What Anime are you watching now?

Ryoji

9 minutes ago, ittaku said:

I finally found someone with the exact opposite taste to mine. It shall make it easy to know what to do with your recommendations and dislikes :)

But I love Kuragehime, it's one of the series I want to buy the physical volumes for at some point in the future. :P

4 minutes ago, ittaku said:

I'm so confused :huh:

Well, if you want an explanation on Hanazawa Kana: I'm just tired of her being everywhere. It's not that she has a bad voice or anything (For me Nadeko will always have her voice. Period), I just want to listen to somebody else for once. There was one year where she was in like every single anime I was watching and I got so sick and tired of hearing her voice. 

As for Nagi no Asukara it's a mixture of the series having some of my biggest pet peeves alongside completely going against my expectations (in a negative way). I wouldn't say the series is poorly constructed, it's actually not, but there's a few elements in it that drove me mental. It clearly wasn't meant for me (much like most romantic dramas featuring teenagers really).

11 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

Princess Jellyfish is the shit, and is one of many shows that has me suspect I actually prefer watching shoujo anime adaptations more than most others (especially shounen...). I'd trade a generic school battle harem for Princess Jellyfish any day of the week.

Agreed, and even if it's not primarily a character show, the characters have far more depth if aimed at/written by women. Some of my all time favourites are shoujo anime or based on manga written by women (still blows my mind that FMA/B was for example...)

21 hours ago, ittaku said:

Find the watched list of someone who's seen more anime than you, sort by rating, look at the shows they rated 8,9,10/10 and find ones you haven't watched and consider them?

Here's mine:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/MyAnime/?user=Ittaku&categ=3

I support this strategy, but obviously you should use my MAL instead of Ittaku's ANN list :makina:

<----

2 hours ago, Jun Inoue said:

Be careful, Fred hasn't even watched KonoSuba. His list may be tainted with foolishness

Reveal hidden contents

I've seen some of his scores. I suspect it's far too late for him.

Oops, I did forget to add that one. Thanks for so meanly pointing it out, Jun :komari:

Edit: To think I'd be criticized by someone who hasn't even watched Chihayafuru.

Edited by Fred the Barber

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Eris.Rafflesia said:

I recommend Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance. Watched this a couple of days ago.

It is well animated and voice acted, has a strong protagonist and the gags are cute and well timed (including the twists).

For a harem anime, it had a perfect balance of serious moments that made me teary eyed and a likeable mc.

I really enjoyed that as well. Make sure to watch the BD version too instead of the heavily censored TV broadcast material.

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 5:07 AM, Jun Inoue said:

Be careful, Fred hasn't even watched KonoSuba. His list may be tainted with foolishness

Reading this comment finally inspired me to watch this series. It was alright overall, I suppose, and quite solid for a comedy. You can't go wrong with a chuunibyou loli.

Currently I'm watching Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu, and I'm not quite sure what to think of it yet. I'm confused as to what order you're supposed to watch it, but as things have more or less made at least some sense so far, I think I'm probably watching it in chronological order. This might or might not be the best way to experience one's first viewing of this series, but it will have to do.

I didn't like the first episode because it seemed like the show would be an unfunny school comedy with nothing unique to offer. However, now that I'm 4 episodes in, this series has intrigued me. I sure hope it keeps up with the

Spoiler

crazy alien-timetraveler-esper stuff

and doesn't deteriorate into schoolkids doing fun things for no reason again.

4 hours ago, Barktooth said:

You can't go wrong with a chuunibyou loli.

KonoSuba has lazy animation quality, dull characters, lack of a fantasy storyline despite being set in a fantasy world. I don't really understand what the selling point of it is?

I only expected it to get better from episode 1, the world and the characters fell flat for me. *sigh*

Spoiler

The whole daily sequence of let's do part time work and live in a stables I could not care less about.

So I stopped watching after 4 episodes. I might try and rewatch it at some point. :vinty:

Edited by Eris.Rafflesia

3 hours ago, Barktooth said:

Currently I'm watching Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu, and I'm not quite sure what to think of it yet. I'm confused as to what order you're supposed to watch it, but as things have more or less made at least some sense so far, I think I'm probably watching it in chronological order. This might or might not be the best way to experience one's first viewing of this series, but it will have to do.

I didn't like the first episode because it seemed like the show would be an unfunny school comedy with nothing unique to offer. However, now that I'm 4 episodes in, this series has intrigued me. I sure hope it keeps up with the

Reveal hidden contents

crazy alien-timetraveler-esper stuff

and doesn't deteriorate into schoolkids doing fun things for no reason again.

Probably the best way to watch it is to watch only the original series without the season 2 garbage interspersed amongst it, and in broadcast order, not in chronological order. The broadcast order had far more impact than when I tried to rewatch it in chronological order. On the other hand, it unfortunately has dated quite a bit and no longer feels like the masterpiece I once thought it was. A lot of what it does was very original back then but the execution is kind of annoying by today's standards.

1 hour ago, Eris.Rafflesia said:

KonoSuba has lazy animation quality, dull characters, lack of a fantasy storyline despite being set in a fantasy world. I don't really understand what the selling point of it is?

I only expected it to get better from episode 1, the world and the characters fell flat for me. *sigh*

Hide contents

The whole daily sequence of let's do part time work and live in a stables I could not care less about.

So I stopped watching after 4 episodes. I might try and rewatch it at some point. :vinty:

Well, then it simply didn't work out. The animation is part of its charm (there's a difference between goofy and lazy, as seen in the plenty of times they go all out, for example when animating Megumin's explosions), and the characters one of its main selling points. There's obviously no storyline, though, as it's a comedy/slice-of-life, not an adventure. And the daily sequence of the first episode is what sold most people on the show. So if what made KonoSuba great made you yawn, there's not much to go on with =X

Edited by Jun Inoue

2 hours ago, Jun Inoue said:

there's a difference between goofy and lazy, as seen in the plenty of times they go all out, for example when animating Megumin's explosions

Edit: When I said it has lazy animation, that's exactly what it is. It doesn't matter if it's comedy or not adventure or whatever. Big explosions doesn't count to demonstrate your point, the fact that everything else is still frames, repeating backgrounds over and over and fails to exploring fantasy themes.

I liked the first episode because there was a real charm between the mc and Aqua. You're right it's not an adventure, but it could have done with more character building to make the gags more entertaining.

Megumin is great but she tends to overshadow everything else in the show, and initially I think Aqua is great too but then she doesn't maintain her bratty and superior personality.

I can't relate to the perverted jokes, because they don't make any sense. If I just watch it for Megumin, I can probably persist and watch it. A lot of the time I don't understand the humour in it but I think I should keep an open mind since it's getting a season 2. 

Edited by Eris.Rafflesia

I feel I should share that I've just watched Momokuri, the best thing since sliced bread, and it's led to me understanding something crucial.

Shortly after I restarted (re)watching Lovely Complex, a show I tried watching some 4 years ago but ended up dropping towards the end. I remember having some real problems with it, despite absolutely loving the hell out of its comedy and Momokuri has allowed me to figure out what it is I take issue with.
Every time Lovely Complex tries to be serious or dramatic I just stop enjoying it. I think what irked me so is that it had some fantastic potential to be an absolute blast of a romcom, but spoils it for me by being serious unnecessarily.
Momokuri goes around tackling issues that just about any other romance would have as major dramatic plotpoints with comedy and sweetness.

I also made the mistake of trying to watch Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance. I haven't been able to handle harems as well as I used to for a while now, with some exceptions, but this one didn't seem like an exception at all. I have not been able to determine why this is, though. If it's a comedy I should, theoretically, be able to handle it fine, but I didn't find it that funny. The protagonist did seem to have some personality, so that's good as well. And I had no particular objections to the plot...

6 hours ago, Eris.Rafflesia said:

Reveal hidden contents

Maybe it's a good thing, but I rarely notice animation quality issues in most shows. KonoSuba didn't seem any different to me compared to other shows; the only thing I found slightly weird is the design of the MC. He just looks... strange. The girls are all designed well, though, so I didn't really mind.

I can understand why you wouldn't watch it, but I did find the comedy to be well executed so I kept watching just for that, I suppose. That episode where

Spoiler

they put Aqua in a cage and have her clean the swamp

was probably the funniest.

5 hours ago, ittaku said:

Probably the best way to watch it is to watch only the original series without the season 2 garbage interspersed amongst it, and in broadcast order, not in chronological order. The broadcast order had far more impact than when I tried to rewatch it in chronological order. On the other hand, it unfortunately has dated quite a bit and no longer feels like the masterpiece I once thought it was. A lot of what it does was very original back then but the execution is kind of annoying by today's standards.

I'm not sure if I'll watch second season then, but I'm already half way through chronological order so I think I'll have to keep watching it like this now.

34 minutes ago, Mr Poltroon said:

I feel I should share that I've just watched Momokuri, the best thing since sliced bread, and it's led to me understanding something crucial.

Shortly after I restarted (re)watching Lovely Complex, a show I tried watching some 4 years ago but ended up dropping towards the end. I remember having some real problems with it, despite absolutely loving the hell out of its comedy and Momokuri has allowed me to figure out what it is I take issue with.
Every time Lovely Complex tries to be serious or dramatic I just stop enjoying it. I think what irked me so is that it had some fantastic potential to be an absolute blast of a romcom, but spoils it for me by being serious unnecessarily.
Momokuri goes around tackling issues that just about any other romance would have as major dramatic plotpoints with comedy and sweetness.

Ironically, that's what happened to me with Momokuri. Loved the slice of life silliness and cuteness. But every time the show tried (and utterly failed because, you know, Japan) to tackle the MC's lack of confidence "as a man," I just kept rolling my eyes non-stop until the show would go back to its normal course.

4 hours ago, Eris.Rafflesia said:

Edit: When I said it has lazy animation, that's exactly what it is. It doesn't matter if it's comedy or not adventure or whatever. Big explosions doesn't count to demonstrate your point, the fact that everything else is still frames, repeating backgrounds over and over and fails to exploring fantasy themes.

I liked the first episode because there was a real charm between the mc and Aqua. You're right it's not an adventure, but it could have done with more character building to make the gags more entertaining.

Megumin is great but she tends to overshadow everything else in the show, and initially I think Aqua is great too but then she doesn't maintain her bratty and superior personality.

I can't relate to the perverted jokes, because they don't make any sense. If I just watch it for Megumin, I can probably persist and watch it. A lot of the time I don't understand the humour in it but I think I should keep an open mind since it's getting a season 2. 

Well, don't know what to tell you. I didn't really notice the animation regarding that being better or worse than any other show (generally). About exploring it being a fantasy... well, that depends on your take. Fantasy doesn't mean elves, dragons and stuff. KonoSuba simply has the whole demon king and skills, and I agree that it doesn't really go very deep. But I'll also insist that the show got just 10 episodes. 10 episodes to introduce the characters, world, and keep the comedy up since, before a fantasy or adventure, KonoSuba is a comedy. We'll probably see on S2 if we get more stuff on this world, especially since it seems things will happen outside of the initial city where they live.

You didn't finish the show though, did you? Aqua does maintain her bratty attitude (and in the OVA, too), which I don't think is a spoiler to tell you. If there's one character that does suffer, it would be Darkness, I think. She doesn't get that much screen time and it tends to revolve all around her being a pervert and part of other jokes.

But, in the end, KonoSuba is a comedy, and comedy is a genre that, well... it either works or does not. Maybe you didn't like it that much and, on the other hand, many people have it on their top 5 of anime in 2016. The most I could do, I think, is to recommend you a couple of videos of people talking about why they like KonoSuba. Maybe you'll see smth else in those videos to convince you?

23 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

KonoSuba simply has the whole demon king and skills, and I agree that it doesn't really go very deep. But I'll also insist that the show got just 10 episodes. 10 episodes to introduce the characters, world, and keep the comedy up since, before a fantasy or adventure, KonoSuba is a comedy. We'll probably see on S2 if we get more stuff on this world, especially since it seems things will happen outside of the initial city where they live.

You didn't finish the show though, did you? Aqua does maintain her bratty attitude (and in the OVA, too), which I don't think is a spoiler to tell you. If there's one character that does suffer, it would be Darkness, I think. She doesn't get that much screen time and it tends to revolve all around her being a pervert and part of other jokes.

No I didn't watch to the end so it's great to hear what other people think too. I don't think it would be necessary to suggest any videos of that kind, but I appreciate the offer. I can however say that I'm more positive about it now than before. I think I'm more looking forward to the series picking up from season 2 as well to see where it goes with the characters. :wafuu:

2 hours ago, Barktooth said:

I can understand why you wouldn't watch it, but I did find the comedy to be well executed so I kept watching just for that, I suppose.

That's all I really mind this time around and I will keep an open mind. 

3 hours ago, Mr Poltroon said:

I also made the mistake of trying to watch Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance. I haven't been able to handle harems as well as I used to for a while now, with some exceptions, but this one didn't seem like an exception at all. I have not been able to determine why this is, though. If it's a comedy I should, theoretically, be able to handle it fine, but I didn't find it that funny. The protagonist did seem to have some personality, so that's good as well. And I had no particular objections to the plot...

I think after watching Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance I can easily watch KonoSuba just for the laughs. 

Initially I started watching Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance because I liked the character design and since I'm drawn to the aesthetics, everything else just sort of fell into place with the story, animation and likeable mc. (as I said all this before in a previous post)

This is now one of my favourite anime purely for the strong delivery of this short 12 episode series. Each episode is a feast for my soul. It's going to be one I re watch not long after watching it the first time.

11 hours ago, Eris.Rafflesia said:

Reveal hidden contents

Comedy's like that far more than any genre. It either gels for you or it doesn't. I'm annoyed that I don't find more shows funny myself since there's nothing I like more than a good laugh. People scream with laughter at stuff like shimoneta, sakamoto, mob psycho, one punch man... and all of those shows annoyed the shit out of me all for similar reasons - if the main premise annoys you rather than amuses you then you're screwed like me (Note I liked konosuba for reference but I don't think any less of you for it not working for you.)