What Anime are you watching now?

Ryoji

Just finished watching Kyoukai no Kanata.

Rant:

This is mainly at Sieghart here, but I actually found the second half of the series to be the disappointing half. Sure the plot thickens, but the way they went about adapting this second half bothered me.

From the incident with Sakura (Episode 7) to "suddenly backstory" (Episode 10), I just became increasingly disappointed.

First the Sakura incident was literally wrapped up in one episode. The vibe I got from the end of the fight between Mirai and Sakura is "You can't compensate your lack of powers with this weapon so be a good girl." Years of what I'm assuming to be pent up anger and grief over Yui's death and its resolved with this?

Then there's Episode 10 where Mirai's backstory is explored. After half of Episode 9 dedicated to Mirai contemplating killing Akihito and being lead to believe that she indeed went through with it, we get Episode 10 which basically said, "Nope she didn't kill Akihito and here's why". Lets not forget that up until this point, Mirai couldn't possibly kill a friend and had issues with stabbing Akihito when the Hollow Shadow was possessing him. Mirai's supposed scars from killing Yui were swept under the rug, with the Sakura incident resolution further supporting this.

Now the rest of the content in the second half aside from these aspects was alright up until the ending. The build up and suspense between episodes was done well. I would even say the conflict was reasonable except we don't know the reason behind the conflict yet. The last two episodes left too much to be desired though.

We have no idea what the background of Akihito's mother is, nor do we know the background of Izumi and how she has a Youmu inside of her. We don't even get a hint at Miroku's (the bad guy in case you guys are bad with names) motivation for wanting Beyond the Boundary to destroy the world (even the anime explicitly went and said everything regarding him was swept under the rug) and yet, we had Episode 6 the fanservice idol episode.

Don't get me wrong, I was completely fine with that episode and fanservice. But when they showed that episode instead of having a plot oriented episode, I have to take issue with it, especially given what little information on the actual plot we have. On a somewhat related note, I heard that the series was supposed to get 13 episodes but it dropped to 12 for some reason.

We also got Mirai miraculously coming back to life with no explanation whatsoever. To give you some context before I go on, I like the "comedic slice of life first half, drama and important stuff second half, then having a happy end" formula and can appreciate when its done well. But when you have me actually wishing that an integral character of the series (like Mirai) stayed dead, there's something clearly wrong with the execution.

TL;DR

I enjoyed it for the slice of life, comedic first half but it failed at delivering the dramatic, plot relevant second half adequately

I have to agree with pretty much all of this.

I was more tolerable with everything. I tolerated the idol episode (because Ai best girl) and other random fillers that didn't need to be there. Still hoping for a decent explanation at the end. But that's what i didnt get and that's when i got disappointed. So much stuff left unaswered, i also wished mirai would have stayed dead, i honestly think it'd be much better because they failed hard on the drama department. It just wasn't well executed.

Keep in mind my favorite anime from KyoAni is K-on so i can tolerate a lot of things but this one was trying to be something that just didn't work out

Currently re watching Hajime No Ippo up to New Challenger plus the movies :) It's still as good as I remember and a good break from the almost painful manga updates as of late. That and Skip Beat/Glass Mask to mix some good ole' shoujo in.

My thoughts on Kyoukai no Kanata :

I really wanted to like it, but despite a few decent episodes, I think the only thing that kept me going was because it was KyoAni.  The ending especialy made no sense, first she's gone and then, for no apparent reason other than a happy end she reappears at the last moment to have a cute glasses moment with senpai?  My first reaction was "What the hell?".  It also felt through most of the show that they didn't have enough time to develop the setting and characters besides Mirai and Akihito, a lot of them felt very unidimensional.

Since I also finished it around the same time as KnK, my thoughts on Gingitsune : 

It was one of my favorite show to watch each week this season, but it ended pretty abruptly. It seemed to build up for a few things over that past episodes, and I really enjoyed it, but then it was over, the end. It's quite unfortunate, unless there's another season coming, which I somewhat doubt.

Finaly, I've about halfway through a bunch of shows that I recently started :  Kimi ni Todoke, Kobato, Monogatari Series(just finished Sengoku arc).  I also watched SAO Extra, which I must admit kinda lost me with all the recaps, but it was still a decent watch.

I was about to start Kami Nomi zo Shiru Sekai: Megami-hen but then I remembered that I was supposed to watch the OVA first so I just watched the two episodes of Tenri-hen. It was fine but I couldn't enjoy it as much because I hadn't downloaded it so I had to watch a horrible stream of it.

I was about to start Kami Nomi zo Shiru Sekai: Megami-hen but then I remembered that I was supposed to watch the OVA first so I just watched the two episodes of Tenri-hen. It was fine but I couldn't enjoy it as much because I hadn't downloaded it so I had to watch a horrible stream of it.

Third season of TWGOK was the best season but I'm disappointed they skipped a seasons worth of conquests to get to the Goddess arc.

It gets really confusing if you havent seen the OVA... e.e; -been there-

Third season of TWGOK was the best season but I'm disappointed they skipped a seasons worth of conquests to get to the Goddess arc.

Yea... Id like to have seen the other conquests... I was rather confused for a while lol. but nonetheless, it was good.

Watched the first episode of Teekyuu (short anime), looked for psychotropic substances in what I just ate, went back to watch second episode.

Just what the hell is going on in this show? I think I'm gonna like it.

Otherwise, finally started Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo. I usually dislike it when a bunch of characters egoistically throw their responsibilities onto a passive MC, but it's for the sake of the plot so I guess it's ok?

Anyway, I'm already growing to like it.

After starting Bakemonogatari a few weeks ago, I finished Monogatari Series Season 2 today.  It was great, I really enjoyed it. I especialy liked the visual style, but the story and characters were also very good. Looking forward to more of this.

I've also been having fun rewatching the first Railgun series, I will probably follow it up with a rewatch of Railgun S. <3 Biribiri.

Judging from Down's description, I think I want to give Teekyu a go.

Hey, just a question... How did you guys like Hidan no Aria?

It wasn't really bad but the plot was one of the most wtf things i've seen. Especially when you know Aria's true identity and the bad guy's true identity i just stared at the screen like "Really..?" . Aria is aso one of those annoying tsunderes not the likeable ones. And the fact it had an open ending didn't really make the story much justice. Could have been great but it just stayed on decent for me.

It wasn't really bad but the plot was one of the most wtf things i've seen. Especially when you know Aria's true identity and the bad guy's true identity i just stared at the screen like "Really..?" . Aria is aso one of those annoying tsunderes not the likeable ones. And the fact it had an open ending didn't really make the story much justice. Could have been great but it just stayed on decent for me.

This. The characters weren't so likeable either, at least for me :c

So the majority of the audience didnt like it, huh... No wonder it took so long for a new project to be announced lol. But honestly, its one of my fav series... And the characters were ok for me. Kinji just didnt have enough time to shine... same goes for all the others. 

And as for C3 (Cubexcursedxcurious) How did you guys like that?

So the majority of the audience didnt like it, huh... No wonder it took so long for a new project to be announced lol. But honestly, its one of my fav series... And the characters were ok for me. Kinji just didnt have enough time to shine... same goes for all the others. 

And as for C3 (Cubexcursedxcurious) How did you guys like that?

Well opinions are opinions, it was very lacking in a lot of aspects but it didn't suck terribly. If it had a continuation i might have appreciated it more.

C3's only asset is Fear, because lolis. And because her powers are pretty neat. The rest of the story/plot is a big mess and the end is unfullfilling too. The horror/gore elements are kind of a hit a miss but i still liked it because Fear is cute. This is when my personal tastes blind my logical judgement. I'd like to have seen all of her cursed tools though.

Going to start Strawberry Panic. I've been putting it off and i want to watch it before watching Precure. I need some yuri.