What Anime are you watching now?

Ryoji

Recently I finished School Rumble series (both seasons & OVAs). It was nice love comedy (with emphasis on comedy ;)) with great characters. There were some serious/more emotional moments well placed here and there as well, and many pariodes/references/easter eggs. Plot was almost nonexistent, and characters relationships haven't progressed too much, but it still was enjoyable ride.

Spoiler

As Akira mentioned at the end of the 2nd season - "Now resetting is complete" :P

Unfortunately ending was really unsatisfying :( Can't blame animators, as apparently manga ended in the same way - they only can be blamed for turning supposed 3rd season into 2-episode OVA (ep 25 and 26). If it was VN, that would be, maybe not bad end, but one of those "normal ends".

So now I demand School Rumble VN, where Kenji could end up with Eri or Yakumo ;)

On 6/19/2019 at 12:03 AM, ittaku said:

No, it is brutally hard to watch. If you could not watch fullmetal alchemist then I suggest you skip made in abyss. It's overall got a positive outlook but the crossroads along the way are disturbing on a grand scale. I cried by eyes out on it.

It was awesome :o so unexpected and sick. But not in a way that would make me feel sad or anything.

4 hours ago, Sonicboom2.0 said:

I'm currently watching Ushio to Tora, I'm really enjoying the ride so far. I'd like to discuss what other people think of the anime too.

It was fun and the amazing thing was the second season was substantially better than the first, making for an extremely satisfying conclusion to the series.

Finally worked my way through Koi Kaze - an incestuous love story which had some rave reviews many years ago. It's dated badly, and I don't even know why the siblings fell in love - the MC is a prick to his sister. I guess tackling an incest story head on is why it got rave reviews. VNs have dulled my senses to incest stories though so it just looks old and uninspiring now.

It's been a while since I watched so many anime back to back.

So, I watched Made in Abyss. The thing that stood out the most to me is that the soundtrack is absolutely amazing. While the number of songs doesn't seem to be very big, they are not only good by themselves but also fitting to the scenes where they are used.

Other than that, the show by itself is consistently good. It has great worldbuilding and interesting characters, and some scenes later in the show were actually pretty disturbing. It's definitely not as lighthearted as the art style may suggest. I didn't notice any real flaws that could drag the quality down other than that the show is unfinished (but it was expected since the mange is still on-going). Definitely recommended.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I finished watching Happy Sugar Life and... I'm kind of puzzled how people can enjoy that. I mean, I read what people defending it claim, but I feel like they watched a completely different show. Calling it a psychological anime makes School Days looks like a PhD thesis in psychology. People call it a comedy, but I haven't seen a single trace of genuine humour or self-parody in it. It's not even outlandish or incompetent enough to be "so bad its good", it's just disgustingly stupid. Haven't seen something this alienating and obnoxious since Calamity of the Zombie Girl, which proudly sits as my only 1/10 on MAL. Happy Sugar Life had literally one somewhat believable character (Hida) who I was slightly disturbed to see murdered, thus it's a 2/10. Disgusting trash.

Oh, and I guess it was some visual and sound gimmicks that could be considered marginally interesting if they were used for a better cause. Not good enough to deserve credit with how pathetic the actual substance of it all is.

On 14/08/2019 at 8:40 AM, Plk_Lesiak said:

I finished watching Happy Sugar Life and... I'm kind of puzzled how people can enjoy that. I mean, I read what people defending it claim, but I feel like they watched a completely different show. Calling it a psychological anime makes School Days looks like a PhD thesis in psychology. People call it a comedy, but I haven't seen a single trace of genuine humour or self-parody in it. It's not even outlandish or incompetent enough to be "so bad its good", it's just disgustingly stupid. Haven't seen something this alienating and obnoxious since Calamity of the Zombie Girl, which proudly sits as my only 1/10 on MAL. Happy Sugar Life had literally one somewhat believable character (Hida) who I was slightly disturbed to see murdered, thus it's a 2/10. Disgusting trash.

Oh, and I guess it was some visual and sound gimmicks that could be considered marginally interesting if they were used for a better cause. Not good enough to deserve credit with how pathetic the actual substance of it all is.

Edgy trash always gets the attention of uh... attention deficit teenagers. Never fear, this crap will be soon forgotten and anyone who tries to watch it in the years to come will rate it appropriately, as you have.

• 2 weeks later...

I've started watching Takagi-san, as I want to catch up to the second season and finish the whole thing before the fall lineup kicks in. I really like that the show is not just about teasing but have genuine romantic undertones. I often have a bit of a problem when it goes to shows in which characters constantly get embarassed, but it's all clever and lighthearted enough here that so far I never got bothered by it. It also always offers some payoff hinting that Takagi teases the protagonist because she genuinely likes him back, not just to have a laugh at his expense. I just hope that the second season will end with a slightly stronger romantic note, but it's also fun and clever enough that I won't be horribly bothered if it doesn't - it's basic rountine is just that good, so if the writing doesn't go to shit, I'll enjoy it all the way through. 

1 hour ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

I've started watching Takagi-san, as I want to catch up to the second season and finish the whole thing before the fall lineup kicks in. I really like that the show is not just about teasing but have genuine romantic undertones. I often have a bit of a problem when it goes to shows in which characters constantly get embarassed, but it's all clever and lighthearted enough here that so far I never got bothered by it. It also always offers some payoff hinting that Takagi teases the protagonist because she genuinely likes him back, not just to have a laugh at his expense. I just hope that the second season will end with a slightly stronger romantic note, but it's also fun and clever enough that I won't be horribly bothered if it doesn't - it's basic rountine is just that good, so if the writing doesn't go to shit, I'll enjoy it all the way through. 

Lucky you enjoy it. Whilst the romantic overtones were nice they were too few and I struggled with Takagi and just wanted to throttle the fucking bitch and gave up a few episodes into season 2.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2019 at 12:13 AM, ittaku said:

Lucky you enjoy it. Whilst the romantic overtones were nice they were too few and I struggled with Takagi and just wanted to throttle the fucking bitch and gave up a few episodes into season 2.

Hah, I wonder how I'll feel about season 2. I just finished Season 1 and the second half of it was quite adorable. It obviously goes overboard with how omnipotent Takagi is (I mean, she's basically less chaotic Joker with better success rate, considering her level of scheming and foresight) and she quite far at times, but... It never felt like it was too much, and I'm actually pretty sensitive when it goes to teasing and constant embarrassment in the things I watch. Last season's Hitoribocchi had that problem, as it kind of repeated the same embarrassing gags over and over again with very little growth from the characters. Here it was a lot more clever and interesting, and quite importantly, Nishikawa was always up for the challenge and the teasing was not only getting him frustrated, but also motivated him to step up his game.

I imagine the problem with Season 2 is that it'll start basically from page 1 and, once more, only get to the fluffy moments around episode 10. But I kind of don't mind? I mean, the payoff of the first season was quite decent. I'd only dislike it if it never made clear that Takagi really likes Nishikata back and didn't make her act on it in some way. If the second season goes just a bit further, it'll still be way less frustrating and inconclusive than 98% of harem anime. :P

Was looking for something good to rewatch with my wife and spotted Kotoura-san and we watched that through. What a great fun show that was. Had a nice balance of (resolving) drama, comedy, light ecchi, and romance. Loved it. It had been so long since I watched it that I'd virtually forgotten what happened. I need to find more gems from the past that I haven't seen in ages instead of watching the vast quantities of new crap that keeps coming out.

Holy fucking shit, Akane Maniax is an OVA series that is actually for Muv Luv fans like me, I was so hyped to see the characters in anime, the ending was lololol Meiya!! But unfortunately has spoilers of Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, haven't watched the anime yet but shit happens, maybe I'll watch Eien soon because it's on my list to watch. 

Currently watching Vinland Saga (anime of the year btw) and getting back into Hero Academia S3. (great shounen despite being a little childish)

Lastly I finished Poco Udon World. It was silly but such a cute anime about tanuki boy. As much as it differs from my usual tastes, it had many good aspects besides comedy involving kid and a guy in his twenties. It was also presenting nice slice of life to reflect upon, and I say that being 25 years old guy myself looking at what I could get by taking different roads, just like the main hero of this anime. Thank God I don't have kid on my head. It was hearthwarming and packed with some feels. Well done anime.

Edited by Saosin

Arifureta (so-so, read the manga !), Okaa-san Online (Poor animation & story) and DanMachi II (My  favorite anime of this season that takes the opposite of everything we've seen so far about the series).

I'm also rewatching my favorite anime HDxD aka "THE masterpiece". :)

• 2 weeks later...

I guess, this month I'm watching more anime than I usually do in a year. :sachi:

Kaguya-sama: Love is War. You know, this show is amazing! Absolutely loved the comedy, and it's exactly the type of romantic comedy that I enjoy the most. The only major drawback is the lack of a satisfying ending, so, I guess, it's time to wait for season 2. I may read the manga, but I don't really enjoy manga as much as VNs, LNs or anime, so I'd rather wait for season 2 for now.

If It's for My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord. Well, it was better than I expected. Definitely a cute and also surprisingly touching story. Again, the only real flaw is the lack of real ending, and, moreover, this show overall feels just like an extended prologue. I probably will read the LN at some point.

Phantom in the Twilight. Just randomly stumbled upon this show on Crunchyroll, and, you know, this one is a good example that I have bad taste. :vanilla: Both the story and the worldbuilding were a complete trainwreck, but, somehow, I still liked this show in the end and enjoyed it immensely. Though, admittedly, I laughed at how cliche and chuuni some scenes were. At the same time, the production values are pretty good, the voice actors are very recognizable, and the protagonist is pretty entertaining to watch too. Also, I quite liked this ending song.

Edited by Dreamysyu

On 16/10/2019 at 9:21 PM, Dreamysyu said:

I guess, this month I'm watching more anime than I usually do in a year. :sachi:

Kaguya-sama: Love is War. You know, this show is amazing! Absolutely loved the comedy, and it's exactly the type of romantic comedy that I enjoy the most. The only major drawback is the lack of a satisfying ending, so, I guess, it's time to wait for season 2. I may read the manga, but I don't really enjoy manga as much as VNs, LNs or anime, so I'd rather wait for season 2 for now.

If It's for My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord. Well, it was better than I expected. Definitely a cute and also surprisingly touching story. Again, the only real flaw is the lack of real ending, and, moreover, this show overall feels just like an extended prologue. I probably will read the LN at some point.

Phantom in the Twilight. Just randomly stumbled upon this show on Crunchyroll, and, you know, this one is a good example that I have bad taste. :vanilla: Both the story and the worldbuilding were a complete trainwreck, but, somehow, I still liked this show in the end and enjoyed it immensely. Though, admittedly, I laughed at how cliche and chuuni some scenes were. At the same time, the production values are pretty good, the voice actors are very recognizable, and the protagonist is pretty entertaining to watch too. Also, I quite liked this ending song.

A good moment for Kaguya-sama, as it just got its season 2 announced.

Trust me, not getting an ending for If It's for My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord might be for the best...

6 hours ago, Jun Inoue said:

A good moment for Kaguya-sama, as it just got its season 2 announced.

Yeah, exactly. I guess, I don't have to read the manga in the end. ^_^

6 hours ago, Jun Inoue said:

Trust me, not getting an ending for If It's for My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord might be for the best...

Well, I've seen some comments that apparently it goes in a pretty weird direction later on. And I have a slight suspicion of what this direction could be. But, I don't know, this story does seem to have potential, and I've seen a lot of other weird stuff already, so I'm still going to try reading it at some point. Probably.