What Anime are you watching now?

Ryoji

12 minutes ago, adamstan said:

Yeah, found it, and while searching for it, I stumbled upon your mention of Ranma1/2, which also looks like funny thing to watch - on the list it goes :D

The final opinion on Ranma wasn't so great though, so long as you take that into account.

15 hours ago, ittaku said:

Toradora is fantastic. It's so good that it's beyond that point where people like it - they hate it because it's so good that the popular opinion can't possibly be right. No, the characters are great, the romance is very different, and it has some absolutely magic moments that it'd be hard not to feel anything while watching it. Some scenes still make me catch my breath today. Flawed characters? Who cares when that's what makes the show. But like everything, it either works for you or it doesn't, and Toradora is exactly the opposite of what I just watched.

Spoiler

I'm pretty sure the only reason I don't love Toradora is that I don't care for Taiga. Ami and Minori are both fantastic characters to me, and the way things ended up left me unsatisfied for both of them. I think this is one of those things where, in spite of me liking almost everything about the show, I'm too annoyed by the guy ending up with the "wrong" girl (absolutely subjective judgment, obviously). This is probably similar to why Nosebleed hates NagiAsu...

8 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:
  Hide contents

I'm pretty sure the only reason I don't love Toradora is that I don't care for Taiga. Ami and Minori are both fantastic characters to me, and the way things ended up left me unsatisfied for both of them. I think this is one of those things where, in spite of me liking almost everything about the show, I'm too annoyed by the guy ending up with the "wrong" girl (absolutely subjective judgment, obviously). This is probably similar to why Nosebleed hates NagiAsu...

Can't get past that, I understand... I love NagiAsu too by the way.

So I started Maison Ikkoku. It is indeed slow, but after 2 episodes I'm already in love with Kyoko :wub:

Protagonist looks completely hopeless - just like me :P  (That's why I never complained about protags like Yuuma from Hatsukoi 1/1 or Takaaki from ToHeart2 ;) )

Edited by adamstan

It gets better ep after ep :D  I'm after Ep 13, and now Kyoko has a rival too. Kozue-chan is lovely. Godai (MC) got better than in the first few episodes too.

OTOH we were able to see some not-so-pretty sides of Kyoko's character.

Also, I think I'm getting used to the pace of this show.

Edited by adamstan

• 2 weeks later...

I caught a nasty cold this last weekend and all I wanted to do was sit on the couch, so I binge-watched Princess Principal over two days. Man, was that ever a good decision.

First of all, the setting and themes were right up my alley: steampunk, sci-fi, turn-of-the-century, alternate history version of England, spies... Good shit! It was a relief to find that there was hardly any boring school stuff (apparently "principal" meant something else...), and instead the episodes were generally filled with action, plot, and character development. The characters were uniformly excellent, and the plot was super compelling! I thought I saw the twist coming, but how wrong I was. The dash of sci-fi helped a lot of the action scenes feel unique and fun, but even when it wasn't using that angle, the action scenes delivered, over, and over. The show even had good subs (official, by Sentai)! I only have one small complaint, which was that the ending wasn't much of a resolution. I'm glad there's a second season of sorts coming up (five movies, I think?), both because I loved the show and want more of it, and because I'm hoping for a more complete resolution. Here's hoping!

For my next show, I just started on Made in Abyss, yet another thing I promised a friend I'd watch several months ago. It's pretty cool! The setting is really engaging, and the setup is interesting. I'm only one episode in, so I've just scratched the surface, but I like what I've seen so far and am looking forward to more. That said, I'm already unimpressed with the (again, official, from Sentai) subs. They're not bad per se, but the tone of the subs often really clashes with the tone of the spoken line (frightened one- or two-word exclamations turn into long complete sentences, for example), and there's no clear attempt at characterization in the subs; all the people kinda sound the same, despite large age gaps.

On 13/10/2018 at 1:23 AM, Fred the Barber said:

For my next show, I just started on Made in Abyss, yet another thing I promised a friend I'd watch several months ago.

Made in abyss is awesome. Have some tissues handy for the later episodes. It's not the ride I was expecting.

I just finished Maison Ikkoku few minutes ago.

It was amazing. Don't know if it is the best romance anime, since it's only second I watched (after Toradora), but it was amazing indeed. Also, if it truly was one of the first, then not only did it provide tropes for the shows coming afterwards, but for many VNs as well*.

Some episodes were really frustrating, but in the end it made great romance story. And the ending certainly belongs to the "ultimately satisfying endings" list - it was absoultely sweet, amazing and whatever.

Kyoko was great heroine. After first few episodes I wouldn't think she would be such classic tsundere ;) Two other girls that were interested in Godai - Ibuki and Kozue - were great characters too. It would actually make pretty nice VN, with additional routes for these two :D Also, I was able to symphatize with Godai, as I'm even more hopeless...

I really liked the setting (meaning, the '80s, and lots of trains ;)). 

*side note: I don't know if it's because locations were modeled after real ones, but so many scenes looked almost exactly like the places I've seen in many VNs. The playground in the park looks almost exactly like the one in ToHeart2. We have seen similar steep-sloped streets in TH2 and SakuSaku, the uphill road to the girl's highschool looks suspiciously like in Clannad etc etc.

Overally - I'm really glad that I watched it. Truly great show - 9/10

Edited by adamstan

I was feeling kind of down recently, so I decided to lighten the mood with some light, dumb, but good enough anime, and ended up watching DanMachi. Well, it's more or less all of the above... at least in the first half. By the end, it's started to get into "so dumb that it's dumb" isekai territory, so my enjoyment started to go down. Still, it was fun. 6/10.

I just finished Midori no Hibi

If I had to describe it with one word, it would be heartwarming. Very nice mix of comedy, romance and little bit of feelings here and there. Really enjoyed it. Ending was a bit weak

Spoiler

I'd like some longer epilogue showing their relationship or sth. And Seiji should finally clearly say that he loves her :P

but still 8/10.

One of my all time favourites, and 10/10 is Cross Game. I recently found out that the creator had a much earlier work called Touch, that is almost 30 years old. I started watching it and it's not bad. Shows the change in anime sensibilities over time and moves much more slowly. It took is a baseball series, but there is much more emphasis on relationships and less on the baseball, but the parallels in the story are pretty strong. It is also twice as long as Cross Game at 101 episodes, so it's a nice long watch. It's keeping me busy as a late night filler series at least, and having made it through season 1 (27 episodes), I'm pretty sure I'll end up watching the whole lot. The extra 20+ years of experience in writing Cross Game really shows though.

Woah! I've just completed watching Speed Grapher! Quite an experience! One of the best anime that I've ever had the pleasure of seeing in recent years and its one of those that really stir my intellectual and emotional faculties altogether.... Its really begs the questions of what it is means to be totally free.

Despite living in a democratic, capitalist country/society which is really nice! :D 

However without sufficient money and power to live the kind of lifestyle that we desire, we will only be at the mercy of certain entities that pulls the strings in the shadows such as the governments,corporations and highly influential personalities or those so called movers and shakers of society. True freedom and happiness may only be obtainable if we reach the top or if we're lucky enough to discover our purpose in this life... 

At first it was somehow unimpressive and seemed like a simple damsel in distress, rescue this girl from a knight in shinning armor scenario/plot trope, but as I continue to see the rest of the episodes. It was more than that, I believe this anime has it all. sex, money, corruption and all the imaginable debauchery human beings capable of doing! 

In addition I definitely love the character designs of the anime, only thing I didn't like in the show was the luck of special effects and the fight scenes looks a little awkward.

The English dub is fantastic! Could never get enough of it! :sachi: 

I couldn't bring myself to hate the villains in this anime since they had a very good reason for their misdeeds or actions and instead end up rooting for them together with the main protagonists... For instance, its kind of rare for me to see a villain who cares for his subordinate and doesn't treat them as pawns as it is common to most villains in anime series... 

After watching last episode, it somehow left a nostalgic, yet melancholy feeling within me... 

I'll rate this anime 10/10 overall! It took me full 3 months to acquire this anime! definitely worth the effort and investment! :mare: 

I started watching this new series that is currently airing, "Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl senpai no yume wo minai". I've watched the first 2 episodes and damn, this shit is good. I love the dynamics of the main couple so much. 

Two more episodes to go until I catch up, and then I'll be sad waiting till next week.

Goblin Slayer, Tokyo Ghoul: Re 2nd cour, and Yagate Kimi ni Naru. The last one I like especially, I've read the manga until now, and the way the anime goes is just perfect. I love the voice actors, they really fit the characters, and the way the lines are spoken is just sublime. It has hit every mark with me so far.

Goblin Slayer I've liked so far, the character just denies any chance for a dice roll, everything is in his hands from the beginning of every quest.

Tokyo Ghoul: Re 2nd cour is decent...but it is going slightly too fast story wise. Sometimes it just skips faster than channels on a tv in regards to what part of the story from the manga we are observing.

On 29/10/2018 at 9:14 AM, Thyndd said:

I started watching this new series that is currently airing, "Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl senpai no yume wo minai". I've watched the first 2 episodes and damn, this shit is good. I love the dynamics of the main couple so much. 

Two more episodes to go until I catch up, and then I'll be sad waiting till next week.

I am enjoying it but the whole monotone smart arse dialogue thing is getting a bit old in anime...

2 hours ago, ittaku said:

I am enjoying it but the whole monotone smart arse dialogue thing is getting a bit old in anime...

Maybe, though I feel like Sakuta's smartass demeanor is a whole lot more beliavable than in other animes. Also after this recent episode 5, he's been cemented as one hell of a bro.

For me, the characters' chemistry is refreshing enough to make up for all the rest of cliches you may find. Definitely a series that I'll look forward to every week.

• 2 weeks later...

Checked out the Cartagra anime just for the fun of it. Regretted my decision quickly after.

Eroge titles like Euphoria rarely produce great anime adaptations, and this is one of those cases. It's a clearly low-budget production, with its rushed story background to its horrible animated facial expressions (static and unchanging). Also, they look completely different from their VN counterparts! Kazuna looks NOTHING like Kazuna! Grrr... :vinty: Finally, there's a lot more gratuitous sex scenes in here than in the VN, and that's saying something, considering it's an EROGE we're talking about. Way to outdo the VN in the pointless departments.

Sigh. Anyway, total regret. Dropped it instantly. 3/10

Im slowly going through "Kimagure Orange Road". I never thought I'd say it, but the protagonist's spinelessness starts to annoy me, and that's telling something, considering I was okay with Hatsukoi's Yuuma or Maison Ikkoku Godai :P Seriously, Kasuga is so bad that compared to him Godai looks almost like overly manly man ;) But the girls save this show - especially Madoka, but Hikaru and protag's sisters Kurumi and Manami are nice too. I hope that he will improve himself earlier than by the end of the series :P

Edited by adamstan

On 02/11/2018 at 12:40 AM, Thyndd said:

Maybe, though I feel like Sakuta's smartass demeanor is a whole lot more beliavable than in other animes. Also after this recent episode 5, he's been cemented as one hell of a bro.

For me, the characters' chemistry is refreshing enough to make up for all the rest of cliches you may find. Definitely a series that I'll look forward to every week.

Great! A series to look forward to watching when its done!

On 24/10/2018 at 10:09 PM, ittaku said:

One of my all time favourites, and 10/10 is Cross Game. I recently found out that the creator had a much earlier work called Touch, that is almost 30 years old. I started watching it and it's not bad. Shows the change in anime sensibilities over time and moves much more slowly. It took is a baseball series, but there is much more emphasis on relationships and less on the baseball, but the parallels in the story are pretty strong. It is also twice as long as Cross Game at 101 episodes, so it's a nice long watch. It's keeping me busy as a late night filler series at least, and having made it through season 1 (27 episodes), I'm pretty sure I'll end up watching the whole lot. The extra 20+ years of experience in writing Cross Game really shows though.

Spoiler

That series made me sad. Absolute best girl died in the beginning and while it did have a good ending, she just could never match up to her sister.:(