: The Flower of Rinne". It started out being decent, looking like pretty stock standard big robot with girls fare in season 1 with a mildly annoying protagonist but was okay to watch. Now I'm in season 2 and it's almost like a different series being very good with some great strong female leads and intrigue... even though I doubt the ending will be unexpected. I'll probably marathon the rest tonight so I may well report my final impressions very soon.

EDIT: Finished watching it. Yes it was very good to the end, and with a mandatory happy ending for me to like it. The story's rather silly in places and a bit shaky but it has a feel good momentum that makes it enjoyable to watch regardless. It went a bit evangelion for a while there but recovered by the end :P

Next up: I've been convinced to at least try watching gintama so that's what I'll do... somewhere amongst Kokoro connect and Haibane Renmei which I've also queued.

Watched TTGL. No words are large enough. Cried several times in the last 2 episodes. 10/10 if I ever saw it.

It's amazing how Imaishi's direction can just make you accept every absurd technicality the writer throws at you. 

Spoiler

(Edit: I now realize like 90% of everyone who watched it must have asked the same question, but whatever, I still sorta stand by it)

That said, I don't understand why Nia had to die in the end. I understand the explanation, but I'm sure they could have explained some way for her to stay alive if they wanted to. It just made the marriage scene (and in some ways, a lot of Simon's struggle) feel pointless to me, like a big middle finger at the end (hello gainax, I guess?) 

Can't I just get one epic, emotional story that ends with, like, a 20-second scene of the main pair, old and wrinkled, sharing one last moment of intimacy on a bench in front of their house, looking out at everything they've accomplished together as they let out their last breaths? No? Ok. Just me I guess

Edited by john 'mr. customer' smith

Rewrite S2, yes yes the CGI monsters are terra-bad and all them non-VNers are getting totally shrekt on wtf is going on, but any1 who's read Moon route should've climaxed 9000x at the adaptation's version of it, seeing all the heroines' final moments in Moon along with the flashback snippets of their individual route CGs just gave me the biggest nostalgia boner ever.

Just finished Haibane Renmei. It was a beautiful story of redemption with angel themes without being openly spiritual or religious as such. It had virtually no themes or tropes from any of the common anime productions of today and was nicely paced without being too slow despite being quite old. It was also really nice to hear Motoko's VA (from Love Hina) in a big role again; I recognised her immediately. My only complaint was what I watched was BD resolution but clearly only about 480p so it had upscaling artifacts which were worse than just watching DVD res. Nonetheless I highly recommend it if you're looking for something different. It's like... Angel beats without the deceptive action and artificial soppy romance.

Also I've started watching gintama... with my wife, since I have no intention of watching the whole thing through so far and then going back and rewatching it with her, so it's an experiment for both of us. We've made it 5 episodes in and so far it's okay and seems to be getting funnier as it progresses. Having survived that many episodes so far, I'm hopeful we'll both get an extended watch out of it.

On 2/13/2017 at 4:18 AM, Eclipsed said:

Rewrite S2, yes yes the CGI monsters are terra-bad and all them non-VNers are getting totally shrekt on wtf is going on, but any1 who's read Moon route should've climaxed 9000x at the adaptation's version of it, seeing all the heroines' final moments in Moon along with the flashback snippets of their individual route CGs just gave me the biggest nostalgia boner ever.

Moon's adaption was the anime we wanted all along but didn't receive.

On 2/6/2017 at 7:02 AM, ittaku said:

How old is old? 2+ 5+ years? 10+ years?

From my 10+ year old list, in addition to what @Nandemonai recommended, Love Hina, 

LOVE HINA

LOVE HINA

L O V E H I N A

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH

tumblr_nu1lwa5LGd1uum06fo1_500.gif

also remember to watch slayers and nadia: the secret of blue water

Finished Kokoro Connect. That was excellent! Only rarely was it predictable but it didn't change the fact that when it was predictable, it was well executed. I did like the way they resolved relationships without doing what I hate see happen (can't say more without spoilers.)  Great watch, 9/10.

Underway on Gintama with my wife too; we haven't given up after 10 episodes and are enjoying it more as it goes on so hopefully both of us are going to get a nice long watch out of what exists so far.

Nearly halfway through a favorite of my sisters, Ouran High School Host Club. It's...... alright, I really like the characters but I feel like they are wasted on the stories presented in the series. It feels like the writer was aiming for something like Hayate the Combat Butler in terms of atmosphere and comedy, but lacks the skill and funnybone, so it comes across as kinda trite.  

21 minutes ago, Soulless Watcher said:

Nearly halfway through a favorite of my sisters, Ouran High School Host Club. It's...... alright, I really like the characters but I feel like they are wasted on the stories presented in the series. It feels like the writer was aiming for something like Hayate the Combat Butler in terms of atmosphere and comedy, but lacks the skill and funnybone, so it comes across as kinda trite.  

I had trouble staying awake through Ouran so after about 4 or 5 episodes I gave up.

10 hours ago, ittaku said:

Finished Kokoro Connect. That was excellent! Only rarely was it predictable but it didn't change the fact that when it was predictable, it was well executed. I did like the way they resolved relationships without doing what I hate see happen (can't say more without spoilers.)  Great watch, 9/10.

See, I was under the impression that you, much like me, would also like this anime.
I still don't know why I like it, though.

Kokoro Connect is beautiful. I actually don't know anybody who's watched it who didn't like it. My favorite part is that it has good, medium-length plot arcs which get completely, satisfyingly resolved, but throughout them it's also advancing the characters and their relationships.

I will take this opportunity to once again lament the fact that the light novels aren't getting officially translated...

I watched all of Nisemonogatari in one day yesterday (hush, you frequent marathoners; that's a lot for me). I think my brain turned to mush. Nisemonogatari didn't leave quite as much of an impression on me as Bakemonogatari. Perhaps the arcs were a little too long this time, or maybe it was just not as charming since it wasn't constantly introducing lovable new main characters, but it was still great. The little sisters were fabulous, the fanservice was intense (especially Twister and the teeth brushing), and I really liked the vibe surrounding the conclusion of the last arc (phoenix).

Will definitely watch more, but for now, I need to watch something different. Thinking of picking up Maria the Virgin Witch, which, despite the worst title of all time and despite my having only heard of it once, comes highly recommended by that single person, whose taste I trust.

Edited by Fred the Barber

5 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

Will definitely watch more, but for now, I need to watch something different. Thinking of picking up Maria the Virgin Witch, which, despite the worst title of all time and despite my having only heard of it once, comes highly recommended by that single person, whose taste I trust.

Oh, I really liked that one. I very much do love myself one hell of a powerful idealist, and the ending was fantastic.

I finished watching Simoun this week, really loved it. Didn't think I'd see an anime with so much dedication to its characters.

From the first episode, it looks like some strange fantasy series with yuri tied into it, but it actually turns out to be a really memorable and well thought out show. Without spoiling anything, the characters, drama, and setting all played huge parts in the story. Now it feels pretty homey reviewing the show and noticing details the second time around.

Edited by Chronopolis

7 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

I watched all of Nisemonogatari in one day yesterday (hush, you frequent marathoners; that's a lot for me). I think my brain turned to mush. Nisemonogatari didn't leave quite as much of an impression on me as Bakemonogatari. Perhaps the arcs were a little too long this time, or maybe it was just not as charming since it wasn't constantly introducing lovable new main characters, but it was still great. The little sisters were fabulous, the fanservice was intense (especially Twister and the teeth brushing), and I really liked the vibe surrounding the conclusion of the last arc (phoenix).

I've enjoyed all the -monogataris, but I understand what you say about there needing to be gaps between watching them. They reach saturation point after a while.

Maria was a real surprise. Looked and sounded really stupid but watching it was a real pleasure and it was self-contained, complete and satisfying.

Oh, hey, two more people with reliably good taste suggesting Maria. Well, that's a good sign.

I actually did watch the first episode of it last night, and I'm really looking forward to the rest of it now. I'm on the fence about the art style, but everything else is looking really good so far, especially, of course, Maria.