What Anime are you watching now?

Ryoji

• 2 weeks later...

Soo, looking further for feel-good isekai trash, I stumbled upon Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear, which I liked to a surprising degree. While still silly and pretty shallow, I think it nails the feel-good power fantasy to a much higher degree than this season's 300 Slime anime, despite the two shows sharing a lot of their DNA (female protagonist with insane powers, quick resolution of all drama)... That one had a strong opening, but the writing and characters never managed to utilize the idea to a proper degree. In the Bear anime, it's more of a reverse effect – the opening is kind of weak (the way the protagonist is isekai'd is pretty bland and her first moments in the new world not very exciting), but it build up towards something quite satisfying. This is mostly because it focuses on the protagonist and the few core characters a lot and the adventures are pretty meaningful.

The protag herself, Yuna, is rather mature and strong-willed, despite being a teenager and the overall gag of her being both formidable and fairly smart despite wearing the ridiculous bear costume (and often using cute bear-themed powers) works quite well. People treat her like a weirdo at first but quickly learn to look past the exterior when she shows what she's capable of, which is, well, very human. She's also not omnipotent, despite being able to do a lot of game-like BS – I loved the whole section late in the season when she had to crack the puzzle of taking down a kraken and just barely pulled it of. All that struggle motivated mostly by her love for seafood and the local fishermen not being able to work with the monster lurking. Also, her sisterly relationship with Fina, which builds throughout the whole first season, is more than lovely – the "found family" theme is important for the show, but also not fully realized – Yuna connects with a lot of people, but stays pretty independent and driven by her own whims and instincts throughout the whole thing, while the bond with Fina stands out as the first and deepest she made in the new world. Overall, it's that kind of extremely-wholesome power fantasy that shows with male protagonists very rarely create, if ever (the reborn as a slime isekai being the only example I can really think of). Like, the first episodes of Deathmarch made me hopeful for something like this, but it ended up with a slave harem...

So, I'm not sure if this show deserves more than 7/10 and it's targeted towards a very specific audience... But if you're in that group, you'll likely enjoy it a lot, just like I did.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I guess I should give some context to my previous post. 🙂

Anyway, I recently watched Selector Infected WIXOSS (and its second season, Selector Spread WIXOSS) It was an alright anime. I wouldn't really call it a hidden gem like some online comments I've seen before watching, but my final impressions were still positive, and I can recommend you to watch it if you feel that you might be interested.

Basically, it's a card game anime that was probably quite heavily influenced by Madoka Magica. Our protagonist, Ruuko, gets gifted a set of card for a new popular card game, WIXOSS, and then she realizes that there's a moving and talking girl inside one of her cards. Later she meets another girl with a similar card, who explains to Ruuko that she is now a selector, and now she should fight other selectors in magical card battles. If she wins enough times, her wish will come true. If she loses three times, she will lose her card and will stop being a selector. There's a small problem with that though: Ruuko doesn't really have a wish. But she still decides to fight because she has nothing to lose. Right?..

Honestly, my main problem with this anime is how the battles are presented. Well, maybe I'm just not a fan of soft magic systems. I've never really watched a card game anime before, and I doubt they are different in that respect, but there aren't really any rules to the card battles here. Basically, we know that one of the girls is stronger than another, and thus she wins. Or one of the girls isn't fighting seriously, because somebody said something bad to her, or because she can't bring herself to fight seriously for reasons I can't explain due to spoilers, but she needs to come to her senses to win. You just have to believe what the other characters say about the game progression, because it isn't really possible to see the results of their actions for yourself. When the anime actually presents some rules, they will probably eventually become broken by the power of will or something like that. Though, as I was typing it I realized that it's not really a big problem in this case, because it is done to move the plot forward and kind of fits the type of show this is. So, I guess, in the end, it's not really a problem. Huh.

The characters themselves are a bit cartoonish, but pretty good. It was interesting to see the MC and her friends develop throughout the series. As for the antagonists, Iona turned out to be pretty interesting in the second season, actually. Akira... is just an ordinary yandere. The plot was actually surprisingly unpredictable. It was obvious from the very start that there was going to be some darker twist with the battles, as the show didn't try to hide its atmosphere. However, I never really guessed any of the major twists correctly. Well, technically I was correct with one thing, but for the wrong reasons.

As for the technical stuff, I'm not an expert, but I think this anime is pretty well made. There weren't any things that irritated me. Well, with the exception of Tama's voice, perhaps. :ababa: One thing that stood out to me, however, is that some of the backgrounds are really well drawn and pretty to look at.

As for the final rating, I think I will give this anime as a whole 7/10. The second season is slightly better than the firs, but I don't see any reason to give them different ratings, since they don't work on their own.

OPs and EDs here. The second OP has spoilers.

Edit. Oh, and I should probably mention that it has some incest.

Edited by Dreamysyu

• 1 month later...

How are you doing people? I haven't been around lately but strangely enough,I'm still alive and even watching trash-tier anime!

First, I've finished The Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent which, sadly, fell more into cheesy romance tropes more than the isekai power fantasy in the second part of the season. It's quite an interesting specimen in general, as it does with josei tropes basically the same thing trashiest isekais usually do with shounen tropes – the world is just so convenient for the protagonist it's laughable, but at the same time, the female fantasy is infinitely more wholesome and gentle, so I kind of enjoy it. It's a slow-burn, pleasant series where conflict is barely existent and no forms of malice seem possible outside of natural disasters... But it's all heartwarming enough to justify its existence. Maybe it'd be less so if such shows were common, but this specific spin on isekai wasn't something I've seen before and felt fresh enough to not bore me. 

Than, I fell into the trap of watching Love Tyrant which I knew was a shit anime, but still seemed amusing enough from clips. The clips, sadly, were the best part about it. Bad comedic timing, poor writing, flat characters without charm, plot that for some reason tries to transition from episodic comedy to emotional drama and immediately falls flat on its face... From average ratings you would not think it'd be horrible to watch, but I consider it one of my worst anime experiences to date: not good enough to actually be fun and not bad enough to make for a good ironic watch. It's not "so bad it's good" or outrageous enough to keep you engaged, just a tone-deaf pile of utter mediocrity.

And possibly going even further down the drain, I've started watching The Hidden Dungeon Only I Can Enter. And well, entertainment value is at least infinitely higher than Love Tyrant (that is, higher than zero). In a way, it might be my new favourite perv anime – it has this utterly charming quality of being full-on ecchi and being consistently mild in all it does. The premise is basically the protagonist being OP and regenerating his mana through pleasure – all kinds, like good food and drink, but primarily through mildly sexual acts with a small cast of willing heroines, with a very obvious main girl. And he has to recharge often, as he will die if he overspends his power. I'm not sure if that makes sense to anyone else, but what makes Hidden Dungeon enjoyable to me, outside of being generally a somewhat-competent trash fantasy show, is that it's not over-the-top juvenile – it's just the right, mostly believable levels of juvenile, with surprising attention to detail in both how the world is built and how the ecchi is done. And it's not even a tease, like, you have a fully consensual kissing scene in the first episode! What anime does that? I dunno, I might be crazy, but I respect what this show does. :wahaha:

9 hours ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

How are you doing people? I haven't been around lately but strangely enough,I'm still alive and even watching trash-tier anime!

First, I've finished The Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent which, sadly, fell more into cheesy romance tropes more than the isekai power fantasy in the second part of the season. It's quite an interesting specimen in general, as it does with josei tropes basically the same thing trashiest isekais usually do with shounen tropes – the world is just so convenient for the protagonist it's laughable, but at the same time, the female fantasy is infinitely more wholesome and gentle, so I kind of enjoy it. It's a slow-burn, pleasant series where conflict is barely existent and no forms of malice seem possible outside of natural disasters... But it's all heartwarming enough to justify its existence. Maybe it'd be less so if such shows were common, but this specific spin on isekai wasn't something I've seen before and felt fresh enough to not bore me. 

Than, I fell into the trap of watching Love Tyrant which I knew was a shit anime, but still seemed amusing enough from clips. The clips, sadly, were the best part about it. Bad comedic timing, poor writing, flat characters without charm, plot that for some reason tries to transition from episodic comedy to emotional drama and immediately falls flat on its face... From average ratings you would not think it'd be horrible to watch, but I consider it one of my worst anime experiences to date: not good enough to actually be fun and not bad enough to make for a good ironic watch. It's not "so bad it's good" or outrageous enough to keep you engaged, just a tone-deaf pile of utter mediocrity.

And possibly going even further down the drain, I've started watching The Hidden Dungeon Only I Can Enter. And well, entertainment value is at least infinitely higher than Love Tyrant (that is, higher than zero). In a way, it might be my new favourite perv anime – it has this utterly charming quality of being full-on ecchi and being consistently mild in all it does. The premise is basically the protagonist being OP and regenerating his mana through pleasure – all kinds, like good food and drink, but primarily through mildly sexual acts with a small cast of willing heroines, with a very obvious main girl. And he has to recharge often, as he will die if he overspends his power. I'm not sure if that makes sense to anyone else, but what makes Hidden Dungeon enjoyable to me, outside of being generally a somewhat-competent trash fantasy show, is that it's not over-the-top juvenile – it's just the right, mostly believable levels of juvenile, with surprising attention to detail in both how the world is built and how the ecchi is done. And it's not even a tease, like, you have a fully consensual kissing scene in the first episode! What anime does that? I dunno, I might be crazy, but I respect what this show does. :wahaha:

Hmmm, I'm adding 2/3 to the list...

16 hours ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

The Hidden Dungeon Only I Can Enter. And well, entertainment value is at least infinitely higher than Love Tyrant (that is, higher than zero). In a way, it might be my new favourite perv anime – it has this utterly charming quality of being full-on ecchi and being consistently mild in all it does.

Well... For some reason I was mildly interested in the original novel without knowing anything about it. Now I'm not interested anymore. :mare:

First, I've finished The Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent which, sadly, fell more into cheesy romance tropes more than the isekai power fantasy in the second part of the season. It's quite an interesting specimen in general, as it does with josei tropes basically the same thing trashiest isekais usually do with shounen tropes – the world is just so convenient for the protagonist it's laughable, but at the same time, the female fantasy is infinitely more wholesome and gentle, so I kind of enjoy it. It's a slow-burn, pleasant series where conflict is barely existent and no forms of malice seem possible outside of natural disasters... But it's all heartwarming enough to justify its existence.

Oh, yeah, after I recommended it to you I decided to go and see how the anime is compared to the source material. I'm not sure if I actually watched it to the end. I think, there were still one or two episodes left. I think it gave the source material justice, as far as I can tell, considering that I read it years ago, before it was officially picked up for translation. They completely got rid of the game-like level system, but, honestly, it was only mentioned in the novel a few times anyway, and the anime pretty much showed everything that it implied in a different way.

I believe I mentioned it in the past, but the story being very wholesome is exactly the reason why I enjoyed it so much. I understand what you say about the world being convenient and the romance being cheesy. And, truth be told, I probably won't finish the novel since I pretty much got enough sweetness from this story already, and it's time to move to something else before it gets bad. On the other hand, I'd say that the fact that the conflict is nonexistent is a massive advantage this series has compared to many other "wish-fulfilling" female-oriented isekais. Honestly, I find it extremely annoying how many of isekais, both female and male oriented, add cheap badly written angst and drama just for the sake of there being drama, and to make the later "healing" parts seem different. Usually, the protagonist is literally the kindest and the most gentle person ever, but everyone bullies them and hates them just because they are assholes or idiots, and etcetera. Actually, this novel/anime manages to subvert many cliches typically associated with the stories like that. It's has an extremely common beginning, with two people being summoned, and the MC being neglected after that. On the other hand, the MC quickly found her place in the world; the other characters realized her worth and didn't try too much to make her life miserable due to their stubbornness; and, finally, the fact that the other summoned person didn't turn out to be a literal Hitler in a body of a schoolgirl. Overall, this story is still very cliche, but the fact that it skips these particular tropes, in my opinion, just make it feel more tasteful. Sure, it's a wish-fulfillment story, but it doesn't pretend to be something else, and it does the job it takes extremely well.

I'd watch this series after a difficult day or when I feel bad. I wouldn't recommend to watch it if you want something epic or something like that, but it should be given. :)

Maybe it'd be less so if such shows were common, but this specific spin on isekai wasn't something I've seen before and felt fresh enough to not bore me. 

Well, since I read a lot of female-oriented isekais in novel and manga format, I pretty much got to the point where it's hard to impress me, and I find many of the common tropes extremely annoying. On the other hand, for some reason not many of them go this particular route. And, like we should probably expect from something that originates from web-novels, the writing in most of those is a lot worse, so I'd say Seijou still stands out.

1 hour ago, Dreamysyu said:

Actually, this novel/anime manages to subvert many cliches typically associated with the stories like that. It's has an extremely common beginning, with two people being summoned, and the MC being neglected after that. On the other hand, the MC quickly found her place in the world; the other characters realized her worth and didn't try too much to make her life miserable due to their stubbornness; and, finally, the fact that the other summoned person didn't turn out to be a literal Hitler in a body of a schoolgirl. Overall, this story is still very cliche, but the fact that it skips these particular tropes, in my opinion, just make it feel more tasteful. Sure, it's a wish-fulfillment story, but it doesn't pretend to be something else, and it does the job it takes extremely well.

Right, what I didn't mention is that I actually enjoyed the drama around the second saint and the way her story was resolved to a decent degree. While in a normal series indeed either her or the prince would simply be villains, here it's probably the most nuanced and emotional part of the plot. And overall, what I said about the final act is kind of a minor complaint, although...

Spoiler

...I don't even mind that the final message is about saint's power coming from love, I just think it'd be a lot more compelling if it wasn't just about her love for the Captain and her constantly getting bashful like a teenager. It makes all the other connections she made in the new world and the kindness she received kind of meaningless. I like my romance subplot all-right, but the protagonist's journey in the first chapter felt like it was about a bit more than just "the blonde guy is hot". 😛

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

7 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

Well... For some reason I was mildly interested in the original novel without knowing anything about it. Now I'm not interested anymore. :mare:

Going a bit deeper into the anime, I can't imagine the original being worth anyone's time TBH. There are some gloriously inappropriate moments in the show that can be enjoyable on some level, but generally, it's the kind of content that makes some sense in decently-animated form, but would be completely dull to read through. And whenever it strays away from dumb comedy, it gets boring right away. If anyone watched it and remembers the giant tiger episode, they might know what I'm talking about – it was not only weirdly dull and humorless, but also did a tonal 180 at the end with the weirdest sexual joke I might've seen in all anime.

There are still things I like about it though, mainly the small harem and the absolute openness in which the show embraces the bad meme that it is. A bit like Maou-sama Retry, but infinitely more pervy. Also, the incel parody in episode 5 was so out there that I won't be able to fully hate this series or consider it forgettable no matter what happens in the last few episodes. xD

Edit: And after finishing the last few episodes, they weren't horrible, but they were mostly your average. serviceable action plot. Also, in the end everything evolved in the traditional harem fashion, with more girls being added, without much personality or context... The final rating is "meh", although still with some funny moments to enjoy. The initial act was wacky and had some creative energy in it, but that didn't translate into a full season, everything becoming rather stale and a bit too serious after 5th episode. Kind of like Love Tyrant, it just couldn't commit to the comedy and self-aware stupidity for long enough to make the formula consistently fun. I'm mildly disappointed. :<

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Over the last couple of weeks I watched the anime adaptations of Key VNs I hadn't seen yet, namely Air, Little Busters and Rewrite.

Air: This is the only one out of the three where I haven't read the VN so I can't really comment on how good of an adaption it is. What I can say is that I enjoyed it quite a lot despite the rushed pacing at times. I feel like three or four more episodes to properly establish the heroines and backstory could have worked wonders for its general quality because what is there in the anime is in no way weaker than Kanon imo except maybe for the one route by the guy who hasn't written anything since whose name I'm too lazy to look up. It's quite atmospheric and Air as a story feels like the logical link between Kanon and Clannad thematically. I get why it is the closest thing Key has to a "forgotten" VN, with the game being (and looking) quite old and the anime falling somewhat short of the amazing adaptations of Kanon (at least the one by KyoAni) and Clannad, but I'd still highly recommend checking it out.

Little Busters: Out of the VNs written by Maeda I think Little Busters is the hardest to adapt, mainly because of all the minigames that make up a lot of its charm that won't work as well in a linear medium. Considering that I thought the adaption was pretty solid even though the drop in production quality when compared to Kanon or Clannad is immediately noticable. I feel like they tweaked a few of the heroines' personalities a bit, sometimes for better (Kotomi), sometimes for worse (Haruka). Also some of the heroine routes were actually handled better in the anime than the VN, especially in Mio's case. And is it just me, or is there a lot more fanservice than in the KyoAni adaptations? I'm not fundamentally opposed to it, but in a couple of emotional scenes it got quite annoying.

Rewrite: I know this one is kind controversial, as it has an original route and is pretty obviously rushed trying to cut down an 80+ hours VN into 24 episodes. Despite that I think this version of Rewrite is probably close the best that's possible considering the restraints in terms of time and budget the studio apparently had to work with. Yes, the way they handle Lucia's and Shizuru's backstories is clunky, and the bad CG, animation and direction in some scenes when compared to others make it pretty obvious what parts of the anime they thought were important to get right and which ones not so much. But I think in terms of what Rewrite wants to convey as a story they did a solid job. The new route itself captures the spirit of the VN well enough and where they make changes to mechanics or personalities they are sensible. Would I recommend it someone who hasn't read the original? Still no. For that it's just moving through things way to fast to make sense of what's happening without prior knowledge. But I think it shows they consulted Tanaka Romeo for the new route and if you're looking for a somewhat different take on some material you already know, I think its worth checking out.

3 hours ago, alpacaman said:

This is the only one out of the three where I haven't read the VN so I can't really comment on how good of an adaption it is.

Good enough, i believe. The two non-main girls' stories are a bit rushed, and I found the medieval part more enjoyable to read than to watch, but the other parts are exactly the same in both formats.

And is it just me, or is there a lot more fanservice than in the KyoAni adaptations?

I haven't seen the first season of the anime, but, to be fair, LB! visual novel has some fanservice as well.

Would I recommend it someone who hasn't read the original?

I watched some episode reviews on youtube as it was coming out, and some people literally couldn't understand what was happening in the later parts of the first season. 😄 I agree that this anime makes a nice addition to the VN if you read it, but I still consider it one of the worst anime I've ever watched. To be fair, I don't really watch bad anime.

• 1 month later...

So, signifying my return to life after a few months of physical and emotional misery (yay!), I've starting watching bottom-tier anime again. My first choice randomly became Monster Girl Doctor, which I downloaded before the anime-watching-break to my CR app and hey, it was way less terrible than I expected! As far as harem trash can be my guilty pleasure, it can become so juvenile and shallow that it gets irritating even as brainless time waster. This anime kept a surprisingly good balance of things: episodes that focus on medical cases rather than fanservice overload, heroines with decently defined personalities and standing in the show's world... We even don't focus on the cookie-cutter protag that much, with girls interacting with each other in meaningful ways and regularly getting some spotlight. More than that, there's some passable worldbuilding involving the city where humans and monsters live together after a long war between them, and there's a really good variety of non-human races represented.

Of course, it's still trash-tier (including cheap visuals and forgettable music) and can get obnoxious with its harem tropes, but I was surprised how the show maintained a nice, relaxing tone and decent pacing all throughout. Even the protagonist himself, as bland as he is, is less a clueless moron and more just too dedicated to his work to give much attention to the affection he gets. It's these kind of nuances that make the difference between unwatchable trash and arguably-enjoyable trash to me. :3 The final verdict is something like... 6,5/10? Quite watchable trash indeed!

Next I wanted to check out The Faraway Paladin, another show I downloaded and never got to watch. I initially heard some good things about it, but it apparently went downhill in a drastic fashion... I'm discussing internally whether it's a good reason to not watch it or exactly the reason to watch it ASAP. :P

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

• 3 weeks later...

Anime Series Every Fan Should Be Binge-Watching Right Now

Death Note. Madhouse/NTV. "I think anyone who loves a good crime or police drama will really take to Death Note. ...

Attack on Titan. MBS. ...

Fullmetal Alchemist. JNN. ...

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. JNN. ...

Yuri!!! on Ice. Crunchyroll. ...

Naruto. TXN. ...

Fairy Tail. TXN. ...

Elfen Lied. AT-X.

krnt.run

myindigocard app

Edited by bekzclz11

• 3 weeks later...

So, I was mostly cut from internet for a bit, but I've got some series downloaded on my tablet and ended up watching some... Interesting stuff.

First, The Irregular at Magic High School... What in the actual f***. I just can't get over how much this series destroys itself with its OP protagonist. Who (warning: SPOILERS!) starts as unassuming badass (more or less a Yuuji from Grisaia kind of character), but is quickly revealed to be:

- A master-class martial artist,

- World's best magic engineer,

- Literally immortal,

- Literally able to make and unmake things at will(!!!!),

- Able to heal and resurrect people with minor limitations,

- A living tactical nuke.

So, this literal living god is shunned by his magical clan because... He's not a "real" mage. Still, his power level manages to kill all tension and cohesion in the story, as there's no challenge that... Well, would actually be a challenge for him, and there's no stakes because he can repair anything. What a freakin' mess, wasting a ton of actually cool ideas and world-building (even if the latter is often done with awkward info-dumps). Also, the incest... Is so uncomfortable that it even makes a degenerate such as myself feel distaste.

With protag's powers scaled down, it would actually be pretty cool visual novel material, as a VN could do something meaningful with the imouto character and other heroines (who are, admittedly, mostly quite badass)... But as anime it's honestly atrocious. Although, I guess it looked and sounded good enough to keep me entertained at the very shallow levels. 6/10?

Speaking of shallow entertainment. I also checked two isekais I wanted to watch, A Farawar Paladin an In the Land of Leadale. The Paladin show got some really bad rap, but I feel a need to defend it to some extent. It's cheaply-produced and iterative, but there are details about it that I really, really like. It's an isekai with no romance or harem, where the protagonist becomes a champion and devoted follower of a mostly-neglected deity. Maybe I'm easily amused, but the way his motivations are presented (having vague memories of dying as a hikikomori and desperately trying to make this new life meaningful – and this really plays into his decisions, like rejecting the immortality of undeath) and some of the characters he meets really left me with an impression. For example, the Bishop, head of the church in the city the protag visits mid-season... He is presented as this boorish tyrant, considered corrupt and power hungry, in contrast to his deputy. However, his first interaction with the main character suggests that there's more to his... And later he has a pretty brilliant dialogue about why he doesn't use divine blessings in public. This is NOT the kind of writing I usually see in crappy isekais. I mean, the show is still quite full of cliches and rather heavy-handed drama, but it's not trash despite of what many reviews would suggest. 7/10

Leadale... Is much less surprising, but I also think it's a bit underrated. It's a feel-good, "finding family in another world" kind of show and... Well, it just delivers. It also treats the fantasy setting in a way I enjoy, for example showing the protagonist confronting with the fact that the world she messes with is no longer just a game and her actions has very real - and deadly - consequences. There's also the pretty weird idea that the protag starts the story already having NPC children (now all holding important position withing the world) she has to deal with. It's shallow and meandering, more or less as you would expect from this brand of isekai, but outside of the children characters being too one-note I can't see a reason to hate it. If you don't mind these "pointless" power fantasies, you'll get exactly what you're singed up for – and I imagine the weak reception it got is mostly due to general isekai attrition. 7/10 if you're the intended audience.

Now, I think I'll catch up with the second season of Restaurant to Another World, it's probably not healthy to just live off of amusing trash...

Edited by Plk_Lesiak