What Anime are you watching now?

Ryoji

2 hours ago, AstralSword said:

I watched "The Rising of The Shield Hero" anime and while the portrail of the suffering Martyr gets overly abused sometimes, the anime ends when this aspect of the saga is about to come to an end as well.

Sadly, that IS the impression most people get from the first season.

The second half is not as entertaining as first one. 

2 hours ago, AstralSword said:

Fortunately, the second season supposedly will cover at least the Spirit Tortoise Arc, which covers quite a bit of character development and introduces a lot more regarding how the world works.

It should settle for new and old fans alike, while solving the problems the first season had.

Is that so ? Look promising.

Just now, droganpc said:

The second half is not as entertaining as first one. 

Is that so ? Look promising.

Yes indeed. The first half goes pretty much until the first wave ends and we have the duel between Naofumi and Motoyasu. This is covered in the very first volume of the light novel alone.

The Spirit Tortoise Arc validates the Shield Hero as the only one (up to that point) the whole world can count on, in full contrast with the "suffering Martyr" thingey.

Otherworldly threats come to light in full force, even crashing the boundaries set for the world the MC was summoned to.

I'll say no more. It's best if we just wait for it to air and hope the adaptation will do the source material justice 🤞

Edited by AstralSword

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So yeah, this might be something of a hot take, but I don't think Demon Slayer was good at all. I don't mind it going for a simple plot, and there were some things I found interesting, but it's a major flaw when 80% of the anime's storytelling comes from internal monologues. Not only is it lazy since it requires little to no planning, but it fails to fully utilize its assets as an anime. I wouldn't mind it as much if it was kept to a minimum, but they packed so much into every episode that it severely impacted my enjoyment of the series.

There is so much information that anime is able to convey compared to something like a book, so it makes no sense for Demon Slayer to restrict itself to the degree it has been. Anime can benefit from a variety of techniques such as facial expressions, meaningful dialogue, camera zooms, sound direction, atmosphere, and various other aspects that are unique to the medium. But no, Demon Slayer decided to hamfist almost everything with monologues and poorly timed flashbacks.

It's a shame too; I really wanted to like this anime. The animation is stunning, but no matter how much you dress up garbage, it's still garbage. I probably would've enjoyed this more as a picture book than I did as an anime. Other than the animation, I have absolutely no respect for what this anime does. Hell, even that one awesome fight scene on episode 19 was bogged down by this.

4/10

Edited by Kenshin_sama

Hey guys, does Naruto get significantly worse after the Chunin Exams end?

I just watched what felt like the climax of the show, where Naruto transforms into the nine-tailed fox to defeat a legendary sand spirit and the hokage sacrifices himself to defeat the central antagonist up to this point, and suddenly the next episode is like "Sasuke's brother and his angry fish friend beat up some jounin," so I'm wondering if it's worth it to continue watching.

• 1 month later...

I have just finished watching Kenka Banchou Otome: Girl Beats Boys and I love anime despite being short but it have great story with friendship between guys and I love fighting scene very much.

I hope it get second season since ending was so sudden and I want to see Hikari beat third students and how he return to normal life as girl.

I recommend to give anime a try.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

just sat through the two parts of MEGAZONE 23 once more.

though a pervasive sense of deep Banality permeates the rather unlikable characters, (-YMMV-)
the soundtrack, as well as the 80's-futuristic visual style, is nothing short of phenomenal.

if the basis if it all wasn't so damn-blasted Boneheaded to the core, i would surely have one of my very top Anime greats here.

as it stands, it manages to to be -superficially, at least- an Audio/Visual tour-de-force, and that puts it up there pretty far for me in any case...

• 3 weeks later...

I've been a bit depressed lately and somehow I circled back to my primary remedy for such moods, that is, watching god-awful anime. For starters, I've finished Gleipnir which I nearly finished those few seasons ago when my anime-watching habits suddenly died and made me abandon the whole thing for the sake of watching v-tubers. The fact the two v-tubers I now follow are on break probably was an important factor in why this resurgence happened... But nonetheless, Gleipnir is what I'd call competent trash. It's outlandish in its narrative and edgy beyond all reason, but is also produced very nicely and between the angst-filled cliches and very obvious fanservice there are some cool story bits in it. The relationship between the protagonist and the main girl even evolves into something strangely wholesome(?) by the end of the first season, as he overcomes his whimpiness (basically becomes a cold-blooded killer, but one with a purpose) and she realizes she can't treat him as a mere tool any more. It didn't even feel that forced. Also, I liked some of the nightmare-fuel sequences/body horror. Still a very inconsistent story and infinitely trashy, but has way more charm than I expected. Interestingly enough, I can stomach this kind of mood in fantasy, while I can't stand it in "realistic" anime. I liked this, but hated Happy Sugar Life with a passion... I wonder how Mahou Shoujo Site will work? Probably my next pick (yup, I'm that much of a bottom-feeder).

On the other hand the second pile of steaming crap I've decided to consume proved as stinky as people said it is. Arifureta... Where do I even start? Criminally bad pacing. Nothing in this story feels properly elaborated on and intelligently presented. More than that, the more important the plotpoint, the more glossed over it seems to be. The protag crafting his replacement arm? Literally one shot. The relationship with the vampire girl turning from random encounter to romance? Maybe 5 minutes. Nothing is meaningful, nothing is earned, nothing has proper logic behind it. I mean, the frickin' Smartphone Isekai anime had better story flow than this. Also the use of CG... I think this had a decent budget? It sure doesn't look the part... 

I think the only redeeming quality might be the humour? That also only applies to the initial episodes, for the most part. Like, the scene when protagonist encounters the ancient prison in the first labyrinth and just goes "nope, not freeing whatever's there" was hilarious. Honestly, if the whole thing relied on humour and protagonist's selfish attitude a bit more it could've been a bit more fun. But in the end, it falls in the same trap as most isekais, that is the protagonist being literal Jesus even if he tries to hide it. Well, I guess he murders people a lot (the slaver network sequence is literally a rampage in the middle of a major city with massive material loss), so there's that part, but somehow the series still tries to sell him as a hero. Lame.

And as the cherry on top, loli vampire as the main heroine. And not even an interesting one, she's probably all the things you though after reading those two words and nothing more. I wonder how botched this series is as an adaptation, considering the LN is relatively respected? Can't imagine those story elements adding to anything decent even if they were handled better (outside of the initial concept of protagonist's powers and how his transformation happens)...

4 hours ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

I wonder how botched this series is as an adaptation, considering the LN is relatively respected?

Well, I've never seen the anime, but from the way you describe it, it seems to be quite botched. Sounds as if they included the main plot point but skipped all the explanations and the character motivations. I mean, it's not like the original light novel is that good. The writing is pretty amateurish, and the story is kind of garbagey (in a good sense). I mean, the author literally used "chuuni lover" as a pseudonym when he posted the original WN, so what else would you expect. :serasmug: Still, the pacing is extremely good, and, unlike many light novels which lose any sense of direction after a few volumes, the story in this one actually feels like it knows where it is going, and the humor is indeed genuinely funny. The MC isn't a self-insert, and even if he is an edgelord, it kind of makes sense for him to be one after everything he went though, and he's also extremely entertaining to watch.

Also, the relationship between the MC and Yue in the first volume is actually one of the best things about the LN, and it's a shame that it was kind of ruined after it turned into harem. Though on their own Shea and Shizuku are also pretty good.

PS. I've actually just started reading the prequel recently, and I feel like the writing in that one really improved. It's a bit hard to read, honestly, since I already know how it ends. :komari:

8 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

Also, the relationship between the MC and Yue in the first volume is actually one of the best things about the LN, and it's a shame that it was kind of ruined after it turned into harem. Though on their own Shea and Shizuku are also pretty good.

Just from curiosity, does Yue stay as the primary heroine for the whole thing in the LN? The anime suggests she's the only one who's feelings were genuinely returned by the protagonist and this made the harem dynamics somewhat tolerable. At least Hajime wasn't a spineless whimp with no preferences or agency.

On 5/13/2021 at 8:57 AM, Plk_Lesiak said:

Just from curiosity, does Yue stay as the primary heroine for the whole thing in the LN?

Spoiler

My own understanding is that yes, in the sense that any other girl needed a bunch of volumes to even encroach their way to his heart.

After a number of volumes, with Yue's encouragement (and this is important), he starts letting others in, one by one.

15 minutes ago, Novel21 said:

I'm watching Fruits basket again and i enjoy watching it a lot. 

I have missed watch that anime😀

You mean the remake/the recent one? I think I stalled it around the middle of the second season, but I have to come back to it, from what I read it only gets better along the way. :3

2 hours ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

You mean the remake/the recent one? I think I stalled it around the middle of the second season, but I have to come back to it, from what I read it only gets better along the way. :3

Yes remake/recent one and yes it's getting better. 

Why did you stalled it? 

19 hours ago, Novel21 said:

Yes remake/recent one and yes it's getting better. 

Why did you stalled it? 

No reason in particular, other things simply got in the way and I threw me out of my watching habits... But I really do not like leaving stuff unfinished, so I was going to come back to it one day and now that I saw the reviews, it would be a crime not to do so. :3

1 hour ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

No reason in particular, other things simply got in the way and I threw me out of my watching habits... But I really do not like leaving stuff unfinished, so I was going to come back to it one day and now that I saw the reviews, it would be a crime not to do so. :3

It happens to me too a lot of times and i have just start to watch season 2. 

Oh man, Mahou Shoujo Site... What a delicious trainwreck! Honestly, from what many people wrote about it, I expected absolute crap, but the way the anime flowed throughout the season makes me semi-respect it. Maybe the most hilarious part is that the core premise (revealed around the end of the season) is pretty much the same exact idea that drove Maggot Baits' plot and got realized in the first ending of that VN (and speaking very seriously, it's one of my favourite endings of all time, sadly attached to a very tiring fetish game and somewhat spoiled by the "true" ending). Basically,

Spoiler

the cause of everything being a morally questionable deity that cumulates negative emotion and suffering to ultimately purge humanity of all dark impulses and create an eternity of peace. The tools this time being not the immortal witches, but the magical girls chosen among particularly miserable and alienated kids.

The one-dimensional psycho characters, the angst, the violence of course are in the same pure-trash category as Happy Sugar Life, also without the interesting visual tricks and voice talent from that anime... But I can stomach that a lot more when it's intertwined with over-the-top fantasy elements. And here those are obviously the ultra-dark spin on magical girl themes, ripping off Madoka in some ways, but without keeping up any pretences. It's obvious that the source of magic powers is horrible from the moment they show up and it only gets worse from there. The drama is extremely over-the-top and tasteless, particularly at the start, when we see the horrible abuse the protagonist goes though from pretty much everyone around her... But as the plot progresses, the "so bad it's good" factor kicks in. The supporting characters and the way relationships between them and the main girls evolve is beyond absurd. There's apparently no serial killed they can't be buddy-buddy with after a short alliance of convenience. Also, every one shows off and abuses powers that literally eat your life with every activation. This kind of nonsense is ever-present, but adds up to a decent amount of dumb fun and even possible laughs on how far the series is willing to go (and boy, it goes places...).

The ending is amazingly corny (also arguably yuri-bait) and leaves the plot mostly unresolved, but how could it be any other way? And at the same time, some of the reveals in the last two episodes were really cool/had potential. Obviously, not something a series this crappy would really capitalize on, but still, it made me enjoy the climax of the season quite a lot... Definitely more than I expected. 4/10, highly recommended. 😆