What Anime are you watching now?

Ryoji

7 hours ago, john 'mr. customer' smith said:

i started the obligatory ghibli marathon a few days ago. oddly enough, grave of fireflies didn't make me cry, but my neighbor totoro did. i wonder what that says about me

Totoro never did much for me, for some reason. But I have weird Ghibli movie preferences in general - I don't especially care for Spirited Away either, but Kiki's Delivery Service made my heart sing.

On 7/2/2016 at 5:51 AM, Tiagofvarela said:

Got to episode 19 of Golden Time. Can now confirm I'd recommend it. I can also confirm some characters show pretty unlikeable sides sometimes, nobody's perfect, and I like that.

Addendum: After finishing it it is worthy of note that for a series full of drama I liked it surprisingly lot. That ending, however... Thank god I'm all for that sort of thing. 9/10

Glad you liked it after (I believe) my recommendation. I'm a sucker for a satisfying completely unambiguous romantic ending without the usual tropes and Yui Horie being VA was a complete surprise for me since she's doing less and less lead romantic roles these days so it may well be one of her last "young" romantic heroine roles. I absolutely adore her work and love any voice acting she does. I found GT very satisfying on so many levels, and my wife enjoyed it too.

Finished both seasons of Owari no seraph, had quite a blast, though season 2 was way more intense and interesting plot wise, though they made it seem gay...especially in season 2...which was awkard as hell while watching through it,but besides that its a good action shounen with a lot of blood and fighting. The animation and music were superb,excellent quality, but the plot was a little cliche(being shounene), it was good, but I was expecting a lot more,could have been better. Watching Shimoneta, and this is just absolutely hilarious, though its filled with so much profanity and obscenity, and thats what the show is focused on though, 10/10 would recommend. 

I'm in an anime slump at the moment. I can't get into anything and nothing seems interesting. Hopefully Magi could change that. Two seasons exist and a third is coming next anime season. I think it is around 72 episodes totally. Which is perfect. I tend to dislike everything with only 12 episodes. It has to be 24 minimum.

3 hours ago, ittaku said:

Started watching Kaleido Star in an attempt to recreate the magic of Cross Game. It's not quite as good as cross game but it's still so engaging I'm having marathon sessions and will watch all 51 episodes in no time... Not many shows have that quality that makes you smile so much while watching them.

When did Kaleido Star get good for you? I watched an episode or two of it a long while back and was just kind of puzzled; I didn't get the appeal. Maybe I should give it another shot and watch for a bit longer?

Although, since you mention it, I should really watch Cross Game first, since I'm 99% sure I'm going to love it whenever I finally get around to trying it.

9 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

When did Kaleido Star get good for you? I watched an episode or two of it a long while back and was just kind of puzzled; I didn't get the appeal. Maybe I should give it another shot and watch for a bit longer?

Although, since you mention it, I should really watch Cross Game first, since I'm 99% sure I'm going to love it whenever I finally get around to trying it.

I quite liked KS right from the start - in that "makes you smile" kind of way. I'm a sucker for well executed feel-good shows. But by no means did I feel the urge to watch many episodes in a row back then. The show grew gradually on me after that and probably started watching long stretches of episodes in the last arc of season 1 (up to  episode 26). The first season everything goes well and is an easy watch. The second season has a lot more drama and new rivals which is initially irritating but like any well-executed storyline, that drama serves as a counterpoint for character development and it pulls it off really well. Ironically the irritating rivals made me start marathoning as nothing makes me happier than watch the heroine win (I'm a sucker for good endings no matter how obvious they are, provided they're pulled off well). The second season doesn't remotely go the way I expected.

EDIT: Finished it. It was excellent by the end and well worth the journey. Highly recommended.

As for Cross Game - anyone who's lived a life without watching this series has missed out. After I made my wife watch it, we hadn't even finished the series (50 episodes) and she asked if we could rewatch it immediately after the first viewing.

Now watching Natsume Yuujinchou. It rated really well, especially in the later seasons so I'm hopeful. So far it's been good and seems to be improving, though I doubt it's something I'd bother rewatching with my wife. Hard to find things that tick boxes for both of us (like Kaleido Star did which I'm rewatching with my wife currently now).

I don't get it. One hour ago I really wanted to look an anime with action and choosed Chrno Crusade because I remember watching it a bit as a child and liking it. So I started the episode and thoroughly enjoyed the opening but one minute later I got an unresistable urge to re-watch K-On! and was immediately hooked.

It seriously makes me wonder how my brain works :shrug:

43 minutes ago, Seth said:

I don't get it. One hour ago I really wanted to look an anime with action and choosed Chrno Crusade because I remember watching it a bit as a child and liking it. So I started the episode and thoroughly enjoyed the opening but one minute later I got an unresistable urge to re-watch K-On! and was immediately hooked.

It seriously makes me wonder how my brain works :shrug:

You function on random whims. We're of the same kind.

This is all perfectly ordinary: it's actually always the right time to be (re-)watching K-On!

I'm almost through My Little Monster. It honestly turned into quite a disappointment after the first two episodes. What I had thought was real progress quickly got reset, and then it turned into a pretty typical high school rom-com story. Granted, the characters are still operating at a way more interesting level than a typical high school rom-com anime, but I was really hoping for more from this one after those first two episodes looked so magical. Oh well.

Screening the following shows now that I haven't seen that may make it to the wife-watch list.

Natsume Yuujinchou

Seto no Hanayome

Bamboo Blade

Usagi Drop

Shirobako

Haikyuu

Mouretsu Uchuu Kaizoku

Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou

EDIT: I should make a list of what has been successful to watch with my wife already.

1 hour ago, ittaku said:

Screening the following shows now that I haven't seen that may make it to the wife-watch list.

Natsume Yuujinchou

Seto no Hanayome

Bamboo Blade

Usagi Drop

Shirobako

Haikyuu

Mouretsu Uchuu Kaizoku

Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou

EDIT: I should make a list of what has been successful to watch with my wife already.

Usagi Drop is marvelous, and should have exceptionally high Wife Acceptance Factor.

Natsume Yuujinchou, I have mixed feelings about... after each episode was done, I felt that I had really enjoyed it, but somehow it always felt like a chore to start watching the next episode. I think it was just not enough overarching plot for my taste; too episodic. It's a pretty similar story when I watched Kino's Journey, really. I feel like whether you'll enjoy this one is very much a question of whether you like episodic shows, or whether, like me, you require a strong overarching plot.

And... I haven't watched the rest, so, good luck!

Meanwhile, for me: I'm starting to get really annoyed with Nisekoi because nothing ever happens. I might simply drop it right now (I'm ~10 episodes in, I think), but I'll probably watch the remaining episodes and then fume about how nothing ever happens in it for a while, and then move on, hopefully to something that makes progress and has an ending. I like shows with endings.

2 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

Meanwhile, for me: I'm starting to get really annoyed with Nisekoi because nothing ever happens. I might simply drop it right now (I'm ~10 episodes in, I think), but I'll probably watch the remaining episodes and then fume about how nothing ever happens in it for a while, and then move on, hopefully to something that makes progress and has an ending. I like shows with endings.

Thanks. I still enjoyed Nisekoi but I get really annoyed at lack of conclusions in shows and Nisekoi was no exception though evolution does happen... at an excruciatingly slow pace but there's no end in sight for the anime so far... and in fact was about to start writing a thread about something along those lines.

Continuing my back-log clearing even to the anime realm! 

Finished Young Black Jack and Sailor Moon Crystal today, both of which I didn't really want to fuck with. 

Young Black Jack ended up being intriguing, though I feel like the manga would do it more justice. 

Sailor Moon Crystal was just meh'. 

Looking forward to getting my copy of Ghost in The Shell Special Edition DVD  (early 2000's re-release) tomorrow though. 

As much as I enjoyed Brave Beats I very much dislike the fact it has two seasons right now, makes it impossible to clear of MAL as completed :conspiracy: