What Anime are you watching now?

Ryoji

2 hours ago, Strike105X said:
Knights & Magic:

To put it simply, its about a very smart (genius) programmer who is a mech model lover, he is also a very nice guy, he ends up dying only to be reborn (with his past memories intact) in a fantasy world where mechs exists and are operated by magic, quickly he learns that using magic is very similar to programming and revolutionizes mech technology in that world, its very nice to see him getting lost in his passion but never being either stuck up or arrogant, always being there and wanting to help his friends cherishing them a grate deal as well.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it! :) Imo, Knight's & Magic had a pretty forgettable and uneventful story, but the protagonist more than made up for it. I don't like how the events were kinda rushed and it didn't develop the characters that well, but I still enjoyed it greatly due to Ernesti's innovative spirit, enthusiasm, and combat capabilities. I also like how the animators don't spoil the show with CG mecha, which is slowly becoming the norm in this day and age. Overall, the combat was thrilling and well-animated, and the final battle kept me at the edge of my seat! I also found myself intrigued by some of the mecha innovations made throughout the show; it was an interesting concept to see implemented with the fantasy-mecha genre.

So yeah, while it doesn't get high marks for its lack of story and character development, Knight's and Magic is still a tremendously enjoyable anime if you're looking for some old-fashioned mecha goodness.

Edited by Kenshin_sama

Just finished watching Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood for about the tenth time. This time I watched it with my son (15) since he's old enough to enjoy it now as a rite of passage. Goddamnit I think I cry more every time I watch it. Sure I'm not saying anything new about this well known series, however, the way it starts is amazing enough but by the last 10 episodes I can't stop myself from shedding tears. I'm wondering when there will ever be a series this good again on so many levels.

9 hours ago, ittaku said:

Just finished watching Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood for about the tenth time. This time I watched it with my son (15) since he's old enough to enjoy it now as a rite of passage. Goddamnit I think I cry more every time I watch it. Sure I'm not saying anything new about this well known series, however, the way it starts is amazing enough but by the last 10 episodes I can't stop myself from shedding tears. I'm wondering when there will ever be a series this good again on so many levels.

I enjoyed FMA BH and FMA (2013) quite a lot, but I don't recall anything in there sad enough to cry about.

On 12/9/2017 at 6:52 PM, Strike105X said:

Isekai Wa Smartphone Tomo Ni:

Another Isekai themed anime, but again with a nice protagonist, he is quite OP from the get to go, but again a pretty modest and nice type of guy, although his favorite magic  combat spell of use is certainly pretty funny:

This anime pushed all my buttons. I hated it so much. One of the most garbage, harem anime's I ever saw.

ewwwwwwwwwwwww

35 minutes ago, Akshay said:

I enjoyed FMA BH and FMA (2013) quite a lot, but I don't recall anything in there sad enough to cry about.

Tears of joy my friend. Now that you know the story well, I suggest you rewatch FMAB. The first 1/3 is very good, the middle third excellent and the final 3rd godly. Knowing what happens and the relationships and sacrifices are where the tears come from. Also as you get older, you get more sensitive, not less, and I'm quite a bit older than most of the forum (maybe all of it.)

1 hour ago, ittaku said:

Tears of joy my friend. Now that you know the story well, I suggest you rewatch FMAB. The first 1/3 is very good, the middle third excellent and the final 3rd godly. Knowing what happens and the relationships and sacrifices are where the tears come from. Also as you get older, you get more sensitive, not less, and I'm quite a bit older than most of the forum (maybe all of it.)

I watched again recently actually. In amazing encoding. The opening songs are goddamn amazing. It's probably the only anime where I even watch that every episode.  Honestly though, the first 1/3rd is not inferior to the rest in any way. It sets up the characters perfectly, and introduces the concepts and themes used and builds the world very beautifully.

For some reason, despite literally everyone's opinion contradicting mine, I thought that the 2003 version was a little better (not in quality/music). The ending really got me.

Spoiler

The whole, a life cannot be returned just for another life at the end. And the mustang vs Fuhur fight is probably one of my favorite fights in any anime. Also the explanation of the gate; For example, equivalent trade says to gain something one must give something of equal value. So where is the energy for transmutation obtained? A lot of the these concepts were explored a little more in the 2003 version.

Edited by Akshay

1 hour ago, Akshay said:

I watched again recently actually. In amazing encoding. The opening songs are goddamn amazing. It's probably the only anime where I even watch that every episode.  Honestly though, the first 1/3rd is not inferior to the rest in any way. It sets up the characters perfectly, and introduces the concepts and themes used and builds the world very beautifully.

For some reason, despite literally everyone's opinion contradicting mine, I thought that the 2003 version was a little better (not in quality/music). The ending really got me.

Hide contents

The whole, a life cannot be returned just for another life at the end. And the mustang vs Fuhur fight is probably one of my favorite fights in any anime. Also the explanation of the gate; For example, equivalent trade says to gain something one must give something of equal value. So where is the energy for transmutation obtained? A lot of the these concepts were explored a little more in the 2003 version.

Well I don't mean there's anything wrong with the first 1/3 at all - just that the intensity of the last 1/3 is so amazing it's hard to stop watching. Not that you don't know that already.  "Let It Out" is one of my all time favourite anime theme songs EVER.  I carry it around with me in the car and listen to it regularly (along with Starlight, also by Miho Fukuhara who is a truly amazing singer) but it annoys the heck out of me that the audio in it is clipped; so much so that I bought izotope software specifically to declip these two tracks by her.

You're not the only one who likes 2003 better, but that would be the less common opinion. I found FMAB 1000x better than FMA, but to each their own.

1 hour ago, ittaku said:

Well I don't mean there's anything wrong with the first 1/3 at all - just that the intensity of the last 1/3 is so amazing it's hard to stop watching. Not that you don't know that already.  "Let It Out" is one of my all time favourite anime theme songs EVER.  I carry it around with me in the car and listen to it regularly (along with Starlight, also by Miho Fukuhara who is a truly amazing singer) but it annoys the heck out of me that the audio in it is clipped; so much so that I bought izotope software specifically to declip these two tracks by her.

You're not the only one who likes 2003 better, but that would be the less common opinion. I found FMAB 1000x better than FMA, but to each their own.

In terms of songs I liked the first ending (USO) and the first and 4th openings the best.(Again and Period). 

What do you mean by clipped?

Edited by Akshay

9 minutes ago, Akshay said:

What do you mean by clipped?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipping_(audio)

It's a hangover of the "loudness wars" that CDs were made closer and closer to their loudness limits because psychoacoustically things sound better if louder and everyone has their volume control set to the same level. Unfortunately those loudness wars pushed things too far and there is no ability in digital to cope with "too loud" and it ends up creating awful sounding square waves (which are also potentially damaging to speakers). I listen to fairly high quality audio and also like to listen loud so these anomalies sound terrible. If you load up a track into a waveform editor you can see it as the waveform always reaching the top and bottom extents of the graph.

18 minutes ago, ittaku said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipping_(audio)

It's a hangover of the "loudness wars" that CDs were made closer and closer to their loudness limits because psychoacoustically things sound better if louder and everyone has their volume control set to the same level. Unfortunately those loudness wars pushed things too far and there is no ability in digital to cope with "too loud" and it ends up creating awful sounding square waves (which are also potentially damaging to speakers). I listen to fairly high quality audio and also like to listen loud so these anomalies sound terrible. If you load up a track into a waveform editor you can see it as the waveform always reaching the top and bottom extents of the graph.

I never noticed anything like that. Huh. Well i always use headphones, and the audio was FLAC so maybe, you don't notice if you are not using speakers?

3 minutes ago, Akshay said:

I never noticed anything like that. Huh. Well i always use headphones, and the audio was FLAC so maybe, you don't notice if you are not using speakers?

Actually you're more likely to notice it on headphones... Mp3s tend to softly declip but they dont add clipping that wasn't there unless some moron increases the volume when encoding to mp3. I've never found a higher quality source that didn't have clipping so if you have something, I'm all ears ;)

45 minutes ago, ittaku said:

Actually you're more likely to notice it on headphones... Mp3s tend to softly declip but they dont add clipping that wasn't there unless some moron increases the volume when encoding to mp3. I've never found a higher quality source that didn't have clipping so if you have something, I'm all ears ;)

Well. for clipping that was already on the BD-disc, there is probably no solution, unless someone fixed the amplification during the encoding. For clipping that occured during encoding, it will never happen if the output is FLAC.  But in most of the BD-rips at least, the audio quality isn't excessively loud or distorted. For FMABH, try shadycrabs encoding. Beautiful 1080p with straight FLAC (lossless) audio. Download 1 episode and check out the quality. 

FMABH was one of the anime I refused to compromise on quality and now it occupies 140gb of my hard drive.

Edited by Akshay

7 hours ago, Akshay said:

For FMABH, try shadycrabs encoding. Beautiful 1080p with straight FLAC (lossless) audio. Download 1 episode and check out the quality. 

FMABH was one of the anime I refused to compromise on quality and now it occupies 140gb of my hard drive.

I have the blurays. No compromise there.

On 12/13/2017 at 12:53 AM, ittaku said:

I have the blurays. No compromise there.

And in quite a few cases. Encodings are superior to the original BD (from really good encoders, like Beatrice, or Yousai raws) . Anime BDs have issues that often need correcting, whether that be aliasing, halo masking, debanding, or other various things (you'd have to talk to an actual encoder for specifics here, I don't encode). Even when you aren't trying to fix source artifacts or improve on source quality (this is how most Western movies and shows get encoded - true to source), there are still things to be filtered, like dirtylines and debanding.

Edited by Akshay

1 hour ago, Akshay said:

And in quite a few cases. Encodings are superior to the original BD (from really good encoders, like Beatrice, or Yousai raws) . Anime BDs have issues that often need correcting, whether that be aliasing, halo masking, debanding, or other various things (you'd have to talk to an actual encoder for specifics here, I don't encode). Even when you aren't trying to fix source artifacts or improve on source quality (this is how most Western movies and shows get encoded - true to source), there are still things to be filtered, like dirtylines and debanding.

Thanks. I encoded for a fansub group for a decade so this is not news... the FMAB blurays are however flawless.

16 minutes ago, Ranzo said:

Not an anime but whatever I just watched Your Name and that was a damn fine film! A damn fine film! I definitely felt a lot of emotions though no tears

It's a shame that I wasn't able to see it in theaters I wish I had known more about  it then

Movies still count as anime as long as Japanese animation is still prevalent, and you wouldn't be the first to post about one in this thread.

Edited by Kenshin_sama

8 hours ago, Ranzo said:

Not an anime but whatever I just watched Your Name and that was a damn fine film! A damn fine film! I definitely felt a lot of emotions though no tears

It's a shame that I wasn't able to see it in theaters I wish I had known more about  it then

Yep great film. Now go and see A Silent Voice aka Koe no Katachi for another great, but very different anime film.

2 hours ago, ittaku said:

Yep great film. Now go and see A Silent Voice aka Koe no Katachi for another great, but very different anime film.

Koe no Katachi. A film I would be interested in for its depictions of a deaf character, but which I feel I would be incapable of lasting through, for I had way too much trouble with reading the whole manga, and I refuse to put myself through that particular wringer once more.

Incidentally, that somewhat echoes my feelings on Fullmetal Alchemist as well. After a number of episodes of the original series I felt I had had quite enough of the voluntary torture, so now I do not have it in me to start Brotherhood.

59 minutes ago, Mr Poltroon said:

Koe no Katachi. A film I would be interested in for its depictions of a deaf character, but which I feel I would be incapable of lasting through, for I had way too much trouble with reading the whole manga, and I refuse to put myself through that particular wringer once more.

I heard from a friend that it made some good cuts to the unnecessary parts of the manga. From what I heard, it focuses more on the main characters in the series than the supporting ones. Plus, it'll probably be quicker to watch the movie since it's only 2 hours long (which I imagine would take less time than reading 7 volumes of the manga).

Just now, Kenshin_sama said:

I heard from a friend that it made some good cuts to the unnecessary parts of the manga. From what I heard, it focuses more on the main characters in the series than the supporting ones. Plus, it'll probably be quicker to watch the movie since it's only 2 hours long (which I imagine would take less time than reading 7 volumes of the manga).

Hmm...
*light spoilers for the story* --> I suppose when basically everyone is a terrible human being, shifting the focus away from the supporting cast does make it more bearable.

I might watch it with my sister, since she said she wanted to see it again and I haven't yet.