What Anime are you watching now?

Ryoji

If I may talk abut MAL score, I would say that it's only useful for determined on how much that the series is accepted. I admit that I did use the score for determined which anime that is good, although using MAL score on PreCure is useless because the series did never got 8 and I know some fans did find low scored PreCure (Such as DDPC and FwPC) were quite good. And besides, 7 is not a bad score anyway seeing that most of VNs did get average score around 7 at VNDB. So if I may set the high bar, 7.5 to 8.5 sounds fine to me although of course some people can find their own gems in the anime that did have score lower than 7.5.

1 hour ago, littleshogun said:

If I may talk abut MAL score, I would say that it's only useful for determined on how much that the series is accepted. I admit that I did use the score for determined which anime that is good, although using MAL score on PreCure is useless because the series did never got 8 and I know some fans did find low scored PreCure (Such as DDPC and FwPC) were quite good. And besides, 7 is not a bad score anyway seeing that most of VNs did get average score around 7 at VNDB. So if I may set the high bar, 7.5 to 8.5 sounds fine to me although of course some people can find their own gems in the anime that did have score lower than 7.5.

I take ratings with a grain of salt. I find that lower ratings are generally accurate because I don't think I've ever enjoyed an anime that scored below 6 on MAL, but I tend have a lot of disagreements with anime that perform better on the site. Personally, I think it's because if an anime does more than a few things right, people are gonna find some reason to like it no matter how bad it may turn out (hence creating a source of polarity). But if it fails to do just that, then you won't find very many fans coming to its rescue.

As for Precure, ya know I tried getting into that, but I'm just not terribly sure how to properly get into it. I thought I'd start off with the very first Precure series, but somehow that felt like a mistake. I did find the characters surprisingly likeable and I was willing to stick it out a bit just for them, but the series structure was just too damn redundant for me. I found myself with little to look forward to between each episode because it always delivered the same exact thing every time. There was no continuation from previous episodes, no divergences from the standard routine, no hooks, and no surprises. It was so bland I could barely stand it.

But still, I have recently learned that it's not necessary to watch the series in order by air date, and I can basically just jump into anything that piques my interest. I think I'd much rather do that than to struggle with something I don't like. Would you happen to have any recommendations for me to start off with?

Edited by Kenshin_sama

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to rewatch Princess Tutu, and my god, this anime is good! :kosame: Actually, I remember being completely weirded out and skeptical for the first several episodes when I watched it the first time, but now it actually feels amazing from the very beginning. Definitely a must-watch, unless you have very specific taste in anime.

• 2 weeks later...

I finished Cowboy Bebop earlier today. I really enjoyed it, and I loved the ost too! Yokko Kanno is amazing! 

The ending was really sad though. I felt so bad for Spike and Julia. I can't believe they got killed! 

It was still an excellent anime, and I highly recommend it. 

I will also watch the movie someday. 

Rewatched Trigun for the 4t67th time.... Totally worth it.

I also enjoy the soundtrack, which I listen to every now and then while going to work.

I am not really into watching anything new lately, except maybe One Punch Man (well, it is funny as hell... And I can really use this kind of escapism in my days off).

Edited by AstralSword

On 13/04/2019 at 5:27 PM, MirāNoHebi said:

Just watched the 2nd Heaven's Feel movie...and wow. It is exquisite. Superb. Awesome. Splendid visuals. Also...the way Sakura was rendered in a certain scene, well, lets just say that kind of appeal at that kind of proximity in real life you'd explode. Just off the charts.

I have yet to watch that and I am a little worried.

The first movie was as rushed as one could expect, had the flaws one could expect, but overall I enjoyed it.

Sure, some scenes were bound to be cut or rushed.

But the content on the second and third movies is the main reason Heaven's Feel route is so good.

Also, Shirou grabbing Sakura by her waist and calling her his woman is priceless (I doubt this scene will even exist on the movies, but oh well).

Shirou being the one to use the mana excuse just to bang the heroine is just amazingly hilarious (when you compare his actions with the other 2 routes) that you kind of need to accept she managed to get him in the horny side of the Force.

Edited by AstralSword
Typos

I came down with a flu today and as I don't have many resposibilities ATM, decided to spend the next few days catching up with anime. After getting to the current episodes in simulcasts, I've resumed watching Yanada-kun and the Seven Witches which I stalled a while ago and damn, so far it's hands down the best ecchi comedy I've ever seen. Extremely fun and quite cleverly-written, with the kissing scenes (the premise is that the protagonist randomly discovers he has magic powers that work throught a kiss) and mild fanservice being kind of constantly present, but never vulgar or coming out of nowhere... Why can't more shows be like that? :o

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

I watched the SAO movie, Ordinal Scale. Yeah I know, pretty late to the party.

I'll say that I appreciate that they tried to give it a similar vibe to what SAO was at the begining (that is, Aincrad arc). It felt quite nostalgic.

Unfortunately the story was as non sensical as it gets, and I personally can't really get into the action like that. The OST and great animation made it at least enternaining enough so I wasn't bored either. Overall, a good movie to turn your brain off and kill 2 hours of your lifetime.

8 hours ago, Thyndd said:

I watched the SAO movie, Ordinal Scale. Yeah I know, pretty late to the party.

I'll say that I appreciate that they tried to give it a similar vibe to what SAO was at the begining (that is, Aincrad arc). It felt quite nostalgic.

Unfortunately the story was as non sensical as it gets, and I personally can't really get into the action like that. The OST and great animation made it at least enternaining enough so I wasn't bored either. Overall, a good movie to turn your brain off and kill 2 hours of your lifetime.

I watched it for the Asuna nipple.

Last week, had my occasional anime marathon with my friend. We watched three shows, two of which were new for me.

First show was Made in Abyss. At first I thought it was going to be full of furry bait and despair after being exposed to countless Nanachi fanart, but I'm glad to say that it exceeded expectations. I absolutely loved the adventurous feeling the show had going for it, embodied by the characters of Riko and Reg.

Spoiler

Episode 10 was heartbreaking to watch. As much as adventure is something everyone desires at some point in their lives, the danger that accompanies satisfying the urge is very much real. Riko's deadly encounter in the fourth layer of the Abyss was very hard to watch, but all the more inspiring with the strength she was displaying. Thank god for Nanachi being in the right place at the right time.

Nanachi's experiences with the Sovereign of the Dawn was hell as well though. Gotta ask every now and then what kind of monster makes these kids go through what they did, but you can't really expect monsters to answer in a humanly way. I'm looking forward to the impending encounter with the Sovereign, and the continuation of their journey down the Abyss.

God bless this show.

Second show was Violet Evergarden. I expected it to be a romantic show with how there was so much emphasis in the feeling of love from the start, but I am pleasantly surprised with how it turned out. Violet is such a precious person. I absolutely loved watching her develop into the kind of person she wanted to become. Cried every other episode. I'm a crybaby.

Spoiler

The show was a great testament to the power of feelings. Feelings transcending time and space, delivered through words. Not that feelings upfront are any less, but there are some things that people just can't begin to express through their actions. I always preferred a more aggressive approach in terms of expressing my feelings (not just romantic ones), but the show reminds me that there is also beauty in the space between the sender and the recipient of a letter.

The show had a feeling of loneliness permeating it throughout its run. But in the loneliness, I guess you begin to appreciate what was once there even more, and what will be there as time passes by. I absolutely loved Episode 7 and 10 because of this. I cried myself to bits beside a friend who was also crying to bits. Tears the heart.

I think I'll watch Kokoro Connect next. I have to at least try out @Roach's recommendations.

Edited by KosakiFag
Goddamnit I forgot about the spoiler button. Never using [spoiler][/spoiler] again. Took my whole 20 minutes.

Done with Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches and I kind of loved this show, although I've seen from other people's reviews that it might not be "objectively" this great, but simply fits directly into my preferences. It has those light ecchi/harem elements, but immidiately establishes who the main heroine is and develops really satisfying, conclusive romance - Urara grows into a great character and the last few episodes with Yamada fighting to reconnect with her are genuinely touching. On the fun side, the body swapping gimmick comes with awesome performances by the voice actors, with main ones pretty much playing a few different characters on a regular basis.

Plot wise, it's not that original (it's kind of Monogatari-light, with the protagonist going around solving problems of the titular witches, basically saving them from themselves) and some of the subplots are rather forgettable, but it's still very fun and the main cast is great, Yamada himself combining being a bit of a dumbass and having a reputation of a delinquent with being genuinely good person – there's some great chemistry between him and all the other major characters. In the end, I give it an extremely biased 9/10 (I think it'll be an 8 or very solid 7 if you don't buy into its formula as much as I did). Will definitely try to give it a rewatch with my gf, I hope she don't hate it. :3

Now I guess I should get back to Ancient Magus' Bride, another one I stalled a while ago... 

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

12 hours ago, Kosakyun said:

First show was Made in Abyss. At first I thought it was going to be full of furry bait and despair

Right, this. I wanted to ask, is this show just despair misery suffering or not quite? I got that impression from hearing people talk about it, which is why I haven't watched it despite really appreciating the art style, but a friend said otherwise the other day.

Is it one of those where every time things seem to be looking better it just goes DESPAIR!!1! ? I can't handle that. I've given up on Code Geass and Fullmetal Alchemist over that sort of thing. Please reply in a spoiler tag.

(Which is admittedly ironic considering I love Danganronpa but whatever. If it's funny despair it's ok.)

1 hour ago, Mr Poltroon said:

Right, this. I wanted to ask, is this show just despair misery suffering or not quite? I got that impression from hearing people talk about it, which is why I haven't watched it despite really appreciating the art style, but a friend said otherwise the other day.

Is it one of those where every time things seem to be looking better it just goes DESPAIR!!1! ? I can't handle that. I've given up on Code Geass and Fullmetal Alchemist over that sort of thing. Please reply in a spoiler tag.

(Which is admittedly ironic considering I love Danganronpa but whatever. If it's funny despair it's ok.)

No, it is brutally hard to watch. If you could not watch fullmetal alchemist then I suggest you skip made in abyss. It's overall got a positive outlook but the crossroads along the way are disturbing on a grand scale. I cried by eyes out on it.

6 hours ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Done with Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches and I kind of loved this show, although I've seen from other people's reviews that it might not be "objectively" this great, but simply fits directly into my preferences. It has those light ecchi/harem elements, but immidiately establishes who the main heroine is and develops really satisfying, conclusive romance - Urara grows into a great character and the last few episodes with Yamada fighting to reconnect with her are genuinely touching. On the fun side, the body swapping gimmick comes with awesome performances by the voice actors, with main ones pretty much playing a few different characters on a regular basis.

Plot wise, it's not that original (it's kind of Monogatari-light, with the protagonist going around solving problems of the titular witches, basically saving them from themselves) and some of the subplots are rather forgettable, but it's still very fun and the main cast is great, Yamada himself combining being a bit of a dumbass and having a reputation of a delinquent with being genuinely good person – there's some great chemistry between him and all the other major characters. In the end, I give it an extremely biased 9/10 (I think it'll be an 8 or very solid 7 if you don't buy into its formula as much as I did). Will definitely try to give it a rewatch with my gf, I hope she don't hate it. :3

I really enjoyed it and gave it an 8/10 myself. Very satisfying show, but there's no way I would watch it with my wife. Too ecchi and haremy if I recall correctly.

21 minutes ago, ittaku said:

I really enjoyed it and gave it an 8/10 myself. Very satisfying show, but there's no way I would watch it with my wife. Too ecchi and haremy if I recall correctly.

Maybe it was just me, but I find this show tastefully sexy if anything. The fanservice is either super tongue-in-cheek or just kissing scenes (which are also constantly mixed with parodistic scenes where Yamada has to kiss guys etc.). The harem is super mild, with Urara wnd Yamada being into each other pretty much from the first episode and the romance between them steady developing, and other witches being clearly in the background.

We watched one episode so far, but she liked it. The most fancervice'y part I can remember is episode 2 or 3 ending, where everyone in the supernatural investigations club kiss each other switching bodies, but even that was rather funny and cute IMO. That's really a major factor why I was so stoked about this show, an ecchi series that never gets gross and offers actual romance is such a rare treat. :P

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

3 hours ago, Mr Poltroon said:

I'd like to think that its main driving force isn't the despair that accompanies this descent into the Abyss, but the grand adventure that waits for them in its depths. While I do say that, ittaku's comment is also spot-on. It doesn't cut corners in presenting the dangers that accompany their endeavor, and it quite honestly has one of the most painful scenes to watch that I've seen from recent shows. I cannot begin to try and draw a comparison between it and the shows you mentioned.

But, I stand my ground that it's not the grueling hardships that make Made in Abyss the show it is. It's the wonder the characters have for the unknown, and the different ways in which they try and satisfy this wonder. But then again, that's true for the two shows you mentioned as well (which are primarily driven by other, stronger elements) so you do you. I hope you're able to give them a try someday.

I find the OP an accurate representation of the overall atmosphere of the show. Give it a watch:

Edited by Kosakyun

16 minutes ago, Kosakyun said:
  Hide contents

I'd like to think that its main driving force isn't the despair that accompanies this descent into the Abyss, but the grand adventure that waits for them in its depths. While I do say that, ittaku's comment is also spot-on. It doesn't cut corners in presenting the dangers that accompany their endeavor, and it quite honestly has one of the most painful scenes to watch that I've seen from recent shows. I cannot begin to try and draw a comparison between it and the shows you mentioned.

But, I stand my ground that it's not the grueling hardships that make Made in Abyss the show it is. It's the wonder the characters have for the unknown, and the different ways in which they try and satisfy this wonder. But then again, that's true for the two shows you mentioned as well (which are primarily driven by other, stronger elements) so you do you. I hope you're able to give them a try someday.

I find the OP an accurate representation of the overall atmosphere of the show. Give it a watch:

I also dropped Code Geass (but due to me not enjoying the characters as much as I have with other shows. Lelouch is awesome, yes, but I kind of did not get into it).

This one (Made in Abyss) is another one I skipped due to the "a little too cute design". After Madoka (which I genuinely enjoyed because Homura is a walking plot twist) I kind of turned my radar on for this kind.

Urobutcher is good, but my poor heart has a limit on the despair side.

22 minutes ago, PrincessOfFinch said:

Hibike Euphonium, Highschool DxD, Kakegurui, Mirai Nikki, Welcome to the NHK, Nichijou, No Game No Life, Spice and Wolf, Gurren Lagann, Elfen Lied (rewatch), and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 1 (rewatch).

Gurren Lagann is very good. I don't like the ending that much, but I could hardly think of something not too cheesy.

Also, Elfen Lied's manga is quite beautiful indeed. The anime did great on the soundtracks, but it covered almost nothing of it.

When the shit would really hit the fan, it ended.

Just now, AstralSword said:

Gurren Lagann is very good. I don't like the ending that much, but I could hardly think of something not too cheesy.

Also, Elfen Lied's manga is quite beautiful indeed. The anime did great on the soundtracks, but it covered almost nothing of it.

When the shit would really hit the fan, it ended.

I might like the ending, who knows!

I've never read the manga to Elfen Lied  but the show was my first 'adult' anime so I guess it's kinda special in that regard. I still think the show is cool but it's not the best.