What Anime are you watching now?

Ryoji

On 09/05/2018 at 9:52 AM, Darklord Rooke said:

A while ago I thought I'd give Gintama a go, because it was supposed to be really funny and popular. I dropped it midway through the first episode. It just seemed really stupid to me.

Just recently though, as the popularity of Gintama doesn't seem to be waning at all, I thought maybe it's me. Maybe I'm just being really uptight and anal about stuff. So I sent it to my sister saying "give this a try, it's supposed to be really good". If she says it's good I'll give it another go.

I got a message back today. "This is, most likely, without a doubt, the worst show I've ever seen."
"I know", I said. "I thought it was pretty terrible also."
"Then why did you pass it on for me to try!"

So yeah, now I can safely ignore Gintama without thinking I'm missing something special. Happy days!

No, ignore all the others here. I think they've got it completely backwards. If you can enjoy the first two episodes of Gintama, you'll enjoy the show. It is a good example of the baseline of humour and lack of plot that defines the show. The plot is made up on the spot repeatedly to make it look like there's some kind of continuity in there based on random character arcs they keep adding, and the humour doesn't really change much from episode 1 and 2, only intensifying in absurdity. If that's your cup of tea then this is the perfect show for you. My wife loves it, so I've watched every single one of the 350+ episodes. I sleep through half of them since I rarely find it funny, and the serious "story" parts of it are contrived add-ons at all times. People seem to be blown away by the fact that the most absurd  show on TV also has serious moments that look totally out of place - but that's actually all they are to me; out of place. In fact the serious story arcs bore me to sleep every time and the humour only occasionally invokes a grin out of me at best. No belly laughs for me I'm afraid. I've sat through all of it and unless it magically hits a nerve for you, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I'm about as clued up about Japanese culture and language as anyone gets, and I listen mostly to the raw Japanese so that's not the reason it doesn't work for me...

Was going to start watching something similar to "Working!" or maybe "K-ON!!" or "Blend S" at least. And found out "Servant X Service". Got immediately interested in. But considering the fact show only has one season and 13 episodes, decided to save it for later (to not run out of similar shows at once), and finally started to watch "Shokugeki no Souma", cuz always wanted to, plus it has a lot of episodes... Well, they were right saying it's not recommended to watch it on empty stomach, but i came prepared - had been watching it during dinner, so i'm good. 2 episodes so far, looks pretty good, but man, EVEN NOW I'VE STUMBLED UPON THIS ANNOYING ANIME CLICHE GIRL Erina! Really, God, not again! I'm so tired of such characters, and here we go again... I really hope it'd be better later, but... Not good... As if that Emi from "Devil part-timer" (finished couple of months ago) was not annoying enough, and now this. Oh, well, we'll see. I'll take my time with the show i think, cuz my main focus now on finishing some games and reading one VN.

Watched the first Heaven's Feel movie. And, well, ufotable shows once again that great anime based on VNs actually are possible (if you have big enough budget, of course).

I can't really say whether it's a good adaptation, because it's been a while since I finished the VN, but as an anime film it's really good! The atmosphere of Heaven's Feel is the one thing that's actually captured perfectly. Unlike UBW anime, it doesn't really add anything major that wasn't in the VN, but if you're a Fate fan, I definitely recommend checking this out.

Spoiler

Sabe-e-e-e-er... :komari:

So I binge watched all of Code Geass and... wow. Lelouch was such a good protagonist and the story was just amazing. In a sense Lelouch's genius kind of gave off vibes of Maou from G-Senjou and Sherlock and I just loved it! Lloyd is also such a good side character, that personality was just great together with the seriousness of some of the battles. I have some critique however;

Spoiler

Most of the story (especially in season one) felt like a thrown together battle between invincible Kurururururugi and invincible Lelouch. At least to me it felt like as soon as Kururugi came to the battle it was basically over and that he would always wizard up some attack to completely turn the tables, making some of the battles where you knew Kururugi was at the scene feel like they were already decided.

The whole scene with Euphemia's "peace zone" just felt really weird (is cliché the right word here?) and the whole thing that Lelouch accidently used his Geass was just, I don't know, a bit like the writers just wanted to suddenly turn the tables but didn't know how to do it. 

also

The emperor really felt like a push over compared to other characters (I.E. Kururugi) and it felt like they could have made the "final fight" of the empire out to be more.

Overall I am very happy I looked at the series and I wished that more grandiose shows like it existed (I have already watched Fullmetal Alchemist :(). Personally I find it really hard to just watch high school and slice-of-life animes. And as they appear to dominate the market, it is fairly difficult to find something to my tastes (Steins Gate is out but I have yet to read the VN).

I wonder what they can make out of season 3. I must agree with a lot of people that I am sceptical to the show actually not being just a cash-grab from Sunrise.

Spoiler

It would kind of be interesting however if they could turn Lelouch into an antagonist and do a full 180, making him instead try to end the world.

1 minute ago, Weiterfechten said:

So I binge watched all of Code Geass and... wow. Lelouch was such a good protagonist and the story was just amazing. In a sense Lelouch's genius kind of gave off vibes of Maou from G-Senjou and Sherlock and I just loved it! Lloyd is also such a good side character, that personality was just great together with the seriousness of some of the battles. I have some critique however;

Reveal hidden contents

Most of the story (especially in season one) felt like a thrown together battle between invincible Kurururururugi and invincible Lelouch. At least to me it felt like as soon as Kururugi came to the battle it was basically over and that he would always wizard up some attack to completely turn the tables, making some of the battles where you knew Kururugi was at the scene feel like they were already decided.

The whole scene with Euphemia's "peace zone" just felt really weird (is cliché the right word here?) and the whole thing that Lelouch accidently used his Geass was just, I don't know, a bit like the writers just wanted to suddenly turn the tables but didn't know how to do it. 

also

The emperor really felt like a push over compared to other characters (I.E. Kururugi) and it felt like they could have made the "final fight" of the empire out to be more.

Overall I am very happy I looked at the series and I wished that more grandiose shows like it existed (I have already watched Fullmetal Alchemist :(). Personally I find it really hard to just watch high school and slice-of-life animes. And as they appear to dominate the market, it is fairly difficult to find something to my tastes (Steins Gate is out but I have yet to read the VN).

I wonder what they can make out of season 3. I must agree with a lot of people that I am sceptical to the show actually not being just a cash-grab from Sunrise.

Reveal hidden contents

It would kind of be interesting however if they could turn Lelouch into an antagonist and do a full 180, making him instead try to end the world.

You know, it was quite interesting for me to watch, but just to know what the ending will be. As for characters, i mostly don't care, because almost none of them caught my eye. Well, C.C. was good, so was Kallen.

Spoiler

It was quite sad that Shirley died, as well as that princess. But no personal super sadness or whatever. Even if most characters died, i caouldn't care less. Dunno why's that. Maou was way better. And as for Lelouch - one time you like him, one time you hate him, and that goes on for 2 seasons... Eventually, not like, not dislike, just don't care.

But story-wise it was quite good.

On ‎14‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 3:29 AM, Weiterfechten said:

Reveal hidden contents

also

Reveal hidden contents

I'd say the Kururururugi thing is simply cuz he IS that good. Karen is super important to the Black Knights cuz she's a great pilot, and Kururugi is even better, so any fight he joins becomes very problematic. He's like the ace of a sports team, easily changing the dynamics of any match.

In regards to the "peace zone":

Spoiler

You need to look at it from a narrative point of view, I believe. It's not "oops, accidentally used my Geass", but rather a scene meant to show us how Lelouch is way past the stopping point, and that the Geass has become as much a tool as a curse, and a part of him. There will be no peace for Lelouch, who is cursed for life after accepting the supernatural power.

Have you watched HxH 2011? It's pretty much along the lines of FMA: B in terms of style.

1 hour ago, Jun Inoue said:

I'd say the Kururururugi thing is simply cuz he IS that good. Karen is super important to the Black Knights cuz she's a great pilot, and Kururugi is even better, so any fight he joins becomes very problematic. He's like the ace of a sports team, easily changing the dynamics of any match.

In regards to the "peace zone":

Reveal hidden contents

You need to look at it from a narrative point of view, I believe. It's not "oops, accidentally used my Geass", but rather a scene meant to show us how Lelouch is way past the stopping point, and that the Geass has become as much a tool as a curse, and a part of him. There will be no peace for Lelouch, who is cursed for life after accepting the supernatural power.

Have you watched HxH 2011? It's pretty much along the lines of FMA: B in terms of style.

Hmm interesting did not see it that way, well they were only a couple of thoughts I had during the show. Thanks for the recommendation too!

I'll probably get laughed at this, and I'm soooo late to the party, but I'm watching Sailor Moon. Currently I'm near the end of final season (Sailor Stars), 12 episodes left.

When it aired originally I didn't like it at all - partly due to horrible translation that our TV used. Now I'm watching with english subs - and it's surprisingly good. And the music is totally amazing - actually it was the music that made me to finally watch it - I listened to songs, and loved them, so decided to give anime a try.

It's the first anime I'm watching after veeery long break - when I was a kid, in the early '90s, our TV aired some vintage series from '70s and '80s - like Toushou Daimos, Captain Tsubasa, Time Bokkan, Paul no Miracle Daisakusen,  Tiger Mask - most of them were Italian dubs, mind you - and that was my last contact with the medium.

Probably thanks to this (being left out of the loop), I'm still able to appreciate Sailor Moon ;)

PS Ami-chan best girl!

Edited by adamstan

15 hours ago, Thyndd said:

I binge-watched Shokugeki no Soma, up to the most recent episode, because I felt like it was an appropiate series to binge-watch :makina:

Now I'm hungry. 

lol same tbh. But i'm still on S2 for now, combining it with playing YS VIII. Really great show with cool MC for a change. The only thing i despise -

Spoiler

everything that surrounds Nakiri Erina. She's the worst imo, hate these types of characters, she's utter trash.

Other than that - great. Plus at the end of S1

Spoiler

Akira and Jun appeared, which is also great, they're both awesome.

15 hours ago, adamstan said:

I'll probably get laughed at this, and I'm soooo late to the party, but I'm watching Sailor Moon. Currently I'm near the end of final season (Sailor Stars), 12 episodes left.

When it aired originally I didn't like it at all - partly due to horrible translation that our TV used. Now I'm watching with english subs - and it's surprisingly good. And the music is totally amazing - actually it was the music that made me to finally watch it - I listened to songs, and loved them, so decided to give anime a try.

When i started to watch anime, i also decided to rewatch Sailor Moon, remembering childhood. Although in my case there was good translation on TV back then, so i went with it. It's actually 1 of the 2 anime i can watch with translation, others are only with subs, no exceptions. It's a great show, really. So i had my hopes considering Crystal series, but... After S1 i decided that no, don't wanna watch S2, it's just incomparable to the original in all aspects. It's bad.

2 hours ago, ittaku said:

Finished rewatching yuru camp with the family. Everyone loved it to death. Now we're moving onto Gakuen babysitters; a much lesser show but easy to watch nonetheless.

Added "Yuru Camp" to my backlog when i first had a glance on it. Will start to watch it in the near future as well.

3 hours ago, cro-mag said:

After S1 i decided that no, don't wanna watch S2, it's just incomparable to the original in all aspects. It's bad.

Supposedly it gets slightly better later on but yeah, I'm probably too not ready for it ;) . Screenshots don't look good, and reviews aren't encouraging at all.

Some people say, that, paradoxically, its main drawback is that it sticks too close to manga (both considering story and character design - which apparently doesn't work well with animation), while the content added by creators of the original series turned out to something great. It's one of those - pretty rare - cases when many agree that the adaptation surpassed original material (90's SM anime >>> manga).

Edited by adamstan

12 minutes ago, adamstan said:

Supposedly it gets slightly better later on but yeah, I'm probably too not ready for it ;) . Screenshots don't look good, and reviews aren't encouraging at all.

Some people say, that, paradoxically, its main drawback is that it sticks too close to manga (both considering story and character design - which apparently doesn't work well with animation), while the content added by creators of the original series turned out to something great. It's one of those - pretty rare - cases when many agree that the adaptation surpassed original material (90's SM anime >>> manga).

Yeah, well, for me it's not only due to animation, but based on content as well. I mean, as far as i remember, they covered 2 original seasons (with 89 episodes) with only 26 episodes, so you can't even feel their chemistry in relationships inside group and such stuff.

33 minutes ago, cro-mag said:

They covered 2 original seasons (with 89 episodes) with only 26 episodes, so you can't even feel their chemistry in relationships inside group and such stuff.

Yeah, but apparently that's how it was in manga as well - all that character depth and interactions were largely added by creators of old TV series. SMC aimed to be strict adaptation of manga, and that became its downfall.

1 minute ago, adamstan said:

Yeah, but apparently that's how it was in manga as well - all that character depth and interactions were largely added by creators of old TV series. SMC aimed to be strict adaptation of manga, and that became its downfall.

Oh, i see. I don't know how it was in manga. I only know it was more gruel. And overall, yeah, i agree that anime adaptation was way better. Very rare occasion.

7 hours ago, cro-mag said:

lol same tbh. But i'm still on S2 for now, combining it with playing YS VIII. Really great show with cool MC for a change. The only thing i despise -

Hide contents

everything that surrounds Nakiri Erina. She's the worst imo, hate these types of characters, she's utter trash.

Other than that - great. Plus at the end of S1

Hide contents

Akira and Jun appeared, which is also great, they're both awesome.

Yeah I was the same. She gets some development later on though, so try not to hate her too much :sachi:

20 hours ago, cro-mag said:

Reveal hidden contents

Well

Spoiler

You're meant to hate her, that's kind of the point of such characters. Of course she'll soften and end up being his love interest that pushes him further as hinted in season 1 - no this isn't a spoiler, this is my prediction. Having said that you can make characters you hate without them being stereotypical and largely uninteresting as she is.

1 hour ago, ittaku said:

Well

Hide contents

You're meant to hate her, that's kind of the point of such characters. Of course she'll soften and end up being his love interest that pushes him further as hinted in season 1 - no this isn't a spoiler, this is my prediction. Having said that you can make characters you hate without them being stereotypical and largely uninteresting as she is.

Spoiler

Well, yeah, you're meant to hate her (i hate all of their family actually, with different scale, except for principal, he's good). But i still prefer shows where you can simply watch, enjoy and do not think every time such character appears that "You again? Come on, get lost! I don't care about you, your feelings, your personality, your motives or anything about you! Just disappear!" There can be other methods to puch MC forward other than introducing these supid characters. Well, i tried not to be bothered by that too much and enjoyed the show, so yeah. Not gonna hate it just because of one stupid girl))

For what it's worth, I haven't found seasons 2 or 3 of SnS to be as good as season 1. Season 2 just felt repetitive after 1, and season 3 the production values seemed to have nosedived. The story only finally got interesting halfway through the second half of season3; i.e. the last couple of weeks.

2 minutes ago, ittaku said:

For what it's worth, I haven't found seasons 2 or 3 of SnS to be as good as season 1. Season 2 just felt repetitive after 1, and season 3 the production values seemed to have nosedived. The story only finally got interesting halfway through the second half of season3; i.e. the last couple of weeks.

Well, they just had to finish this story arc. And only after that i presume

Spoiler

Soma will really try to improve himself. He just had to lose to do it. I'm still yet to finish 3 last episodes of S2, that's why i said "presume".

I started watching Darling in the FranXX out of curiosity for all the commotion this anime stired (though I'm late af to the party). 

So, to summarize, Evangelion was like "hey, you know what would be cool and really hot? Teenage girls fighting inside of giant robots wearing extra tight suits". Then Muv Luv came along and made them transparent. The next logical step is obviously to replicate kamasutra positions. Bravo :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, Thyndd said:

I started watching Darling in the FranXX out of curiosity for all the commotion this anime stired (though I'm late af to the party). 

So, to summarize, Evangelion was like "hey, you know what would be cool and really hot? Teenage girls fighting inside of giant robots wearing extra tight suits". Then Muv Luv came along and made them transparent. The next logical step is obviously to replicate kamasutra positions. Bravo :thumbsup:

Works for me.

I watched Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii, it's really not that good, actually it's pretty poor in most aspects, why does it have such a high mal score ?

Rewatching Lovely Complex with the family:

Classic anime from the golden era: Check

Great romance: Check

Great female lead: Check

Absolutely Hilarious: Check

Kansai dialect: Check

Reliving great places in Japan I've been to: Check

Low on tropes: Check

Zero Ecchi: Check

Nothing in poor taste: Check

Family friendly: Check

It stuns me that I can find rewatching something like this over and over so goddamn funny, yet breeze through maybe 100 other alleged comedy animes that barely raise a smirk out of me. Slapstick is so easy to screw up and yet no matter how old this anime is, I still love it every time. The heroine seriously makes the show. The hero is not quite as legendary but it still works. The romance is really done so differently. The only other similar show in the decade following it that I know of is My Love Story. Great stuff.