What Anime are you watching now?

Ryoji

47 minutes ago, LiquidShu said:

What's the difference between the original Fate/Stay Night anime vs. the Unlimited Blade Works other than production values, if any? 

On a side note, on episode 10 and my golly is this show beautiful to watch. Not to mention the soundtrack is superb. What really really got me was the battles, especially when Archer and Lancer first clashed WOW. Just thinking back on the majority of fights to happen thus far I get filled with excitement. The colors and lighting, smooth af animation, the sounds of blades hitting, man-oh-man am I loving this. The overall mood feels lighter than Fate/Zero which is kinda unfortunate but not a big deal. The characters in F/S N are plenty enough to keep me entertained on the plot/character side of things. 

Rin is love, Saber is love, Rider is love, Caster tbt, Sakura is love, Fuji-neeeee makes the cake too. Hell might as well through Emiya on board too. 

I wouldn't dare quote myself on this, but I'm convinced that while the first adapts Fate route ( or a slight amalgamation), the latter adapts only Rin's route.

1 hour ago, Fred the Barber said:

I'm actually really sad to hear you didn't think Usagi Drop was awesome. That's a high bar to meet, certainly, but for me, it was definitely awesome. Girls Und Panzer is actually really good, but definitely do not watch the OVAs - they are mostly garbage (one was ok - the rest were unmitigated garbage). Have you watched Kokoro Connect? It's a tiny bit fanservicey for the first episode or two, and the description makes it sound much more so, but it gets good fast and it's got a very nice rhythm to it. In total contrast to Girls Und Panzer, the OVA feels like just another story arc, and is the second-best arc IMO (between one season and the OVA, it has four very distinct, well-contained story arcs).

Thanks for the recommendations. I haven't deleted Usagi so if I have time I might return to it. I currently have 35 series on the go so it might be a while before I get to check out your suggestions or go back to usagi... Any fanservice is an instant nono for my wife by the way - at most a bathtub/onsen scene in context but nothing more.

16 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

Girls Und Panzer

Completely random interjection, only reason I've ever considered watching that (I still might watch it at some point, just like a million other things) is because one of the VAs does a surprisingly good job of singing in Russian, better than most VAs do English at least

Picked up Rekka no Honoo today so I have something to watch when I'm not at home. I only want to watch F/SN on my big TV with surround sound, gotta go big or go home for a show that nice. 

Also got my copy of Ghost in The Shell 2: Innocence in today. It's the HK version, region free, and I hear it has good sound and subs so I am looking forward to watching it on Wednesday (my movie night normally). 

58 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

Today I picked up Amagi Brilliant Park to watch while cooking. Dinner was simple so I only got in one episode, but that first episode was pretty damn strong. I'm looking forward to more of the show.

Good choice. That show was a lot of fun but desperately needs a sequel (like so many other good shows).

On my phone, sucks posting anything of length on it.

OK, last night I continued Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works. I watched three episodes, 15 - 17. In just those three episodes F/SN UBW it sky rocketed from great to amazing. 

Spoiler

I'm going to start off with what I believe was episode 15. Illya, oh my how her backstory hurt. From the start when she was all alone surriunded by her stuffed animals, eagerly waiting for Kiritsugu to come. Then I'm not so sure what happened next, she imagined her mom? Or was it the magic of that old man she saw right after? Either way it seemed like she snapped and decided to become a master. Going through with becoming a master she underwent surgery that made her body consist 70% of magical circuts. While in the facility she was undergoing surgery in, she bore through the pain, and wanted hommonculus' to be able to have their own ID. Later on when she was to make a pact with Berserker she was cold and determined to ein the war no matter. After what seemed like a failed (?) attempt at making the pact, the scene shifted to her laying in the snow. Illya got up and began walking back to the castle when she was mauled by wolves (at this point in time the feels from her previous situations and this really made me care for her, and this particular scene started the teary eyes) when Berserker saved her and she was talking about how he reminded her of Kiritsugu the events that would happen next made stunned. 

So it's established Berserker and Illya care for one another and Berserker will do all he can to protect her, this gave me a feeling of warmth and was amplified by the fact Berseker is supposed to be -more or less- an untamed, hulking, powerhouse. Moving on to the moment I was literally left mouth open, tears coming down, and really just straight up shocked at what had happened, and how it left me. The scene where Berserker was thought to be finally killed and Illya was slashed in the eye and stabbed, just looking for him blindly to hold him, as said above, was heartbreaking, just typing this hits the feels. To top that off Berserker even comes alive once more, breaks the chains, and attempts to avenge his master, holy shit.

Well that wasn't so much fun to type on my phone :vinty: When I return home my thoughts on episodes 16 and 17 should be up as well. 

Episodes 16 - 17

Both episode 16 and 17 will be covered in the same spoiler tag. They might as well be pt. 1 & 2 (plus I can't exactly distinguish the two to well). 

With the events concerning Illya and Berserker over (:cry:), Rin and Shirou have a talk over her grave about his naivety, ideals, the like. Lancer say's "Yo what's up?", Rin and Shirou take his presence as hostile and they start bickering on who the front line is going to be against him. Lancer laughs, calls them a couple, Rin goes tsun tsun, Shirou agrees, they are now allies against Caster. Personally, I very much enjoyed this exchange. However, they were all serious over Illya's death for like a minute and immediately moved on, which felt out of place to me. Given the circumstances I suppose it couldn't have been helped. 

Archer vs. Lancer as soon as they arrive at the church, woot. As the two servants stare each other down Rin and Shirou run right in to challenge the bosses. When Rin and Shirou reach Caster and Kuzuki, Saber is all hot and flustered in an intriguing wedding dress on the floor tied up :rimu: Shirou takes on Kuzuki while Rin goes for Caster, was pretty straight forward with Rin's plan -almost- working. Rin doesn't quite finish of Caster but instead Archer takes Kuzuki and Caster down out of left field (we all saw it coming). At this point in time, I bloody hate Archer (I started disliking him quite early on) something always felt off about him from episode ~5 or so. 

The fight scenes and production values were off the charts as usual and a blast to watch. 

Honestly not much to say about 16 - 17. They were really good episodes filled with fighting and further established me feelings towards certain characters.

---

Just watched episode 18~! 

Saber = Rin's servant > Archer kidnaps Rin > Shirou agrees to d-d-d-duel Archer > Something is going on with Shinji (that fucker :conspiracy:) > Archer is Shirou's past/future self??

With all the talk about Archer and Saber mentioning something about Archer being related to Shirou, I feel confident that Archer could be Shirou in some way. Especially with the whole spiel Rin was giving about Heroic Spirits being summoned from even the Future, seems like a possibility. 

To counter my prediction, what we have seen of Archer's history he seems to come from the days of old and has participated in a lot of events. Plus his Noble Phantasm is filled with old weapons and what not. Speaking of Noble Phantasm's, Archer's was pretty lame. Like straight up. I don't care why he has it either. 

Was Saber fighting in a wedding dress mentioned at any time? No? Well now it has and I quite enjoyed it :makina:

I got lazy with 16 - 18 :vinty: I want to keep doing this kind of thing for shows I watch so I can better express my thoughts and feelings. Not just of the show in question but in other areas as well. In my episode recaps this time around I definitely felt like they lacked a lot of my personal thoughts.

Edited by LiquidShu
Uhhhhh thoughts and stuff

K so this week I finished Shinmaou Testament no Burst.

It was.... :vinty: 

Not even my high affinity for ecchi.harems could allow me to enjoy master-servant pact mechanics. Just so cringeworthy.

~~
Now we move onto Sword Art Online. Which I'm enjoying to the max so far, though I'm nearing the supposed Episode 14+ decline of doom (currently on 12)

What makes SAO so wonderful for me is that 1) Hey look, I'm not watching a highschool-setting focused anime for once! That is all.

Every episode has been meaningful. That's how episodes should be done. Not like Pokemon where Ash n' friends meet some random stranger, talk acquaintance-style for 20 minutes long boring minutes, then have Team Rocket blast off again after failing to snag Pikachu, or the dreaded VN Shikkoku no Sharnoth where characters and situations are fking bland and repetitive as fk.

No. In SAO when Kirito meets people, he actually bonds with them.  Sachi. Silica. Liz. In 20 minutes, these episodes are all able to show how these strangers meet and how Kirito is such a stud. But then he'll get them all horrifically killed. Or break their heart. But at least he helps one of them revive their pet amirite. But yeah, they're all very touching episodes. (For the record, yes, I hate episodic-ness, so that's why I praise them highly whenever I enjoy them)

Then we get to the real kicker: Asuna. Every now and then you find a character you just REALLY REALLY KLFSDJFADSKF REALLY LIKE, y'know? In the past 60 anime I've watched, that only applied to Angel Beats! Yurippe, Zero no Tsukaima's Louise, To Love-Ru's Nana, and Railgun's Mikoto. Rakudais' Stella came close, but in the end she was just another standard favorites. Asuna on the other hand, HNGGGGGGGGGG.

What makes it even better was that I totally didn't expect her character to be a lead character given the episodic nature of previous females introduced. Hell, I didn't even expect this level of romance between Asuna and Kirito to happen! Why am I digging through all these High School Ecchi Harems with shoddy romance when I can just watch a Fantasy Adventure Game that has romance that puts others to shame. Episode 8 was pure, pure gold. It was one of those "protagonist realizes he might have a thing for the heroine" episodes, with Asuna cooking the S-class rabbit ingredient. Then the duo go through some very tense life or death moments via Ep. 9's Gleam Eyes boss battle and Ep 10's Kuradeel attempted assassination where they'll barely save one another and then hug ever so affectionately afterward.

And then they actually fking marry and its just kyaaa!@#$%^% I'm just a total sap aren't I :makina: 

Anyways, wb Fuwanovel, been a good 2 day break.

2 hours ago, Eclipsed said:

*SAO wall of text*

Pretty much. First half of season 1 of SAO is one of my favorites, for pretty much exactly the reasons you listed: Asuna, great episodic characters, a feeling of real progression (especially romantically), and a feeling that everything matters.

That said, if you can bring yourself to do it, seriously, stop watching after the Aincrad arc ends. I'm sure you'll never thank me for it, but on the other hand if you do keep watching, I can pretty much guarantee that one day you'll come back and say you should have listened to me. It basically ruins everything that was great about SAO previously... but it's insidious, so you might not notice at first.

It's k, Fred. 'Tis better to have loved n' lost, than to never have loved at all.

No wait, I mean than to have loved n' preserved for all eternity.

No matter what happens, I (reserved for the inevitable 'i should've listened to you')

~~

How's SAO II btw, anybody?

14 minutes ago, Eclipsed said:

How's SAO II btw, anybody?

At least the first half was pretty great, on the same level as the beginning of the first season IMO. It has Sinon as a quite interesting new heroine and it also builds up a good bit of tension (it stayed pretty close to the LN). But beware of traps... :makina: 

The second half has partly the problems of the first season's second half, though you might actually like it quite a lot, seeing how much you like Asuna, because she plays the main role in the last animated arc.

51 minutes ago, Leaf said:

I'm currently with one of the classics Cardcaptor Sakura, just finished ep.15, i'll pick up something newer later.

I've had my eye on that one for a while. How's it look by today's standards? A lot of classics have dated and the style has changed making them lose their sheen when I get around to watching them so I'm curious about this one.

Finished Amagi Brilliant Park (the 12 episodes of the main series, not episode 13 or the OVA). That was pretty damn good. It's a matter of personal taste that I would've preferred to see a nice romance between Kamie and Sento, which I'm guessing is the main reason why @ittaku mentioned he'd like to see a sequel, but despite wanting that romantic closure I felt like the show did a great job of completing everything it set out to. Overall I'm very happy with it; typical superb KyoAni quality. And if they did make a sequel (it seems like the light novels are ongoing, so they certainly could), I wouldn't hesitate to watch. The only time I've been dissatisfied watching a KyoAni anime was when they tried to write their own story in Tamako Market. I should really get around to watching the others I've missed like Sound! Euphonium.

Also, I just read on Wikipedia that Kanie's name was inspired by Kanye West. It makes such perfect sense that I almost can't believe I didn't think of it before.

7 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

Definitely agreed - the romance did get a little bit of real screen time occasionally, and it was always a joy to watch the two emotional idiots wondering "Why did I do that nice thing for him/her?"

BTW, and you won't hear it from me but allegedly there are some awesome hentai doujins if you're looking for closure ;)

2 hours ago, Templarseeker said:

Just recently completed watching the first season of Psycho Pass. It really entertained me and it was pretty nice overall. I'll watch the second season and the movie some other time since I just started watching Guilty Crown. I wonder how good this anime is? 

Guilty Crown is generally summed up as "had extremely high potential, but completely failed in execution". Like, it's a show you want to enjoy, but it just won't let you. 'Cept if you're LiquidShu

10 minutes ago, Eclipsed said:

Guilty Crown is generally summed up as "had extremely high potential, but completely failed in execution". Like, it's a show you want to enjoy, but it just won't let you. 'Cept if you're LiquidShu

Thanks for the head ups! Umm... Despite the warning, I'm willing to continue watching since I already a little bit further and it didn't seem to be that awful like most people consider it to be as I seen far much worse anime that this before. And beside Inori looks so cute and adorable for it be a lost not to watch it XD:mare:

9 minutes ago, ittaku said:

Guilty crown was crap.

Guilty Crown pales in comparison to being crappy and awful to "Spiral"... At least Guilty Crown entertains me to some extent. My God that's the very worst anime that I'm yet to watch, both its opening and ending op just sucks big time and the plot makes no sense at all?! The only redeeming stuff the anime has was its English dubbed since it very well done which keep me going watching till the end since its almost very unbearable to watch err... I'm never gonna bother watching that horrible anime ever again.:saber: