What Anime are you watching now?

Ryoji

I have this proclivity for watching kind of shallow stuff while cooking. In that capacity, I finished up DanMachi, which was fine. I've already read the light novels at least as far as all the stuff covered in the anime, so it wasn't anything new to me, but I do still like the story, and I suppose it was nice seeing the cute girls illustrated and animated, especially Lili.

After that, I briefly tried Chaika again, but it didn't quite click, again. I'm probably not giving it the attention it deserves, honestly, and should just watch it without doing other stuff at the same time. But not right now. So, instead, I picked up Engaged to the Unidentified, and it's splendid for that kind of part-time watching. I'm really slow at figuring out what's really going on, so I'm pleased with myself for, I think, getting this one pretty early. But time will tell if I'm right. In the meantime, while I watch the normal rom-com shenanigans unfold, it's a pleasant show with fun characters, and, not gonna lie, it helps that the main girl, Kobeni, is pretty much ideal.

1 hour ago, Fred the Barber said:

After that, I briefly tried Chaika again, but it didn't quite click, again. I'm probably not giving it the attention it deserves, honestly, and should just watch it without doing other stuff at the same time. But not right now. So, instead, I picked up Engaged to the Unidentified, and it's splendid for that kind of part-time watching. I'm really slow at figuring out what's really going on, so I'm pleased with myself for, I think, getting this one pretty early. But time will tell if I'm right. In the meantime, while I watch the normal rom-com shenanigans unfold, it's a pleasant show with fun characters, and, not gonna lie, it helps that the main girl, Kobeni, is pretty much ideal.

You know, I've been meaning to read the manga, but I was waiting so long for a certain scanlation group to release another chapter only to have eventually forgotten about it and not realize that another group picked it up about a year later. Despite having watched the anime 3 years ago, I'm still very interested in finding out where the story goes. Engaged to the Unidentified does end on a good note, but it felt like things were just beginning to unfold rather than wrap up, which is why I was initially thrilled that someone decided to translate the manga at the time. Well, at least my wait will be rewarded with over 6 volumes to read. :)

I finished both Maria the Virgin Witch and Engaged to the Unidentified in the last couple days.

Maria was really something special — not a 10/10, but a solid 9/10. I'm a sucker for strong female leads, first of all, and Maria is as strong as they come, in terms of both will and power. There were times when I thought the show was approaching being a little too whiny, but every time that happened (basically any time Joseph opened his mouth), I was pleased to see that the writers agreed with me and promptly used the familiars to great comedic effect to totally undercut the mood and get me to laugh. I fell for the side characters almost as hard as I did the main characters; aside from the witch quartet, they were all unique and striking, from crafty and crazy Brother Bernard, through saucy and lovable Viv, to cute and innocent Anne, with a lot of stops in between they were all just so different. Probably most importantly for my final very positive feelings about the series, the ending was a total knockout, bringing both a lot of cool surprises and a satisfying conclusion. What a great show!

Engaged to the Unidentified was merely fine. Very pleasant, but pretty cookie-cutter rom-com.

Edit: A day later, I've picked up Orange and watched the first three episodes. Looking really, really good so far. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be rating this one highly as long as it has a complete ending, but just how highly depends on the nature of the ending.

Edited by Fred the Barber
So Zeno doesn't have to merge my two posts

On 11/03/2017 at 3:42 PM, Fred the Barber said:

Edit: A day later, I've picked up Orange and watched the first three episodes. Looking really, really good so far. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be rating this one highly as long as it has a complete ending, but just how highly depends on the nature of the ending.

I was stunned by Orange and was eagerly awaiting each episode week by week since it felt so amazing with its characters and story when it started... but that faded and by the end it was pretty average even if it did have a relatively satisfying conclusion. The production quality was really shoddy in places too. :( Disappointed.

• 2 weeks later...

Getting caught up on One Piece using the One Pace fan edit for Dressrosa...and while I like alot of what's happening this whole arc has so far been a pretty good example of the term "Blue Balls". The story's building up so many things that are interesting, but I'm wondering when something's actually going to start moving forward, most recent example for me is Usopp's Han Solo moment (which kind of feels like a repeat of the scene leading to his fight way back in Arlong Park) where just once the fight starts it's time for another character's flashback.

Edit: Never mind that point after the flashback and to my surprise the part where my One Pace episodes ended and I just went back to regular episodes (686) has so far been a good point to do that. Better opening even in Hard Knock Days, and best of all, there's no part where the music's interrupted (much as I like Akio Otsuka, not even he could make Blackbeard's Saturday morning cartoon villain part of that previous OP not annoying)

Edited by BookwormOtaku

Finished White Album 2 a while ago and it managed to unfold a surprisingly emotional power. It was a nice change of pace to watch an anime which didn't just use a the bog-standard slice-of-life comedy formua and kept a more serious tone instead. It actually reminded me of the better animes from Key like Angel Beats, Clannad or Kanon. Setsuna and Kazusa in particular were very likable heroines that were easy to fall for. The only thing that was a bit underwhelming in comparison to the aforementioned Key works was the somewhat generic protagonist and that the story lost a lot of steam in the second half. Still, it was a decent show that got me a lot more interested in the actual VN.

I also started watching the infamous Re:Zero. Heard mixed reactions about it so I wasn't sure what to expect, but so far I can't complain. Although it uses one of the oldest anime tropes in history - time loop on death - it's actually very well made. The scenes get more tension and spice because you can't really be sure if the characters will actually survive. It also has some real bad-ass characters, like Elsa the scary as hell but totally awesome assassin chick or Reinhard the knight. Emilia the half-elf girl is also a great heroine, gorgeous girl but definitely more than just good looks. Protagonist is a bit too over the top, but in comparison to many others still on the okayish side. And the action is really great so far. No idea if it stays that way but for now I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

I decided I wanted to watch a mindless moe comedy, so I picked up Gabriel Dropout, which, some five episodes in, is pretty much nailing those expectations — it's not amazing or anything, but it's exactly what I was looking for.

One pleasant surprise has been the subtitles: they actually are amazing. Whoever wrote them has a damn fine sense of humor and a deft touch. Wish I knew how to find out the people who wrote the Crunchyroll subtitles for a given series so I could direct some plaudits their way...

3 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

I decided I wanted to watch a mindless moe comedy, so I picked up Gabriel Dropout, which, some five episodes in, is pretty much nailing those expectations — it's not amazing or anything, but it's exactly what I was looking for.

One pleasant surprise has been the subtitles: they actually are amazing. Whoever wrote them has a damn fine sense of humor and a deft touch. Wish I knew how to find out the people who wrote the Crunchyroll subtitles for a given series so I could direct some plaudits their way...

Well said. I kept expecting to be disappointed so I could drop GD but instead I found myself laughing out loud. And as for the subtitles, you are spot on; this is one of the best localisations in anime I can recall. There is a LOT of artistic license in their approach to translation but in terms of capturing nuance while writing something completely different from the original Japanese, this has been sensational.

On 4/2/2017 at 10:42 PM, ittaku said:

Well said. I kept expecting to be disappointed so I could drop GD but instead I found myself laughing out loud. And as for the subtitles, you are spot on; this is one of the best localisations in anime I can recall. There is a LOT of artistic license in their approach to translation but in terms of capturing nuance while writing something completely different from the original Japanese, this has been sensational.

So half an hour ago I was going through my Twitter feed, and I stumbled across two of MangaGamer's translators going back and forth about how great the GabDro subs were. Lo and behold, the translator drops into the curiouscat.me site for one of them just to say thanks for the kind words. Totally made my day :miyako:

• 2 weeks later...

I've watched or started watching quite a few things lately. Mostly catching up on Winter season.

Contains generally light spoilers up to the episode listed or the whole show (not much) if a score is presented instead.

Little Witch Academia - EP 5

Spoiler

As I had loved the original 'film', I decided to start watching a bit of this show. As it was two cour, I had figured it would not incentivise binge-watching, but I was terribly mistaken. Upon watching the first episode I was immediately compelled to proceed until I finally managed to stop at episode 5.

Oh, goodness gracious I loved what I've seen thus far.
As one might know, my preference lies with light-hearted shows and cute things and comedic things. This is truly a great mix of them all, along with a relatively unique setting -- in fact, a setting I've coveted quite a bit, but have failed to find as much as I'd like.
Now then, I'm not sure how many people would classify this as a comedy, but it's definitely the thing I've laughed to the most in quite a while (exempting Konosuba). There's something about the cute slapstick, as opposed to a more aggressive slapstick, and I know there's more. I might analyse a couple of the earlier episodes -- which made me laugh a lot -- later down the line. Don't count on it.
There's also the way the "perfect" girl is not utterly evil towards the more incompetent protagonist and the way that the more incompetent protagonist does not have every bit of plot armour and plot devices working for her advantage. These are two other things I really appreciated in what I've seen thus far.

Finally, I like the characters of Atsuko, though she is a bit too gung-ho for me to be able to watch without getting embarrassed, of Diana, who is, in fact, the good person she tries to be, and Sucy, who is in every way awesome #bestfemalecharacter

Gabriel Dropout - EP 4

Spoiler

Unlike certain individuals, I never shared the scepticism this show seemed to be getting, with its seemingly tired premise and generic execution. I thought the premise was awesome, in fact!

It just so happens that once I got into it, I noticed that, despite the smile plastered on my face throughout the show, I wasn't really "liking it" as I had expected. Maybe it really was generic? I am really easy to influence, after all, the idea might have gotten somewhere into my head.

In as best a retrospect as I can muster now, I wasn't enjoying the character of Satania as much as I had expected to, and I'm not big fan of characters like Raphiel, though I can enjoy their antics at times.
Thankfully, as I gave it more of a chance, it grew on me a bit. The coffee owner? Excellent. Gabriel's personality? I empathise enough; excellent. Satania being on the receiving end of all the abuse, physical or otherwise? Excellent.

Did it grow on me or did something change? That, I do not know. What I do know is that I know find it to be a respectable comedy and will finish watching it.

Although I'll note I didn't notice too much in the translation side of things. Would a kind soul (@Fred the Barber) be able to show me examples of what is meant when one says that the subtitles are better than average?

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid - EP 10

Spoiler

I am a big fan of Kyoto Animation. Not for the reasons others seem to point out, such as animation (I'm incapable of noticing much difference in animation between pretty much anything -- though even I loved how goofy and derpy Konosuba insisted on being... to a point, didn't really notice it the first time), but because it's the first studio I ever watched anything from, and back when I started watching anime as I do now, I even thought such ridiculous things as them being one of the "few" anime studios, and only watched things from them for a while. Which turned out well, because I've liked everything I've seen from them.

So because I am prone to a fair degree of fanaticism, I always like anything they make. This is no exception, but I didn't like it as much as I thought I would, for varying reasons. First of all, I was under the impression this was a comedy, and whilst it is, it is not the comedy I expected, containing lesser funny moments than I would have preferred. Furthermore, I was under the impression it originated from a 4-koma comedy manga which only heightened my expectations for an uproariously funny show.
So yes, I came in with my perspective way too coloured by outside factors, but I managed to adjust.
Another problem I faced was one I've been noticing too much lately. I don't pay enough attention to the screen. Following the subtitles already require too much of my attention, to the point where I don't pay enough heed to what occurs, and as such I missed many things, such as Kanna's funny gags/cute moments. Add to this the fact that I didn't find Kanna particularly cute (I prefer goofy drawings to more shiny things) and that was another unexpected disappointment.

Oof. After all this complaining, I should note that it's still sitting at a 9/10 with potential for 8/10. But why? What is there to like?

Well, it is still a funny comedy when it tries to be, and it is quite full of heart-warming moments. I like Fafnir. I like Tohru and her clear love. I like Kobayashi and her dead fish eyes. I like seeing Kobayashi work and the way she looks like the 'typical Japanese father' of the house. I like how they project feelings of 'family'. I can't say I'm a fan of the more serious moments, but I overall quite like the whole bond they create here.
That... seems to be enough. I'll see how it ends.

Youjo Senki - 9/10

Spoiler

Right from the start it seemed appealing. Unlike what I imagine would be most, I didn't need the second episode to be sold on the show. What I wanted, a tactical genius, a capable protagonist with a disregard for scruples, was here. Now to see her win things.

The show had much more than that, of course. Whereas I was only looking to see the protagonist bulldoze over her opponents, along with her atypical views of the world (essentially, all that one looks in a protagonist -- a personality of her own), the show contained plenty of political intrigue and tactical planning, as well as depictions of a grim side of the war. Other than that, it was also plenty fun at times, such as Tanya requiring specific furniture to accommodate her proportions or the gags at the end of the episodes.
The female lieutenant was also good fun, what with her seemingly innocent personality, but then the existence of plenty of moments where she is shown to be as much of a ruthless soldier as anyone else. She is an excellent foil, or perhaps complement, to Tanya. She was a side character, no doubt about it, but she was also Tanya's companion through it all.

It didn't always go exactly where I wanted it to. I never, unlike what I've found some people to think, wanted her to have a rival in power. That should be clear from my initial comments, actually. But all turned out well. After all, she is terribly overpowered.
I didn't like her for being crazy, you see, I liked her for her pragmatism and because she cared to win the war and get some quiet. That that was her objective was hilarious. That she was ruthless and conniving to achieve it was hilarious. That things backfired when she put her plots to attain an easy life into action was hilarious.

I didn't actually expect so many people to make it out alive, but I wager it was an effort to realign the plot with the novels.

I could list other things I really liked, such as her speech on human emotions and the Imperial Command's pragmatism, which ended up being their downfall, or how underpowered that one country was. How frightfully authentic.

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. - 9/10

Spoiler

ACCA was neither what I expected nor what I wanted, but I still really liked it.
I expected a show about uncovering hidden corruption within the organisation. I wanted the Inspection Department to be this powerful entity that strikes fear into each of the differing branches' hearts with their random audits and inspections. The show was neither of these things.

This was instead a show of political machinations and such situations going on behind the scenes, masterfully crafted, as all was interconnected, and all acted within their own motivations... Except the protagonist and his own personality. His personality is plenty similar to mine. In general, he doesn't really care and ends up just doing what he's told. This is the story of how events beyond his control end up highly affecting him, and how he maintains his passivity through it all regardless. Or tries to.
And those machinations? The majority isn't even shown to us. Our point of view is generally kept to that of the protagonist, and that's good. We're left out of the loop, like him, most of the time. We learn things with him, and at then end, all is unravelled, and all seems to be connected. A wonder; a wonderful, wondrous, wonder.

Aside from that, it was also a show that showcased the society of this country. What ACCA as an organisation is, and how it affected the population in each district -- something I rather enjoyed watching.

Seitokai Yakuindomo - 9/10

Spoiler

People say you shouldn't read the comments. Well, it was due to the comments I found out about this show, so, there!
And I can see why the comments would be the perfect place to find out about a show like this. I mean, who, with any dignity in him, would actively discuss this show? Exempting my personage, of course.

I have never seen anything as perverted with so little 'fanservice' and so little gross depictions. It was childish and adult alike. It was a show of double entendre, and simultaneously a parody of depictions of male characters in anime.
Imagine a premise of a girl's only high school turned cooed, where the protagonist is one of the few boys to be admitted in... See where it is going? Now imagine that most girls are perverts and that the protagonist isn't one in the least. Now make a comedy out of it and you have this show.

Mind you, whilst its perverted comedy is the main draw, there's plenty of other comedy here. It originated from a 4-koma comedy manga, after all.

I found this to be a really funny comedy most of the time, mainly because of how forward it is on its subject matter, whilst keeping it almost exclusively verbal. The exaggeration goes so far, in the end, that it's terribly hilarious.
Finally, I must mention the photographer, her hilarity, and her amazing voice acting (The teacher also had amazing voice acting).

I leave with this: Do not expect it to be the same as other perverted anime. I recommend anyone not entirely prudish give it a try and then decide.

Gi(a)rlish Number - 9/10

Spoiler

This starts as a show satirising the anime industry, and ends as a show about its characters.
Coincidentally, it starts off really strong and ends off not as strong.

To surmise what sells this show: Satire and Chi-sama (only a few people referred to her as such, but it fits remarkably well).
The satire demonstrates how voice actresses' acting capacity is not the most important, how incompetent people at the top end up causing unfortunately terrible anime and how such anime end up getting further seasons. But more importantly, Chisato, and how she made the show for me: She simultaneously has endless self confidence and confidence issues. She is blatantly two-faced. She is evidently selfish. And that makes her easy to get along with and laugh at (I'd say she is similar to Aqua in Konosuba).
I'd say she makes the show, and it's incredibly funny to see others getting development and progressing with their careers whilst she remains the same. But, alas, all has to end.
Ironically enough, her getting development might be what I least liked in the show, not so much for that very fact itself, but through its execution. And it was so close to getting that 10 and ending my streak of 9's...
Why was her final confession emotional at all? Who cared about that? Whatever way she chose to motivate herself, what do others care? Why would anyone be proud, or happy, at what she said? I can't say I found much sense in what I had hoped would be an epic final episode.

Still, I can't forget how much I laughed all through the earlier half. It was really awesome.

Kiss Him Not Me - EP 3

Spoiler

I was this close to not finishing the first episode, due to how it parodied other generic shoujo by reproducing them with no intent to follow through on the romance department. Thankfully, I stuck with it, and I now see it as enough of a comedy to proceed.

And it is a fairly good premise. I've seen similar, though not in a reverse harem situation specifically. It has tremendous potential for comedy, depending on what they do with it. Be careful never to go so far as making me think there might be a main romance partner and I think I should be able to handle it fine.

Credit where credit is due, I really like the protagonist's voice, by the same actress as the teacher in Seitokai Yakuindomo. She sounds so unnaturally natural, is how I'd put it.

It took me three and a half hours to write this? God, I'm slow.

2 minutes ago, Mr Poltroon said:

I've watched or started watching quite a few things lately. Mostly catching up on Winter season.

Contains generally light spoilers up to the episode listed or the whole show (not much) if a score is presented instead.

Reveal hidden contents

As I had loved the original 'film', I decided to start watching a bit of this show. As it was two cour, I had figured it would not incentivise binge-watching, but I was terribly mistaken. Upon watching the first episode I was immediately compelled to proceed until I finally managed to stop at episode 5.

As one might know, my preference lies with light-hearted shows and cute things and comedic things. This is truly a great mix of them all, along with a relatively unique setting -- in fact, a setting I've coveted quite a bit, but have failed to find as much as I'd like.
Now then, I'm not sure how many people would classify this as a comedy, but it's definitely the thing I've laughed to the most in quite a while (exempting Konosuba). There's something about the cute slapstick, as opposed to a more aggressive slapstick, and I know there's more. I might analyse a couple of the earlier episodes -- which made me laugh a lot -- later down the line. Don't count on it.
There's also the way the "perfect" girl is not utterly evil towards the more incompetent protagonist and the way that the more incompetent protagonist does not have every bit of plot armour and plot devices working for her advantage. These are two other things I really appreciated in what I've seen thus far.

Finally, I like the characters of Atsuko, though she is a bit too gung-ho for me to be able to watch without getting embarrassed, of Diana, who is, in fact, the good person she tries to be, and Sucy, who is in every way awesome #bestfemalecharacter

Gabriel Dropout - EP 4

Reveal hidden contents

Unlike certain individuals, I never shared the scepticism this show seemed to be getting, with its seemingly tired premise and generic execution. I thought the premise was awesome, in fact!

It just so happens that once I got into it, I noticed that, despite the smile plastered on my face throughout the show, I wasn't really "liking it" as I had expected. Maybe it really was generic? I am really easy to influence, after all, the idea might have gotten somewhere into my head.

In as best a retrospect as I can muster now, I wasn't enjoying the character of Satania as much as I had expected to, and I'm not big fan of characters like Raphiel, though I can enjoy their antics at times.
Thankfully, as I gave it more of a chance, it grew on me a bit. The coffee owner? Excellent. Gabriel's personality? I empathise enough; excellent. Satania being on the receiving end of all the abuse, physical or otherwise? Excellent.

Did it grow on me or did something change? That, I do not know. What I do know is that I know find it to be a respectable comedy and will finish watching it.

Although I'll note I didn't notice too much in the translation side of things. Would a kind soul (@Fred the Barber) be able to show me examples of what is meant when one says that the subtitles are better than average?

Reveal hidden contents

I am a big fan of Kyoto Animation. Not for the reasons others seem to point out, such as animation (I'm incapable of noticing much difference in animation between pretty much anything -- though even I loved how goofy and derpy Konosuba insisted on being... to a point, didn't really notice it the first time), but because it's the first studio I ever watched anything from, and back when I started watching anime as I do now, I even thought such ridiculous things as them being one of the "few" anime studios, and only watched things from them for a while. Which turned out well, because I've liked everything I've seen from them.

So because I am prone to a fair degree of fanaticism, I always like anything they make. This is no exception, but I didn't like it as much as I thought I would, for varying reasons. First of all, I was under the impression this was a comedy, and whilst it is, it is not the comedy I expected, containing lesser funny moments than I would have preferred. Furthermore, I was under the impression it originated from a 4-koma comedy manga which only heightened my expectations for an uproariously funny show.
So yes, I came in with my perspective way too coloured by outside factors, but I managed to adjust.
Another problem I faced was one I've been noticing too much lately. I don't pay enough attention to the screen. Following the subtitles already require too much of my attention, to the point where I don't pay enough heed to what occurs, and as such I missed many things, such as Kanna's funny gags/cute moments. Add to this the fact that I didn't find Kanna particularly cute (I prefer goofy drawings to more shiny things) and that was another unexpected disappointment.

Oof. After all this complaining, I should note that it's still sitting at a 9/10 with potential for 8/10. But why? What is there to like?

Well, it is still a funny comedy when it tries to be, and it is quite full of heart-warming moments. I like Fafnir. I like Tohru and her clear love. I like Kobayashi and her dead fish eyes. I like seeing Kobayashi work and the way she looks like the 'typical Japanese father' of the house. I like how they project feelings of 'family'. I can't say I'm a fan of the more serious moments, but I overall quite like the whole bond they create here.

Youjo Senki - 9/10

Reveal hidden contents

Right from the start it seemed appealing. Unlike what I imagine would be most, I didn't need the second episode to be sold on the show. What I wanted, a tactical genius, a capable protagonist with a disregard for scruples, was here. Now to see her win things.

The show had much more than that, of course. Whereas I was only looking to see the protagonist bulldoze over her opponents, along with her atypical views of the world (essentially, all that one looks in a protagonist -- a personality of her own), the show contained plenty of political intrigue and tactical planning, as well as depictions of a grim side of the war. Other than that, it was also plenty fun at times, such as Tanya requiring specific furniture to accommodate her proportions or the gags at the end of the episodes.
The female lieutenant was also good fun, what with her seemingly innocent personality, but then the existence of plenty of moments where she is shown to be as much of a ruthless soldier as anyone else. She is an excellent foil, or perhaps complement, to Tanya. She was a side character, no doubt about it, but she was also Tanya's companion through it all.

It didn't always go exactly where I wanted it to. I never, unlike what I've found some people to think, wanted her to have a rival in power. That should be clear from my initial comments, actually. But all turned out well. After all, she is terribly overpowered.
I didn't like her for being crazy, you see, I liked her for her pragmatism and because she cared to win the war and get some quiet. That that was her objective was hilarious. That she was ruthless and conniving to achieve it was hilarious. That things backfired when she put her plots to attain an easy life into action was hilarious.

I didn't actually expect so many people to make it out alive, but I wager it was an effort to realign the plot with the novels.

I could list other things I really liked, such as her speech on human emotions and the Imperial Command's pragmatism, which ended up being their downfall, or how underpowered that one country was. How frightfully authentic.

Reveal hidden contents

ACCA was neither what I expected nor what I wanted, but I still really liked it.
I expected a show about uncovering hidden corruption within the organisation. I wanted the Inspection Department to be this powerful entity that strikes fear into each of the differing branches' hearts with their random audits and inspections. The show was neither of these things.

This was instead a show of political machinations and such situations going on behind the scenes, masterfully crafted, as all was interconnected, and all acted within their own motivations... Except the protagonist and his own personality. His personality is plenty similar to mine. In general, he doesn't really care and ends up just doing what he's told. This is the story of how events beyond his control end up highly affecting him, and how he maintains his passivity through it all regardless. Or tries to.
And those machinations? The majority isn't even shown to us. Our point of view is generally kept to that of the protagonist, and that's good. We're left out of the loop, like him, most of the time. We learn things with him, and at then end, all is unravelled, and all seems to be connected. A wonder; a wonderful, wondrous, wonder.

Aside from that, it was also a show that showcased the society of this country. What ACCA as an organisation is, and how it affected the population in each district -- something I rather enjoyed watching.

Reveal hidden contents

People say you shouldn't read the comments. Well, it was due to the comments I found out about this show, so, there!
And I can see why the comments would be the perfect place to find out about a show like this. I mean, who, with any dignity in him, would actively discuss this show? Exempting my personage, of course.

I have never seen anything as perverted with so little 'fanservice' and so little gross depictions. It was childish and adult alike. It was a show of double entendre, and simultaneously a parody of depictions of male characters in anime.
Imagine a premise of a girl's only high school turned cooed, where the protagonist is one of the few boys to be admitted in... See where it is going? Now imagine that most girls are perverts and that the protagonist isn't one in the least. Now make a comedy out of it and you have this show.

Mind you, whilst its perverted comedy is the main draw, there's plenty of other comedy here. It originated from a 4-koma comedy manga, after all.

I found this to be a really funny comedy most of the time, mainly because of how forward it is on its subject matter, whilst keeping it almost exclusively verbal. The exaggeration goes so far, in the end, that it's terribly hilarious.
Finally, I must mention the photographer, her hilarity, and her amazing voice acting (The teacher also had amazing voice acting).

I leave with this: Do not expect it to be the same as other perverted anime. I recommend anyone not entirely prudish give it a try and then decide.

Gi(a)rlish Number - 9/10

Reveal hidden contents

This starts as a show satirising the anime industry, and ends as a show about its characters.

To surmise what sells this show: Satire and Chi-sama (only a few people referred to her as such, but it fits remarkably well).
The satire demonstrates how voice actresses' acting capacity is not the most important, how incompetent people at the top end up causing unfortunately terrible anime and how such anime end up getting further seasons. But more importantly, Chisato, and how she made the show for me: She simultaneously has endless self confidence and confidence issues. She is blatantly two-faced. She is evidently selfish. And that makes her easy to get along with and laugh at (I'd say she is similar to Aqua in Konosuba).
I'd say she makes the show, and it's incredibly funny to see others getting development and progressing with their careers whilst she remains the same. But, alas, all has to end.
Ironically enough, her getting development might be what I least liked in the show, not so much for that very fact itself, but through its execution. And it was so close to getting that 10 and ending my streak of 9's...
Why was her final confession emotional at all? Who cared about that? Whatever way she chose to motivate herself, what do others care? Why would anyone be proud, or happy, at what she said? I can't say I found much sense in what I had hoped would be an epic final episode.

Still, I can't forget how much I laughed all through the earlier half. It was really awesome.

Kiss Him Not Me - EP 3

Reveal hidden contents

I was this close to not finishing the first episode, due to how it parodied other generic shoujo by reproducing them with no intent to follow through on the romance department. Thankfully, I stuck with it, and I now see it as enough of a comedy to proceed.

And it is a fairly good premise. I've seen similar, though not in a reverse harem situation specifically. It has tremendous potential for comedy, depending on what they do with it. Be careful never to go so far as making me think there might be a main romance partner and I think I should be able to handle it fine.

Credit where credit is due, I really like the protagonist's voice, by the same actress as the teacher in Seitokai Yakuindomo. She sounds so unnaturally natural, is how I'd put it.

Meticulous in expressing your opinions would be a more apt expression.

7 hours ago, Mr Poltroon said:

Hide contents

Gabriel Dropout - EP 4

Hide contents

Hide contents

Youjo Senki - 9/10

Hide contents

Hide contents

Hide contents

Gi(a)rlish Number - 9/10

Hide contents

Kiss Him Not Me - EP 3

Hide contents

Love your write up. I've seen the bulk of these except for acca13. I agree with almost everything you've said on those shows. Little witch is just one of those shows that makes me smile throughout it, and laugh at its goofy moments; I even feel moved when they start playing that major plot music each time (damnit I'm such a softy.) Shows that make me smile in spite of myself are gold in my books.

My only differences are in Kiss him and Seitokai. While I really liked Kiss him not me initially, it got tired by the end and it stopped being funny. So while I surprised myself by liking it, by the end I was bored. Additionally with Seitokai for some reason I just could not find it funny - I smiled with the premise, but I didn't actually laugh at almost any jokes in it and found it quite sleep inducing. By comparison, similar adult jokes were in Oshiete Galko chan in a short format and with real world settings rather than an absurd school setting, and I found it hilarious. Comedy's like that; one can never predict why it will work for some and not others.

As for the translation in Gabriel Drop out, I think I noticed it mostly because I was listening to the Japanese which I understood and saw something completely different written at the bottom of the screen - and yet it captured the nuance of the Japanese perfectly despite that.

What he said ^

The first thing that caught my eye in Gabriel Dropout was the extremely liberal use, and periodic horrible abuse for comedic effect, of biblical terminology in the subtitles, which is of course completely absent in Japanese but extremely common in English. The subtitlers used it to great effect in characterization, with it working differently for each of the characters they had: there's an episode where Vigne, the goody-goody devil, sits down in front of her meal and says いただす, or, as the TL had it, "Through the Dark Lord, amen." Then she does it again later in the episode, exactly the same, for good measure.

That's just one example; it's kind of the tip of the iceberg, the first thing you see before you fall in and notice just how much is going on under the surface. The more Japanese you understand, the more you'll recognize just how much liberty they took with the script, and the more familiar you are with what I would characterize as typical American sitcom vernacular, the more familiar (and funny) the patter of the English dialogue will feel. It just sounds vastly more like how people would actually talk to each other than typical anime subtitles.

Edit: Just watched the last episode, and one memorable line had a character use the phrase "open a can of divine retribution" (i.e., instead of "open a can of whoop ass", and further instead of probably something super bland if translated literally like "do something horrible to me", though admittedly I didn't actually hear the Japanese that time). That's some good shit right there.

Edited by Fred the Barber

Here's the two other shows I forgot that I was in the process of watching. I also intend to watch Seinen at some point.

Interviews with Monster Girls - 8/10

Spoiler

I suppose one can claim I was excited all around for this show. Unfortunately, I feel like I missed something. This is a case in point of having my expectations heightened too much.

Don't be fooled, I liked this quite a lot. The MC teacher? Fantastic. Acts like an adult and teacher most of the time. Because the anime focuses on his interactions with those specific girls, my perception is biased and it feels like he does nothing else, which is a bit of a negative for me.
The other teacher? I really liked her. Contrary to my expectations, I found her "cute". As I've expressed before, I tend to only fine goofier or more chibi-style drawings/characters cute, so it really felt unusual. Nevertheless, her personality made up for the gap, making me root for her and really find her to be the cutest thing. I mean, she was both and adult and a child in her innocent and not so innocent efforts at seduction. It's not the first time I see this, but the execution here landed really well with me.

I also have to praise their many "interviews", where they delve into possible explanations for these demi-humans. I mean, the teacher's friend was not only hilarious, he also allowed me to really notice how much effort they put into animating things during the explanations, with visual aid and gags. Also in terms of its more serious subjects, I appreciated the various viewpoints it showcases as for how someone "different" might feel, both about their differences and for how people act towards them.

As for the rest of the characters, Yuki had more facets than it initially appeared, with her more light-hearted and comedic side, and I really just liked Machi all around -- something about her crush and how she functioned as a dullahan; they had a lot of potential to create interesting situations, and they bloody well took advantage of it! I did find that the vampire felt terribly generic to me, sadly.

After all this praise, I'm not even sure why it's only getting an 8/10. I believe it to be because it just failed to resonate with me at some of the more... clichéd or sappy moments, and so it just felt sappy. I have some difficulty understanding exactly what kind of sappy I like and what kind I don't (I'm watching another show that contains such moments and that one's flying really well with me), and whilst I suspect a careful analysis of such scenes might help me figure it out, I am unwilling to contribute the effort.

(To exemplify, the last episode had three such scenes that really pushed the wrong buttons, probably for all the wrong reasons, and are likely the culprits behind me landing on an 8/10.
They had a whole scene dedicated to Machi going underwater, and when she did everyone was looking at her and that was just... ugh. Certainly, it's supposed to be a unique moment for a dullahan, but I'm not one, so the whole fanfare over it bothered me more than it should have. This only became a problem because I have a lot of issues with pool/beach scenes -- I don't see what's so enjoyable about playing in the water or the sand. I get swimming. I don't get splashing each other for half an hour. It also happens every blasted time, so that bothers me too. Gabriel Dropout avoided this issue because I shared Gabriel's views, facilitating the whole experience.
Finally, that it ended on a "Remember how we met" scene bothered me terribly. It was a "nice save", the fact that it was no more than a scheme to get over being tardy, but the very presence of the trope was enough to sour my experience.
This is obviously unfair, but these things only bother me when I'm otherwise not immersed in the experience, which is by itself a bad thing. Had I been truly enjoying it, I'm sure I'd have glossed over all these little details and found little to complain about.)

Masamune-kun's Revenge - EP 4 - 8/10 - ON HOLD

Spoiler

You may find the fact that something I've put on hold is so highly rated weird. Don't. This is a simple case of me being able to tell when things are about to go south and stopping before it's too late. It's also a bit weird that I decided to rate it already, I think it might be this feeling I have that it'll be years before I pick it up again.

All in all, I enjoyed a lot of what I saw, a lot. The protagonist was awesome. He's stupid and has severe confidence issues, and so draws from the endless list of shoujo tropes. As an avid reader of shoujo, this was hilarious. Unfortunately, my patience only goes so far. Whilst the love interest captured my attention for a while there, and they really were cute, I can tell when something has no plans to go anywhere. Mostly because the anime fan communities couldn't shut up about it.
When a third wheel appeared, I immediately dropped it. No point sticking any longer. I'll finish it whenever the manga concludes and gets translated. See you in twenty.

Keep in mind that there are few things I hate as much as love triangles, but they do exist, like "harems" that don't go anywhere and are therefore not actually harems.

On 18/04/2017 at 0:55 AM, Fred the Barber said:

Edit: Just watched the last episode, and one memorable line had a character use the phrase "open a can of divine retribution" (i.e., instead of "open a can of whoop ass", and further instead of probably something super bland if translated literally like "do something horrible to me", though admittedly I didn't actually hear the Japanese that time). That's some good shit right there.

I can just tell I wouldn't give enough credit to the translators. I probably would notice lines like this one, but I had no idea all the biblical/divine references were not in the original.

The only times I can notice a good translation effort are in manga and Visual Novels, where I've actually got enough time to process what I read properly.
In anime I certainly notice them a lot less... Or I guess I only notice bad translations?

On 18/04/2017 at 9:55 AM, Fred the Barber said:

I checked it out for reference. Firstly in the line just before it, she keeps calling herself a faillen angel rather than just a fallen angel, and there's no actual fail in the Japanese, just fallen. The divine retribution line is お仕置き設けてしまう oshioki moukete shimau which in literal translation is simply "she'll provide me a punishment", and after sanitising for less literal translation most would probably have translated it to no more than "she'll punish me." Now turn that into "pop a can of divine retribution" and see how well it fits with the angelic context of the show, sounds very much like modern English, and yet is completely different from the original without actually missing the nuance... just wow. I'd go so far as to say the translation is a better script than the original Japanese.

1 hour ago, Mr Poltroon said:

Masamune-kun's Revenge - EP 4 - 8/10 - ON HOLD

Reveal hidden contents

You may find the fact that something I've put on hold is so highly rated weird. Don't. This is a simple case of me being able to tell when things are about to go south and stopping before it's too late. It's also a bit weird that I decided to rate it already, I think it might be this feeling I have that it'll be years before I pick it up again.

All in all, I enjoyed a lot of what I saw, a lot. The protagonist was awesome. He's stupid and has severe confidence issues, and so draws from the endless list of shoujo tropes. As an avid reader of shoujo, this was hilarious. Unfortunately, my patience only goes so far. Whilst the love interest captured my attention for a while there, and they really were cute, I can tell when something has no plans to go anywhere. Mostly because the anime fan communities couldn't shut up about it.
When a third wheel appeared, I immediately dropped it. No point sticking any longer. I'll finish it whenever the manga concludes and gets translated. See you in twenty.

Keep in mind that there are few things I hate as much as love triangles, but they do exist, like "harems" that don't go anywhere and are therefore not actually harems.

Masamune-kun ends up sucking dicks by the end. Just when it looks like it's going to turn in a direction you don't like, it just keeps meandering around aimlessly in unexpected directions that don't advance the plot and by the end achieves... nothing. I started out liking it and by the end I was left scratching my head. 

Got up to ep11 of Death Note and, (sigh) I'm going to get soo much shit for this, but I don't really care for it. The foundation of the plot, the death note and the battle of wits, is interesting.... but none of the characters are engaging or anything approaching likable. So during scenes my mind wanders away from the characters dialogue and I start noticing all the animation hick-ups and plot holes I would usually ignore in a body of work that had characters I was invested in. 

Although I have to say I find the "dramatic" bits, you know where they put most of their animation budget, fucking hilarious. If Renai Boukun is actually a Death Note Parody, I will have to watch it because it has the potential to be comedy gold. 

Currently watching Haikyuu!! I usually don't watch sports anime, but I still enjoy them. Haikyuu!! is something else though. It's absolutely amazing. Everything is done so well and it's an emotional roller coaster for me. It's not overly predictable, and even if I did know what was going to happen next I think with this show it's the how you get there that matters not so much where you really end up. It's also really motivational for me since I feel like I was in a slump. Couldn't be better.

Basically it's a great show, I see why it's one of (if not THE) top sports show. 

2 minutes ago, Polycentric said:

Currently watching Haikyuu!! I usually don't watch sports anime, but I still enjoy them. Haikyuu!! is something else though. It's absolutely amazing. Everything is done so well and it's an emotional roller coaster for me. It's not overly predictable, and even if I did know what was going to happen next I think with this show it's the how you get there that matters not so much where you really end up. It's also really motivational for me since I feel like I was in a slump. Couldn't be better.

Basically it's a great show, I see why it's one of (if not THE) top sports show. 

Loved it. My wife and I have watched it through more than once, even though neither of us is a sports fan. There's only one sports anime I loved even better: Cross Game, and it finished a long time ago so if you're itching for another sports anime and to have even more closure than Haikyuu, that one is it. Heck I keep saying everyone should watch Cross Game at least once.

Kara no Kyoukai's pretty cool. Watching the first movie is like wtf is this shit you know absolute jack but a few movies in when you finally get to settle down with the lore and characters things get quite interesting.

Musta been quite nasty waiting for the movies to come out back then though. binging is the way to go for this

3 hours ago, Eclipsed said:

Kara no Kyoukai's pretty cool. Watching the first movie is like wtf is this shit you know absolute jack

More or less my reaction at the original film, yes. Unfortunately, I have neither the time nor patience to proceed with the rest of the lot, so that's just one more of those stories I don't plan on experiencing.

1 hour ago, Mr Poltroon said:

More or less my reaction at the original film, yes. Unfortunately, I have neither the time nor patience to proceed with the rest of the lot, so that's just one more of those stories I don't plan on experiencing.

Sad, but completely reasonable. Kara no Kyoukai sets on one of the thrones of my personal holy anime trinity, along with Steins;Gate and Haibane Renmei, for it's excellent animation, direction, and dare I say it..... unique story.

But it certainly has it's flaws. The movies are out of order for no real reason except to confuse the viewer, the dialogue has a tendency to meander waxing poetic for  allot longer than it should, Azaka Kokutou doesn't die in a horrible limb ripping "accident", and the epilogue threatens to undermine the entirety of the second movie. 

Edited by Soulless Watcher