Ryoji

What Anime are you watching now?

Watching Boku no Hero. Tried to give Mahou Shoujo Ore, but...meh. It's outrageous, but the jokes faded kind of fast for me. Towards episode 2, I was thinking "OF COURSE they would do that." Felt like they were going down a checklist of common tropes, checking them off going "Yep. Let's do this but in an unusual way." Not entirely the wrong way to go about things, but it just felt sort of gimmicky. 

I really want to see another season of One Punch Man or Mob Psycho 100 =_=;;; (ffs, no more Yowapedal)

Currently juggling JJBA Part 4, Yuru Camp, and The Ancient Magus' Bride.

And by juggle I mean I watch a few episodes in one sitting and then totally forget about it until several months later. :makina:

5 hours ago, Pomelo said:

The Ancient Magus' Bride.

How is it? I watched the first few episodes but they were such tearjerkers. Does Chi...fuuuu, forgot her name, but does she actually fall in love with the Magus dude-guy?

Deciding to finally put my Crunchyroll app to use and have been watching the following:

Gintama:

Watched up to episode 11 and I have to say this series is growing on me. While not as laugh out loud funny as Gabriel Dropout, I do like the group dynamic of the central cast and the Shinsengumi are pretty funny too.

Lupin III (first series):

Watched up to episode 3 and I am liking it so far. I admit I am mainly liking it for how 70s it feels, especially the opening. I'll admit episode 3 was a little on the weak side, like it tried to do two much in one single episode. Also...

Spoiler

There's a character that dies in that episode whose death just doesn't have the impact the story wants. First since we don't know that much about her as a character and most notably it feels like the only reason she dies is because the characters were dumb enough to forget about her until it was too late.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These

Watched up to episode 2 (I don't have a subscription for CR) and I am liking it so far. The space battles were cool and both main characters are likable; so count me interested in seeing where this goes. Of course I'm saying this as someone who has not watched any of the other parts of the series, but I don't feel the least bit lost so extra points for being a good jumping on point.

Gun Gale Online:

Watched up to episode 2 and this has been pretty neat. I haven't watched SAO, but thankfully wasn't lost watching this either. The main character is pretty likable and as someone who does tend to agonize over my character's look in WRPGs (yes that even includes Baldur's Gate) the second episode really clicked with me a bit. Curious to see how she met the guy she was partnered with in the first episode...

Cute High Earth Defense Club Love!

Watched up to episode 3 and it's been pretty funny so far. It does a good job pardodying the magical girl tropes, reminding me not only of quite a few of the ones I saw in anime club growing up but also of this one anime I saw in my college's anime club called Pretear in which the transforming characters were also guys (plus the main girl) and their transformation also had an awkward name to it (through in Pretear's case it was more the phrase than the name).

Edited by BookwormOtaku

On 4/22/2018 at 7:09 AM, milkteebaby said:

How is it? I watched the first few episodes but they were such tearjerkers. Does Chi...fuuuu, forgot her name, but does she actually fall in love with the Magus dude-guy?

Haven't gotten very far myself (I think I'm on episode 6 or 7), but it definitely hasn't stopped being a tearjerker so far. :rubycry:

Watched the Hunter x Hunter movie Phantom Rouge...it wasn't very good. I'd heard it was an adaptation of a scrapped rough draft the author made and it shows. Plot details are rushed, so much time is spent with Gon and Killua hanging around with an original character who isn't very interesting and you can tell what they're planning for this character within seconds after she's  introduced, the conflict on Killua's end feels like retredding of stuff handled better in canon, Kurapika and Leorio don't do much until the end and perhaps worst of all the villain is boring. This guy's supposed to be a former member of the Phantom Troupe, who all had interesting personalities and design to go with their villain role, but he doesn't have any of that.

After that I decided to check out Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid and watched the first two episodes and I'm liking it so far. The first episode did feel a little disjointed but it still had a weirdness appeal to keep me interested; the second one was better put together with not just good comedic scenes but also quieter more character focused scenes between Tohru and Kanna. Who knew one day anime would give me the dragon sitcom I've wanted since the tragic cancelation of Scorch.

On 21/04/2018 at 5:39 PM, ittaku said:

Rewatching Cross Game - for the fourth time - with the whole family. Truly a remarkable anime and deservedly one of the few to score a 10/10 in my ratings.

Finished it. Loved it as much as the first few times. Now moving onto watching Working!! with the family, for the 5th time maybe?

Finished watching Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid yesterday and I really liked it. All the character are likable an their quirks never get old, the jokes are all funny, Kobayashi is surprisingly relatable and the series does a really good job evolving her and Tohru's relationship. Really hope they make another season. My only real (and overall minor) complaints are the last episode isn't as rewatchable as the others due to it being more serious and I really wish Funi had dubbed the OVA. They did such a good job dubbing the main show that I really wanted to hear how scenes like this would turn out in english:

Also watched the first five episodes of Hina Matsuri and it's been a funny and enjoyable watch. Just the premise of alone of an up and coming yakuza suddenly having to adopt a psychic girl was enough to get me to check it out but it surprised me at how good the character comedy is. The characters just bounce off each other so well in this.

As for the others I've been watching:

Gintama: Finished episode 17. I have to admit I am liking how the show still maintains its comedy but is able to present story points you can take seriously enough without it clashing with that.

Gun Gale Online: Well that arc ended on a very good note. I'm looking forward to seeing where things go from there and just what kind of person Pito is in real life.

Yuru Camp: Watched the first 6 episodes. Funny yet surprisingly relaxing show so far; it also brings back memories of what I enjoyed with camping back when I was in Boy Scouts

51 minutes ago, BookwormOtaku said:

Finished watching Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid yesterday and I really liked it. All the character are likable an their quirks never get old, the jokes are all funny, Kobayashi is surprisingly relatable and the series does a really good job evolving her and Tohru's relationship. Really hope they make another season. My only real (and overall minor) complaints are the last episode isn't as rewatchable as the others due to it being more serious and I really wish Funi had dubbed the OVA. They did such a good job dubbing the main show that I really wanted to hear how scenes like this would turn out in english.

My main complaint with the show was Lucoa. Who was the character, the dragon or her breasts? She wasn't even important as a secondary character like Fafnir was!

Finally finished watching Alderamin on the sky despite my busy life :wahaha: 

I find the anime art somewhat lackluster although the story is decent since I always like war themed animes. Perhaps next on the list would be Violent Evergarden or Shangri La? Hmm... :sachi: 

A while ago I thought I'd give Gintama a go, because it was supposed to be really funny and popular. I dropped it midway through the first episode. It just seemed really stupid to me.

Just recently though, as the popularity of Gintama doesn't seem to be waning at all, I thought maybe it's me. Maybe I'm just being really uptight and anal about stuff. So I sent it to my sister saying "give this a try, it's supposed to be really good". If she says it's good I'll give it another go.

I got a message back today. "This is, most likely, without a doubt, the worst show I've ever seen."
"I know", I said. "I thought it was pretty terrible also."
"Then why did you pass it on for me to try!"

So yeah, now I can safely ignore Gintama without thinking I'm missing something special. Happy days!

48 minutes ago, Darklord Rooke said:

A while ago I thought I'd give Gintama a go, because it was supposed to be really funny and popular. I dropped it midway through the first episode. It just seemed really stupid to me.

Just recently though, as the popularity of Gintama doesn't seem to be waning at all, I thought maybe it's me. Maybe I'm just being really uptight and anal about stuff. So I sent it to my sister saying "give this a try, it's supposed to be really good". If she says it's good I'll give it another go.

I got a message back today. "This is, most likely, without a doubt, the worst show I've ever seen."

So yeah, now I can safely ignore Gintama without thinking I'm missing something special. Happy days!

Ideally, you want to start watching at episode 3. The first two are filler, and easily the worst this series has to offer.

I can understand if you've been put off by your experience and I won't blame you for not giving it another chance, but those first two episodes are a poor representation of the rest of Gintama.

Exactly. I didn't understand why Gintama was so popular when I watched the first two episodes. But I didn't really had something else to do at that time and decided I might as well continue. Didn't regret it one bit. One of the funniest anime I've seen, and serious moments and battles are really good too.

Though I would understand that some people don't like the humour as sometimes it's really "Japanese" and we can't relate to it.

Edited by Riku

On 5/7/2018 at 1:34 AM, BookwormOtaku said:

Finished watching Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid yesterday and I really liked it. All the character are likable an their quirks never get old, the jokes are all funny, Kobayashi is surprisingly relatable and the series does a really good job evolving her and Tohru's relationship. Really hope they make another season. My only real (and overall minor) complaints are the last episode isn't as rewatchable as the others due to it being more serious and I really wish Funi had dubbed the OVA. They did such a good job dubbing the main show that I really wanted to hear how scenes like this would turn out in english:

I wish I'd waited and watched the dub for Dragon Maid, since the subs were godawful. Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

On 5/8/2018 at 1:52 PM, Darklord Rooke said:

I also recommend watching from episode 3 (it's the real first episode the episode 1 ad 2 of the anime is some two part special that isn't in any way canon), it's practically a night and day difference of quality. I was similarly put off twice because both times I made the mistake of watching episodes 1 and 2 and quit because they just sucked.

Edited by BookwormOtaku

I don't watch ongoings so have to postpone Boku no Hero, Steins;Gate 0, Persona 5, Darling in the FranXX and some other shows. But recently finally finished reading ReLIFE (miss it now) and wanted to watch something similar, so finished Net-juu no Susume... And now i miss both shows((

On 09/05/2018 at 9:52 AM, Darklord Rooke said:

No, ignore all the others here. I think they've got it completely backwards. If you can enjoy the first two episodes of Gintama, you'll enjoy the show. It is a good example of the baseline of humour and lack of plot that defines the show. The plot is made up on the spot repeatedly to make it look like there's some kind of continuity in there based on random character arcs they keep adding, and the humour doesn't really change much from episode 1 and 2, only intensifying in absurdity. If that's your cup of tea then this is the perfect show for you. My wife loves it, so I've watched every single one of the 350+ episodes. I sleep through half of them since I rarely find it funny, and the serious "story" parts of it are contrived add-ons at all times. People seem to be blown away by the fact that the most absurd  show on TV also has serious moments that look totally out of place - but that's actually all they are to me; out of place. In fact the serious story arcs bore me to sleep every time and the humour only occasionally invokes a grin out of me at best. No belly laughs for me I'm afraid. I've sat through all of it and unless it magically hits a nerve for you, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I'm about as clued up about Japanese culture and language as anyone gets, and I listen mostly to the raw Japanese so that's not the reason it doesn't work for me...

Was going to start watching something similar to "Working!" or maybe "K-ON!!" or "Blend S" at least. And found out "Servant X Service". Got immediately interested in. But considering the fact show only has one season and 13 episodes, decided to save it for later (to not run out of similar shows at once), and finally started to watch "Shokugeki no Souma", cuz always wanted to, plus it has a lot of episodes... Well, they were right saying it's not recommended to watch it on empty stomach, but i came prepared - had been watching it during dinner, so i'm good. 2 episodes so far, looks pretty good, but man, EVEN NOW I'VE STUMBLED UPON THIS ANNOYING ANIME CLICHE GIRL Erina! Really, God, not again! I'm so tired of such characters, and here we go again... I really hope it'd be better later, but... Not good... As if that Emi from "Devil part-timer" (finished couple of months ago) was not annoying enough, and now this. Oh, well, we'll see. I'll take my time with the show i think, cuz my main focus now on finishing some games and reading one VN.

Watched the first Heaven's Feel movie. And, well, ufotable shows once again that great anime based on VNs actually are possible (if you have big enough budget, of course).

I can't really say whether it's a good adaptation, because it's been a while since I finished the VN, but as an anime film it's really good! The atmosphere of Heaven's Feel is the one thing that's actually captured perfectly. Unlike UBW anime, it doesn't really add anything major that wasn't in the VN, but if you're a Fate fan, I definitely recommend checking this out.

Spoiler

Sabe-e-e-e-er... :komari:

So I binge watched all of Code Geass and... wow. Lelouch was such a good protagonist and the story was just amazing. In a sense Lelouch's genius kind of gave off vibes of Maou from G-Senjou and Sherlock and I just loved it! Lloyd is also such a good side character, that personality was just great together with the seriousness of some of the battles. I have some critique however;

Spoiler

Most of the story (especially in season one) felt like a thrown together battle between invincible Kurururururugi and invincible Lelouch. At least to me it felt like as soon as Kururugi came to the battle it was basically over and that he would always wizard up some attack to completely turn the tables, making some of the battles where you knew Kururugi was at the scene feel like they were already decided.

The whole scene with Euphemia's "peace zone" just felt really weird (is cliché the right word here?) and the whole thing that Lelouch accidently used his Geass was just, I don't know, a bit like the writers just wanted to suddenly turn the tables but didn't know how to do it. 

also

The emperor really felt like a push over compared to other characters (I.E. Kururugi) and it felt like they could have made the "final fight" of the empire out to be more.

Overall I am very happy I looked at the series and I wished that more grandiose shows like it existed (I have already watched Fullmetal Alchemist :(). Personally I find it really hard to just watch high school and slice-of-life animes. And as they appear to dominate the market, it is fairly difficult to find something to my tastes (Steins Gate is out but I have yet to read the VN).

I wonder what they can make out of season 3. I must agree with a lot of people that I am sceptical to the show actually not being just a cash-grab from Sunrise.

Spoiler

It would kind of be interesting however if they could turn Lelouch into an antagonist and do a full 180, making him instead try to end the world.

1 minute ago, Weiterfechten said:

So I binge watched all of Code Geass and... wow. Lelouch was such a good protagonist and the story was just amazing. In a sense Lelouch's genius kind of gave off vibes of Maou from G-Senjou and Sherlock and I just loved it! Lloyd is also such a good side character, that personality was just great together with the seriousness of some of the battles. I have some critique however;

Reveal hidden contents

Most of the story (especially in season one) felt like a thrown together battle between invincible Kurururururugi and invincible Lelouch. At least to me it felt like as soon as Kururugi came to the battle it was basically over and that he would always wizard up some attack to completely turn the tables, making some of the battles where you knew Kururugi was at the scene feel like they were already decided.

The whole scene with Euphemia's "peace zone" just felt really weird (is cliché the right word here?) and the whole thing that Lelouch accidently used his Geass was just, I don't know, a bit like the writers just wanted to suddenly turn the tables but didn't know how to do it. 

also

The emperor really felt like a push over compared to other characters (I.E. Kururugi) and it felt like they could have made the "final fight" of the empire out to be more.

Overall I am very happy I looked at the series and I wished that more grandiose shows like it existed (I have already watched Fullmetal Alchemist :(). Personally I find it really hard to just watch high school and slice-of-life animes. And as they appear to dominate the market, it is fairly difficult to find something to my tastes (Steins Gate is out but I have yet to read the VN).

I wonder what they can make out of season 3. I must agree with a lot of people that I am sceptical to the show actually not being just a cash-grab from Sunrise.

Reveal hidden contents

It would kind of be interesting however if they could turn Lelouch into an antagonist and do a full 180, making him instead try to end the world.

You know, it was quite interesting for me to watch, but just to know what the ending will be. As for characters, i mostly don't care, because almost none of them caught my eye. Well, C.C. was good, so was Kallen.

Spoiler

It was quite sad that Shirley died, as well as that princess. But no personal super sadness or whatever. Even if most characters died, i caouldn't care less. Dunno why's that. Maou was way better. And as for Lelouch - one time you like him, one time you hate him, and that goes on for 2 seasons... Eventually, not like, not dislike, just don't care.

But story-wise it was quite good.

On ‎14‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 3:29 AM, Weiterfechten said:

Reveal hidden contents

also

Reveal hidden contents

I'd say the Kururururugi thing is simply cuz he IS that good. Karen is super important to the Black Knights cuz she's a great pilot, and Kururugi is even better, so any fight he joins becomes very problematic. He's like the ace of a sports team, easily changing the dynamics of any match.

In regards to the "peace zone":

Spoiler

You need to look at it from a narrative point of view, I believe. It's not "oops, accidentally used my Geass", but rather a scene meant to show us how Lelouch is way past the stopping point, and that the Geass has become as much a tool as a curse, and a part of him. There will be no peace for Lelouch, who is cursed for life after accepting the supernatural power.

Have you watched HxH 2011? It's pretty much along the lines of FMA: B in terms of style.