What Anime are you watching now?

Ryoji

Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushi - 10/10

If the apparent age difference does not bother you, this should be an awesome romance. Light spoilers below.

Spoiler

I suppose you could say this is my particular brand of sappy. I mean, have you looked at the title? It means something like "The World is Still Beautiful".

I love the setting. I love how it refuses to stay serious for too long and I love how it makes comedic subversions of drama clichés. It almost feels like it was tailored for me, for many reasons.
The premise is one I've seen often, and that I've rarely been disappointed by, since I'm a twisted sod who's a fan of, for example, the Stockholm syndrome, which can be considered a more extreme example of being married off to a foreign country. And the day to day of the court? Fan of that as well. A huge Kingdom, with a king who works for the people, much to the chagrin of the nobility? Awesome. And it's the most powerful kingdom, as well, making it sort of like one of those "positive" dictatorships I so like.

And what does it do with this premise? It crafts a typical shoujo story, about feelings and healing and goodness. Also tackles themes of family and growing up. Absolutely my thing. The princess' singing is indeed something she considers sacred, and would rather perform only to heal or reflect people's feelings. Not that I like that one English sentence that starts off her song. Come, now, that sounds terribly awkward.

Character-wise, it is still a success on all counts. Nike-hime is typically atypical. The "strong-headed tomboy" is by no means an original concept for a female protagonist, but it is nevertheless one of my favourites, behind the stoic characters. Because of her personality, things never went quite as expected. I mean, never mind that she's frightfully overpowered, she gets arrested for mocking the king of the most powerful kingdom in the world and breaks out of said prison to go complain at him in the same episode. How can I not love her? Not to mention, I like her voice, so there's yet another plus.
And the king? Despite his appearance he very much acts and sounds like any other teenager in anime, so I'll just assume he's having growth issues. He's got a more standard personality that I'm used to male leads having, not that that's a minus. It's tried and tested, and it's good.
Then there's Nike's great family, the King's playboy uncle, the lovable maids, the straight man butler, and the three elders who represent the wisest people in the country..................................................?

The romance was very much cute. So, there. ~~~~<3

And I also happen to have liked the OP and watched it a bunch of times, so there's that.

I'll be reading the manga whenever it finishes publishing. See you in twenty.

I also started a couple of shorts, Youjo Shenki and Ninja Girl & Samurai Master, the latter of which leading me to read into the history of the Sengoku period. Finally. I now get some of the references in Sengoku Rance, so power to me, I guess.

31 minutes ago, Eclipsed said:

Something i wanna watch is Kimi no Nawa, but it just came out in theatres last August. Seems to be one of those body switching romance types

But man having a 9.32 MAL rating from 177k voters is insane

Oh, yeah. I need to watch that too.
I need to watch many films. Many Ghibli films. Many other anime films. Many Disney films. Many, many animated films, essentially.

2 hours ago, Eclipsed said:

Something i wanna watch is Kimi no Nawa, but it just came out in theatres last August. Seems to be one of those body switching romance types

Saw it at the cinema with the whole family. It's superb. Try not to read up too much about it or you'll be spoilt; it is far more than just a body swap romance and surprised me which was remarkable in itself. I'm looking forward to seeing A silent voice in the cinema as well, but it has far more modest ambitions in its plot and I doubt will be quite as good but it's still rating well.

2 hours ago, Eclipsed said:

It's definitely a good movie, it didn't quite leave as big as an impression on me as other people. I found the "romance" aspect, between the two leads, rather abruptly injected into the plot with little build up and the ending felt unnecessary. Nothing that horribly harmed the experience for me though and I can certainly see why many would call it "perfect". 

Edited by Soulless Watcher

11 hours ago, Soulless Watcher said:

I can certainly see why many would call it "perfect". 

There's no doubt that there's a tendency for newer things to rate more highly than old, irrespective of absolute quality. Only time will really tell where something lies. For example, there's a reason Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood rates more highly than all other series by virtually all different ways of ranking something, despite it having finished 7 years ago. Most other shows that have people rewatching or watching something long after it aired tend to rank lower with time. It would be nice if we had a retrospectoscope that could look back from the future on the present and give us the real rating, but alas no such technology exists (anyone got a microwave and mobile phone handy?) Additionally beyond a certain age, styles and sensibilities change and can never rate as good as they originally did. Either way, I rated Kimi no Na wa a 10/10 where that means "exquisite beyond words" because I felt that during the movie. However it's not as good as FMAB is... sheesh why am I being so pedantic? Point is it's still superb, but that doesn't mean it's my all time favourite film/show/series.

Watched No Game No Life on Youtube last night (So much that I slept at almost 6 AM this morning). As for my comment, the MC (Sora) was quite interesting that he was quite smart and manage to rule a kingdom except he was smart at games and the conflict was settle by game (Card game, rock paper scissors, chess, you name it). While at the first look it was another anime with harem setup (One guy with several girl), turn out it was quite good and tolerable because at least Sora was had some interesting personality (ie quite cunning). Although the fact that Sora had very reliable female sidekick was help though, and also the world conquering plot. For last word here, the game was quite serious business there, with some calculating from Sora (Very extensively if I may say).

Edited by littleshogun

The 6th movie of Kara no Kyoukai should have its "Garden of Sinners" thing renamed to "Garden of Azaka Moe", dis gal was just a super background character up til now and then BAM main lead for this movie xD.

Alotta people discreditted this movie for being kinda lackluster ehh especially after the badass 5th movie

But uhh I'm a moe kinda guy so it was pretty fun :3

UOGNhHY.png

Finished the last / 7th Kara no Kyoukai movie

Idk, I liked the plot and the inner morals conflicts revolving around Shiki, but the baddie this time around was just so mehhh villain-of-the-week fodder compared to big baddie Araya from the 5th movie so it was less epic

Overall it's a pretty enjoyable series so if you got the time you should go for it ^-^

BTW: throughout the whole time I was always bothered by how everyone is like a predecessor clone of someone from Fate/Stay. Bejeebus, these guys REALLY liked their char designs so much they recycled them all huh ._.

YuVAFhn.jpg (200×200)ADt18ml.jpgZ3ppZIv.jpg (200×200)Wyy8WOj.jpg (200×200)R4tbarr.jpg (200×200)2XLEZd7.jpg (200×200)k51nhDy.jpgfc60lxZ.jpg (200×200)5uPyarv.jpgQ354YSu.jpg (200×200)

17 hours ago, Eclipsed said:

Finished the last / 7th Kara no Kyoukai movie

Idk, I liked the plot and the inner morals conflicts revolving around Shiki, but the baddie this time around was just so mehhh villain-of-the-week fodder compared to big baddie Araya from the 5th movie so it was less epic

Overall it's a pretty enjoyable series so if you got the time you should go for it ^-^

BTW: throughout the whole time I was always bothered by how everyone is like a predecessor clone of someone from Fate/Stay. Bejeebus, these guys REALLY liked their char designs so much they recycled them all huh ._.

Well it is set in a alternative universe from Tsukihime/Fate Stay Night, so it is entirely possible that some people share "souls", but that is a fanfiction for another time:sachi:. 

Did you watch Mirai Fukuin and Mirai Fukuin Extra Chorus? It's a decent enough, collection of side stories to the series. 

Edited by Soulless Watcher

2 hours ago, kooolm said:

Currently watching second season of Rewrite. Can't imagine watching this without playing the VN first, feels very rushed, but I'm enjoying this since I loved the game and it's nice to see all the characters again.

It's okay, you don't need to try so hard to convince yourself that you like it; accept that it really is shit.

I'm watching Youjo Senki again and again and can't wait for a season 2. 9/10 on MAL.

Aside that, I'd like try something, not especially really old, kind of, but some good underrated anime. So I'm watching Tsubasa after hearing it's music.

Oh, and Acca 13-ku kansatsu-ka is definitely underrated in the last season. I left it with 8/10 on MAL.

Edited by Kazami Yuiji

20 hours ago, ittaku said:

It's okay, you don't need to try so hard to convince yourself that you like it; accept that it really is shit.

The first one was shit, I agree, but the latter half of the second season was pretty good. Although, my expectations were pretty low by that time, so that must be the reason I managed to take a little enjoyment out of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, which was actually really good. My expectations were pretty low given that 99% of what I heard about it on the internet was "OMG thicc", so thanks for the pro tip, @Jun Inoue. I'm a sucker for sweet, positive stories with quirky, unique characters, and this delivered that in spades.

Edit: I picked up Ping Pong on the recommendation of a reformed weeb friend who said it's one of the greatest shows he's ever watched ("Shows. Not anime."). Three episodes in, and I have to admit, it's looking to be pretty damn good.

Edited by Fred the Barber
So that Zeno doesn't have to merge two successive replies.

You know what, I'm just making a new post this time, because this is important. It's not my fault the thread hasn't had anybody else talking in six days.

Ping Pong is outstanding and you should watch it if you enjoy amazing things. I was into it, but not super into it, until episode 10, at which point it all came together and a chorus of angels began to sing. This show is unbelievable, and if you haven't already seen it, do yourself a favor and go watch it.

18 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

You know what, I'm just making a new post this time, because this is important. It's not my fault the thread hasn't had anybody else talking in six days.

Ping Pong is outstanding and you should watch it if you enjoy amazing things. I was into it, but not super into it, until episode 10, at which point it all came together and a chorus of angels began to sing. This show is unbelievable, and if you haven't already seen it, do yourself a favor and go watch it.

I watched one episode and gave up. I guess I needed to try a teensy bit more.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished KonoSuba 2 earlier, which was as excellent as the first one. I don't watch enough isekai shows to be completely burned out on them yet (I can still watch/read DanMachi, for instance), but it's still lovely seeing such an artfully-executed parody/exaggeration of the genre. I like how they're constantly toeing the line between utterly serious and well-executed but stock isekai material (whether it's a big battle scene or a full minute spent marveling at lush, exotic scenery) and the utterly ridiculous situations that the utterly ridiculous characters end up in.

That done, I decided to pick up Interviews with Monster Girls. After one episode, I'm enjoying it and looking forward to more; it looks very sweet and innocent, which should be a nice followup to the sarcastic and self-aware KonoSuba.

1 hour ago, Fred the Barber said:

That done, I decided to pick up Interviews with Monster Girls. After one episode, I'm enjoying it and looking forward to more; it looks very sweet and innocent, which should be a nice followup to the sarcastic and self-aware KonoSuba.

Interviews is beautiful at times and solid for the rest of the time. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Hikari, which means light, really is a shining light throughout the series which is ironic given she's a vampire :)

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, skrewball717 said:

Just watched episode 9 of Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata...and I am about as pissed as I have been in a long time after watching an episode for so many reasons. If anyone else is watching this...please tell me it's not just me.

It's not just you. Though I guess the writer achieved his aim of making us appropriately disgusted. This episode was the one that made me think this story is taking too long with not enough material, and it doesn't look like there's any resolution in sight anywhere at this rate.

Just finished watching the feature length "Suki ni naru sono shunkan wo" aka The Moment You Fall in Love which is the ~sequel to Zutto Mae Kara Suki Deshita aka I've always loved you, the second in the "(love) confession executive committee" movies. It was a very pleasant romance to pass the time without much in the way of real drama and a handful of standard tropes but nicely executed and most enjoyable. There were strong ties to the first movie with it being set in parallel with other the characters, but each movie can easily be watched by itself though the order to watch them should be obeyed and I enjoyed the earlier one a little more than this one. I believe they were planning one more in the series as well. Definitely worth a watch if you want to see some self contained unchallenging romance - just make sure to watch beyond the closing credits. 8/10