What Anime are you watching now?

Ryoji

I finished watching Ranma ½. Not even sure why I did in the end, but it started out because it is a classic comedy still revered today, and when I first started watching it I found myself actually laughing at it. Well it tired quickly and for whatever reason I kept watching till I watched all 161 episodes. If anyone else has this much spare time on their hands and is considering it, all I can say is: don't do it. It was a good way to put me to sleep at the end of the night when I was still buzzing and needed something that would make me want to go to bed. The slapstick gets tired very quickly, the same plots get rehashed a dozen times over, and there is virtually no forward progress in the story. About its only redeeming feature was showing nipples before they were considered too raunchy for even ecchi shows on TV, though there's nothing titillating (heh) about how they're presented here :P

4 minutes ago, ittaku said:

I finished watching Ranma ½. Not even sure why I did in the end, but it started out because it is a classic comedy still revered today, and when I first started watching it I found myself actually laughing at it. Well it tired quickly and for whatever reason I kept watching till I watched all 161 episodes. If anyone else has this much spare time on their hands and is considering it, all I can say is: don't do it. It was a good way to put me to sleep at the end of the night when I was still buzzing and needed something that would make me want to go to bed. The slapstick gets tired very quickly, the same plots get rehashed a dozen times over, and there is virtually no forward progress in the story. About its only redeeming feature was showing nipples before they were considered too raunchy for even ecchi shows on TV, though there's nothing titillating (heh) about how they're presented here :P

While Ranma is a classic, Rumiko Takahashi's best work was always Maison Ikkoku (heartwarming romance ahoy) :) 

3 minutes ago, Darklord Rooke said:

While Ranma is a classic, Rumiko Takahashi's best work was always Maison Ikkoku (heartwarming romance ahoy) :) 

Agreed, that I DID watch through (and have even reviewed it somewhere here on fuwa) and did NOT regret, and although it was slow, very slow, it had probably the reference ending for how to make an ultimately happy conclusion.

Watching Servant x Service. 6/13 episodes so far. As it's from the creator of Working!! i expected it to be good. Well, it is rather good, but... Could be better imo. I like Yamagami and Chihaya. I absolutely don't like Tohko, she's damn annoying, so get lost, girl. Others are... From so-so to meh from time to time. Their behavior irritates me sometimes because it's like they're afraid of just talking and constantly apologize to each other... Even Yamagami. I mean, i'm used to it in other shows but not to that extent. Remove it and show will be better.

2 hours ago, Jun Inoue said:

"not bad" is a 7 or 8? Dang boi :isla:

Haha fair enough. I mean, I'm enjoying it and it's keeping my interest but it's not as amazing as I was expecting given the ratings. I'm still looking for the next, spend-the-whole-day-watching-and-doing-little-else, "this is one of my favorite stories ever" anime that leaves me wishing I could watch it again from the beginning without knowing anything about it. I thought this might be it but it isn't. 

Edited by snowbell55

On 11/06/2018 at 12:28 PM, ittaku said:

I made it that far I figured I'd go all the way. I ended up watching the 2 movies and 12 OVAs as well. Still nothing happened, but at least I can say I've seen it all now.

I've just recently finished watching Shagri-la, such a unusual anime that has some Ergo Proxy vibe to it... the art seemed to be decent enough, the story was somehow "believable" at certain point having a Post-Apocalypse setting, carbon emission indexing totally replaced the stock market or works similar to it.:yumiko:

Still pretty confuse about it but the good kind in a way! I had some time actually contemplating my life's purpose whoa! :wahaha:

Now I'm going to watch Saekano: How To Raise A Boring Girlfriend and see if it's any good!:mare: 

Finally caught up a bit with Monogatari series since last year - finished Koyomimonogatari. Still don't feel like it's as cult anime how many people say. Back when i started with Bakemonogatari i didn't quite like it at all - only later thought maybe it wasn't that bad as i thought at start.

Spoiler

Half of the characters i don't like at all - both Koyomi's sisters for instance, they're super annoying. Not very fond of Hanekawa. Kaiki is good tho, as well as Shinobu and that guy Oshino in hawaii shirt. At so on from good to bad with all characters. Same with series. Don't like Nekomonogatari, but Owarimonogatari was quite good as well as Tsukimonogatari. In Second Season i like 2nd and last arcs.

Well, gonna watch the rest - movies and Owarimonogatari S2.

Watched the film Maquia - when the promised flower blooms, the other day. It's a story about long-lived (eternal but mortal?) humans and their relationships with regular humans but is obviously far more than that, without spoilers. While I was watching it I thought initially it was only pretty good but as it progressed it grew on me more and more till I thought it was very good and quite moving by the end. I also haven't been able to get its story out of my head the last few days showing the story was quite strong. 8.5/10. The only catch was that the long-lived humans are the magic 15 high school age for their entire lives which was quite amusing given every other anime everyone is that age too.

• 2 weeks later...

Hahaha I've just recently finished watching both season 1 and 2 of Saekano: How To Raise A Boring Girlfriend! At first I expected it to be just a typical harem, comedy romance sort of anime, however it was one heck of a roller coaster ride! The first season was filled with happy moments and the occasional fanservice and sexually suggestive stuff. It's pretty much about a certain guy who drags other attractive girls to help him create a visual novel and form a indie or doujin group of sorts... Things get serious on the second season their main illustrator undergo a slump in her drawing capabilities and started to question things.  This anime somehow gave me a new appreciation of visual novels in its creation and the tribulation a certain team goes through to see in reaching its completion... I really love everything about Utaha's personality and looks, then the boobs :wahaha:

Eriri seems to be cute but flat-chested, Megumi is visually stunning however she lacks substance, too bland for my taste :makina:

Episode 9,10,11 of season 2 was pretty intense and dramatic that I couldn't avoid shedding some tears despite me being a hardened guy. (Clannad and Angel Beats did made me cry a little ahem) 

Overall its a very pleasant experience and no single episode from both respective seasons are boring or dull, it just gets better from each episodes!

Cannot wait for the movie to be released!:mare:

For now I'll just read the Koisuru Metronome Manga to pass the time and fantasize about Utaha! :nico: 

Went and saw Mary and the witch's flower in a deckchair cinema with the family. Unfortunately the only screening scheduled was the English dub. However when it started playing it was in Japanese with subtitles... for the first 10 minutes until they realised their mistake and started screening it again in the dubbed version. This once again showed me in the space of just 5 minutes of dialogue how much artistic license they take with translation where whole lines were completely changed - not just the nuance of the original, but they said completely different things. I've seen this before for big screen releases where they dumb down the dialogue and make it more explicit because they think English speaking audiences are stupid and have to have everything explained to them. (On Kiki's delivery service, I even noticed they added dialogue in parts where she's flying on a broom quietly saying nothing in Japanese for example.)

But anyway Mary and the Witch's Flower was a nice enjoyable rendition of a British fantasy novel called The Little Broomstick, and to their credit, they dubbed it with British accents which was somewhat of a relief. It was fairly predictable and a little childish but appealed enough to my inner child to enjoy it enough with the kids almost as much as Maquia that I reviewed a couple of posts ago. The important thing about this film is it's the first successful film from Studio Ponoc which was an attempt to break free from the curse of living in the shadow of Studio Ghibli and Miyazaki films from one of its old staff and did an admirable job. 8/10

• 2 weeks later...

Watamote came up a lot in discussions on reddit and it rated pretty highly so I decided to try watching it. I can't stand shows where the writers seem to hate their own protagonists and seem hellbent on spending the entire series making them suffer as some form of entertainment, which is the premise for this show. I abandoned it. 4/10

5 hours ago, ittaku said:

Watamote came up a lot in discussions on reddit and it rated pretty highly so I decided to try watching it. I can't stand shows where the writers seem to hate their own protagonists and seem hellbent on spending the entire series making them suffer as some form of entertainment, which is the premise for this show. I abandoned it. 4/10

I felt sort of similarly. In my case, it's because I hate "celebratory" anime that show something bad or toxic as desirable or fun.

15 hours ago, ittaku said:

Hell yes. This is the best take on Watamote. I watched the entire show (or at least the first season, I don't know if there are subsequent ones, and I don't care), and I only loathed it more with every episode. The worst was this one teaser episode where she got a little better and a little happier, and then nope, fucked it all up again, revert back to being even worse than before. This was one of the most upsetting shows I've ever watched, honestly, since I tend to be pretty selective up-front about what I watch, but apparently a lot of people really like this thing that I absolutely hate.

I did watch Tsui no Sora OVA, and it got 10/10 because it managed to blew my mind very much, especially with how expansive their animation was or how deep the storyline is.

Or if you want my very unflattering opinion then yeah it's quite bad, so much that even if someone ignoring (Or willing to) the bad animation on that would still notice it. One of MAL review even say that the developer probably spent only 10 yen to make the animation, which mean that it's quite low budget here. The story itself was pretty just just adapt original Tsui no Sora VN, except it was very rushed for obvious reason (Granted we can't expect much story in low budget H OVA, but still). Oh and the color here is pretty monotone with most focus on green. So in the end, I say that you better watch this if you need something to binge and laugh or very bored, and if you want to understand the story more just play Subahibi or original Tsui no Sora VN if you can read Japan.

Edited by littleshogun

I'm watching Darling in the FranXX after the hype, i know, i'm late at the party, but so far i'm liking it.

Despite finding the whole sex imagery to be cringey.

Spoiler

We get it, doggystyle and orgasm, i think we get it, i just hope they don't focus on that every single episode.

Also, is that a japanese conception that during sex, the man doesn't feel anything?

57 minutes ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

I'm watching Darling in the FranXX after the hype, i know, i'm late at the party, but so far i'm liking it.

Despite finding the whole sex imagery to be cringey.

Reveal hidden contents

We get it, doggystyle and orgasm, i think we get it, i just hope they don't focus on that every single episode.

Also, is that a japanese conception that during sex, the man doesn't feel anything?

Don't worry, DitF is so much more than just that... yet so much less than it aspires to be :) It changes quite dramatically later, and not always for the best, depending on what you're expecting from it. Have no expectations and you'll be happy.

1 hour ago, ittaku said:

Don't worry, DitF is so much more than just that... yet so much less than it aspires to be :) It changes quite dramatically later, and not always for the best, depending on what you're expecting from it. Have no expectations and you'll be happy.

I purposely waited for the anime to end so i don't deal with the fandom.

Also yeh, fortunately after 5 episodes, the story is good, but way, way too classical.

the ending song is amazing, i might put it at the same level as Last Game, both are excelent contenders for best ending of the year.

Oh and please, if you want to reference evangelion...Do not put elevator scenes, they are not as great as you think they are.