What Anime are you watching now?

Ryoji

• 4 weeks later...

There are some pretty good shows this season:

Golden Kamuy - glad to see this amazing series is back with more Hinna. Probably best show of the season for me.

Yojouhan Time Machine Blues - A short OVA, but seeing that Yojouhan Shinwa is one of my favorite animes, I have rather high expectations for it.

Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch from Mercury - it's an AU gundam universe, we'll see whether it gets good.

Tensei shitara Ken Deshita - one of the better isekai novels gets an adaptation.

Akiba Meido Sensou - I originally wasn't planning on watching this, but it was recommended to me. Lol, it's a story about crime syndicates in maid cafes. Really hilarious show by PA works. I didn't see that last time I went to Akiba. Maybe, next time I'll be on the lookout and see if I can spot them in action.

Poputepipikku 2nd Season - it's about what you'd expect, more of the same thing. Meme in anime form.

MLA S2 - is as shitty as ever as an adaptation. Do yourself a favor and skip this. Only good thing is Jam Project singing the OP.

Fumetsu no Anata S2 - so far only 1 episode is out, but good for fans of the show. No new OP though. I like the OP, but getting new OP's is also one of the things I look forward to.

mob psycho, yamasusu, do it yourself, bocchi the rock all delivering on the animation/direction front

urusei yatsura is hard to get used to with the new VAs, too used to the original ones

eminence in shadow is different from how i remember it from the WN, i guess the LN changed a few things

tenken made me wanna start reading its LN as well

spy x fam, CSM, pptp deliver as expected

and i also watch renkinjutsushi, renai flops, beast tamer, and akiba maid war which are alright

I'm not feeling like making a season thread, but just wanted to shill the new otome villainess anime. It's my genuine favourite this season: fun plot without filler, adorable romance between the protagonist and the demon lord, protagonist getting her way not by being OP, but with determination and wit... It's simply all I would ever want from this kind of formula. Obviously not the best anime around, as this season is insane, but deeply enjoyable. ^^

29 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

I'm not feeling like making a season thread, but just wanted to shill the new otome villainess anime. It's my genuine favourite this season: fun plot without filler, adorable romance between the protagonist and the demon lord, protagonist getting her way not by being OP, but with determination and wit... It's simply all I would ever want from this kind of formula. Obviously not the best anime around, as this season is insane, but deeply enjoyable. ^^

Huh, so it's actually good? I remember trying to read the fan translation of the web novel version way before it got the official translation. And either it didn't give the original justice, or it just wasn't my thing, so I dropped it pretty quickly. That's why I got really surprised that this one was one of the few villainess novels that got an anime.

3 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

Huh, so it's actually good? I remember trying to read the fan translation of the web novel version way before it got the official translation. And either it didn't give the original justice, or it just wasn't my thing, so I dropped it pretty quickly. That's why I got really surprised that this one was one of the few villainess novels that got an anime.

I have shitty taste for sure, so not sure how much my opinion is worth, but while Bakarina quickly got me bored with the repeated jokes and lack of character development, I really like how this series is flowing. It focuses on proper romance (the chemistry between the protagonist and the demon lord is actually quite adorable) and intrigue instead of exploitable gags or meandering harem plots. It also seems to breeze through light novel volumes skipping most of the filler, but keeping all the important stuff, so it's not feeling particularly rushed or disjointed but gets to the point pretty quickly in every story arc. It's not very deep and definitely a lighthearted, feel-good show above all, but so far the plot structure felt surprisingly fresh and the overall experience left me with very little to complain about. I really think it's quite solid, beside feeding exactly into my personal preferences. :)

12 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Bakarina quickly got me bored with the repeated jokes and lack of character developmen

I liked the first season of Bakarina, but when it ended I realized that I wouldn't watch the second season, nor read the original. I just felt that the first season did everything that it could with the setting, and the continuation wouldn't add anything new to it.

To be honest though, when it comes to LNs and manga, villainess stories at this point are just as overdone as regular littpg isekais. Usually it's just the same story over and over again: the villainess is actually a literal angel, but nobody understands that; the original heroine is a complete sadistic bitch, and the original love interests are just idiots. Though there are some decent ones as well.

47 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

To be honest though, when it comes to LNs and manga, villainess stories at this point are just as overdone as regular littpg isekais. Usually it's just the same story over and over again: the villainess is actually a literal angel, but nobody understands that; the original heroine is a complete sadistic bitch, and the original love interests are just idiots. Though there are some decent ones as well.

The thing is, the protagonist here is NOT an angel. I'd say she's overall a good person, and it's not clear at this point what the heroine's deal is (likely she's also reincarnated and acting not really from malice but rather selfish disregard for the game characters)... But the protag's ambitious, proud to the point of vanity and at the beginning acting purely from self-preservation and in a rather calculated manner. It somewhat changes after she catches feelings for the demon lord and gets past all the death flags... but I think the charm of the series very much depends on the fact that she's not just a soul from another world inserted into the villainess, she IS the villainess with some memories from a previous life guiding her behaviour. For a female protagonist, I think she's really cool and her personality contrasts with the reserved and brooding nature of the demon lord really well. I feel the reception of this show is a bit lukeworm and I kind of get why but holy crap do I like its main building blocks.

17 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

The thing is, the protagonist here is NOT an angel.

Oh, I wasn't talking about this story in particular. As little as I remember about the original novel, I'm pretty sure she was definitely not like that. 😅 I was mostly just rambling about the villainess genre in general and why I don't follow it as closely as I used to. On the other hand, there are still a lot of really good and creative stories there. And, well, even among stories that follow that formula there are some enjoyable ones.

On another note, have you watched Bibliophile Princess from this season? I'm pretty curious about what people think about this one.

Edited by Dreamysyu

Watched Pokemon (2019) episode 130 last week. Ep 131 comes out in 3 days hands up hands up

Other than that the only anime of recent that I've been able to connect with on a deep level is Sonny Boy. It's super good, super fun, it's def not for everyone but give it a go its only 12 ep. And if you wanna talk about it msg me id be happy to. 

Sifted through some other stuff hyped up by the community but I guess after years and years and hundreds and hundreds (and hundreds...) of anime I just can't enjoy it the same anymore. Well, except for my religious weekly attendance of pokemon which even after 18 years I still remain passionate about every coming week

On 10/31/2022 at 11:06 PM, Dreamysyu said:

On another note, have you watched Bibliophile Princess from this season? I'm pretty curious about what people think about this one.

I have not heard about that one at all until you mentioned it. This season is so noisy it's pretty easy to miss stuff, but I'll add it to my growingly-desperate to-watch list. :P

Recently watched Maou-jou de Oyasumi where the titular princess is kidnapped by the demon lord. Does she want to escape? No. Her only goal is to find a way to get the most comfortable sleep using her ingenuity and resourcefulness, with a complete disregard for anyone else well being. Combine her selfish and demonic personality contrasted with her cutsy voice and moe appearance as the princess torments in the colourful inhabitants of the demon lord castle and you have a peak comedy show.

• HataVNI pinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finished Ascendance of a Bookworm, season 3. Overall, it's still the same anime. I can't talk from the anime-only perspective, since I've read the source material, but I think the anime is pretty decent. It's probably the best they could do with the source material using its limited budget. This season in particular feels a bit short, but it covers only two volumes of the light novel, and there are not that many things happening there, though the events that do happen are pretty great.

Still, I'd heavily recommend reading the LN over watching the anime. There are two main reasons for that. First of all, the anime skips some stuff. It's not anything major, and it's understandable why they do it since the slow pacing of a book wouldn't work here. Still, one of the things I love about this story is its attention to detail, which makes the fantasy world where it takes place feel so real. The anime manages to capture this aspect well enough, but the LN is still much better in this regard. Secondly, there's simply no way the anime is ever going to give us the complete story. The LN it is based on is truly massive with more than 30 volumes, and these three seasons of anime covered only the first 7. Honestly, I'm not expecting another season of anime at all, which is a shame, since some people consider these parts to be an extended prologue, and the latest season ended on a rather depressing note.

Talking about this story in general, it's pretty amazing. The world-building is insane, and the characters are pretty good as well. The MC actually has to adapt to the fantasy world, since her values clash with the values of its inhabitants so much. And not in the edgy Shield Hero type of way. She actually stays true to herself, though becomes slightly more flexible. Overall, it's my favorite isekai and is the perfect example that, if done right, this genre has a lot more potential than the popular opinion suggests. I recall, in the past, when I just started the book, I said that this is a story that avoids the usual isekai cliches, but going further in the story it becomes pretty obvious that I was actually wrong. As it turns out even by the end of the part that the anime covered, it actually has a lot of common tropes, but they are included in a rather creative way that makes them not feel out of place here.

Overall, if we are talking about the LN, i'd give it a strong 9/10, or maybe even higher, depending on how it ends. As for the anime, I'm pretty torn about what rating to give it. I guess I'll settle on 8/10.

PS. Also, this.

Spoiler

Edited by Dreamysyu

• 2 weeks later...

Watch Otome Domain H OVA, and it's pretty clear that we should enjoy the multiple sex scenes that Minato has with Kazari, even though it's not really fully adapted Kazari's route beside the sex scenes. Well I guess it's nice that Otome Domain manage to get an anime despite that it's only one episode H OVA.

Edited by littleshogun

• 3 weeks later...

Last year I finished watching Stone Ocean. Great animation as expect from David Production.

Spoiler

This Dio seemed different from part 3 or 1. I like the comic relief from Anasui. What a shame, made in heaven doesn't exist so I know what I will consume in the future.

This year I completed Muv-Luv Alternative Season 2.

Spoiler

Marimo scene made me thought of Mami from Madoka.

Currently, I'm watching Lycoris Recoil. I didn't expect Hideo Kojima to notice this anime. Shame he is not aware of Girls' Frontline.
I'm waiting for the full episodes of Bofuri Season 2.

Edited by ztrepzilius

• 2 months later...

I'm a sucker for classical literature, so, any adaption into Anime gets me excited. I started watching Re Zero and soon realized that the screenplay is disjointed and dreamlike in the pattern similar to Shakespeare's A Midnight's Summer Dream. The more obvious connection is the character Puck in the anime which is a clear inspiration from Shakespeare's play with the same name. 

Apart from that I have been watching Durarara. A series on magical realism - a term I was attracted to after reading Murakami's works. Murakami's works revolve on extraordinary things happening to ordinary people. The WInd-up bird Chronicle and The Wild Sheep Chase are exemplary examples of it and Durarara is nothing short of what I have read from the great novelist's works.

watching Bungou Stray Dogs S2, I thought the first season was kinda meh, It didn't really grab me, but the completionist in me decided ringtones free to watch a bit more and so far season 2 is much more interesting(albeit 4 episodes in) so I'm hoping I like it more overall after I'm done.

Kimetsu no yaiba ost

Edited by LiamEvans210

• 1 month later...

I've been slumped with RL stuff for the past few months, but now that things got a little less hectic I started to resurrect my anime watching habits. Outside of the seasonal stuff, I've resumed my quest to consume all the worst anime in history and my most recent pick is Conception, an adaptation of a weird, pregnancy-themed PSP RPG, basically a non-eroge with the most eroge plot ever.

The general premise is an isekai where the protagonist has to conceive 12 magic babies with chosen waifus (including his cousin who isekai'd along with him) to clear out a magic labyrinth and save the other world. I don't know that much about the original game, but the anime version is a very low budget, clunky parody of harem fantasy, much more a not-very-elaborate joke than an genuine ecchi or romance of any kind... And honestly, I enjoy it a lot more than most people did. It's bad on purpose (very obviously so) and I quite like the absurd way in which it treats genre tropes and constantly makes fun of itself. I understand why a good majority of people would recoil from it like if touching red hot metal, but I unironically enjoy it halfway though the season, in a similar way I liked Don't Hurt Me, My Healer and this season's The Legendary Hero is Dead. 6/10?

Edited by Plk_Lesiak