Jump to content

Site Work Failed, But We Didn't Die

Ugh. Still more roadblocks. Need to get an as-yet unknown password from Nay in order to get this sucker changed. For now, please enjoy the mess of a forums we've got, and dream of the forums we will probably never one day have.

< 3 - Tay

You can dismiss this alert by clicking on the "X" button

Ryoji

What Anime are you watching now?

Recommended Posts

Actually, now that I think about it, Goku also wasn't terribly popular with the people of Earth, either, as is showcased in his fight against Kid Buu. In the end, he had to rely on Hercule in order to get the energy he needed to win the fight.

6 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

Saitama only gets treated like crap by the "public", kind of as a denouncement of the superhero culture and society.

Yeah, I think you've got a better interpretation of the public opinion aspect than I do. One other detail I picked up from SEW's video (at 23:35) is that the author might actually have a real connection to the protagonist due to how his art might have been received (before Murata started drawing it, that is).

22 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

Again, OPM really isn't some super deep woke show, but it certainly has a bunch of interesting messages and ideas (and Saitama gets treated very nicely by those around him).

Yeah, I don't disagree with you here. OPM isn't a shallow anime, but it's not the most thought-provoking either. The reason I cherish this anime as much as I do is that it hits all the right cords with me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Kenshin_sama said:

Yeah, I think you've got a better interpretation of the public opinion aspect than I do. One other detail I picked up from SEW's video (at 23:35) is that the author might actually have a real connection to the protagonist due to how his art might have been received (before Murata started drawing it, that is).

That would make sense. I know I probably wouldn't be above passing over his original work due to the art.

7 hours ago, Kenshin_sama said:

Yeah, I don't disagree with you here. OPM isn't a shallow anime, but it's not the most thought-provoking either. The reason I cherish this anime as much as I do is that it hits all the right cords with me.

Same. I believe I have it on an 8/10 on MAL purely because of its amazing polish (especially the animation), how entertaining it is and the couple strong messages/themes it has going for it. It falls short of excellence as it's also a short anime and can't explore much more, and doesn't even try to do that to begin with. But there's certainly a reason it's catalogued as a seinen, and not a shonen.

13 hours ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Yeah, I wouldn't disagree with any of the points you made, that is why I still rate it highly. I guess I just hoped for it to genuinely surprise me in some ways and after it established its formula, there wasn't anything truly new or different happening with it. It's all well-crafted and fun, but I feel it'd need a lot more to be a serious contender for a 10/10 rating, which so many people give to it.

People are just horrible at rating anime (/anything). OPM was a hype machine from beginning to end, so people just gave it a 10/10 because "man, it's soooo awesome".

Edited by Jun Inoue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just finished both seasons of Chuunibyou demo koi ga shitai, now there's movie left - I'll probably watch it today.

For now I have to say, that I absolutely loved first season, and while second was a bit weaker, it certainly wasn't a disaster some reviewers made it out to be.

Edited by adamstan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today I watched Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Movie: Take On Me, thus completing the show. @ittaku was 100% right - it gives very nice conclusion to the series, and definitely puts the whole show on the list of "anime with satisfying endings". Very nice tale about love and growing up. I liked it about as much as Toradora! - which it resembled to me a bit.

9/10

(1st season - 9, 2nd season - 8, movie - 9 - and when considered as a whole - 9)

 

 

Edited by adamstan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, today I'm going all oldschool again (although this time I jump into '90s, not '80s), and starting Magic Knight Rayearth:D

 

I don't think it will be able to surpass Sailor Moon, but should be fun nevertheless. I've already listened to soundtrack many times, and it's one of my anime OST favorites (together with aforementioned SM ;))

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched Sukitte Ii Na yo - Say I love you. This was a little gem of a romance that somehow had flown under my radar till now. It was clearly shoujo romance which seems to always be more satisfying than anything written for boys. The latter half wasn't quite as good as the first half, with lots of convenient stereotypical resolutions to the various dramas but it was still a delight to watch and ultimately satisfying. 8/10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ittaku said:

I watched Sukitte Ii Na yo - Say I love you. This was a little gem of a romance that somehow had flown under my radar till now. It was clearly shoujo romance which seems to always be more satisfying than anything written for boys. The latter half wasn't quite as good as the first half, with lots of convenient stereotypical resolutions to the various dramas but it was still a delight to watch and ultimately satisfying. 8/10

I don't remember a lot of detail of this show, but I do remember thoroughly enjoying it back when I watched it. It had a pretty different feel from most stuff I'd seen before, but in retrospect, that may have been because I just wasn't exposed to much shoujo romance at the time. But regardless, it was good stuff. Also, I'm 100% with you on shoujo romance being more satisfying than boy-targeted stuff. I should really go out of my way to watch more shoujo stuff...

Me, I've been watching Kill La Kill recently, and I'm sorely disappointed in all the people who thought it was cool to hate on a fantastic show like this back in the day, since they managed to scare me away from watching it for a long time, until a friend asked me to watch it with him while he's rewatching it. We're currently a little over halfway through and both having a wonderful time with it. It's chock-full of exactly the right kind of insanity to push my buttons, from the premise to the plot to the execution. I definitely would not have enjoyed watching something this unapologetically horny a few years ago, and I can't help wondering if I wouldn't have been right there on the "eww" train with people, but today, I am absolutely here for the whole package Kill La Kill has to offer.

Also worth mentioning is that Kill La Kill has literally the best subs I've ever seen (the official ones on crunchyroll). They are consistent, and consistently delightful, full of fun and spirit and a little edge of sauciness. I can't get enough of them. I dream of doing work this good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

Me, I've been watching Kill La Kill recently, and I'm sorely disappointed in all the people who thought it was cool to hate on a fantastic show like this back in the day, since they managed to scare me away from watching it for a long time, until a friend asked me to watch it with him while he's rewatching it. We're currently a little over halfway through and both having a wonderful time with it. It's chock-full of exactly the right kind of insanity to push my buttons, from the premise to the plot to the execution. I definitely would not have enjoyed watching something this unapologetically horny a few years ago, and I can't help wondering if I wouldn't have been right there on the "eww" train with people, but today, I am absolutely here for the whole package Kill La Kill has to offer.

Also worth mentioning is that Kill La Kill has literally the best subs I've ever seen (the official ones on crunchyroll). They are consistent, and consistently delightful, full of fun and spirit and a little edge of sauciness. I can't get enough of them. I dream of doing work this good.

Hmm I seriously need to rewatch it. I haven't watched it since it first aired and don't remember much except it being insane and enjoying it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2019 at 11:45 PM, Fred the Barber said:

Me, I've been watching Kill La Kill recently, and I'm sorely disappointed in all the people who thought it was cool to hate on a fantastic show like this back in the day, since they managed to scare me away from watching it for a long time, until a friend asked me to watch it with him while he's rewatching it. We're currently a little over halfway through and both having a wonderful time with it. It's chock-full of exactly the right kind of insanity to push my buttons, from the premise to the plot to the execution. I definitely would not have enjoyed watching something this unapologetically horny a few years ago, and I can't help wondering if I wouldn't have been right there on the "eww" train with people, but today, I am absolutely here for the whole package Kill La Kill has to offer.

Going off my own experience and what I've heard from friends, I think it mostly boils down to expectations. I had the misfortune of going in when the anime first started airing, and it was my greatest pre-season anticipation at the time due to the staff having worked on TTGL. It's been a while since I last watched it, so I can't really recall what it was that put me off, but I remember there being a few annoying quirks that put me in a sour mood.

But who knows, maybe I was being a little harsh at the time. Thinking back, it did have a few standout elements that got me hooked early on, so maybe I'll give it another go eventually. It might help if I judge it by its own merits rather than expecting a TTGL v2. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Other than STPC in which currently at the ninth episode, I binged Daitoshokan at Youtube seeing that we finally got the patch released (Or rather leaked). As for the anime, now that I play the VN a bit farther I can see that the writer did arrange some of the scenes from the VN differently in the anime. Also the ending was quite inconclusive with Kakei didn't get to ended up with one of the girls, but I guess we better leave that for the VN here. In summary, the anime is good if you didn't want to play the VN because at least it describe the baseline of the story. If anything, at least the ending is not as ridiculous as Yoake's anime version in which the MC dead and resurrected by the alien (Not to mention rebellion plot in which it didn't exist in the VN, and no I didn't make this up about the alien).

Edited by littleshogun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aaand, before I ever knew it, I finished second season of MKR :o (全部を見てしまった , I guess? ;) )

While most reviews rate it lower than the first, for me actually it scored higher. While with first season I went at pretty slow pace, due to its episodic nature (except for the final 4 or 5 episodes), almost every episode of second season ended with a some kind of cliffhanger, so I just HAD to see what happens next. It was quite intense, and much darker than most of the first season. Of course, it's still pretty, how to say it, naive? But I'm OK with it.

 

Loved the music - actually you can see the tape I made with selected songs from it in my avatar (alongside with Sailor Moon and Slayers ones).

And combination of isekai, magical girls and mecha fights was rather interesting one :)

Overally - I'm certainly not disappointed. I'd still put SM a bit higher, but this was good too.

 

I think that next I'm going for some romcom again ;) LovelyComplex maybe?

 

EDIT:

I just found out that Chizeta twin princessess were voiced by my two favourite seiyuu - Kikuko Inoue and Aya Hisakawa. I knew they sounded familiar - especially Tatra, voiced by "onee-chan" :D

Edited by adamstan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel weird writing third post in a row, but whatever... :P

Yesterday I finished watching Lovely★Complex.

It was great - my first thought was "a bit like Toradora! but reversed" ;) But that's only when it comes to characters' height - and inital premise.

Comedic parts were really funny, at least for me, and romance aspect was interesting as well - about difficult transition from friends to lovers.

Beginning was hilarious, it sagged a bit in the middle, but then regained traction around ep 16-17, and ran towards quite satisfying ending.

Art was, well, wouldn't call it beautiful, but it worked.

8/10, very enjoyable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, adamstan said:

I feel weird writing third post in a row, but whatever... :P

It simply means this is an exclusive thread, only for the best among Fuwans. The fact the dirty masses don't post in it only makes it that much better. You should be proud of your contributions. :meguface:

---------------------------------

Anyway, looking for mindless entertainment after a particularly tedious week I've started watching Kore wa Zombie Desu ka and uhhhmmm... Well, if surely excels in being random, but I'm not sure if any anime I've seen so far managed to do this little when it goes to plot. Authors apparently assumed that being wacky is enough for a comedy harem anime, and any kind of substance is optional....

...and considering how relatively high the MAL rating for it is, I guess they were right. But I really enjoy these shows a lot more if they add some kind of stakes or at least consistent worldbuilding to the mix. Even utter-trash shows like the Smartphone isekai had a bit of that. You could argue this just aims to be a pure parody anime, spoofing fantasy action shows... But I don't find it funny enough to accept that as a proper justification. But, maybe I'm just weird. 6/10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just watched the 2nd Heaven's Feel movie...and wow. It is exquisite. Superb. Awesome. Splendid visuals. Also...the way Sakura was rendered in a certain scene, well, lets just say that kind of appeal at that kind of proximity in real life you'd explode. Just off the charts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2019 at 9:48 AM, Plk_Lesiak said:

Anyway, looking for mindless entertainment after a particularly tedious week I've started watching Kore wa Zombie Desu ka and uhhhmmm... Well, if surely excels in being random, but I'm not sure if any anime I've seen so far managed to do this little when it goes to plot. Authors apparently assumed that being wacky is enough for a comedy harem anime, and any kind of substance is optional....

...and considering how relatively high the MAL rating for it is, I guess they were right. But I really enjoy these shows a lot more if they add some kind of stakes or at least consistent worldbuilding to the mix. Even utter-trash shows like the Smartphone isekai had a bit of that. You could argue this just aims to be a pure parody anime, spoofing fantasy action shows... But I don't find it funny enough to accept that as a proper justification. But, maybe I'm just weird. 6/10.

Eh, a 7.5 isn't that high for MAL. I'd say the high bar for that site would be more in the 8-8.5 range. And yeah, you're score is not that far off from mine, either. I enjoyed what it had going for it, but it could do with better writing. There is one episode in the sequel that had me nearly dying of laughter though, and I will always appreciate the series for that. :)

Oh and don't bother watching the OVAs unless you're really in the mood for a fanservice shitfest. These OVAs have even less substance than the TV series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I may talk abut MAL score, I would say that it's only useful for determined on how much that the series is accepted. I admit that I did use the score for determined which anime that is good, although using MAL score on PreCure is useless because the series did never got 8 and I know some fans did find low scored PreCure (Such as DDPC and FwPC) were quite good. And besides, 7 is not a bad score anyway seeing that most of VNs did get average score around 7 at VNDB. So if I may set the high bar, 7.5 to 8.5 sounds fine to me although of course some people can find their own gems in the anime that did have score lower than 7.5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, littleshogun said:

If I may talk abut MAL score, I would say that it's only useful for determined on how much that the series is accepted. I admit that I did use the score for determined which anime that is good, although using MAL score on PreCure is useless because the series did never got 8 and I know some fans did find low scored PreCure (Such as DDPC and FwPC) were quite good. And besides, 7 is not a bad score anyway seeing that most of VNs did get average score around 7 at VNDB. So if I may set the high bar, 7.5 to 8.5 sounds fine to me although of course some people can find their own gems in the anime that did have score lower than 7.5.

I take ratings with a grain of salt. I find that lower ratings are generally accurate because I don't think I've ever enjoyed an anime that scored below 6 on MAL, but I tend have a lot of disagreements with anime that perform better on the site. Personally, I think it's because if an anime does more than a few things right, people are gonna find some reason to like it no matter how bad it may turn out (hence creating a source of polarity). But if it fails to do just that, then you won't find very many fans coming to its rescue.

As for Precure, ya know I tried getting into that, but I'm just not terribly sure how to properly get into it. I thought I'd start off with the very first Precure series, but somehow that felt like a mistake. I did find the characters surprisingly likeable and I was willing to stick it out a bit just for them, but the series structure was just too damn redundant for me. I found myself with little to look forward to between each episode because it always delivered the same exact thing every time. There was no continuation from previous episodes, no divergences from the standard routine, no hooks, and no surprises. It was so bland I could barely stand it.

But still, I have recently learned that it's not necessary to watch the series in order by air date, and I can basically just jump into anything that piques my interest. I think I'd much rather do that than to struggle with something I don't like. Would you happen to have any recommendations for me to start off with?

Edited by Kenshin_sama

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I decided to rewatch Princess Tutu, and my god, this anime is good! :kosame: Actually, I remember being completely weirded out and skeptical for the first several episodes when I watched it the first time, but now it actually feels amazing from the very beginning. Definitely a must-watch, unless you have very specific taste in anime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finished Cowboy Bebop earlier today. I really enjoyed it, and I loved the ost too! Yokko Kanno is amazing! 

The ending was really sad though. I felt so bad for Spike and Julia. I can't believe they got killed! 

It was still an excellent anime, and I highly recommend it. 

I will also watch the movie someday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×