What Anime are you watching now?

Ryoji

On 7/24/2018 at 6:49 AM, littleshogun said:

I did watch Tsui no Sora OVA, and it got 10/10 because it managed to blew my mind very much, especially with how expansive their animation was or how deep the storyline is.

Or if you want my very unflattering opinion then yeah it's quite bad, so much that even if someone ignoring (Or willing to) the bad animation on that would still notice it. One of MAL review even say that the developer probably spent only 10 yen to make the animation, which mean that it's quite low budget here. The story itself was pretty just just adapt original Tsui no Sora VN, except it was very rushed for obvious reason (Granted we can't expect much story in low budget H OVA, but still). Oh and the color here is pretty monotone with most focus on green. So in the end, I say that you better watch this if you need something to binge and laugh or very bored, and if you want to understand the story more just play Subahibi or original Tsui no Sora VN if you can read Japan.

Seems like this is next on my list ;)

I've just finished Akashic Records of the Absurdly Long Titles or however it was called, and I have to say I was very satisfied with it. I was looking for a mindless shounen to take my mind of the unbearable heat, which makes my AC-deprived place of residence barely capable of sustaining human life and for the most part, it delivered. I found it funny that after the first episode (which, BTW, is a very shitty opening episode that's pretty much nothing like the rest of the series) the show pretty much only fakes out fanservice and only very vaguely incorporate harem tropes. It's much more about the fights and the protagonist, along with the two main girls really grew on me throughout the various confrontations and life-threatening situations. The first season ends in a somewhat poor moment, without explaining most of the main intrigue, but I've heard the second one is actually coming this year, so I don't think it can be counted as such a big negative.

I summary, I know why people give this show so much crap, but I disagree with the overall ratings - for what it tries to do, it's really quite a good series.

Of course, I'm a connoisseur of crap when it goes to anime, so my assessments are always of dubious value.

On 03/08/2018 at 7:31 AM, Plk_Lesiak said:

I've just finished Akashic Records of the Absurdly Long Titles or however it was called, and I have to say I was very satisfied with it. I was looking for a mindless shounen to take my mind of the unbearable heat, which makes my AC-deprived place of residence barely capable of sustaining human life and for the most part, it delivered. I found it funny that after the first episode (which, BTW, is a very shitty opening episode that's pretty much nothing like the rest of the series) the show pretty much only fakes out fanservice and only very vaguely incorporate harem tropes. It's much more about the fights and the protagonist, along with the two main girls really grew on me throughout the various confrontations and life-threatening situations. The first season ends in a somewhat poor moment, without explaining most of the main intrigue, but I've heard the second one is actually coming this year, so I don't think it can be counted as such a big negative.

I summary, I know why people give this show so much crap, but I disagree with the overall ratings - for what it tries to do, it's really quite a good series.

Of course, I'm a connoisseur of crap when it goes to anime, so my assessments are always of dubious value.

I'm with you, it was watchable fun crap.

I just watched Yakusoku no Nanaya Matsuri AKA Starlight Promises, an ONA. This was quite nicely done as a standlone story that starts out looking supernatural but is actually mostly a scifi drama. It was ruined only by some out of place 3D cgi in one of the pivotal moments in the whole thing but otherwise it was actually very nice and quite moving.

• 1 month later...

Just watched part 13 of Demi-chan wa Kataritai. I had no big expectation on this anime thought it was just gonna be another generic harem school romp,

but ooooohhhh my, was I wrong. This anime is so good! I was seriously surprised in a really good way by this anime.

Hikari, Yukki, Macchi, Satou-sensei and the MC Takahashi-sensei and their trials and tribulations was really heartwarming and likable.

A 8.5 on my rating. Now I need a second season of this anime so come on A1 make it happen

GeyGkoq.jpg

Edited by Thomas

On 09/09/2018 at 12:59 AM, Thomas said:

Just watched part 13 of Demi-chan wa Kataritai. I had no big expectation on this anime thought it was just gonna be another generic harem school romp,

but ooooohhhh my, was I wrong. This anime is so good! I was seriously surprised in a really good way by this anime.

Hikari, Yukki, Macchi, Satou-sensei and the MC Takahashi-sensei and their trials and tribulations was really heartwarming and likable.

A 8.5 on my rating. Now I need a second season of this anime so come on A1 make it happen

Yep, an absolute gem of a slice of life show with characters with great depth to them. Charming is the way I'd describe it.

I've been really slacking off on watching anime for a while now, but I'm trying to get back into it a bit more. I started with one that's been on my backlog for a while, since a friend randomly also said good things to me about it: The World Is Still Beautiful. And it was great! It was a very satisfying romance, and it did my favorite thing (and a very rare thing, at that!) of mostly focusing on what happens after a new couple gets together.

If I could complain a little, I did usually feel like the show didn't have quite enough dramatic tension: I always felt, with any given arc, that I knew how things were going to end up, and indeed I was right. It pretty quickly became clear that apparent villains were just misguided people (sometimes deeply so...) who would inevitably be won over by the slightly-too-perfect main characters after a good talking-to. But despite that, it was still a lovely experience. The highlight was watching the relationship unfold and grow, but a close second was the interesting setting and setup (though it was maybe a bit under-utilized most of the time).

All told, a very pleasant watch. No earth-shattering experiences, no tears, but an enjoyable way to slide back into watching some anime.

Next up on my list is Princess Principal, from another friend's recommendation. Hope it goes well!

Crap, forgot to mention something important: the official Sentai subs for The World Is Still Beautiful were really good! I probably haven't seen anime subs I enjoyed that much since Plastic Memories. Really attentive to flow. If I had to be nitpicky, they did have a tendency to start sentences with "But" when it wasn't appropriate, from time to time... but seriously, everything else was just perfect. Great example of quality localization work, which is sadly as uncommon in anime as it is in VNs.

Aaaand... I started watching Toradora. It's great (I'm after two episodes now). While watching I thought - "Well, that would make nice VN, wouldn't it?" ;) And there actually is Toradora VN, but sadly it's PSP only, while I'm on PC.

Emulators, here I come...

Edited by adamstan

Just finished Gosick. This is a troubled series that took me many goes to get through for various reasons. It gets very high ratings, but I found a lot of the WWI era science fanciful, there were too many virtually supernatural themes to make it feel like a mystery/science thriller, and the mysteries were often too obtuse to make sense even after their resolution. Though it was still a fun ride, with a simply tremendous ending, which is something I value above virtually all else so I certainly don't regret watching it, and it is ultimately a romance of sorts which I always have a soft spot for. The animation quality was certainly a cut above. Ratings seem to hover around the 9/10 range but I still only give it a 7.

Looking for some classic older romances I might have missed, I picked up Rumbling Hearts - Kimi go Nozomu Eien. It was mostly predictable, very slow, melodramatic, and the MC was boring as batshit with the now overworked "nice guy but otherwise useless" personality. Even though it had a happy ending, and people actually have sex in it (unlike most modern romances), it scores too low for me to put it into my ultimately satisfying anime. It's hard to believe it got a 9/10 mode score. For me it's a 6/10 .

2 hours ago, ittaku said:

Looking for some classic older romances I might have missed, I picked up Rumbling Hearts - Kimi go Nozomu Eien. It was mostly predictable, very slow, melodramatic, and the MC was boring as batshit with the now overworked "nice guy but otherwise useless" personality. Even though it had a happy ending, and people actually have sex in it (unlike most modern romances), it scores too low for me to put it into my ultimately satisfying anime. It's hard to believe it got a 9/10 mode score. For me it's a 6/10 .

I think Rumbling Hearts hits a few different notes than most things, and people find it refreshing for that reason. The biggest is surely the fact that things get a bit more "real" than in a typical romance anime, in a variety of ways (the melodrama and the sex, particularly, in your terms). I'm a fan of it, and if we do see a localization of the game someday, I'll be grabbing it immediately... but in the meantime, there's always Muv-Luv.

"Rumbling Hearts" is on my romance-to-watch list. I wonder how will I find it...

In the meantime I finished "Toradora!". It was amazing for me, 9/10 - it had great comedy in the first half, some drama and feels in the second, great characters, who managed to escape their stereotypes and have some nice development... really, I had nothing to complain about it and totally enjoyed it. Taiga joins my tsundere-top-list, together with Kotori Habane (Konosora) and Mirai Mochizuki Ichinose (Koiiro) ;)

Edited by adamstan
messed up Mirai's family name

5 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

I think Rumbling Hearts hits a few different notes than most things, and people find it refreshing for that reason. The biggest is surely the fact that things get a bit more "real" than in a typical romance anime, in a variety of ways (the melodrama and the sex, particularly, in your terms). I'm a fan of it, and if we do see a localisation of the game someday, I'll be grabbing it immediately... but in the meantime, there's always Muv-Luv.

Yeah I don't know why, but nothing seemed to click. I just couldn't care less about any of the main characters... I didn't mind watching it, I just didn't really feel anything for any of them. Being different is perfectly fine but if I can't empathise with any of the characters, I don't get anything out of it. Compare it to, for example, White Album 2, which has some similar themes where I absolutely hated how it ended because it didn't have my favourite nice happy ending for everyone, but I felt so much more for the characters and was suitably shattered.

1 hour ago, adamstan said:

In the meantime I finished "Toradora!". It was amazing for me, 9/10 - it had great comedy in the first half, some drama and feels in the second, great characters, who managed to escape their stereotypes and have some nice development... really, I had nothing to complain about it and totally enjoyed it. Taiga joins my tsundere-top-list, together with Kotori Habane (Konosora) and Mirai Mochizuki (Koiiro) ;)

Toradora is fantastic. It's so good that it's beyond that point where people like it - they hate it because it's so good that the popular opinion can't possibly be right. No, the characters are great, the romance is very different, and it has some absolutely magic moments that it'd be hard not to feel anything while watching it. Some scenes still make me catch my breath today. Flawed characters? Who cares when that's what makes the show. But like everything, it either works for you or it doesn't, and Toradora is exactly the opposite of what I just watched.

7 hours ago, ittaku said:

Toradora is exactly the opposite of what I just watched.

Ah, so that's how it is. Maybe it was "mistake" to watch such good series as one of my first ;) But at the same time I got really curious about that "Kimi ga nozomu eien" - probably won't watch it immediately, but it sits somewhere on the list.

For now I'm thinking about either "Hachimitsu to Clover" or "Maison Ikkoku". Or maybe "School Rumble"?

1 hour ago, adamstan said:

For now I'm thinking about either "Hachimitsu to Clover" or "Maison Ikkoku". Or maybe "School Rumble"?

I've seen (or tried to watch) all of them. Those three are very different from each other, and none are as satisfying as Toradora. Hachimitsu to Clover is one of those meandering angsty romance shows where no one ever gets what they want or need. Maison Ikkoku is a classic romantic comedy that moves at a glacial pace by today's standards before a final extraordinarily satisfying finish after 96 episodes. School rumble is pure no-progress situation romantic comedy.

1 minute ago, ittaku said:

Maison Ikkoku is a classic romantic comedy that moves at a glacial pace by today's standards before a final extraordinarily satisfying finish after 96 episodes.

Well, with so many episodes no wonder it's slow ;) But slow pace in itself isn't a problem for me, so maybe I'll go with it now - especially since you say that ending is great. I've made it through 200 episodes of "Sailor Moon" (and enjoyed it :D) so 96 is nothing ;)

36 minutes ago, adamstan said:

Well, with so many episodes no wonder it's slow ;) But slow pace in itself isn't a problem for me, so maybe I'll go with it now - especially since you say that ending is great. I've made it through 200 episodes of "Sailor Moon" (and enjoyed it :D) so 96 is nothing ;)

If you scroll back a few pages on this thread (maybe somewhere in the last 20?) I actually have a full review of Maison Ikkoku.

25 minutes ago, ittaku said:

If you scroll back a few pages on this thread (maybe somewhere in the last 20?) I actually have a full review of Maison Ikkoku.

Yeah, found it, and while searching for it, I stumbled upon your mention of Ranma1/2, which also looks like funny thing to watch - on the list it goes :D