Jump to content
Ryoji

What Anime are you watching now?

Recommended Posts

I finished watching Happy Sugar Life and... I'm kind of puzzled how people can enjoy that. I mean, I read what people defending it claim, but I feel like they watched a completely different show. Calling it a psychological anime makes School Days looks like a PhD thesis in psychology. People call it a comedy, but I haven't seen a single trace of genuine humour or self-parody in it. It's not even outlandish or incompetent enough to be "so bad its good", it's just disgustingly stupid. Haven't seen something this alienating and obnoxious since Calamity of the Zombie Girl, which proudly sits as my only 1/10 on MAL. Happy Sugar Life had literally one somewhat believable character (Hida) who I was slightly disturbed to see murdered, thus it's a 2/10. Disgusting trash.

Oh, and I guess it was some visual and sound gimmicks that could be considered marginally interesting if they were used for a better cause. Not good enough to deserve credit with how pathetic the actual substance of it all is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently a BL anime called 'Given', I once read the manga and loved every bit but I never heard it got adapted into an anime so I'm super happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/08/2019 at 8:40 AM, Plk_Lesiak said:

I finished watching Happy Sugar Life and... I'm kind of puzzled how people can enjoy that. I mean, I read what people defending it claim, but I feel like they watched a completely different show. Calling it a psychological anime makes School Days looks like a PhD thesis in psychology. People call it a comedy, but I haven't seen a single trace of genuine humour or self-parody in it. It's not even outlandish or incompetent enough to be "so bad its good", it's just disgustingly stupid. Haven't seen something this alienating and obnoxious since Calamity of the Zombie Girl, which proudly sits as my only 1/10 on MAL. Happy Sugar Life had literally one somewhat believable character (Hida) who I was slightly disturbed to see murdered, thus it's a 2/10. Disgusting trash.

Oh, and I guess it was some visual and sound gimmicks that could be considered marginally interesting if they were used for a better cause. Not good enough to deserve credit with how pathetic the actual substance of it all is.

Edgy trash always gets the attention of uh... attention deficit teenagers. Never fear, this crap will be soon forgotten and anyone who tries to watch it in the years to come will rate it appropriately, as you have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've started watching Takagi-san, as I want to catch up to the second season and finish the whole thing before the fall lineup kicks in. I really like that the show is not just about teasing but have genuine romantic undertones. I often have a bit of a problem when it goes to shows in which characters constantly get embarassed, but it's all clever and lighthearted enough here that so far I never got bothered by it. It also always offers some payoff hinting that Takagi teases the protagonist because she genuinely likes him back, not just to have a laugh at his expense. I just hope that the second season will end with a slightly stronger romantic note, but it's also fun and clever enough that I won't be horribly bothered if it doesn't - it's basic rountine is just that good, so if the writing doesn't go to shit, I'll enjoy it all the way through. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

I've started watching Takagi-san, as I want to catch up to the second season and finish the whole thing before the fall lineup kicks in. I really like that the show is not just about teasing but have genuine romantic undertones. I often have a bit of a problem when it goes to shows in which characters constantly get embarassed, but it's all clever and lighthearted enough here that so far I never got bothered by it. It also always offers some payoff hinting that Takagi teases the protagonist because she genuinely likes him back, not just to have a laugh at his expense. I just hope that the second season will end with a slightly stronger romantic note, but it's also fun and clever enough that I won't be horribly bothered if it doesn't - it's basic rountine is just that good, so if the writing doesn't go to shit, I'll enjoy it all the way through. 

Lucky you enjoy it. Whilst the romantic overtones were nice they were too few and I struggled with Takagi and just wanted to throttle the fucking bitch and gave up a few episodes into season 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/2/2019 at 12:13 AM, ittaku said:

Lucky you enjoy it. Whilst the romantic overtones were nice they were too few and I struggled with Takagi and just wanted to throttle the fucking bitch and gave up a few episodes into season 2.

Hah, I wonder how I'll feel about season 2. I just finished Season 1 and the second half of it was quite adorable. It obviously goes overboard with how omnipotent Takagi is (I mean, she's basically less chaotic Joker with better success rate, considering her level of scheming and foresight) and she quite far at times, but... It never felt like it was too much, and I'm actually pretty sensitive when it goes to teasing and constant embarrassment in the things I watch. Last season's Hitoribocchi had that problem, as it kind of repeated the same embarrassing gags over and over again with very little growth from the characters. Here it was a lot more clever and interesting, and quite importantly, Nishikawa was always up for the challenge and the teasing was not only getting him frustrated, but also motivated him to step up his game.

I imagine the problem with Season 2 is that it'll start basically from page 1 and, once more, only get to the fluffy moments around episode 10. But I kind of don't mind? I mean, the payoff of the first season was quite decent. I'd only dislike it if it never made clear that Takagi really likes Nishikata back and didn't make her act on it in some way. If the second season goes just a bit further, it'll still be way less frustrating and inconclusive than 98% of harem anime. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was looking for something good to rewatch with my wife and spotted Kotoura-san and we watched that through. What a great fun show that was. Had a nice balance of (resolving) drama, comedy, light ecchi, and romance. Loved it. It had been so long since I watched it that I'd virtually forgotten what happened. I need to find more gems from the past that I haven't seen in ages instead of watching the vast quantities of new crap that keeps coming out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×