What Anime are you watching now?

Ryoji

10 minutes ago, Kenshin_sama said:

On that note: Go read the manga already! Granted, it does kinda fall flat in the later chapters, but still a good read overall. Also, not gonna spoil who, but Keima does pick a girl at the end.

Thanks. I gathered that enough from something spoilerless in the anime. I can never find time to do manga or LN unfortunately; they're the mediums I spend the least time on. If I ever find myself with infinite spare time I'll do it. Maybe if I wasn't taking on translation projects I would have more time... there's a thought.

15 minutes ago, Seth said:

Ich don't want to spoil things but I have never been so salty over a decision for a girl like in kaminomi. Every other choice, LITERALLY EVERYTHING ELSE, would have been acceptable, just not this.

Heh heh heh. Yeah, the mangaka trolled everyone pretty hard with her.

Although not gonna lie, I didn't mind her that much. Not my first pick, but I wasn't that salty over the decision.

I finished Kiss Him Not Me. It was kind of funny throughout, but the ending was unsatisfying in a lot of ways. While the show looked like it had potential very early on, and especially in episode 5, it never really did much with it and ended up being very shallow. I can't really recommend it, any more than I would recommend a generic harem.

Started watching Planetes, which is phenomenal so far (three episodes in). It manages to juggle the sublime, the mundane, and the ridiculous while telling a compelling human drama. Also, the music is great! Really excited about this one.

5 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

I finished Kiss Him Not Me. It was kind of funny throughout, but the ending was unsatisfying in a lot of ways. While the show looked like it had potential very early on, and especially in episode 5, it never really did much with it and ended up being very shallow. I can't really recommend it, any more than I would recommend a generic harem.

Started watching Planetes, which is phenomenal so far (three episodes in). It manages to juggle the sublime, the mundane, and the ridiculous while telling a compelling human drama. Also, the music is great! Really excited about this one.

Pretty much the same conclusion I came to with KHNM. On the other hand, you're on a real freaking winner with Planetes, it's one of my reference series. My wife loved that one too.

About Kara no Kyoukai:

On 9/19/2017 at 12:28 AM, Fred the Barber said:

I actually liked episode 6 quite a lot, despite it being on the weak side on plot, largely because it introduced a fun, cute character who nonetheless kicked ass; "cute" was in terminally short supply throughout this show, so that was a breath of fresh air.

By the way, I'm not sure if it's a common knowledge or not, but as a person who actually read the original LN, I can say that Episode 6 takes the source material much more liberally than the other episodes, and it does it in a very wrong way. Honestly, I don't remember the details, but I think they even changed the main villain and cut down a lot of important content, including some insight into Hokuto's character which was never done in the anime.

My guess is that they decided to cut the length of this episode due to budget constraints or something like that.

Edited by Dreamysyu

Finished Classroom of Elites. Some actions/settings are questionable, but otherwise liked it.
I was fully expecting the tsundere heroine to warm up to classmates only to have the MC cut them off, but meh.
Do have to wonder what the MC's motivation was in the first arc.

Edited by Beichuuka

• 2 weeks later...

Rewatched Kamisama Hajimemashita recently up to Kako-hen and have to say I enjoyed it as much, if not more, than the first time I watched it. It has the usual archetypes for the main characters (cute and cheerful girl and the cool older guy who acts cold to the girl, but is actually really interested in the girl) but Nanami and Tomoe actually are really interesting in those roles. 

Then I watched Kako-hen for the first time and it kinda blew me away. There was a minor issue in the end since I felt that there was some explanations cut to fit the 4 episodes (which was proven right when I read the manga) but I was stuck to the screen for the entire two hours. It was the best thing I've seen in months (admittedly I wasn't watching much anime recently and when I was watching it was mostly long shonen (Fairy Tail/Inuyasha) that had average stories at best).

Spent pretty much the entire day reading Kamisama manga today and I am really sad the last chapters are still not translated. I couldn't even find raw chapters to try my japanese on, but it looks like they have been out for a while.

On 2017-09-28 at 11:57 PM, ittaku said:

On the other hand, you're on a real freaking winner with Planetes, it's one of my reference series. My wife loved that one too.

Agreed on that one, wasn't too excited going into an anime about space janitors, but it told a great story without leaning on overused anime cliches. I had no idea of what would happen next and it always felt fresh. Definitely a series I would recommend to anyone.

On 2017-09-29 at 1:25 AM, Dreamysyu said:

By the way, I'm not sure if it's a common knowledge or not, but as a person who actually read the original LN, I can say that Episode 6 takes the source material much more liberally than the other episodes, and it does it in a very wrong way. Honestly, I don't remember the details, but I think they even changed the main villain and cut down a lot of important content, including some insight into Hokuto's character which was never done in the anime.

My guess is that they decided to cut the length of this episode due to budget constraints or something like that.

Kara no Kyokai is probably my favorite anime of all time, definitely one of, so I am curious if the LN is worth the read. Is it available in english and is the story different enough (or more fleshed out) from the anime to warrant a read instead of just rewatching all the movies?

1 minute ago, Not_At_All said:

Rewatched Kamisama Hajimemashita recently up to Kako-hen and have to say I enjoyed it as much, if not more, than the first time I watched it. It has the usual archetypes for the main characters (cute and cheerful girl and the cool older guy who acts cold to the girl, but is actually really interested in the girl) but Nanami and Tomoe actually are really interesting in those roles. 

Then I watched Kako-hen for the first time and it kinda blew me away. There was a minor issue in the end since I felt that there was some explanations cut to fit the 4 episodes (which was proven right when I read the manga) but I was stuck to the screen for the entire two hours. It was the best thing I've seen in months (admittedly I wasn't watching much anime recently and when I was watching it was mostly long shonen (Fairy Tail/Inuyasha) that had average stories at best).

Spent pretty much the entire day reading Kamisama manga today and I am really sad the last chapters are still not translated. I couldn't even find raw chapters to try my japanese on, but it looks like they have been out for a while.

I really enjoyed Kamisama as well. Did you watch the final OVA? It was all kinds of awesome as a conclusion.

Yes I've seen it, it was an okay episode for me. The conclusion itself was satisfying, but I felt there were a lot of things that got skipped between E4 of Kako-hen and the final OVA.

Like Tomoe's decision to become human and Nanami's friends suddenly knowing about the supernatural world.

1 hour ago, Not_At_All said:

Kara no Kyokai is probably my favorite anime of all time, definitely one of, so I am curious if the LN is worth the read. Is it available in english and is the story different enough (or more fleshed out) from the anime to warrant a read instead of just rewatching all the movies?

Honestly, I don't remember it very well, but I think all the other chapters were adapted quite faithfully. Also, animation and music in the anime add quite a lot to the overall enjoyment, so the LN as a whole is probably not worth checking out if you've already watched it. The sixth chapter is an exception though. I think that this chapter was actually one of my favorite ones when I read the LN, so I was kind of pissed off to see it butchered (I can see why they decided to do it though).

Also, I don't think it's licensed in English, and I read a fan-translated version. (and I'm not sure if the translation is even good)

11 hours ago, Not_At_All said:

Yes I've seen it, it was an okay episode for me. The conclusion itself was satisfying, but I felt there were a lot of things that got skipped between E4 of Kako-hen and the final OVA.

Reveal hidden contents

Like Tomoe's decision to become human and Nanami's friends suddenly knowing about the supernatural world.

I guess so, but it appeared they knew they would never get another season and had to wrap up the story with OVAs only.

I've started Humanity Has Declined and finished High School Fleet.

High School Fleet has that mix of light-heartedness and actual plot that I like. Sometimes it takes things lightly during more serious moments, other times there's a divide in the episode between the lighter and heavier moments. All of these methods work for me, as long as it doesn't stay serious or silly for too long. And silly here is a bit subjective. The entire premise is already ridiculous, so they tackle reasonable consequences that might come as a result of the setting, like running low on supplies (toilet paper) or potable water, and see how they tackle it.
It's also got other aspects I really liked. Like Girls und Panzer, there's a huge cast of girls controlling heavy World War 2 Machinery and I tend to like huge casts. I don't always need to know who's who, or for their personalities to have deep complexity. Sometimes it's nice to simply know the group dynamics. The girls from engineering spend most of their time warring with the uncontrollable engines and fighting so that they remain combat capable for the entire duration of a battle. Because of this, every time they're out of their hole, they're lazy and just want to relax. Within the group dynamic, there's still individual characters. Generally the ones in charge of a particular section or a particular role that can be carried out by a single individual.
Most aren't delved into deeply, but that's fine. It means that each character only needs one or two traits to stand out, as they get proportional screen-time. It doesn't get old, then. Since they've got such a wide array of stereotypes to pull from, we get to see a bit of everything over the course of the story. I'm still not sure what the job of about 30% of the crew was, but I knew who they were by the end of this, and that's something.

Humanity Has Declined seems like it's something I'll adore.

Humanity is doomed. There's nothing we can do any more. And so, we wait, as we slowly head toward extinction.
In the meanwhile, the next race of humans are here! They're small, perpetually-grinning, and quite clearly mentally challenged. But alas, they're not the ones going extinct, so an organisation was established in order to communicate and deal with them. We follow a human liaison to these creatures. Her name? Irrelevant; but she's the protagonist.
The entire show is about sarcasm and cynicism. It's a satire directed at humanity. It brings to the table many of society's bad habits that still aren't gone now that the whole race is going extinct. It puts us in the shoes of a main character who seems nice but really only cares about making things easier for herself. And we watch her day to day activities as she presents us with the irony of the situation or a general pessimist about thing: After all, it doesn't really matter any more, we're doomed anyway.

Despite the way I set the whole thing up, perhaps half of the comedy is more about the ridiculous situations that come up in the semi-fantasy world than anything. Regardless, I've only watched one episode. I don't know what tone it'll take for the rest of the series, but thus far it seems like a black comedy that isn't really black, and I like that mix.

Watched Kaminomi's season 1 today and I am rather torn about continuing. On one hand, I dislike the whole episodic "conquering" because it feels rather pointless without an ending. Instead the girl's memory is wiped and Keima moves on to another girl. It also doesn't give enough time for the girls to shine.

On the other hand, Keima himself is interesting, there are a few curious things I feel it may yet explore and most of all:

On 2017-09-24 at 1:49 PM, Seth said:

Ich don't want to spoil things but I have never been so salty over a decision for a girl like in kaminomi. Every other choice, LITERALLY EVERYTHING ELSE, would have been acceptable, just not this.

On 2017-09-24 at 2:06 PM, Kenshin_sama said:

Heh heh heh. Yeah, the mangaka trolled everyone pretty hard with her.

These make me really curious.

So I'd like an opinion of the good people around here. Is the ending where Keima picks a girl in the anime or do I have to read the manga afterwards? If that's the case, at what chapter is the last anime episode? I don't mind reading manga, but with a massive backlog it might be a better idea to just stop here. Also, maybe the story takes a less episodic turn later on? 

5 hours ago, ittaku said:

I guess so, but it appeared they knew they would never get another season and had to wrap up the story with OVAs only.

I have no strong opinion on whether a disconnected ending is better than no ending, but it makes me sad that there will be no more Kamisama anime :(

I finished Planetes. The long last arc was something of a surprise, coming on the heels of mostly episodic content, but I'm all about shows with solid half-season arcs, so I thought it was perfect. The story overall felt maybe a little bit rushed, especially in that last arc, but that's probably the only negative thing I could possibly say about the series: it blew me away and reignited my dormant passion for space stuff, which is an amazing feeling. Makes me want to go find more near-future hard sci-fi and ride out the high.

7 hours ago, Mr Poltroon said:

Humanity Has Declined seems like it's something I'll adore.

This one is on my shelf and is something I'm looking forward to, mostly because of the original story having been written by Tanaka Romeo, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Keep us posted on how you like it!

8 hours ago, Not_At_All said:

Watched Kaminomi's season 1 today and I am rather torn about continuing. On one hand, I dislike the whole episodic "conquering" because it feels rather pointless without an ending. Instead the girl's memory is wiped and Keima moves on to another girl. It also doesn't give enough time for the girls to shine.

On the other hand, Keima himself is interesting, there are a few curious things I feel it may yet explore and most of all:

These make me really curious.

So I'd like an opinion of the good people around here. Is the ending where Keima picks a girl in the anime or do I have to read the manga afterwards? If that's the case, at what chapter is the last anime episode? I don't mind reading manga, but with a massive backlog it might be a better idea to just stop here. Also, maybe the story takes a less episodic turn later on? 

I have no strong opinion on whether a disconnected ending is better than no ending, but it makes me sad that there will be no more Kamisama anime :(

First of all the episodic nature becomes less and less the more the story goes on, season 3 is basically one big arc. After the anime ends there is one big (the biggest actually) arc left in the manga and begins at chapter 190. Also many of the girls reappear in other seasons so don't worry about them not getting enough screentime. I would recommend reading the manga though because in the anime they leave out a lot of stuff between season 2 and 3 which makes it somewhat hard to follow the story as a pure anime watcher. And one of my favourite arcs is included in the skip so I am a bit biased :P

I don't remember how far I got into Jinrui wa Suitaishimashita, but the LN was.... interesting? I guess?
Not your average LN, anywho.

TWGOK was surprisingly good at how it connected its episodes to the big final arc.
Sadly, the mangaka's newest work isn't nearly as interesting.

18 hours ago, Seth said:

First of all the episodic nature becomes less and less the more the story goes on, season 3 is basically one big arc. After the anime ends there is one big (the biggest actually) arc left in the manga and begins at chapter 190. Also many of the girls reappear in other seasons so don't worry about them not getting enough screentime. I would recommend reading the manga though because in the anime they leave out a lot of stuff between season 2 and 3 which makes it somewhat hard to follow the story as a pure anime watcher. And one of my favourite arcs is included in the skip so I am a bit biased :P

Longer arcs and girls from previous arcs returning? Sold. :) I'll watch season 2 at least and then go from there. I don't want to skip any manga only arcs so I'll probably read them when I come to them in the anime. There is a good list of the arcs in the Kaminomi wikia so I should be able to jump between anime and manga. Thanks.

Currently I took Inu x Boku SS for a quick rewatch, since it is a nice short anime with a satisfying ending and it's somewhat similar to Kamisama Hajimemashita. It's pretty much as I remember it, though both Ririchyo and Miketsukami are downgrades from Nanami/Tomoe in my eyes.

Just watched the kantai collection movie (at last). It was okay. The TV series was actually better.

Next up, the sword art online movie, Ordinal Scale. I must admit having found the conclusion to both TV seasons meh I don't have much hope for this, but then again I downloaded it for the much talked about bluray version Asuna nipple scene which I've already scouted out and thought... okay for us eroge readers that was no biggie. I couldn't even see her face in it so what's the bet it was a body double...?

2 hours ago, ittaku said:

Next up, the sword art online movie, Ordinal Scale. I must admit having found the conclusion to both TV seasons meh I don't have much hope for this, but then again I downloaded it for the much talked about bluray version Asuna nipple scene which I've already scouted out and thought... okay for us eroge readers that was no biggie. I couldn't even see her face in it so what's the bet it was a body double...?

I finished the SAO movie. It was in serious danger of the infamous bluray nipple being the most redeeming feature of the movie. It was a slow self obsessed rehash of almost every SAO story before, making all the same mistakes of the original series... until the end where the last 20 minutes of action and pseudo story with a super fucking duper happy ending almost redeeming all the issues of the 1 /2 hours before it. Nonetheless thanks to the ending I enjoyed the movie overall and was happy to have watched it.

20 minutes ago, ittaku said:

I finished the SAO movie. It was in serious danger of the infamous bluray nipple being the most redeeming feature of the movie (admittedly it was a very good nipple.) It was a slow self obsessed rehash of almost every SAO story before, making all the same mistakes of the original series... until the end where the last 20 minutes of action and pseudo story with a super fucking duper happy ending almost redeeming all the issues of the 1 /2 hours before it. Nonetheless thanks to the ending I enjoyed the movie overall and was happy to have watched it.

I recently just finished Durarara!!X2. So fantastic! I pretty much enjoy watching it from start to end and I really like the characters especially Kasane Kujiragi. I felt in love with her the moment I saw her! :Chocola: 

Hope to see more of her if there's a possible third season of this wonderful anime! And I kinda also itching to watch Sword Art Online Ordinal Scale. It will have to have wait i guess... Still have to study and prepare for exams oh boy :makina:

Finally watched the kizumonogatari trilogy movies. They were really good and could actually be watched as a standalone trilogy if you've never seen any of the *monogatari series - though I guess they're spoilers since they're prequels that are meant to be watched after you've watched the series to see how it all started. There was an odd story discrepancy from the latest owarimonogatari specials there but I let it slide as perhaps I misunderstood the timing of where the other ones fit in. However there is one hot scene with Hanekawa in the 3rd film with Yui Horie voice acting which is about as close as she's ever come to VA'ing 18+ eroge as I've ever heard and man did that stroke my nutsack. I finished the owarimonogatari specials too and they were very good, but not the standard these movies were.