What Anime are you watching now?

Ryoji

Picked up Gakkougurashi :makina::makina: :sachi:

I read the synopsis, completely forgot about it midway in Ep. 1, then was like "Oh, right..."

Hidden Content

Wait wut. There was an end game plot twist? Tell me!!

Will post a proper misc. thoughts later, but best scene (by far) in the show goes to:

A1NI39i.jpg (1361×763)

4ibm9zc.jpg (1361×757)

Seriously, I cheered like a madman

Picked up Gakkougurashi :makina::makina: :sachi:

I read the synopsis, completely forgot about it midway in Ep. 1, then was like "Oh, right..."

Hidden Content

Wait wut. There was an end game plot twist? Tell me!!

Will post a proper misc. thoughts later, but best scene (by far) in the show goes to:

Hidden Content

I meant the spoiler as a reply to Ep1

Gakkougurashi.

Fk this show, I glanced over the synopsis, completely forgot about it when I finally started watching it a week later thinking it'd be another glorified Kiniro Mosaic / Non Non Biyori SoL-fest, and then get fish slapped at the end of Ep. 1 (okay, my reaction was actually more like "Oh, right". but yeah)

"X character is delusional!@#" plot twists are always fun, makes you want to rewatch the episodes to see all the little subtle clues you missed, I was like "wtf is with Mii-kun just barging into classes" when they were looking for Taroumarou >.>

The mix between SoL and Zombie/Horror is cool, I tend to want my SoL nowadays to be more than just plain SoL. Unfortunately though it wasn't reallybalanced; more like 80% SoL and 20% zombie, so the pacing feels nasty especially when Zombie Megu-nee is previewed in like Ep. 7 but you have to wait until like Ep. 10 for the drama to actually happen.

Speaking of Megu-nee, although my reaction to Ep. 1's twist was halfhearted since we all kinda knew what we were getting into if we did our homework, the "Megu-nee's already dead!@#" reveal hit me like a truck. Seriously wanted to rewatch the whole thing up to that point just to see all the subtleties I missed out on. The other characters acting like she was still alive to cater to Yuki certainly didn't help, either.

As Ceris mentioned earlier, the last 3ish episodes are gold. There were many emotions to be had and tensions were high, making me stay up an hour and thirty minutes later than usual that night because I just couldn't stop watching, favorite scenes include:

Hit the damn spoiler button again cuz idk how to get rid of it without ganking the entire formatting I already have set up

Oh shit, Kurumi vs. Zombarou Tombarou

afps9bO.png (640×357)

YO JUST KILL THE F***ING MUTT!@#

OH SHIT pt.2, KURUMI VS. ZOMBIMEGU-NEE!@#

9UFeA3b.png (640×356)

YO JUST KILL THE F***ING- Wait, actually, I forgive you for BSODing, ain't nobody gonna have the courage to kill this:

k0TNuRh.png (640×355)

Ooops I mean

UN1duRW.png (640×357)

:wub: 

:vinty:

Yuki, the Keyblade Master!

BLDWX9q.png (640×356)

Gotta admit, she looks damn good w' a shovel.

To Kill, or not to Kill: the Infected Promise

Ye iknow, that was a lameass title, sorrz

gfSFGFA.png (640×355)

TcfmEmc.png (640×351)

Really enjoyed how the calm and composed president of the School Living Club battled with her emotions during these tense moments.

Though, I swear, if she actually killed Kurumi and then Mii-kun brought back the cure all for naught that would've been the best fail tragedy to make me ragequit life.

RIP Megu-nee (again):

vjwmwsa.png (640×357)

A bit salty that she couldn't be saved, but alas.... RIP best teacher 2015

Best Girl Lives

4OVF4yl.png (640×355)

If you didn't realize by now, Kurumi is my favorite character in this show. I had to refrain from screaming with joy since it was like 3AM for me

The Death of the Protagonist

PdzwA5y.png (640×352)

DYnP8Ih.png (640×355)

Alot of Taroumarou haters cry about how much screentime this dog gets that they joke he's the star of the show. They are right.

Tying up Loose Ends

JhFAGUQ.png (640×356)

xANjHUZ.png (640×356)

Season 2 Pls

You like how I didn't have commentary above for Kei? :makina:

UDVMVWZ.png (640×354)

Anyways, the whole graduation scene was excellent way to end this anime on the happy feels~~

9/10.

TL;DR (not really):

ONWDBHEl.jpg (640×291)

The pacing is really the worst part about Gakkougurashi, the anime fucked up big time on that front, especially with that episode 9, seriously all the tension was destroyed by then, and the fact it spent so much time fucking around when it could have included several important scenes instead really left a butter taste in my mouth.

I'm also saddened the last episodes did not follow the manga and skipped rather important scenes that happened in the original tha hinted at the overarching plot, which was a real shame.

I would say it's sub part in comparison to the original just because it skips so many interesting scenes and focuses too heavily on the fluff. 

The best episode in the show imo was Megu-nee's past arc which isn't in the manga and really gives you a lot of insight on what happened.

Re:Gakkougurashi

When she was contemplating whether or not to kill Kurumi, I was screaming "please god no!" the entire time. My mind literally went into worse case scenario, where Miki actually manages to get the medicine and Yuuri has already killed Kurumi. It then went even further and said, "everyone's going to die."

Kurumi is going to fully transform and kill Yuuri. Miki is going to get bitten while getting the medicine. Yuki is still in the room where Miki left her and the zombies end up bursting into the room as the last scene of the show.
Thank god that didn't happen, because I would have been screwed beyond belief for my midterm the next day.

Gakkougurashi.

Hidden Content

TL;DR (not really):

ONWDBHEl.jpg (640×291)

Megu-nee stuff completely mindfucked me. I was questioning it every episode, and even when clues were given, I found some other reason to believe she wasn't dead. My friend originally thought she was dead but then got so convinced he was wrong that it completely caught him off guard to learn the truth. 

Taroumarou's death... I cried so hard.

Started watching A Lull in the Sea. It's very pretty, and interesting enough to keep me watching. I'm only 3 episodes in so I haven't formed any particularly strong opinions yet, except that the first ED is particularly lovely (both the music and the video).

The second half of that anime is extremely good. The first half was good, but the second half blew me away. Also, the ending is yanaginagi, she's just stupendous at singing :sachi: 

Started watching A Lull in the Sea. It's very pretty, and interesting enough to keep me watching. I'm only 3 episodes in so I haven't formed any particularly strong opinions yet, except that the first ED is particularly lovely (both the music and the video).

The second half of that anime is extremely good. The first half was good, but the second half blew me away. Also, the ending is yanaginagi, she's just stupendous at singing :sachi: 

I'm through 8 episodes now, and it's starting to get much more interesting. After the last episode I watched, I flipped through the art book briefly until I came to an older version of a character, and then I slammed it shut, thinking "Spoilers!". I'm much more excited now; it seems like the very idea of a big time gap in any story is very, very appealing to me, especially when I feel attached to those characters (it almost certainly helps that Chisaki was that character, and that she's the one I'm most attached to right now).

There's something intriguing about seeing well-established, interesting characters set on a path to change, and then also getting to see those changes fully-realized, while still allowing a large enough passage of time to make it believable. The words aren't coming out quite right, but maybe someone else feels the same way and can say it better.

Edit: In my rush to finish before leaving my place for a week, I watched the remaining 18 episodes in the last 24 hours. It was fantastic, and Ceris, you're totally right that while the first half was good, the second half was absolutely amazing. The feels here are real.

Edited by Fred the Barber

Currently watching the Break Blade movies. Just finished the 5th movie and I'm going to watch the final one later. This series is just a ton of fun to watch. The mech battles are great and the music hypes you up during the battles. I love how all the mechs have nicks and scratches all over them showing how much battle they've been in.

After I finish the final movie I'll probably jump straight into the manga. Hoping it has more interaction between Rygart and Sigyn, and more character development in general.

I'm literally SUPER slow when it comes to anime. The only time I watched an anime in season and on time was when AOT came out. :/ I'm currently watching Psycho Pass Extended Dub (Season 1). It's really good. I forgot what episode I'm on, though. 6 or 7. I kind of dislike the main character.

I'm through 8 episodes now, and it's starting to get much more interesting. After the last episode I watched, I flipped through the art book briefly until I came to an older version of a character, and then I slammed it shut, thinking "Spoilers!". I'm much more excited now; it seems like the very idea of a big time gap in any story is very, very appealing to me, especially when I feel attached to those characters (it almost certainly helps that Chisaki was that character, and that she's the one I'm most attached to right now).

There's something intriguing about seeing well-established, interesting characters set on a path to change, and then also getting to see those changes fully-realized, while still allowing a large enough passage of time to make it believable. The words aren't coming out quite right, but maybe someone else feels the same way and can say it better.

Edit: In my rush to finish before leaving my place for a week, I watched the remaining 18 episodes in the last 24 hours. It was fantastic, and Ceris, you're totally right that while the first half was good, the second half was absolutely amazing. The feels here are real.

One little thing I really liked about Nagi no Asukara is that there were hints that shit was going to go down. In the first ED, one of the lines roughly translates to "there's shit in the water". And then there was the hourglass and the glowing little flakes in the ED as well.

I absolutely loved the show. The feels were indeed real.

One little thing I really liked about Nagi no Asukara is that there were hints that shit was going to go down. In the first ED, one of the lines roughly translates to "there's shit in the water". And then there was the hourglass and the glowing little flakes in the ED as well.

Yeah, there were appropriate amounts of foreshadowing as well as actual plot all throughout the first half, which managed to make for an interesting show in its own right, as well as a great setup for the perfect second half. The second OP has a few moments that astound me with how perfectly they communicate the feelings of the characters through body language. Every time this image popped up, I just wanted to cry for every single one of them:

nagiasu1.jpg

Yeah, there were appropriate amounts of foreshadowing as well as actual plot all throughout the first half, which managed to make for an interesting show in its own right, as well as a great setup for the perfect second half. The second OP has a few moments that astound me with how perfectly they communicate the feelings of the characters through body language. Every time this image popped up, I just wanted to cry for every single one of them:

Hidden Content

Glad you both loved the anime. The first half was indeed a perfect setup for the stupendous second half to the anime. I loved that every character had their place and purpose in the anime, and all the relationships between characters weren't simple, but nicely fleshed out. I loved so many of the characters, and it was so interesting to see how things turned out with such an unusual situation in the second half. 

Started watching A Lull in the Sea. It's very pretty, and interesting enough to keep me watching. I'm only 3 episodes in so I haven't formed any particularly strong opinions yet, except that the first ED is particularly lovely (both the music and the video). <- ?????????? I DID NOT SAY THIS

Because apparently some nub couldn't quote and somehow made me say what Fred originally said <_<

~~
Good to hear you were able to enjoy the latter half. I remember watching it, commenting, and getting bombarded with "2ND HALF SUCKS, 2 MUCH DRAMA" 

I'll admit my annoyance trigger was...stimulated... quite well sometimes but overall 'tis an enjoyable show.

I just finished Rokka no Yuusha, and it was a blast,first 2 or so episodes were kind of boring, but then it picked up and got me hooked,plot was really intense, and i had the right guess,but that ending just made me so mad, why the hell did they have to do that....just why...

Why would you just add another one again!! SERIOUSLY? I would have been content with the 6 heroes going and fighting the demon god.

besides that, it was a pretty good battle of the wits and well done.  The setting was a little mashed together...Aztec/Mayan culture mixed with magic and science,pretty unique, since its usually medieval setting with magic and science.

Watching Magi Season one, I know that its going to be really good, but i'v never started it for some reason,but it saved the day when I'm out of stuff to watch

Edited by sub-zer0

• 2 weeks later...

as a person that rarely watches anime I decided to start watching a reboot of the 70s anime cutie honey called re:cutie honey.

And OMFG its funny as hell and over the top and one of the animees that uses fanservice while being totally aware that its one of the main components of the anime thus making it noncringy and funny, its like a crossover of a tarantino movie and over the top action animes like dead leaves.

Also the OP which I linked in the "what are you listening to now " thread is awesome. Its multiple rendition all sounds like silly upbeat james bond themes and some of them has even been featured on japanese MTV. Not only that but its one of the grandfathers of magical girl animes, way way before stuff like sailor moon popularized it as a shoujo trope

I watched all of I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying over the last week. It was a lot of fun, and pleasantly different both in tone and characters from what I'm used to watching. I think I only understood maybe 10% of the otaku references, but they were neither especially important nor annoying to miss, just meriting a little extra chuckle when I got them. I didn't realize before I started that, though there are two seasons of 13 episodes each, the episodes are very short (maybe 4 or 5 minutes?), so it was a very quick watch. Definitely recommended if you're looking for some pleasant comedy to fill the time, especially if you're looking for something with adult characters.

After that was done, I picked up Yona of the Dawn, which so far is great. I'm maybe 7 episodes in, and really enjoying the setting, visuals, plot, characters, and voice acting (Yona's seiyuu, especially, is fantastic; and to be clear, I'm watching the sub). It made me realize that I don't see all that many anime in a fantasy setting these days, which I miss. Most of what I watch ends up being roughly in the present, or maybe the near future, which is a little less interesting to me. The setting actually has a very similar vibe to Rurouni Kenshin (which, sure, is actually a pseudo-historical setting, but it ends up playing out more like a fantasy setting than anything else, IMO), although everything else is quite different, so don't read too much into that comparison... at any rate, really enjoying it so far, looking forward to more.

Started Fantasista Doll because it looks colorful and Tokui Sora voices a main character in it.

First impressions is that it's basically a more light hearted version of wixoss, except wixoss came after so I guess wixoss is the one who's like Fantasista Doll. It's pretty average overall in terms of plot and animation, but as long as the characters are fun to watch, I won't complain much since I'm pretty bored anyway.

I doubt it'll get really dark like wixoss did, but that's fine, I wanted something easy to watch and this looks like it will keep me entertained for a couple days.

Also yuri.

My only question is why they're all in underwear in their casual clothes, but I'll just leave the answer as "Strike Witches logic".

TL;DR Katia best grill.